Official "Last movie you watched" thread

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Official "Last movie you watched" thread

Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:52 pm

Finally caught two movies this past week. It's been a while.

Interceptor was stupid fun. I unashamedly loved it. Some of the dialogue/moments were actually so cheesy that even within the context of this being a modern version of a cheesy '90s action film, it was bad. Definitely the spiritual successor of all the terrible action movies I grew up watching and I had a lot of fun. It's not deep and it's often stupid, but I think that's sort've the point so I enjoyed it instead of being put off by it.
For some reason I got a huge kick out of the silly Chris Hemsworth, let's call it a cameo even though it was a tiny bit more than that.

Dead for a Dollar was excellent. Nothing fancy, and nothing particularly deep either here. But also not as slow and meandering as I expected (and as Westerns often are). I also happen to love basically everyone in this film, so that's a bonus. Solid performances all around and maybe it could have benefited just a tiny bit of that meandering just to get to know some of the characters a little better; I also don't think it really -needed- that. It did everything well enough that I was having fun and invested all the way to the end.

Edit:

Also watched Spirited last night with the wife. While I'm not really a holiday or holiday-movie kind of guy, my wife loves all that stuff. As for as holiday-themed movies go, I really enjoyed this. It felt really bizarre sometimes seeing these two guys in a musical. It was hilarious, though. The wife loved it as well. Not something I'd ever feel needs a re-watch, but a good way to spend a couple of hours in the evening and a nice kick-off to what is apparently going to be a 'Christmas movie every weekend until Christmas' thing.
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale

Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:39 pm

Caught two Florence Pugh flicks the past two days, and she's indeed great in everything she does. She gives me 'Kate Winslet 2.0' vibes in her looks but she's a 'calmer' actress than Kate.

Don't Worry, Darling on HBO was a decent little 'Twilight Zone' flick but the ending needed just a tad more to it for the tale to feel complete, and Olivia Wilde's choices for interstitial clips while Pugh is unconscious don't feel connected to the character; but it's a decent flick overall. The rumors of on-set infidelity might make it difficult for Wilde to direct more movies but I'll watch them if they get made and look interesting.

The Wonder on Netflix was the better movie overall, and was gorgeous to look at despite being about poor Irish farmers and their miracle daughter that doesn't eat. It's a grim tale about the evils of valuing faith over health and happiness overall. Toby Jones gives his usual excellence, but that's true of the entire cast as well. While I obviously have no experience of 19th-Cent Ireland it feels and looks *very* authentic to me.
Night Wolf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:16 am

Nope

This movie is real bad. dont watch it. i waited the whole 2 hours for a alien that never came out. they did do a good job with the trailer, SMH.
oh and that "spaceship" that you see in the trailer, it becomes a cloth like octopus, if that makes sense?? Just say Nope to "Nope" the movie. its so bad, that it makes my top ten worst movies of all time list...

On another note: 'Get Out' was a excellent horror movie, dont know what happened with this movie since its from the same guy?
Bashbash99
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:16 pm

Personally, i thought Nope was reasonably good, altho i don't think either Nope or Us was as good as Get Out.

Finally watched Everything, Everywhere All At Once. Enjoyed it overall, i don't think it quite lived up to the hype (few things can) but certainly a much better "multiverse" movie than MoM was. I think i liked the first hour or so the best. But man was the cast great, Jamie Lee Curtis' IRS agent was a real hoot and i can't believe that actor was Short Round way back when.

Also watched Troll on netflix. Nothing special but it kept me entertained

Looking forward to Guillermo Del Toro's Pinnochio, as well as Glass Onion.
Prophet924
Thwipp!

Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:32 am

Violent Night pretty much was as advertised. Some charm, mostly gore and taking things from all the main Christmas movies and twisting the knife.

It’s no Die Hard. It’s ok. David is very interesting as Santa. The pain and carnage is comical. It’s what it is. Santa is a Viking warrior and he really bashed in heads.

Thwipp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rcummings2011
Here comes a new challenger!

Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:38 pm

Little Women with my daughter…the Winona Ryder/Susan Sarandon version….so much better than the newest one.
yojoebro82
Not Even Supposed To Be Here Today

Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:01 pm

Batman Returns. Twice. Once on Friday, then again on Saturday night as background noise while I rearranged things in the figure room. Because why not? It's the best Christmas movie, and the best Batman movie!
Quasi Mofo
I wish I had super powers

Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:50 am

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever. I really wasn't sure how I was going to feel seeing this. Honestly, I figured it might be a bit sad, but they would address Chadwich Boseman's death and then move on. NOPE. Cried my eyes out several times throughout. SO GOOD. It truly felt like the characters AND actors were talking about their special relationships with a true superhero. Really a SUPERhero film.
Night Wolf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:33 am

Black Adam

Overall the movie is Decent. not good or bad. there are alot of things that i didnt like. for one, they made Atom smasher have a timid personality, he should have more of a backbone. the casting on Atom and Dr fate, i didnt like either. pierce bronson as Dr fate was lackluster. Hawkman was excellent but i think he should have shaved his beard when he had the helmet look. it threw off the outfit. the storyline was good and it had plenty of action also. the Rock did decent acting, alittle stiff but i expected that.

the final black adam outfit was badass, didnt really like the other one he wore the whole movie, was kinda plain and monochrome. the funny cowboy shootout part was unnecessary in the movie. and there is no way that Sabbath is stronger than Dr. fate, no way but whatever. and what was up with Sabbath voice? he sounded like a heavy accent german LOL the end credit scene was awesome, that made me giddy. also the movie design of sabbath looks way better than the figure that came out of him. they shold have showed more easter eggs. there were some but not too much. big fan of easter eggs.
Night Wolf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:09 pm

Forever Purge

OH yea. this movie is superb! ive always been a fan of the Purge franchise and i think they should do figures of all the Purgers.
I even dressed up as a Purger one Halloween (the guy with the cross on his forehead) Anywho, this movie is filled with action from start to finish and does a great job at the atmospheric feeling like something is going to happen. another thing, that pops out on the screen is that they used a 'Cowboy/Western' theme for this movie instead of the regular "City/Urban" theme.

Hey, even NAMOR (Tenoch) is in this movie and he does a great job acting. he is one of the MAIN characters of the flick. they showed current events in the movie, i usually dont like that but for this movie it was passable. I enjoyed this movie alot, i also believe in the Purge, it should happen in real life. I would visit all my ex-bosses.
Andron X
I come from the land up over

Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:02 am

Night Wolf wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:16 am
Nope

This movie is real bad. dont watch it. i waited the whole 2 hours for a alien that never came out. they did do a good job with the trailer, SMH.
oh and that "spaceship" that you see in the trailer, it becomes a cloth like octopus, if that makes sense?? Just say Nope to "Nope" the movie. its so bad, that it makes my top ten worst movies of all time list...

You realize that the "spaceship" was the alien right?
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:10 pm

Managed to get in a few movies over the last few days.

Troll on Netflix was pretty enjoyable. It would have been pretty easy to either go too shallow and make it just a goofy monster movie, or go too long trying for that deep connection to make us feel bad for the Troll. I do think they got a good balance here. There's just enough to make you feel bad while still being just a movie where you can watch a giant monster breaking things. I love the concept, too.
Fair to say it's a bit one dimensional and largely predictable, right down to there always being that one government dude that is just super hard for the idea of nuking a city and the plucky people that ignore orders to stop it from happening. Definitely a 'giant monster movie' in a lot of paint-by-numbers kind of ways while still, in my opinion, being really good.

Black Adam was a movie that I watched.
Nah, I didn't hate it. It was fine for what it seemed like it was trying to be. Especially given that it does not appear it's going to be a part of anything bigger. As a virtually stand-alone experience, it does comic book things from beginning to end. All spectacle, no substance. But that's not always a bad thing.

Violent Night was pretty much a perfect movie. Everyone involved understood the assignment. It's not high art, but damned if I didn't have a ton of fun for the entire run-time. And that's all I really want, in the end.
KolobosRexx
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:02 pm

Just watched "Violent Night", an Absolute Blast of a movie that should go into everyone's holiday-movie rotation! And also "White Noise" on Netflix, a marvelous "arthouse" film based on a famous mid-80's American postmodern novel, featuring Adam Driver! It's long but it's worth it!
Prophet924
Thwipp!

Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:08 am

Glass Onion. Layer after transparent layer. Peeling it made my eyes burn.

It’s not really a mystery and I will admit that probably was the thing that bugged me the most. The film touts being disruptive but it is just a determined effort for an execution of a punch line. The collateral damage to achieve it was empty. I guess Rian Johnson must think his audience is dim.

Wonderful performances by Janelle Monae and Daniel Craig. I like his detective Blanc. He’s worth riding this roller coaster. Janelle Monae is really stunning. Every time she is on screen she is brilliant.

I really liked Knives Out. That was brilliant. Glass Onion is somewhat entertaining. But this idea Rian is fascinated with. Breaking little things and people gather to see the wreckage. Then having the courage to go further and break the whole system. Then people are aghast. Subversion should have a point not just to be subversive.

It points out that Clue us a dumb game. The detective comments on running around ticking off boxes. This film is that. It says we’re just here to watch the world burn. Then it does that.

It’s all misdirect.

Rian Johnson drives me crazy. Often I wonder what was the point. People in power are corrrupt? Ok. Rich people have yes men? Sure. Detectives can be very astute and clueless? Yeah. Previous films on murder mystery are way more clever. Yep. Knives out was.

Just ignore me. I didn’t like it. But it’s a movie made for entertainment. I’m sure it will entertain another.

Thwipp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Night Wolf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:03 am

Narnia: Prince caspian (part 2)

Excellent movie, this is one of those rare occasions where the sequel is better or a tie with the first film. In this one, they show more medieval and less "fantasy" theme. this movie has massive amounts of Dungeons & Dragons vibes. they also have Centaurs galore, im obsessed with Centaurs. this movie is well made, just like the first one. one minor gripe that i have is that prince caspian has a heavy accent, kinda throws off the persona but whatever. they even used the same cast as the first but now they are older, pretty kool

Return to “The Multiplex”