Official "Last movie you watched" thread

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
kailryu
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Official "Last movie you watched" thread

Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:08 pm

^^

Couldn’t agree more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Magnuz
Tyrant

Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:08 am

AdrienVeidt wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:00 pm
Lobster Johnson wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:35 am
I don't think it's a Snyder issue so much as a superhero movie issue in general (look at that airport fight in Civil War, ugh). It is baffling to me how ugly and gray most of these things are. They have decades of bright colorful source material to draw from, and so much money goes into these productions, and they still look like that.
Yeah, there's no comparison at all, imho. The CivWar fight was in daylight at an airport made mostly of concrete with no 'artistic' additions whereas the WW84 fight was set at night to deliberately mute the colors because Snyder hates it for some reason.
Dunno why Snyder is getting blamed for a patty Jenkins movie but to clarify, the reason most of these movies that feature a heavy cg character preflight sequence fall back on night fights with a lack of color is simply because it's easier to do the effects that way. You can hide alot more in cg at night than during bright daylight (which civil war does great its lack of color is costuming not cinematography).

The dank lackluster lighting of ww84 cheetah fight was purely to hide the cg and avoid having her look like a part of cats.

As I said though dark final battles are common beyond Snyder, wonder woman vs ares, iron man vs iron monger, endgame(not night but clouded so they didn't have to replicate natural light) etc.

Its just filmmaking in general with heavy cg stuff like that.
Mac10
I wish I had super powers

Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:42 am

WW84, oh dear, what a pile of pooh, awefull in so many ways, what a waste I loved the first one it was really good for a DC offering I had high hopes for this but nope just back to DC awefulness.
Thwiptster
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:33 pm

My wife’s one-sentence review of WW84: “That movie was a turd.”
kailryu
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:12 pm

I could barely remember it so I watched Assassins Creed again.

Academically I feel you can teach a lot about moviemaking by what this film dies badly in a narrative sense, although I did like some of the action and choreography. I don’t think the cinematography and editing really do that justice consistently though, and on the whole it’s hard to be invested in any if it.

What really makes me marvel is how Fassbender doesn’t phone it in and approaches every script he deserves better than as an opportunity to do a lot with very little, so much like the later X-men films and Prometheus and Alien Covenant he is great to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Magnuz
Tyrant

Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:49 am

Finally watched tenet.

I had what I felt was a fairly good grasp after one viewing, the second time watching it really only added one more Easter egg at the beginning which was neat.

Not my favorite Nolan film but an interesting one, but for the love of God this was the worst sound mixing and balancing ive ever experienced in a film. I'm used to movies having loud action and low dialog but this was even worse. The actors as well seemed to constantly be speaking in a low whisper and then his God awfully loud score would pound over everything. I had my TV at max volume for the entire film I was worried I'd break the speakers.
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale

Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:57 pm

Magnuz wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:08 am
AdrienVeidt wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:00 pm
Lobster Johnson wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:35 am
I don't think it's a Snyder issue so much as a superhero movie issue in general (look at that airport fight in Civil War, ugh). It is baffling to me how ugly and gray most of these things are. They have decades of bright colorful source material to draw from, and so much money goes into these productions, and they still look like that.
Yeah, there's no comparison at all, imho. The CivWar fight was in daylight at an airport made mostly of concrete with no 'artistic' additions whereas the WW84 fight was set at night to deliberately mute the colors because Snyder hates it for some reason.
Dunno why Snyder is getting blamed for a patty Jenkins movie but to clarify, the reason most of these movies that feature a heavy cg character preflight sequence fall back on night fights with a lack of color is simply because it's easier to do the effects that way. You can hide alot more in cg at night than during bright daylight (which civil war does great its lack of color is costuming not cinematography).

The dank lackluster lighting of ww84 cheetah fight was purely to hide the cg and avoid having her look like a part of cats.

As I said though dark final battles are common beyond Snyder, wonder woman vs ares, iron man vs iron monger, endgame(not night but clouded so they didn't have to replicate natural light) etc.

Its just filmmaking in general with heavy cg stuff like that.
I blame Snyder simply because he had a hand in it and everything he touches for the past decade turns into color-desaturated crap.

And giving that excuse while quoting a pic that belies its need kinda blows a hole in the excuse, imho. It's just shit creatorship all around.
Magnuz
Tyrant

Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:46 pm

No i just gave you the common reason its done, its not a law that all cg battles be done at night its just easier and more cost effective to do so.

Snyder has a very specific style you are right, I called him out way back when he was going to do man of steel and how I didn't want to see a desaturated superman. I agree his color pallette is not what I prefer but it's his style and he's free to do it.

I dont however blame him for every other superhero movie doing it. Xmen had a shitty cgd night fight on top of the statue of liberty before Zack had even made a major motion picture (dawn of the dead was 4 years after). Movies doing dark scenes for cg involved fighting has always been about hiding the cg more and making it easier to blend effects into existing shots.

Now technology today you can definitely do it without and yes civil war shows one example, mandalorion utilizing the volume screen background over green screens is another example of advancing old styles.

However nothing in there pins the concept of dark drab colored superhero fights on Zack Snyder. You'd be more apt to blame Bryan singer or Sam raimi since they started the modern superhero film genre and both did dark final battle scenes with varying use of cg.

Snyder isn't the reason its done, he may be the worst case of it but he isn't the cause.
AdrienVeidt

Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:22 pm

Yeah, Snyder's basically the Feige of the DCCU and I flat-out don't accept that desatting the colors of the movies in that universe is done for reasons *other* than tying it all together as his vision of the DCU. I look at that fight scene and the entirety of what I see is shitty creative choices made under Snyder's umbrella.
Magnuz
Tyrant

Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:30 am

No, the cheetah fight isn't trying to fit to Snyder vision, him getting the jl cut doesn't mean his vision controls the universe they are already abandoning that universe with Pattinson batman.

Cheetah fight being dark is purely to hide the cheetah cg because it's easier to do full cg character work like that in darker scenes with less dynamic lighting and colors.

Ww84 is the antithesis to the snyderverse, Jenkins literally removed almost all of Snyders work on wonder woman, brighter costumes, no sword or shield, no killing being less violent etc. Not hiding out and doing nothing but proactively fighting crime.

Hell look at the flashback to asteria fighting off the armies of men and they are almost literally recreations of Snyders 300 Spartans being the evil that the Amazonian warriors had to fight against. It's like a little middle finger to him.

Aquaman ignores jl and bvs as well, showcasing Arthur talking to Mera like he's never been to Atlantis despite getting armor from her in justice league....

I get that it's easy to say Snyder makes desaturated dark movies but to say he's responsible for any dc movie that also does it is just ignorant.
AdrienVeidt

Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:46 pm

And yet he's still listed as a producer on the movie.

Huh.
Magnuz
Tyrant

Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:16 pm

Yes as are his wife, gal gadot, patty Jenkins, Geoff Johns, and about a dozen other people. That doesn't mean he gets to dictate cinematography on all dc films.

He's a producer because he cast and built the foundation that those films sprung out of with batman v superman. So he's given producer credit because he's one of the founders of this universe.

He is not however the director, cinematographer, editor or studio head that gets to decide how a film looks or feels.

You can watch the theatrical justice league and see how much they cared about saving his style and look on film. Letting him do the Snyder cut was a fan service that gives a boon to their new streaming service but even the studio head called it a cul de sac with no further expansion.

The standalone dc films are not beholden to Snyder or his vision and anyone calling out the one dark fight scene in the end of ww84 as Snyder pulling his God like strings over a movie he had no real involvement in other than a credit is deluding themselves and looking for a scapegoat to blame for a trashy looking scene in the end of a train wreck of a movie.
AdrienVeidt

Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:58 pm

Yeah, thank God movie companies are strict with people's job titles. Saying the theatrical release of JL being the least like his movies is proving my point, man. We all know he had to bail out of that *and the first Wonder Woman* because his daughter killed herself; and we know he's back working with WB again and the movie that came out once he did so is a return to his style. The man is a shit-Midas with pre-existing characters and I dunno why that's a fact you need to not be true.

Anyway, I caught Outside the Wire on Netflix last night. It's a decent evening's watch with not a lot of new or exciting stuff; altho the very mild twist at the end is an interesting touch, imho.
AdrienVeidt

Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:54 pm

Even tho a long-time fan of The Coup; I just caught Boots Riley's Sorry To Bother You this past weekend and boy, howdy did that take a swerve I wasn't expecting. The overall message is certainly in Riley's overall oeuvre so there's not a lot of processing that need be done there but I simply wasn't expecting it to swerve to farce in the last third. Interesting to see Armie Hammer playing himself, lol.
AdrienVeidt

Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:54 pm

Caught The Woman in Black 2 on Netflix last night. No surprises at all for a run-of-the-mill horror story but the 'WWII England' aesthetic was on-point and everybody did their job competently enough for it all to work enough to watch if you enjoyed the first. The lead actress was pretty.

Return to “The Multiplex”