Last Series You Binged

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Last Series You Binged

Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:51 pm

We rewatched Mindhunter again. Still hoping they come back for a third season sometime soon.

I tried to binge Better Call Saul before we got onto the second part of the last season, but my wife objected since we'd just done that before the first part of the final season, heh. I'll definitely rewatch season one of Reservation Dogs before I get to the second season of that though.
Fly4v
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:46 am

Binged Strange New Worlds and Picard before my Paramount trial gave out.

Wish there was more SNW. That really hit the mark on most points. So much better than the final episode of Discovery with the Enterprise.

Really want SNW on DVD.

Picard. :?... don't want to say anything spoiler-ish. :rolleyes:
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale

Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:24 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:58 pm
I've rewatched SG-1 and Atlantis way too many times and while SG1 is almost unarguably the better show overall, Atlantis does not get nearly enough credit for how good it actually is - especially once it really gets going late in Season 2-ish. They really get you to care about characters that could have just as easily turned into cardboard cutouts. [email protected]#$ Woolsey! How did they make me love Woolsey!?
This is now a Stargate thread, uncool fools get out.

My biggest beef with SGA was the change from that awesome blonde Weir from the SG1 2-parter to the drastic downgrade to bland Weir. Both Weir and Teyla were blander than unflavored mayonnaise and the show only got good once Ronon came in to do stuff Teyla was meant for and Weir got Replicatored into a better actress and replaced entirely. I never warmed to Beckett either, as every single word out the man's mouth was a whine. I also never believed the Wraith could take out the Ancients, either.

But man, that Puddlejumper...
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:40 pm

AdrienVeidt wrote: My biggest beef with SGA was the change from that awesome blonde Weir from the SG1 2-parter to the drastic downgrade to bland Weir. Both Weir and Teyla were blander than unflavored mayonnaise and the show only got good once Ronon came in to do stuff Teyla was meant for and Weir got Replicatored into a better actress and replaced entirely. I never warmed to Beckett either, as every single word out the man's mouth was a whine. I also never believed the Wraith could take out the Ancients, either.
I liked Weir well enough, but Teyla was soooooooooo boring. Her story was boring. Her people were boring. She was definitely there to be the tough girl, which is fine, but they didn't really develop her beyond that and it was blazingly obvious all the time. I didn't actually like Dex very much either, since he was so obviously the token 'cool guy badass' with also basically zero development. Agree that Beckett was whiny, but I still had a fondness for him. Definitely not my favorite character - but I still got hit in the feels with the clone storyline.

I think the Wraith were almost incidental to the fall of the Ancients. Fittingly, it seemed more like the ancient tales of Atlantis where it becomes more about the hubris and sloth of the Atlanteans causing them to be unprepared to deal with basically any mobilized, ordered threat against them. And the Wraith being bugs makes total sense to that because you can press that idea that, like bugs, they just keep coming back and are incredibly difficult to fully eradicate. No matter how many roaches you kill in New York, there will always be more of them than there are people.
Even in the 'modern day' it often felt like the Wraith would have been much less of a threat if the SG crew wasn't constantly on survival mode in a distant place with limited supplies and limited ability to get military aid.

And yeah, the Puddle Jumper is cool. Probably one of the most practical designs in sci-fi, really.

I finished Sandman. No one probably needs me to point out that it was absolutely awesome. Loved it. No notes. It was that good.

While I'm not -binging- it, I did also just watch the first episode of the Beavis & Butt-head revival. Hasn't seemed to have missed a beat, and it's still funny in just the stupidest way that you almost feel ashamed for laughing at it.
wraith1701
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:49 pm

The Sandman. It was freaking EXCELLENT! Hoping it performs well enough to give us a few more seasons…
AdrienVeidt

Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:52 pm

Sandman was indeed better than it had any real right to be, and Gaiman strong-arming control of it all is no doubt why it is.

Azazel looked cool as shit in motion, too. I didn't like that Lucifer fought Morpheus, it should have stayed Chronozon's fight, imho. That's too overt a move for Lucifer, imho.
AdrienVeidt

Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:29 pm

Just rounded the corner onto Orville S2 on D+ and am realizing this show was much better from the get-go than I'd first thought. Now that I know them all the jokes aren't as 'disruptive' to the overall plot/theme of the story; and there's a lot more subtle emotions being shown than I'd caught at first. Seth was much too 'self-inserty' with the jokes and how the whole Union culture just somehow digs 20C cultural stuff that Seth himself likes; but he's had a solid grasp of what makes a good scifi adventure/morality play plotline from day one, imho.

I'm still flabbergasted that Tyrese plays Klyden. I just can't see him under all that makeup.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:43 pm

You said Tyrese and I thought you meant this guy:

But now I get you were referencing a character the actor played on another show. But I definitely had trouble seeing Tyrese Gibson under that makeup as well.
AdrienVeidt

Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:22 pm

Chad was Tyrese on The Walking Dead, and is the guy in the It's Always Sunny meme:

AND he's this guy:

I'm just reeling by how much he disappears into the role partially by being *nothing* like the other two characters. He's up there with Oldman in Red Dragon or Colin Farrell as the Penguin, imho.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:08 pm

AdrienVeidt wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:22 pm
Chad was Tyrese on The Walking Dead, and is the guy in the It's Always Sunny meme:

AND he's this guy:

I'm just reeling by how much he disappears into the role partially by being *nothing* like the other two characters. He's up there with Oldman in Red Dragon or Colin Farrell as the Penguin, imho.
Oh no, I totally figured that out. He was on the Wire a little bit too, like a ton of other people. And I LOVE his character on Always Sunny. But when you said that, I couldn't believe that could be Gibson (and eventually deduced it wasn't). And yeah, still don't really see Coleman either, heh. I haven't seen much of the show yet (started the premiere but got interrupted and haven't gotten back to it yet) but even his performance is completely unlike anything I've seen him do before. I imagine the prosthetics affected his body language even.
AdrienVeidt

Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:14 pm

Wrapped up both The Orville and Legends of Tomorrow. Like everyone else I hope The Orville comes back for another season. For starting out as a bad joke-laden riff off TNG it's *quickly* ramped up its quality to match and arguably surpass TNG's greatness. I'm still pissed at Malloy's apathy about his family's erasure from time.
Lex Dysic
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:20 pm

I don't think Malloy is apathetic.
Spoiler! :
He didn't have his family. Ed and crew jumped back before they existed and "rescued" Malloy from a previous point in time
Sorry I wasn't thinking when I posted this initially, so I edited it to prevent spoilage.

Return to “The Multiplex”