Official Marvel Cinematic Universe thread

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Official Marvel Cinematic Universe thread

Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:08 pm

Quit confusing the history of the real world with the history of the MCU. Yes, they can have ASL 7,000 years ago because there's room for *every* coincidence in the Multiverse and it's just a coincidence that Makkarri's sign language looks exactly like ASL.

How confusing is it be to a sign reader to watch others signing in a language one doesn't know with text subtitles in your normal language superimposed? Is it a similar effect to watching dubbed English come out of the Chinese-speaking lips of all them kung fu actors of olde?
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:17 pm

As far as I can tell, yes it's ASL:

If that takes you out of the movie, it's a real shame because there is so much to love about that moment.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:49 pm

Ugh
wrote: DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS (Disney) previously dated on 3/25/22 moves to 5/6/22

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER (Disney) previously dated on 5/6/22 moves to 7/8/22

BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER (Disney) previously dated on 7/8/22 moves to 11/11/22

THE MARVELS (Disney) previously dated on 11/11/22 moves to 2/17/23

ANT-MAN AND THE WASP: QUANTUMANIA (Disney) previously dated on 2/17/23 moves to 7/28/23

UNTITLED MARVEL (Disney) previously dated on 7/28/23 is removed from schedule
heinousjoe
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:16 pm

I haven't looked into it yet, but is it only marvel moving their movies and is Disney moving theirs too?
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:26 pm

I've only seen Marvel ones but don't pay attention to much else anymore. Apparently MOM is doing reshoots and this shift may be to accommodate a longer post-production. GOTG3 is the only one maintaining its release date, so maybe that one wasn't as affected by delays.
sepster
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:34 pm

Indiana Jones 5 was also delayed.
K_Steel
Prognostibator

Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:14 am

AdrienVeidt wrote:
Quit confusing the history of the real world with the history of the MCU. Yes, they can have ASL 7,000 years ago because there's room for *every* coincidence in the Multiverse and it's just a coincidence that Makkarri's sign language looks exactly like ASL.

How confusing is it be to a sign reader to watch others signing in a language one doesn't know with text subtitles in your normal language superimposed? Is it a similar effect to watching dubbed English come out of the Chinese-speaking lips of all them kung fu actors of olde?
At the very least, let's hope the primitive human tribes of 7000 years ago aren't speaking modern-day English. :lol:

I would have preferred a different invented sign-language for the scenes from one thousand years ago, along with a unique alien language spoken among the Eternals and subbed. And then they would learn the languages of the primitive human societies, or used advanced translators.. like on classic Trek.
Ru_1977 wrote:

Ha. Even people in the Twitter comments notice that ASL 7000 years ago doesn't make much sense. It's weird.

We'll see if it's explained in the film.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:24 am

To me it's not that big of a deal. Asgardians speak English, as does Yondu.
SalemCrow
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:09 am

A talking racoon and a walking/talking tree man took me right out of the Guardians movies. I couldn't get into them with those 2 involved. :lol: :lol: :lol:
fac
CROM!

Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:23 am

K_Steel wrote:
I would have preferred a different invented sign-language for the scenes from one thousand years ago, along with a unique alien language spoken among the Eternals and subbed. And then they would learn the languages of the primitive human societies, or used advanced translators.. like on classic Trek.
Last thing I want to do is have to read subtitles during some special effects laden action-fu battle sequence among aliens/mutants/creatures so that the linguistic development of humanity is portrayed more realistically.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:35 am

fac wrote:
K_Steel wrote:
Last thing I want to do is have to read subtitles during some special effects laden action-fu battle sequence among aliens/mutants/creatures so that the linguistic development of humanity is portrayed more realistically.
I would love if that's the final word on the matter but I guess we'll see.
K_Steel
Prognostibator

Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:48 am

fac wrote:

For just a few flashback scenes, you'll manage.

Especially for a film that's rooted in different cultures, that's supposed to be a celebration of human diversity throughout time. It would be jarring to have such obvious language discrepancies.
DetectiveHoag
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:06 am

K_Steel wrote:
AdrienVeidt wrote:

At the very least, let's hope the primitive human tribes of 7000 years ago aren't speaking modern-day English. :lol:

Ru_1977 wrote:

Ha. Even people in the Twitter comments notice that ASL 7000 years ago doesn't make much sense. It's weird.

We'll see if it's explained in the film.
Perhaps, in the MCU, ASL was founded from the Old sign language. That would explain the similarities.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:53 am

K_Steel wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:48 am
It would be jarring to have such obvious language discrepancies.
Eh, for a few flashback scenes, you'll manage.
K_Steel
Prognostibator

Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:04 pm

DetectiveHoag wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:06 am

Perhaps, in the MCU, ASL was founded from the Old sign language. That would explain the similarities.
Yeah, a logical explanation like that would make sense.

I've been reading the reviews. It's a very dense, intelligently-written film supposedly, not written down to be accessible to idiots.

Putting thought into how the languages are portrayed throughout time would really show a respect for the audience.

Based on the reviews, the Justice League parallels are interesting.

Return to “The Multiplex”