Official "Last movie you watched" thread

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
Ibentmyman-thing
Shakespeare of Fwoosh
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Official "Last movie you watched" thread

Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:37 pm

New thread, sleeker and perkier.

Last movie I watched was Dark Knight Rises. Great capper to an imperfect yet overall enjoyable series. Loved Bane's voice, completely against type but worked perfectly.
Caprin
Fwoosh's #1 Rachael Ray fan

Re: Official "Last movie you watched" thread

Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:54 pm

Kick-Ass

Just got around to watching it. It was okay, I liked Nick Cage's goofy performance, and Hit Girl stole the show, but it was a little boring too. Cartoon violence is just boring to me I guess. That, and they changed my absolute favorite part from the comics, the outcome of Kick-Ass outing himself to his girlfriend and the text he received at the end. It was so wonderfully bleak, which obviously doesn't work with Hollywood Happy, and so we didn't get to see that.

Meh.
NimNams
Co-ruler of Oklahoma

Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:40 am

Yeah, Kick-Ass the movie felt a little too off in too many ways. For one, I don't believe for a second that the main actor would have trouble with girls in any high school in the country. He could be the chief comic and toy collector in the state and he'd still be getting some by the handful.

Plus, the movie made no effort to make him even marginally as interesting or watchable as Hit Girl. I kinda wonder if they considered abandoning the original story structure and reshaping the movie to be about her instead. Would've made for a much better flick, I think.
SCB
The "S" is for Sarcasm

Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:57 am

Kick Ass was one of my favorite movies that year. Loved it. Didn't read the comic.
kantboy2
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:57 pm

The Man Who Knew Too Little - A fun, silly movie. Bill Murray looks like he's having fun from beginning to end. If you want silly, this might be what you're looking for.
Caprin
Fwoosh's #1 Rachael Ray fan

Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:48 pm

I watched Bernie starring Jack Black and Matthew McConaughey. It's a dark comedy/mockumentary based on the real-life events surrounding the death of a crotchety old woman in '90s Texas. It perfected the look of those true-crime news programs that network television stations sometimes run and I probably laughed more than I should have at the townsfolk retrospectives. And, I never thought I'd say this, but Jack Black was actually pretty good in this.

It's something you either like or you hate. I liked it. Liked, not loved.
Luke_Cage
Sweet Christmas!!

Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:07 pm

The Amazing Spider-Man -I loved the effects and I loved the stunt work. Overall it just bored me. Rhys Ifans/Lizard was just about the most uninteresting villain I've ever seen. Not even so much a "villain" but a plot device to move the story along. Not a fan of Stone. Didn't like that pretty much everyone knew he was Spider-Man. Didn't like the retconning of the story(even though that's what's hot). The only thing I liked was the banter. He captured the essence of Spidey's wise-ass-ery. Not looking forward to the sequel at all.

Ted -Crap in a hat, that was a funny movie! It was a departure from the normal "gross out" comedy yet seemed familiar (if you are a fan of McFarlane's work). I think Mila Kunis should be a huge, frickin' star. She's funny and just seems like a a really cool woman who happens to be hot! I like that all the Family Guy regulars had little parts. Wahlberg is always funny in an understated way. I appreciate when he does comedy. I plan on buying this.
moneycon
I'm a licker... and a sucker

Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:52 am

Perfect Sense with Ewan McGregor and Eva Green. It's sort of an end of the world story but in a way you wouldn't expect and that is quite disturbing. It's one of those films where you liked it but didn't at the same time. It's a scary way to look at what "could" happen if a virus or something bad got unleashed in the world. The ending wasn't my favorite part, which I guess is another sign of a decent/good movie...the kind where you wanna know what happens next.
NimNams
Co-ruler of Oklahoma

Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:29 am

This is the first I've heard of this movie. The premise is kinda interesting...is it worth a watch?
SCB
The "S" is for Sarcasm

Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:53 am

Never heard of it, but those two sound reason enough to watch it.
Coheteboy
Aquaman Smiles Upon Me

Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:24 am

LES MISERABLES -- Great performances and good overall look.. Hugh Jackman is great as is Anne Hathaway. And Amanda Seyfried... who coulda thought she could sing? Russell Crowe probably has the least favorable singing voice of them all but he does okay. This film clocks in at 2.5 hours and mostly singing... you'll eventually wonder what actual talking sounds like. I think this is worth a look if you like the musical and musicals in general.... might be too long and dull for those who don't care for musicals.
moneycon
I'm a licker... and a sucker

Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:28 am

NimNams wrote:This is the first I've heard of this movie. The premise is kinda interesting...is it worth a watch?
I still don't know if I liked it or loved it or hated it, if it was terrible or good or what...it's just one of those movies that sticks with you. I can't stop thinking about it. I think I'll watch it again some day with more attention paid to all the details. I want someone else to watch it just so I don't think I'm crazy(or for at least verification that I am) for being so intrigued. So yes, watch it. I think it was on showtime on-demand.
Hagop
Pietro's Running Mate

Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:35 pm

Coheteboy wrote:And Amanda Seyfried... who coulda thought she could sing?
She sang in Mama Mia
SCB
The "S" is for Sarcasm

Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:12 am

Zero Dark Thirty

This finally got a small release in LA and I jumped on it. It covers the ten year hunt for Bin Laden, mostly through the eyes of Maya, a CIA agent obsessed and dedicated in finding him above anything else. The first quarter of the movie is heavily focused on torture, while the rest of it is focused on leads Maya refuses to let go off til something sticks. Last quarter of the movie is amazing as Seal Team 6 goes into Bin Laden's compound.

Great movie. It's a spy thriller, except it happened just recently. I don't know how much of this movie is factual or if there is a real Maya that was part of all this, but the movie is not propaganda or political. You can take things away from the movie and come to your own conclusions about torture and tactics. What I personally got from the film is that torture, sometimes works, and most of the time does not since the prison is under duress. Is it worth keeping around for those moments that they do leak the truth?

Jessica Chastain is great in this. Great cast sprinkled through out actually. Different people show up as the story progresses including Mark Strong and James Gandolfini with some memorable performances.

Comparing this to the Hurt Locker, it's a pretty different movie, maybe entirely different despite the overlapping elements. I think I enjoyed this a little more, but maybe because it's been a major part of our real lives the past decade. Even though everyone should know how the movie ends, they do a great of building suspense and story telling if we'll ever find Bin Laden.

Also a bit of coincidence at most, but the movie reminded me of Showtime's Homeland. Both are about determined CIA agents obsessed with catching Bin Laden/Abu /Nazir and sometimes all the CIA has left to go on are how certain both women are.

The movie is as long as The Hobbit, but well worth the time. Katherine Bigelow is someone out watch out for.
Coheteboy
Aquaman Smiles Upon Me

Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:16 am

hagop wrote:
Coheteboy wrote:And Amanda Seyfried... who coulda thought she could sing?
She sang in Mama Mia
Oh. hahahhahahaa

didn't see that one.

Return to “The Multiplex”