Official "Last movie you watched" thread

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
Reefer Shark
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Official "Last movie you watched" thread

Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:43 am

I caught Dune over the weekend, and was expecting a struggle to get through it cause I was a bit out of it.

But I loved everything about it, and didn't get bored at any point. What a great sci/fi flick! The story had substance, but wasn't too complexed making it easy for me to follow. I loved how they depicted these different worlds and ways of living, and I thought all of the talent did fantastic jobs with their roles.

I was feeling some “metabarons” vibes from
this, which is a good thing to me!
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale

Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:31 pm

Speaking of the Metabarons, y'all caught this tidbit, right?
https://deadline.com/2021/11/taika-wait ... 234867589/
Reefer Shark
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:21 pm

Oh shit, thats pretty awesome! Hopefully it’s really successful and opens the door for more movies/shows based on European comics.
AdrienVeidt

Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:32 pm

I caught Dune a 2nd time yday and it's better the 2nd time around. Everything I liked seeing the first time was more appreciated this time, esp how simply splitting it into 2 flicks allowed the plot to *explain* itself unlike the Lynch version. Some of the 'ships in space' imagery was gut-punchingly pretty when I knew they were coming and could soak them in.

Lynch gave us a look at a Guild Navigator almost right out of the gate, but Denis seems to be making us wait for Pt2. One wonders how freaky he's gonna go.
Andron X
I come from the land up over

Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:41 pm

I loved Dune, and I'm thinking of catching a second viewing myself.

Might start the book now, but I don't want to go into the second part comparing everything to how it was "supposed to be". So I might hold off.
jimbles
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:10 am

I haven't seen a new movie in the theaters since Ant Man and the Wasp. At least, I can't think of one that I've seen since. It's becoming a thing for me. But somehow, some way, my friends crowbarred me out of my home and dragged me to the theater tonight to see... Resident Evil.
Spoiler! :
There was a lot of lazy exposition dumps, the characterization was awful, the casting was a complete mess, and they crammed together two iconic gaming stories with neither being given the time nor effort to spotlight the captivating qualities they bring. They put iconic story beats into a little box, shook it up, dumped out the mixed contents, and out came a very flat and static horror survivor story that felt like the stakes and risks vanished as soon as the cast pairs up. For all the sins that we can lay at the feet of the first Milla RE movie and the subsequent trash that it brought forth, at the very least that singular movie developed a story within its run time that felt merited by the sum of its parts. You didn't get a great movie, or even a good one that could survive child-level scrutiny towards its logic, but even as a product of its times it stood out as a mechanically fine mid-afternoon weekend movie for one of the lower cable channels. This new RE doesn't really even grasp that low bar.

I will say that, visually, there was at times a slickness and sophistication to the camera work and environmental aspects that I enjoyed. None of it, zero, zilch, nada, was ever utilized during what should have been slam dunk easy action scenes. You could catch instances of moody intent in quick camera shots that framed subjects against the sickly green city, but then they just go bye-bye and you're back to banality. I have a feeling that a lot of what I felt worked in terms of visual composition was probably aped nearly 1:1 from the recent high budget next-gen remakes of these games. It also seemed like there was a schizophrenic split between visual creatives here, like there was two directors picking and choosing which scenes they get. The early Raccoon City shots feel so much more accomplished and intentionally crafted than basically EVERYTHING that happens once the cast starts reuniting. Again, probably because they just stood on the shoulders of gaming giants and only had to puzzle over how to reproduce something in a single shot that someone else applied artistry to when making it for the game.

But man... those action scenes. Just pure impotency. I talked about the stakes and risks vanishing, and that's an enormous part of why the action was so woefully limp-dicked. Nobody seemed like they were in any danger. There wasn't a sense of retreat given the enormity of the situation, or widespread disarray and conflict about how best to handle a situation. There was nothing but linear progression and zero questioning about it. That type of rail-style cold progression can 100% work for a game, no question. But that's because you as the player are the guiding hand and you as the player internalize those feelings through your decisions; how you waste or conserve ammo in a surprise attack, or how often you save the game, and so on. When there is flesh and blood actors on screen, they need to now be saddled with YOUR fear and doubt, and it requires their expressions to give it gravity. In even a bare bones competent move, risk and stake becomes decision and consequence, and the misfortune that arises is dealt with in a way that defines a character. This was completely neglected throughout the entire movie. Even with the every-man character... Leon. *sigh* Shaking my damn head here...

This gets us to characterization and casting. And holy shit, I don't want to even devote too much time to this. It just sucks. The entire breadth of their casting is miserable. Leon is presented as an incompetent desk jockey with the masculine presence of Michael Cera bumbling his way through life. Wesker is a villain with no underlying motivation and you can see the actor's Hollywood career die before your eyes in the embarrassing mid-credits scene that ambitiously, hilariously, pushes for a sequel that has the same right towards existence that harvested fetal tissue in a petri dish does. Jill looks like she's 15 years older than everyone else and yet her main trait is that she has the maturity of a 12 year old. Chris and Claire are quite literally just bare strands of plot string used to tie Birkin into the core characters somehow. And Birkin devolves into nothing more than a hilariously hammy, utterly hollow attempt to provide substance to Chris and Claire, even though in the process they basically completely eschew the most obvious motivations he would possibly have, i.e. his daughter. They, like... okay, I have to think on this... yeah, okay, they completely forgot he has a daughter. Like she becomes incidental and not part of his motivations, ever. It's just so bonkers.
I can't think of anything else to really say.
wraith1701
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:06 pm

AdrienVeidt wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:32 pm
I caught Dune a 2nd time yday and it's better the 2nd time around. Everything I liked seeing the first time was more appreciated this time, esp how simply splitting it into 2 flicks allowed the plot to *explain* itself unlike the Lynch version. Some of the 'ships in space' imagery was gut-punchingly pretty when I knew they were coming and could soak them in.

Lynch gave us a look at a Guild Navigator almost right out of the gate, but Denis seems to be making us wait for Pt2. One wonders how freaky he's gonna go.
Yeah, it’s a beautiful film.

While we didn’t see a fully mutated 3rd stage navigator, I think we got a look at some early-stage Guild reps in the Emperor’s group that delivered the “Invitation” to Duke Leto.
5879DABB-99F1-48BE-9CA3-C4615A3D9CD2.jpeg
5879DABB-99F1-48BE-9CA3-C4615A3D9CD2.jpeg (125.99 KiB) Viewed 1677 times
Night Wolf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:26 am

Dont breathe 2

Damn, this movie was amazing. even better than the first one. it was more gory and dark. Stephen lang did a great job again as the blind man.
really liked the plot twist on this one also. i recommend it. there is also a end credit scene. action packed from start to finish, good backstory, atmospheric and great acting.
KvHulk
Super Poseable

Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:25 pm

Venom. Let there be cabbage. My wife wanted to watch it. it was utter rubbish. As expected.
AdrienVeidt

Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:47 pm

I caught NetFlix' The Harder They Fall, with Idris Elba and whole raft of other watchable actors. Jonathan Majors continues to impress, as does Lakeith Stanfield. I especially liked seeing Regina King again after knocking the Watchmen series out of the park. Zazie Beats is still gorgeous as all kinds of hell, and I got a kick out of Delroy Lindo as Bass Reeves. The gunfight at the end is fun stuff. Overall I liked the movie but the director wanted to push it as more of a Fantasy Western than 'realistic' with music and some design touches in the saloon that didn't work for me. It felt incongruous with the rest of the movie that was done more straight-faced aside from how everyone's clothing was always clean, against the modern trend in Westerns. I liked the move but the director needs some more time to be able to really tell the sort of story he wants to tell, imho.
Bashbash99
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:16 pm

AdrienVeidt wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:47 pm
I caught NetFlix' The Harder They Fall, with Idris Elba and whole raft of other watchable actors. Jonathan Majors continues to impress, as does Lakeith Stanfield. I especially liked seeing Regina King again after knocking the Watchmen series out of the park. Zazie Beats is still gorgeous as all kinds of hell, and I got a kick out of Delroy Lindo as Bass Reeves. The gunfight at the end is fun stuff. Overall I liked the movie but the director wanted to push it as more of a Fantasy Western than 'realistic' with music and some design touches in the saloon that didn't work for me. It felt incongruous with the rest of the movie that was done more straight-faced aside from how everyone's clothing was always clean, against the modern trend in Westerns. I liked the move but the director needs some more time to be able to really tell the sort of story he wants to tell, imho.
I need to give this a 2nd try, stopped early on after Zazie was singing in the saloon as i felt like maybe this was going to be a half-musical, half-western kind of thing (a modern-day Paint your Wagon?) but that's probably not the case.
AdrienVeidt

Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:24 pm

Nah, not a musical but the soundtrack is too modern while the film isn't; if you catch my drift. Rap to a bunch of cowboys simply riding dusty over the hills just doesn't mesh well to me. This could have been 'black Tombstone' in a lot of ways but it just doesn't reach those heights.
Andron X
I come from the land up over

Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:02 am

I watched "Walking Chaos"

I heard the reviews were bad. But I thought the premise seemed worth checking out.
It is a very very stupid movie. Nothing makes sense, and every scene seems to contradict another. It's not clever, and what good ideas they have are wasted.

And I'm sick of alien planets that look just like Vancouver. If you set a movie on an alien planet, you got to have the budget and vision to pull it off. Give me some purple trees or something. This could have easily just been a western with minimal changes.

And the big twist at the end, is so so so dumb.

I didn't regret watching it, as it entertained me for the evening. But the people responsible for this should be ashamed. This movie doesn't make a lick of sense.
Night Wolf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:34 am

Encanto (disney movie)

Perfection...this movie is superb. Disney does it again. this is a great movie for the family since the main point of the movie is about family. never a dull moment in this flick. this movie is like a X-men meets Latino family or like a Latino, cute & softer Justice League LOL it was very funny and the songs were good. gonna buy it once it comes out on disc. hopefully they make a sequel to this movie. the Colombian culture references were on point, alot of Colombian easter eggs to watch out for. it is a very colorful and magical story. Fun fact, this is the first time a disney princess wears glasses. it has even won an NBR award so far for best animated movie. go and watch this movie it doesnt disappoint. it shows alot of animals that havent been on the big screen like the Koati and Capybara for all you animal lovers out there.
Night Wolf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:36 am

Space Jam: A new legacy

Excellent movie, it shows the looney tunes in cartoon style and in the modern animated style but heres the thing, they raised the bar in the animation dept. you can actually see the fur on the animations, ive never seen that, not even on a Disney movie. WB is killing it with this movie. if you like easter eggs, like i do, you will have blast with this one. during the whole movie they show easter eggs every where. very well made. another thing i like, is that the Looney tunes have alot of screen time, which is great. im gonna end up buying this movie for sure.

Easter eggs that i saw (i probably missed alot more):

space ghost
flintstones
king kong
iron giant
scooby doo
jabba the shark
IT the clown
the mask
game of thrones
joker
yogi the bear