Official "Last movie you watched" thread

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
Prophet924
Thwipp!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Official "Last movie you watched" thread

Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:08 am

Luca- bel film!

Thwipp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kailryu
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:37 pm

Fast and Furious 9

Fun enough

jimbles
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:31 am

Gundam - Hathaway's Flash

**SPOILERS**

Mixed feelings, to be sure. I grew into an anime buff during the OVA period where stories were spread out over long delays but the writing beats were happening over a 25-30 minute window. This new style of writing... I dunno. It lacked any sort of gripping power.

The story will be spread over a trilogy of films so it's hard to just plop down an opinion based upon 1/3 of its intended totality. But it felt like they were tripping over themselves to be as un-Gundam as possible aside from the minimum mandatory robot action. It was good action, don't get me wrong, but some of it felt out of place relative to the character-driven story elements. The scene with Gawmon (a nice klingon name if ever there was one) in the city was masterful in some ways, but clumsy and haphazard in others. The confrontation with Lane was borderline illogical and only seemed to come about because the story would be dull otherwise.

None of it really felt like the stakes of the mecha battles played into developing the characters themselves (except I guess Lane now has a rival due to his defeat, and showed personality when he was manipulated into giving up Gawmon). Okay, yes, Hathaway saw a bunch of collateral damage during the city mecha fight. That should build character as a result of action, right? Like, wow, a real eye opener. Except he orchestrated it... and he knew about the indifference that the Earth elites and war powers had towards civilians... So it was basically a toss-away moment that was just there to put Penelope on scene and give Gawmon to Sleg.

What character development happened as a result of that entire battle? Hathaway felt miffed at Anaheim Electronics for playing both sides? That seemed to be the biggest emotional response, and the only one logically allowed given his role in the entire skirmish. Maybe we're supposed to dislike Hathaway because of his reckless disregard for public safety? Who knows, because the consciousness of the civilian world is not even incidental in this story, it's surmised in a brief exchange with a cab driver and irrelevant after the city dust up.

When I think about what defines a Gundam story, I typically think about the plots with rather wacky philosophical elements that ponder over a world far removed from our own, with an underlying current of the horrors of war. With Hathaway, we're getting dry rehashed content about Earth elites this, and space emigration that, and just... it's been done before. And better. To me, the first movie demonstrates why Hathaway wasn't produced into animation for so long. Wish they would have done up Sentinel instead, since it covers a portion of the UC timeline that is of key interest, but of course the rights issue would be a nightmare.
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale

Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:23 pm

Caught and quite enjoyed the Fear Street movies on Netflix, 1994 and 1978; with the third 1666 soon to drop. There's a bit of 'Cabin in the Woods' to it with how the universe is set up; and it works well.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:38 pm

Gunpowder Milkshake was absolutely ridiculous nonsense and I loved every minute of it. The 'hallway fight' is just.. hilarious and awesome. Another one of those movies that I love so much because it knows exactly what it is and it just does that for its entire run time.
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale

Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:47 pm

Fear Street 1666 was also good. I'm torn on GunShake but 'hilariawesome' is something I like so I'll check it out.
Mr potatohead
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:00 pm

Annabelle films. 1st was total dreck, but I had heard by all accounts that the 1st film is really bad so I was well prepared. I'd say the actors were fine and feel sorry for them being in this turd. Writing was the worst hack job I've seen since Orci/Kurtzman (who am I kidding--it's worse). Directing was pretty bad as well. The writer/director just threw everything they could copy out of other films into the bag without knowing how to make the scenes effective.

2nd film I was not prepared for. All accounts from critics/enthusiasts were this was actually a decent if not good film. Ugh! So boring and dumb. I'd say all but maybe 3 of the plentiful jump scares were pathetic/ill-earned. I actually started getting angrier the longer continued. You know it's bad when you start hoping the children die just so something happens.

3rd was surprisingly watchable (especially once I found out the writer of all 3 films stepped into the director's chair. Probably due for the most part for small but substantial scenes involving the ever wonderful Wilson and Farmiga adding so much more humanity than this series deserves. The rest was entertaining enough I didn't want to punch a wall.
Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader

Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:45 am

Jungle Cruise— Really enjoyed this! Reminded me of the fun of the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie. Lots of amusing nods to the original ride plus some creative concepts for the villains. My kids enjoyed it a lot, too.

KnightDamien

Re: Official

Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:47 am

Akatsuki wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:45 am
Jungle Cruise— Really enjoyed this! Reminded me of the fun of the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie. Lots of amusing nods to the original ride plus some creative concepts for the villains. My kids enjoyed it a lot, too.

Was just popping in to say we watched this tonight as well. Totally agree about it being like the first Pirates. The unapologetic use of magic. Certain other things I won't spoil. Just a really fun movie.
BeefCake Head
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:12 am

Watched all 3 John Wick movies over the weekend, having never seen any of them before. I enjoyed all three of them, obviously action packed, without getting stale. The 3rd one, stylistically, was my favorite. Story wise the first one was the best.

The lighting on all three was really good, went very well with the action and mood of each scene. Not without its issues, but am definitely looking forward to the 4/5 ones for sure.
PresidentJuggernaut
Customized

Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:26 pm

TRON - I had seen Tron piecemeal on TV as a kid, and then sought it out for a full watch before Legacy came out. I did not like it at all during that viewing 10 years ago, but this time I really enjoyed it. I think there are a few pretty simple fixes that would have made it a much better movie and a classic, rather than the sort of retro nostalgia novelty that it remains.

First, it needs stakes. Flynn just wants to prove he designed some games, and then to escape the grid. You are only really aware of the threat the MCP represents to humanity from a throwaway line when it threatens Dillinger, and our heroic characters never even know. Some sort of ticking clock in the real world, cutting to back to the human characters throughout, and giving more weight to the MCP would have been better. Also, the game grid bits are the most iconic and remembered scenes, and I was shocked during my rewatch by how brief this part of the movie actually is. They break out with the light cycles pretty quickly. The rest of the movie up until the final showdown really slows down and becomes a slog.
Night Wolf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:37 am

Quiet Place: part 2

overall the movie is quite good. there are brillant scenes and does a very good job at scenes that create tension. there are acouple of things that bother me about the movie. the mother is kinda too dressed up for this movie, she has on orange pants and a tropical blouse LOL she should been wearing something more grimey. the movie is like the Walking dead meets Stranger things. and thats due to the creature having the same look as the series, dont know why they copied stranger things monster? also, the mute girl shouldnt have been in the movie, kinda distracts from the storyline. another thing, when you watch it at home, for some reason they recorded at a low volume or something cause i had to raise my volume quite a bit on my TV. Also, i dont like that they dont tell us more about the alien/monster, the origins or why they have invaded. and to top it off the ending is super flat. they jsut kill one of the monsters with hi-fi sound and a gun like they did thru out the whole movie, smh. part one was better.

Sidenote: the first time i saw that type of (opening face) creature head design was from Jeepers Creepers then probably Stranger Things got inspried by it and made it popular...
Prophet924
Thwipp!

Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:26 am

Free Guy - fun romantic adventure that challenges the audience whether they are gamers or not to make the choice to make it a great day.

I have so many thoughts on this film. I’m a sucker for romance. The cast does draw you in. Jodie Comer is new to me but she was pretty intriguing. Her eyes in this film were alluring. I really like Joe Keery. That guy is why I enjoy Stranger Things. He is just awesome. He gives me Michael J. Fox vibes. He too draws you in. Ryan is lovable and insanely awesome as usual. I know Taika is the baddie but he is a bit over the top caricature at times. But he’s the baddie.

There are some interesting discussions about creating AI to be abused this film decides to not take as dark as Westworld. I mean saturating AI in violence is what makes Skynet I’m sure. But creating AI to just grow is interesting. It’s also reflective of the human potential whom is given opportunity to grow. It’s interesting. It’s also fun to see all these gamers in the film who level up by doing just random violence in the fictional game like most shooter games to change in the film to route for something not violent. It’s interesting.

Kong v Godzilla and Space Jam were fun. I enjoyed Snake Eyes eventually after a few views. I liked Jungle Cruise and Black Widow. I loved and felt better for watching Luca and Free Guy. Really edifying films.

Thwipp!

Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader

Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:30 pm

Yeah I really liked Free Guy. Fun and endearing film. Plus I got a kick out of seeing Boston on film. Almost every scene takes place right around my office, which shows up several times.

KnightDamien

Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:35 pm

I can't wait to see Free Guy. And I didn't even know it was filled in Boston. That's super cool!

Return to “The Multiplex”

Recent Topics