Last Series You Binged

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
Prophet924
Thwipp!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Last Series You Binged

Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:39 am

Watched season one Doom Patrol. I agree with Alan Tudyk it took a long time to get episode 15. Some good/fun parts, lots and lots and lots of psychological introspection...

Eh it was okay.

Thwipp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andron X
I come from the land up over

Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:01 pm

After hearing all the good press for Cobra Kai, I binged it a couple weeks ago.
Great show! I wasn't really a fan of the Karate Kid film when I was younger, but I rewatched that too with a newfound appreciation.

Cobra Kai does what the Star Wars movies couldn't. It built off the old franchise, and continued the story of the old characters as they've grown into the teachers, while introducing a new younger set of characters, just as interesting, and neither over shadowing the other. Daniel and Johnny have also naturally evolved into new standings in their current life.
Too bad it's too late for Star Wars to take notice.
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale

Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:42 pm

What's the hold-up on Stranger Things S4? Wasn't it ready to go when they showed the trailer of him in the Soviet work camp last year?
Capman
Amalgam version of "Bat America"

Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:51 pm

It was not ready to go. Production on Stranger Things S4 episodes is taking longer than normal because of the current coronavirus restrictions (like, a lot longer). It was originally slated for early 2021 but has been delayed. Still hoping for 2021, but who knows.
DerRabbi
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:12 am

Catching up on some UK tv. Finally got around to watching "Peep Show" and glad I did b/c its pretty hilarious. Also finally got around to watching the original UK versions of "Getting On" which was excellent (as was the US one) and "Camping" also hilarious (the US one is god awful). Finally about to finish "Flowers" which has been very good as well. I've always been prone to falling down the UK TV hole but the extra time has only made it worse.
RoyalCollector
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:19 am

Got a chance to watch Black Books finally with all this free time. Stellar series.
KEWOOSKI
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:14 am

Subscribed to a month of HBO+ for the JL Snyder Cut. Since Friday, I've watched both seasons of Titans. Gotta say I thoroughly enjoyed it. I may just have to keep HBO+ so I can watch the next season when it comes out.
AdrienVeidt

Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:25 pm

Catch the Doom Patrol while you wait, mate. *And* Genndy Tartakovsky's PRIMAL.
Andron X
I come from the land up over

Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:15 pm

Just rewatched seasons 1-2 of young justice, and realized I forgot pretty much the whole thing.
Then I watched Season 3.

So good. Surprisingly dark and violent too. I like how they show a passage of time, and hint at events happening, but never really showing or talking about it, like death in the family, or killing joke. The way the retell classic storylines is great. I look forward to season 4.

It's a shame they can't have their live action shows written as well as this cartoon for some reason. Watching this, then putting on an episode of the Flash is night and day.
KEWOOSKI
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:33 am

I may have to rewatch Justice League Unlimited too. I loved that show.
Dormammu
Mumu of Evil

Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:27 am

I'm stuck in Vikings. That is one helluva bloody show. By season 4, the killings are coming so fast and furious that it's almost comical. Please, no more Blood Eagles.... (which btw was not a proven, standard thing perpetrated against VIPs, although it makes for nail-biting TV.)

As entertaining as the show is, with its very memorable characters, I'm so glad it didn't all happen like that in real life. The average Viking no doubt underwhelmed compared to this cable show. Like other people of the Dark Ages, he had too much common sense and feelings of self-preservation to be so habitually crazy. One day I'd like to see a drama about Vikings that portrays them as the more human characters they were, despite whatever beliefs and institutionalized criminality they had.

Actually I'd just like to see a show set in the Dark Ages featuring Frankish elites of Charlemagne's court who interacted with and killed all sorts of folks in and around Europe, early Norsemen included. Every ethnic group had their brutal and opportunistic leaders, but the early Franks and their later Norman cousins were especially good at it.

Anyway, on to Season 5!
Olive00
Here comes a new challenger!

Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:32 pm

I’m watching “the Crown”. The series is very beautiful and well-shot. When you look, you get colossal aesthetic pleasure. But the feeling of chewing gum does not leave, as if the director is afraid to overload the viewer's brain. Instead of showing historical action (what is happening in the world, behind-the-scenes wars, etc.) - one clear chewed line. Long scenes with kisses, silence of the main characters, etc. Therefore, the impression is very ambiguous. It would be cool if the entire series showed world history through the prism of the life of Elizabeth Il. But alas, no. Everything is provided for this story to last 10 seasons. Otherwise I liked Churchill and the scenery very much.
Bashbash99
CROM!

Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:40 pm

Watched Them on amazon prime. like Lovecraft Country a series that deals with supernatural horror along with the racism black people face in the 1950s...in this case the trials of the Emory family, who move from rural north carolina into an all-white suburban neighborhood (Compton, CA!) that happens to be haunted. Unfortunately, despite strong lead performances by Deborah Ayorinde and Ashley Thomas and interesting direction & cinematography, this series just isn't nearly as good as Lovecraft country was overall.

If lovecraft country featured a lot of creature-feature type horror, this one is more in the vein of the Shining & Nightmare on Elm Street. we have two lead villains - the supernatural one is played by Christopher Heyerdahl (i mainly know him as the Swede from Hell on Wheels) who is certainly a creepy enough dude to pull off a horror villain role, but he really isn't given enough to do here. The nonsupernatural villain is well-played by Alison Pill but the series makes some bizarre plot choices.
Spoiler! :
She starts out as an outight villainess, then the series attempts to make her a bit more sympathetic, then she more or less disappears from the series while gettiing her comeuppance in a throwaway moment of the finale
The series suffers from some weird pacing issues, with plot developments that seem to come out of nowhere and then aren't really followed up on. we get a couple of flashback episodes that detail the prior trauma the Emory's have been through as well as the origin for the villain. There are a few bits tossed in to suggest that, hey, the 50s' weren't a great time for white women or gay men either, but these are barely developed and, as with everything else, lovecraft country "did it better". Finally, both the emory family and the suburban white people are very thinly sketched... the villainous whites (both in the suburbs and in rural Carolina) often come across as cartoonish imo and we don't know much about the emorys except that they are constantly undergoing horrific ordeals. Not developing the family much might work in a horror movie but with 10 episodes i expected to see their personalities explored a bit more.

I guess what i'm saying is this is pretty skippable despite their obviously being some talented people involved in the production. When amazon dropped the whole series at once rather than following the one-per-week format that probably should've been a sign that they didn't think the final product was all that spectacular. Supposedly a season 2 is coming with an all new cast so maybe that will be better.
AdrienVeidt

Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:28 pm

I noticed Creepshow is free on Prime so I'm going through it again and noticing a lot of fun details and actors but nothing really standing out the way the first movie did. It's fun background noise while I customize.
Night Wolf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:49 am

Started to watch Spawn: Animated series on HBO MAX its pretty decent, im up to episode 3 so far. the art style is a little dark, not too many colors.

Return to “The Multiplex”