Last Series You Binged

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
Ted
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Last Series You Binged

Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:35 am

it's only... 9:15! :lol:

that gag had me and roommates rolling
jimbles
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:58 pm

Ted wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:35 am
it's only... 9:15! :lol:

that gag had me and roommates rolling
As a 30-something, that joke gave me the best kind of anxiety :lol: The show really captures the loss of your 20s immortality.

I loved the Skate Dad episode, too. It almost had a golden age Simpsons feel to it, with plenty of good destructive physical gag jokes and an odd sort of family sweetness.
Bashbash99
CROM!

Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:43 pm

Anybody watching The Third Day on HBO? kind of a Wicker Man type show with Jude Law. Though the 1st 3 episodes were pretty good. Seems like the show will pivot now, featuring a new star (Naomie Harris) for the next 3 episodes.
Dormammu
Mumu of Evil

Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:34 am

Raised by Wolves

It's pretty good - familiar territory to big scifi fans but with some much-appreciated good performances, cool mysteries and twists, and some outstanding Scott family art direction. In other words, it's a great series for me. Each episode felt like a mini-movie.

As much as I liked it, and will definitely return to see what happens in the 2nd season, I hope they reduce the number of non-essential, sit-around draggy parts. For example, to spice up some mid-season parts a bit, I would have appreciated even just an accumulated minute of high-budg flashbacks spliced in, showing more of the previous conflict. What little they showed was great and such a tease for more.

I also would have liked more logical exploration, mapping, quick science, a few minutes of exposition or idle discussion, anything... in regards to the planet itself. As thirteen years go by, it becomes apparent that the colonists know next to nothing about the new world. Okay, mystery is good. I love it. I enjoy all the tidbits they find, except they mainly ignore them.
Spoiler! :
Hey, all this planet life and the weird pits are wild and worth study, but whatever. Hey, we found some inexplicable non-human ruins. HEY, we discovered intelligent lifeforms here. Oh well, let's just eat them. Praise Sol. :P
I think they'll make up for it next season. Intro to the people and their conflicts in Season 1. We're going to get an intro to the planet hopefully in Season 2.
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale

Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:13 pm

I wrapped up The Good Place on Netflix, and am bittersweet sad now. *sigh*
Bashbash99
CROM!

Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:07 pm

Started watching the Santa Clarita Diet on netflix and am burning thru episodes rapidly. Fun show, wouldn't have guessed Tim Olyphant had the comedic chops for this. Kind of reminds me of when Brad Dillahunt went into comedy mode for Raising Hope.
Ted
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:46 am

Just finished season one of Harley Quinn and it was really [email protected]#$ good actually. It's like Daria only with supervillains and murders.
Bashbash99
CROM!

Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:14 pm

Dormammu wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:34 am
Raised by Wolves

It's pretty good - familiar territory to big scifi fans but with some much-appreciated good performances, cool mysteries and twists, and some outstanding Scott family art direction. In other words, it's a great series for me. Each episode felt like a mini-movie.

As much as I liked it, and will definitely return to see what happens in the 2nd season, I hope they reduce the number of non-essential, sit-around draggy parts. For example, to spice up some mid-season parts a bit, I would have appreciated even just an accumulated minute of high-budg flashbacks spliced in, showing more of the previous conflict. What little they showed was great and such a tease for more.

I also would have liked more logical exploration, mapping, quick science, a few minutes of exposition or idle discussion, anything... in regards to the planet itself. As thirteen years go by, it becomes apparent that the colonists know next to nothing about the new world. Okay, mystery is good. I love it. I enjoy all the tidbits they find, except they mainly ignore them.
Spoiler! :
Hey, all this planet life and the weird pits are wild and worth study, but whatever. Hey, we found some inexplicable non-human ruins. HEY, we discovered intelligent lifeforms here. Oh well, let's just eat them. Praise Sol. :P
I think they'll make up for it next season. Intro to the people and their conflicts in Season 1. We're going to get an intro to the planet hopefully in Season 2.
I enjoyed the show but i think if someone was expecting satisfying resolutions to the mysteries the show posed they might come away pretty disappointed. One of those shows were you have to go with the flow and enjoy the ride.. and probably one where the viewer is likely to come up with better explanations for why certain things happen than whatever explanation the show ultimately provides. I'm definitely up for watching a second season, though.

I particularly enjoyed Mother and Father, thought the actors performed very well in those roles. My least favorite character was Marcus, who started off ok but more boring as the series progressed. Or maybe i 'm just tired of Travis Fimmel's "the character i'm playing always seems drunk" approach. He should really get a part in the next Pirates of the Caribbean movie with that schtick.
Ted
Runs Around in Tights

Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:49 am

working my way through Helstrom. Daimon is such a bitch. Satana, cough, I'm sorry... "Ana" is by far the most fun character. Maybe Daimon gets more fun later. Gabriella is so far annoying but that's just my antichristian bias speaking. Also there's a couple things about the mom that don't make sense to me. We'll see how this goes. Definitely not getting a second season.

and the demons are lame so far, just mostly boring, boring possessed humans.
AdrienVeidt

Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:55 pm

Wrapped up Agents of SHIELD on NF over the weekend. I thought I only had one season to go but apparently there were two left. I was never really deeply in love with the show but I'm sad it's over. Watching this plucky little side show to the overall MCU try to stay relevent despite corporate screwery with nice character acting was fun, and they did give a lot of decent characters a good send-off.

But still I'm sad.
Bashbash99
CROM!

Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:26 pm

Started watching Wayne on Amazon Prime (originally it was on Youtube premium, like Cobra Kai). Sort of a poor man's version of The End of the F***ing World, or maybe a better description would be a more americanized version of that show. Its OK so far imo (3 episodes in), but i'm very biased as it is largely set in my hometown of Brockton, MA, and the show does a nice job of humorously depicting the more down-and-out parts of that city.
jimbles
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:24 am

It's been well over a decade since I've last seen it, but I'm neck deep into the Death Note anime once again via Crunchyroll. Man alive, man alive... some of those scenes were just absolutely ice cold and stopped you in your tracks. The delivery is just absolutely jaw dropping at times, and holds up well even to this day. Holistically I wouldn't call it a top 10 anime for me, not even top 20, but as far as individual scenes and build-ups go it's got hands down some of the finest dramatic moments ever animated and it has been a blast revisiting those scenes.

Aside from the nostalgia trip, it's also bringing back long lost memories of hanging out with friends during college, well into the wee hours of the morning, shooting the shit and talking anime and other nerd practices. Speculating on plots, giving recommendations, debating this and that, digging up vintage treasures and sharing them with others... Now as a crappy full fledged adult it's carefree times like those that I wish I could recapture, but I get the warm-fuzzies just remembering them with a conduit like Death Note.
Bashbash99
CROM!

Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:21 pm

Last weekend had a 'free tv' promotion on Comcast so i binged The Good Lord Bird. Highly entertaining show about abolitionist John Brown's doomed attempt to create an army by taking over Harper's Ferry. Ethan Hawke is amazing as Brown, very over-the-top performance. The show was quite humorous as well, especially in the earlier episodes before things get more grim for Brown & company. Daveed Diggs as a full-of-himself Frederick Douglass was a lot of fun, too.

Kinda makes me want to read the book. Anyhow the first ep is free on amazon prime so i recommend checking it out.
Ted
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:49 pm

if you have showtime that's where it aired. Good Lord Bird was a very entertaining watch. I'd recommend it highly.

Caught WAYNE on Amazon recently. I would also recommend this show. It's pretty over the top but fun, imo. From the writers of Deadpool, it's about a kid who goes on a quest to reclaim his father's sweet ride from the man that stole it from him, plus he finds love along the way. Was a youtube show but Amazon picked it up.
AdrienVeidt

Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:16 pm

Saw the 3rd season of Young Justice was on HBOMax, and am now doing a complete rewatch. This show is amazing once you can see all the hints they drop all along the way. When Sportsmaster and Aqualad are fighting in the Rhelasian conference,
Spoiler! :
SM mentions having eyes inside the YJ operation and they flash to AL and then immediately pan up to Red Arrow as SM finishes his line while we're all thinking Artemis
. Just excellent work all around and easily the best DCU series that's not Timmverse.

Return to “The Multiplex”