Official "Last movie you watched" thread

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
Bashbash99
CROM!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Official "Last movie you watched" thread

Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:19 pm

Made the mistake of watching "I'm thinking of ending things" on Netflix. Normally i love Charlie Kaufman flicks but this one was just not enjoyable. The 1st hour or so showed enough promise to make me keep watching in the hopes that some clever ending would redeem the rest of the movie, but no dice. And while the movie does hint at an explanation, i ended up reading the plot summary for the book on Wikipedia to make sense of the film, which didn't feel like something i should have to do. I think the closest equivalent to this movie would be David Lynch's Inward Empire, but that at least had some entertaining scenes even if the movie on the whole didn't hold together (imo of course)

If you do feel the need to watch this, i would recommend reading a plot summary for the book as there are random details throughout the movie that are probably more interesting if you're "in the know". However the movie was not entertaining enough for me to merit a rewatch.

I can't speak to whether the book is any good as i haven't read it, but the plot summary didn't particularly make it sound all that compelling.

Short version of the plot:
Spoiler! :
A lonely old janitor looks back at a time in his youth when he didn't have the confidence to ask a girl for her number. He constructs an elaborative narrative in his head about a romance between his younger self and this girl, mostly centered around a trip to his parents' farm. The first 3/4 of the movie is told from the vantage point of the girl, who again is ultimately revealed to just be a figment of the janitor's imagination. Constantly shifting details (such as the girl's hairstyle and academic focus, as well as the ages of the parents) are supposed to clue us in to the fact that she isn't real. At the end of the movie the janitor commits suicide by sitting and freezing to death in his car. [/spoilers]
Night Wolf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:50 am

The Outlaw Josey Wales

Wow, what a great western movie, alot of action, good story line. Even had those little kool western backround sound effects just like the spaghetti westerns had. Clint Eastwood never disappoints. He does seem more comfortable in this film versus his italian flicks, where he seems alittle stiff

Sent from my Motorola E4+

kailryu
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:24 pm

Just watched The New Mutants.

They should have just not bothered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ted
Runs Around in Tights

Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:36 am

do not watch Cuties. this movie is not Antichrist, or Raw, or mother. this is not extreme, or offensive art like the movies I just named. this movie is not art, it is socially irresponsible and damaging.
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:24 am

Bashbash99 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:19 pm
Made the mistake of watching "I'm thinking of ending things" on Netflix. Normally i love Charlie Kaufman flicks but this one was just not enjoyable. The 1st hour or so showed enough promise to make me keep watching in the hopes that some clever ending would redeem the rest of the movie, but no dice. And while the movie does hint at an explanation, i ended up reading the plot summary for the book on Wikipedia to make sense of the film, which didn't feel like something i should have to do. I think the closest equivalent to this movie would be David Lynch's Inward Empire, but that at least had some entertaining scenes even if the movie on the whole didn't hold together (imo of course)

If you do feel the need to watch this, i would recommend reading a plot summary for the book as there are random details throughout the movie that are probably more interesting if you're "in the know". However the movie was not entertaining enough for me to merit a rewatch.

I can't speak to whether the book is any good as i haven't read it, but the plot summary didn't particularly make it sound all that compelling.

Short version of the plot:
Spoiler! :
A lonely old janitor looks back at a time in his youth when he didn't have the confidence to ask a girl for her number. He constructs an elaborative narrative in his head about a romance between his younger self and this girl, mostly centered around a trip to his parents' farm. The first 3/4 of the movie is told from the vantage point of the girl, who again is ultimately revealed to just be a figment of the janitor's imagination. Constantly shifting details (such as the girl's hairstyle and academic focus, as well as the ages of the parents) are supposed to clue us in to the fact that she isn't real. At the end of the movie the janitor commits suicide by sitting and freezing to death in his car. [/spoilers]

I read the book a few months ago. The movie left me disappointed. Ordinarily, I like Kaufman's work, but I don't think the movie was a good adaptation. My girlfriend didn't read the book and she was left confused by the plot. As is typically the case, the artistic liberties didn't add anything to the story. I would recommend skipping it.
kailryu
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:36 pm

Bill and Ted Face the Music

It’s fine, only about 3 or 4 parts where I laughed out loud but overall quite broad and more like a fan service film than anything significantly necessary. Definitely one of the better new movies I’ve seen of late but it had been slim pickings and a lot of straight to streaming stuff so the bar is a bit lower than usual. It’s nice to have a new film to see at all, but it’s really nice to see the guys again.

Ted
Runs Around in Tights

Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:58 pm

Future Ted is a real dick
TFitz
Master of Avatars

Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:02 pm

Watched Netflix's "The Devil All the Time" last night. The ensemble cast is so good. Top notch acting throughout. That's really great because this is a very slow moving movie, that if the acting wasn't so good, you might fall asleep.
Mr potatohead
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:10 pm

Goon: Last of the Enforcers - I found the 1st film pretty enjoyable back when it came out, but I loved this film. Had some very quotable lines and a simple, yet satisfying story.
TFitz
Master of Avatars

Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:57 pm

Man, if I did that Goon (comic) movie Kickstarter, I'd be so mad.
Ted
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:12 am

TFitz wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:02 pm
Watched Netflix's "The Devil All the Time" last night. The ensemble cast is so good. Top notch acting throughout. That's really great because this is a very slow moving movie, that if the acting wasn't so good, you might fall asleep.
this was a very satisfying film.
kailryu
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:08 am

Hubie Halloween.

Adam Sandler movies are a guilty pleasure.

maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:18 am

New Mutants....it was.....okay....a movie? Pretty much the only reason to watch it was magik. Dani was boring....and not a great actress. The plot was.....existent? Pretty straightforward without any surprises....not a lot of memorable scenes. It just felt like a made for tv movie....from the early 2000's....much like Dark Phoenix....it just felt flat.

What's the most disappointing about it was that they were laying the groundwork between this movie and Logan, the future of the X-Men franchise....and they just dropped the ball.
Prophet924
Thwipp!

Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:50 am

Enola Holmes/Netflix - I had not really known of this franchise probably because I’m a 47 man. When I was a lad I read all the mysteries for young readers. I tried to understand Conan Doyle’s Holmes. Watched all the films I could. Young Holmes film is still a joy I treat myself to every now and again. I think the young detective really resonates with me. I love this character. By extension this film is a treat.

The film has a very good pace. It has performances well done by all, even Cavill who played Sherlock in a manner I’m not familiar. It was an okay Holmes, probably more like Conan Doyle. To me Holmes just isn’t as handsome and well mannered as he played him. Probably preference. I still enjoy seeing the various incarnations. Enjoyed McKellan’s portrayal as Older Holmes too.

Millie’s Enola is so good. I must go back and read Nancy Springer’s books. I want to see is that character has as much life and charisma as Millie Bobby Brown played it. The mystery in the story is solved a little less than half way through the film. It’s okay. The journey for Enola to come to the conclusion is very enjoyable.

London is dirty enough in this tale. Probably due to the story unfolding through the eyes of a very observant 16 year old. The story has just enough danger for our hero. It definitely has a good message about life and politics. It’s hard for me too see Helen Bonham Carter in such a nurturing light. Her Bellatrix Lestrange is terrifying. She is a very good mother in this. I can see how her raising would bring about the very interesting Holmes family.

It’s a good film. I hope this character gets a revisit. I hope Millie Bobby Brown is involved.

Thwipp!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
DetectiveHoag
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:03 pm

Tremors: Shrieker Island.
The latest and possibly last in the Tremors franchise. A little more serious than previous entries, but not without humor. An ending that pays homage to the original Tremors. If you like the franchise, that you’ll enjoy the movie.
Spoiler! :
. R.I.P. Burt Gummer

Return to “The Multiplex”