Official "Last movie you watched" thread

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
BDCdiesel
Dremel Samurai
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Official "Last movie you watched" thread

Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:15 am

KnightDamien wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:58 am
Sorry - I'm specifically talking about '84. Should have said I just finished the -new- Wonder Woman. I loved the first one.
Ha ha, oh great, now I don't want to watch part 2. I like Kristen Wiig, is she at least worth it?
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:27 am

I was lukewarm on the first Wonder Woman and came into 1984 hoping to enjoy it as much as everyone else liked the first one. It was a letdown.

Still no clue why it needed to be two and a half hours.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:41 am

TheSameIdiot wrote: Still no clue why it needed to be two and a half hours.
It didn't. It was so bloated with ham-fisted moralizing and so much foreshadowing that even someone barely paying attention could have written the rest of the script themselves. I honestly can't believe this was the script they settled on. And I say that as someone that loved the first film AND hated the 'studio ending' the first film was forced to have.
BDCdiesel wrote: Ha ha, oh great, now I don't want to watch part 2. I like Kristen Wiig, is she at least worth it?
No. No, she's not. The character could have been played by a Playstation 2 video game character for all the personality it required. Ooooh... she's a clutz, and awkward, and she wears GLASSES.. gross.. so boys don't like her and no one notices her. But it's okay.. she's gonna TAKE OFF HER GLASSES, which makes her super hot and interesting. Of all the completely ridiculous bullshit in this film, the dirtiest was done to Cheetah, for sure. Felt like a slightly more mature, less campy Batman and Robin Poison Ivy.

Not gonna tell anyone not to watch it. It was still.. fun.. at times. But I would never recommend it to anyone, either. Especially since it's not good, AND almost 2-1/2 hours long.
Bashbash99
CROM!

Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:15 pm

BDCdiesel wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:15 am
KnightDamien wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:58 am
Sorry - I'm specifically talking about '84. Should have said I just finished the -new- Wonder Woman. I loved the first one.
Ha ha, oh great, now I don't want to watch part 2. I like Kristen Wiig, is she at least worth it?
No, i don't think so. Wiig gave it her best shot but doesn't have much to work with. I expected her to be funnier (indeed, i expected the whole movie to be funnier) but most of the jokes fell flat, at least for me.

Pablo Pascal also put in a good effort but his character didn't really work for me, either.

Movie felt like a step backwards for DC imo. I would rank WW 1984 below WW, Aquaman, and Shazam, as well as BoP for that matter. Hard for me to believe but BoP was my favorite superhero movie for 2020.

And as usual, no real reason this had to be set in the 80s. They didn't even use much of an 80s soundtrack as far as i could tell, i think i heard some Frankie Goes to Hollywood at one point but not sure if there were a lot of other 80s needle drops in there.
Bashbash99
CROM!

Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:18 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:41 am
No. No, she's not. The character could have been played by a Playstation 2 video game character for all the personality it required. Ooooh... she's a clutz, and awkward, and she wears GLASSES.. gross.. so boys don't like her and no one notices her. But it's okay.. she's gonna TAKE OFF HER GLASSES, which makes her super hot and interesting. Of all the completely ridiculous bullshit in this film, the dirtiest was done to Cheetah, for sure. Felt like a slightly more mature, less campy Batman and Robin Poison Ivy.

Not gonna tell anyone not to watch it. It was still.. fun.. at times. But I would never recommend it to anyone, either. Especially since it's not good, AND almost 2-1/2 hours long.
I got flashbacks to Michelle Pfeiffer in Batman Returns .... not to mention they've done the "socially awkward nerd become angry supervillain" so often at this point.... and it rarely works.
BruceKent
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:07 am

WW84- quite meh!
Lovelace- ok!
Black Christmas (latest remake) unexpected twist departure from the original,also quite meh!
Mac10
I wish I had super powers

Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:20 am

Saw 'The New Mutants' I'd heard it was bad but was taken aback by just how bad it was, it really, really is not worth watching 0/10.
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale

Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:13 pm

One of the more interesting complaints I've read is how the WW84 movie posters were so garishly colored but the movie ends up being so goddamned Snyderian GRAY everywhere.

This is what you advertise:

and then this is what you deliver for the big villain fight?

Can we please just let Zack Snyder go do his own movies instead of having a hand in existing characters he doesn't understand?
Lobster Johnson
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Location: The good Lobster is in the Lodge, and he can't leave

Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:35 am

I don't think it's a Snyder issue so much as a superhero movie issue in general (look at that airport fight in Civil War, ugh). It is baffling to me how ugly and gray most of these things are. They have decades of bright colorful source material to draw from, and so much money goes into these productions, and they still look like that.
Andron X
I come from the land up over

Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:12 pm

Guardians, Aquaman, Birds Of Prey, and Thor Ragnarok are all pretty colorful. Some are definitely more colorful than others. Snyder tends to be pretty muddy.
I still haven't seen Wonder Woman 84, but the posters have me expecting something with color closer to those films at the least.
AdrienVeidt

Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:00 pm

Lobster Johnson wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:35 am
I don't think it's a Snyder issue so much as a superhero movie issue in general (look at that airport fight in Civil War, ugh). It is baffling to me how ugly and gray most of these things are. They have decades of bright colorful source material to draw from, and so much money goes into these productions, and they still look like that.
Yeah, there's no comparison at all, imho. The CivWar fight was in daylight at an airport made mostly of concrete with no 'artistic' additions whereas the WW84 fight was set at night to deliberately mute the colors because Snyder hates it for some reason.
Andron X
I come from the land up over

Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:39 am

I watched the 2018 Robin Hood movie the other day.

Maybe it's because I had really low expectations, and it had terrible reviews, but I didn't mind it.
It took a bit of getting used to. What seems to be the main turn off for many is the modern style they are going for. It certainly turned me off from seeing it in theaters.
Two scenes in and Robin is running around not-Afghanistan in a tan military uniform and a medieval flack vest, his platoon peering around corners with their bows like it's call of duty before they get cornered by an Arab shooting arrows at them like a machine gun.
At this point it's either hate what they're going for, or accept it, and revel in it. They're clearly doing it on purpose, so I can't fault them for having Armani suits, anymore than I can get mad at Game of thrones for having dragons.

So essentailly it's just Robin Hood as a High fantasy superhero film, and I think it did that just fine. It's just not what people wanted, though I think it represents the modern film era we're living in.

Egerton is a better Robin Hood than Costner or Crowe. He has the roguish charm and british accent that I find essential to the character, so on that alone, the film gets a couple points. I liked most of the performances, though Marion was a bit off IMO.
The action scenes were also fun, and well choreographed. A little dumb at times, like horses charging headfirst through wooden structures like a car, but I wasn't overly bothered.
Story also has a bunch of plotholes and such but, like I said, low expectations. It was a fun odd superhero reinvention of Robin Hood. I almost wish it got sequels, just to see what else they would do with the franchise.

Overall, I'd give it a 6/10
kailryu
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:54 pm

The Shallows

This felt quite poignant, I really miss surfing and I am very morbidly fascinated by sharks so I was utterly invested in this.

They shoot the water really well and I’ve never seen much of Blake Lively that I can recall, she was compelling and carried the movie on her performance admirably.

A few points of dialogue were on the cheesy and cliched side with her family but nothing to hurt it.

It’s amazing how much more complicated and bloated films can tell a story badly when a simple story is often all you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AdrienVeidt

Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:08 pm

Yeah, the Shallows was a solid flick. Blake's performance and the hindsight revelations about Amber Heard make casting her as Mera a hugely-missed opportunity.
RoyalCollector
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:34 pm

On that note, they should just cast Rachel Nichols as Mera and then pretend like nothing has changed.

But they seem determined to go down with the ship. Ironic in a film franchise primarily set underwater!

Return to “The Multiplex”