Last Series You Binged

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
Bashbash99
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Last Series You Binged

Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:04 pm

Anybody else watching Yellowjackets on Showtime? I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far, although i have some concerns the show could end up being like Lost and sinking under the weight of its own mysteries.

The Premise is that about 25 years ago a plane carrying a girls soccer team crashed in the Canadian rockies and the high schoolers were lost in the wilderness for 19 months, during which a lot of Lord of the Flies stuff occurred, including cannibalism. In the present, at least some of the surviving members (who promised each other to never go public with what happened) are receiving mysterious postcards, containing a symbol that we also see carved into trees in the rockies.

Feels like the premise alone is enough to make for a compelling series... but on top of that, the writers are introducing additional new mysteries with each episode. the most recent one suggest maybe there are supernatural elements involved. I dunno, i guess some of these newer mysteries plus hearing that the creators intend for it to last 5 seasons make me worry this will become like Lost, but anyhow so far so good.

Christina Ricci and Juliette Lewis are probably the most fun to watch but the whole cast is pretty great imo
JTMarsh
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:02 am

Banshee is very good and has been one of my favorite series for quite a while. The last season I feel is the weakest one since it has a death that's resolved with the F for Family episode that I thought was unnecessary to the overall plot, and I think they were just trying to finish the series up as the show was being cancelled. But despite all that it's still one of my favorites. I'd probably place it just slightly below par with the original Breaking Bad series.

I've told people about it for years and how good it is and everyone that watches it loves it, though few actually follow through and do, so it's very much a series that has fallen through the cracks.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:33 am

I'm almost done with Get Back. I know it's only three episodes but it's still a commitment.

I wouldn't say it's for everyone, but if you're into it then it's likely awesome. If nothing else, I appreciate the candid view of certain things, the conjuring from almost nothing with songs like Get Back itself, and the window into their process at least at that stage. Also fun seeing some myths dispelled. I also appreciate learning how many solo efforts were almost-Beatles songs.
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale

Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:13 pm

Caught the 3rd season of Lost in Space and enjoyed it well enough. I think the reboot's 'mindset' to serious-up the original show was appropriate but there was a bit too much emphasis on VinDieselNothingIsStrongerThanFamily.jpg over it all to really satisfy as a science fiction show, imho. At least for this 50yo. It is a very pretty show, tho.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:30 pm

My wife and I are one episode from being done with Pretty Smart on Netflix. It's.. pretty much exactly what we were looking for; a stupid sitcom to watch when we don't want anything long/serious. It's fun and we really enjoyed watching it. Is it super predictable? Yeah, pretty much. But it's still sweet and funny.
wraith1701
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:38 pm

Arcane on Netflix. I went into it knowing nothing about the game, and it turns out that I didn’t need to. This series works on its own, and on many levels. So good, I’ve gone back and rewatched it a few times.
OUTSTANDING storytelling.
PresidentJuggernaut
Runs Around in Tights

Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:10 pm

Also finished the final season of Lost in Space. Enjoyed it quite a bit, and I'm glad it got to finish it's story. The show always felt a little out of the conversation, and I always worried Netflix was going to pull the plug.
TFitz
Master of Avatars

Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:31 pm

Locke & Key - I really enjoy this series. Tons of fun.
DetectiveHoag
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:54 pm

AdrienVeidt wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:13 pm
Caught the 3rd season of Lost in Space and enjoyed it well enough. I think the reboot's 'mindset' to serious-up the original show was appropriate but there was a bit too much emphasis on VinDieselNothingIsStrongerThanFamily.jpg over it all to really satisfy as a science fiction show, imho. At least for this 50yo. It is a very pretty show, tho.
Like so many shows that try to pass themselves off as “science fiction”, it really isn’t. It belongs to the “sci-fi” genre, where the science aspect of it is almost negligible. That’s not to say that this iteration of Lost in Space was bad. I generally enjoyed the show.
The original Lost in Space started out as a serious show. You’ll notice the difference if you go back to the beginning of it and watch the black and white episodes. True, it was family friendly, and the effects are cheesy by today’s standards, but they originally had a serious take on it. Dr Smith was an actual villain in the beginning. Johnathan Harris realized he was going to be out of a job if that continued (his character would be killed). He started working in comedic bits to make his character more likable. The humor ended up saturating the show, and it lost the serious aspect, and became less about the Robinson’s and more “the Will, Dr Smith, and the Robot Show”.
Bashbash99
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:55 pm

DetectiveHoag wrote:

Like so many shows that try to pass themselves off as “science fiction”, it really isn’t. It belongs to the “sci-fi” genre, where the science aspect of it is almost negligible. That’s not to say that this iteration of Lost in Space was bad. I generally enjoyed the show.
The original Lost in Space started out as a serious show. You’ll notice the difference if you go back to the beginning of it and watch the black and white episodes. True, it was family friendly, and the effects are cheesy by today’s standards, but they originally had a serious take on it. Dr Smith was an actual villain in the beginning. Johnathan Harris realized he was going to be out of a job if that continued (his character would be killed). He started working in comedic bits to make his character more likable. The humor ended up saturating the show, and it lost the serious aspect, and became less about the Robinson’s and more “the Will, Dr Smith, and the Robot Show”.
yeah the pilot (was it a 2-parter? i can't remember) really sticks out if you catch if after seeing some of the later episodes. i remember even when i was a kid thinking, wow Smith is way more evil than usual. The robot was scarier too iirc.

anyhow watched S3 ep 1 and enjoyed it, i'm sure i'll get around to watching the rest of it soon enough.
DetectiveHoag
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:34 am

Bashbash99 wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:55 pm
DetectiveHoag wrote:

yeah the pilot (was it a 2-parter? i can't remember) really sticks out if you catch if after seeing some of the later episodes. i remember even when i was a kid thinking, wow Smith is way more evil than usual. The robot was scarier too iirc.

anyhow watched S3 ep 1 and enjoyed it, i'm sure i'll get around to watching the rest of it soon enough.
If you liked the series so far, you will. I’ve binged it, and while I won’t spoil anything for you, I will say that they wrapped it up pretty well.
In the original series Dr Zachary Smith (if that was his true name. He appeared to use it as an alias in the beginning, but held to that name throughout the show) was caught on board when an his attempt to sabotage the mission went sideways. It was implied he was working for a foreign power, but that plot thread was never addressed any further, and eventually forgotten about. It would’ve been interesting to have seen where that would’ve gone.
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale

Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:30 pm

I watched the Cowboy Bebop series and enjoyed it greatly and and greatly sad there won't be more. I think its initially-poor reception is rooted in dropping it all at once for binging. Halfway through the first episode I was getting worn out by how exhausting the show is to watch. All the Dutch angles, the upbeat music shifts, the dialogue patter; it's literally *tiring* to pay attention to it all. This is not a complaint, but I knew quickly I'd need to parse this out to enjoy it properly without getting overwhelmed.

I appreciated all the actors and how well they captured their characters and the editing of the plotlines helped me appreciate them a lot more here. I still want more ship action, and can understand why the show is so expensive and that being the given reason for the show's cancellation; but hopefully long-term appreciation will give Netflix reason for follow-up movies if not actual seasons.
Andron X
I come from the land up over

Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:27 pm

I watched Search Party this week, and I loved it. Really surprised I've never heard anyone talking about it before.

It's one show that truly surprises me with every twist, and I never have any idea where it's gonna go next.

Overall it's a dark comedy, but every season is a different genre, from mystery, to thriller, the courtroom drama, to horror, all the while feeling like a natural progression.
The characters are all terrible people, some getting worse as the series progresses- but you still end up rooting for them, because you understand why they do what they do, and their desire to be better people. And sometimes, circumstance just [email protected]#$ you.
I found it similar in tone to Barry

if you have HBO and like dark comedy, I highly recommend it.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:52 am

As always.. I don't really tend to 'binge' shows because I don't have that kind of continuous time to spend. But the wife and I just finished the newest season of Cobra Kai today. Goddamn it's a fun show. I really can't believe I'm this invested in a spin-off from a movie series I haven't even really thought about since the early '90s, and NEVER actually cared very much about. It's so good, and I can't even explain why.
featofstrength
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:57 am

The Righteous Gemstones

Return to “The Multiplex”