Last Series You Binged

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
TFitz
Master of Avatars
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Last Series You Binged

Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:49 pm

Just finished Lucifer. Fun series, but it was a little shocking to realize you watched a 5 season long story for insurance.
kailryu
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:27 pm

The Boys

Thematically a better Watchmen show than Watchmen was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:35 am

Finishing up the second season of The New Legends of Monkey. I love this Gosh Darn show.
Capman
Amalgam version of "Bat America"

Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:42 pm

Loving Alone right now. Anyone else watching this?
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:41 am

The Midnight Gospel.

It's a masterful animated series that released on Netflix in April. It's from Pendleton Ward, the creator of Adventure Time. The series combines a podcast with wacky Adventure Time logic and existential themes. Highly recommended.
Bashbash99
CROM!

Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:20 pm

Dunno about binging, but watching Raised by Wolves on hbo max and enjoying it quite a bit. Deals with typical Ridley Scott Android vs human stuff but quite entertaining nonetheless imo

Also watching Away on Netflix, Hilary Swank leads a crew of astronauts on the 1st trip to Mars. Fairly conventional plots but still enjoyable.

Lovecraft country continues to be pretty great and enjoying the Boys as well. Just started watching Hanna season 2 but I’m not quite as enthusiastic about that compared to these other shows.

Kinda crazy that there are 0 shows I’m watching outside of streaming services right now but definitely plan to watch the new season of Fargo at the end of September
Ted
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:24 am

Almost done with Gentefied on Netflix. A widowed grandfather struggles to run the family taqueria amidst gentrification with his grandchildren, 3 cousins (1 of which is lgbt). We need more brown entertainment. It's not perfect, but I'm forgiving.

May as well mention Diableros, every bit as bad as Supernatural, but with Mexicans, and consequently, more swagger.
Capman
Amalgam version of "Bat America"

Last Series You Binged

Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:52 am

Luther on BBC is great but kind of crazy. No one should want to live in London with this rogues gallery.
DerRabbi
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:35 am

Ramy and Pen15 both on Hulu
MisterPL
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:59 pm

I just finished the first season of Krypton. I'm not sure if it was my low expectations for a SyFy series that helped but I found it surprisingly enjoyable. I'm a couple episodes into Season 2 and already starting to see why it was canceled.
Ted
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:40 pm

DerRabbi wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:35 am
Ramy and Pen15 both on Hulu
Ramy has been interesting, and boy does that character make stupid decisions.

does Pen15 have a new season out?

and since I'm thinking of shows I watched on Hulu I need access to AP Bio season 3...
DerRabbi
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:01 pm

Pen15 was mid production in season 2 at shut down. They just released the first 7 episodes with the last 7 to show later. Yeah Ramy is very good. The mom is such a great comedic actor.
hurricanebtvs
Wannabe Mod FAIL!

Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:57 am

Joe Pera Talks with You. Wholesome gold
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:18 am

Got through all of Dragon's Dogma pretty quick. It was okay. Pretty solid in the way it does the 'monster of the week' format, or 'boss per level' format as it were. You've got seven episodes themed to a 'sin' and there's a primary monster villain for each episode. In that sense, it's fun. You get to watch basically super-powered D&D characters fight monsters every half-hour episode.

I was not big on the animation. It looks nice for the most part, but I have two major problems with it; the characters walk very stilted and short-stepped and it looks pretty weird and wrong, and the monsters all have almost a totally different animation style than the rest of the show and, to me, it just looks absolutely awful.

And there's one female character that basically just exists to show her tits. Like, I get what they were trying to do, but it also feels very much like an episode dedicated to everything sexist and eye-roll-inducing about anime. So that was an irritant.

Also, the show pretty much shits all over the actual Dragon's Dogma video game story. It almost feels more like they pulled basic elements from the game and then just did their own thing with it. I don't really care, myself, but I imagine it bothered some game fans. Either way, it was a fun watch but I'm also glad it was only 7 half-hour episodes because I was getting checked out by the end.
jimbles
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:57 am

Finished up season 1 of Close Enough.

I was super into Regular Show but had mixed feelings about what I saw with Close Enough as info on it was trickling out some years ago. RS was great because it captured how stupid and pathetic and weird you can be in your aimless 20s, and wrapped up in a really poignant way with an ending that felt like a perfect transition into the mysterious years of your 30s. Wasn't quite sure if Close Enough and its adult-oriented humor would capture the same type of vibe, but honestly... it's great. I typically hate modern adult humor cartoons but this is an exception. It's almost as out there and full of nonsense as RS, and the idea of aiming that insanity towards an early parenthood setup really panned out well. It might be a little *too* sex joke reliant at times, which I think is the cheapest type of humor, but the misadventures the characters find themselves in develop really well in the short episode format and the jokes (however risqué) gel more often than they drag.

On top of the jokes, I find the characters to be a pretty solid mixed bag of neurotic and weird people. Some hit better than others, and some feel like instruments of plot convenience rather than developed voices but it's getting there. It's fairly obvious that the two main characters get like 85% of all development and the side characters are only developed incidentally to the actions of the mains but in the span of 10 minutes they can pretty adeptly add new dimensions to characters. It has room to grow, and with how JG Quintel pushed out of the by-the-numbers kids cartoon realm and set Mordecai and Rigby apart it gives me confidence that we'll see the same again. So long as Close Enough gets enough episodes to expand with, that is.

Verdict: Watch it!

I guess this show is kinda frigging hard to come across for some. Internationally it's on Netflix apparently, but for us US people you need to log in to... HBO Max. And that's it, I think? Which stinks because Roku doesn't have a Max app, so I ended up watching it on my computer which is not ideal. It's way more complicated than the initial TBS broadcast that it was supposed to get.

Return to “The Multiplex”