Official "Last movie you watched" thread

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
kailryu
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Official "Last movie you watched" thread

Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:34 am

Knight and Day

Not a huge fan of Cameron Diaz and heard this was crap back in the day but actually was pleasantly surprised that it was fun enough and had some charm. Kind of a watch-once ‘date movie’ but they don’t quite make them like this anymore so was a nice surprise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bashbash99
CROM!

Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:18 pm

Finally got around to watching JoJo Rabbit, enjoyed it pretty thoroughly.

Recently checked out "Coming 2 America" which i thought was so-so (entertaining, but not all that funny)... that led to a rewatch of the original "coming to america" which i've seen before but its been awhile.. .still holds up imo, lot of hilarious moments ("Joe Louis boxed Rocky Marciano when he was 76 years old!!").
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:42 am

Since it's on Netflix I finally got around to watching Mary, Queen of Scots. Weird that it took me so long because I love period films like this. In fact, I hadn't paid much attention and didn't really know much of anything about this going in, even after it's been out this long. Really enjoyable and well-acted all around. Dug the hell out of it. It's really at the edge of my 'area of expertise' (if I can even call it that), so I'm not 100% sure of all the inaccuracies, but it was good enough for me to enjoy it at least.
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale

Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:18 pm

Yeah, JoJo Rabbit *should* have been completely bonkers but had a very good undercurrent of bigger issues JoJo missed due to his youth. Rockwell was terrific, as always. Taika should be allowed to do any and every movie he wants until he goes up his own ass in 20-30 years as he's got the talent to pull it off.

Keeping with the 'Nazis suck' theme I caught Operation Finale on NF, about the Israelis capturing Adolph Eichmann in Argentina. With Oscar Isaac and Ben Kingsley it was very well-done, imho. I had no idea his trial was the first that camp survivor testimonies went wide to the public. That was nearly 20years after the horrors.
jimbles
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:33 pm

AdrienVeidt wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:18 pm
Keeping with the 'Nazis suck' theme I caught Operation Finale on NF, about the Israelis capturing Adolph Eichmann in Argentina. With Oscar Isaac and Ben Kingsley it was very well-done, imho. I had no idea his trial was the first that camp survivor testimonies went wide to the public. That was nearly 20years after the horrors.
It makes you wish that garbage like Mengele were caught and brought to justice, too. I think about that often. And, frankly, it makes one wish that an asiatic power had risen that could have slipped into Japan and clandestinely snagged up their war criminals. That the US government protected human garbage like Shiro Isshi, a man in parity to and even exceeding the cruelty of Mengele, is one of the most shameful acts my country has committed in modern times. It turns the stomach.
KnightDamien

Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:48 am

Finally got around to watching I Don't Feel at Home In This World in This World Anymore. It's been on my list since it came out, but my list seems to only ever get longer. Anyway, it was pretty damn good. I enjoyed it a lot. Not even sure how I'd describe it. Funny. Weird. Sometimes uncomfortable/sad. It definitely had things to say, but it also didn't necessarily beat you over the head with them. Good stuff.
AdrienVeidt

Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:45 pm

Caught Dune Drifter on Prime. Very low-budget; but competently done and overall enjoyable. It feels like a great entry in a wished-for 'Tales of the StarFleet' series, or maybe a lost episode of Space: Above and Beyond.
KnightDamien

Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:37 am

Project Power was a fun popcorn flick. I enjoyed that one a fair bit last night, although it may have felt a little slow to get into for me.
Olive00
Here comes a new challenger!

Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:20 pm

I’ve just watched the movie Ready Player One and I can recommend it. I really liked the special effects and graphics. The creators managed to convey such an impressive and large-scale virtual world that I wanted to walk along such magnificent streets. The graphics are more like a game, as the virtual world in this film represents the game. These are the stories I like, in this film there is not only great graphics, but also there is a semantic load, intrigue, there is a love line that smoothly flows through the entire film. Everything was enough for me - and the entertainment, the scale of the world of "Oasis", there was fullness and a sense of integrity, and humor did not disappoint. On top of that, I liked the actors' play, everything is organic and appropriate.
AdrienVeidt

Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:00 pm

I caught ThunderForce on Netflix and the best thing I can say is that it's aimed more for the female 'feel good' market than the superhero market. It's the lightest of lightest superhero fluff yet. Altho Jason Bateman as the villainous Crab is fun in a 'Mystery Men' kind of way the rest of the movie around him is lifeless and too airy to feel like it matters. Little of the comedy really lands.
Magnuz
Tyrant

Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:53 pm

Watched New Mutants on hbomax, i actually thought it was pretty good for what it was. Definitely not a superhero movie, just a slight horror/drama trauma movie in the x-men universe.

I probably had zero expectations after all the delays and my lack of any real connection to the new mutants as a property (not an x-men book i ever read) but i thought it actually was done pretty well, and the story was decent and the characters were all pretty cool especially illanya. I actually liked this more than a couple of the main line x-men movies.
KnightDamien

Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:36 am

AdrienVeidt wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:00 pm
I caught ThunderForce on Netflix and the best thing I can say is that it's aimed more for the female 'feel good' market than the superhero market. It's the lightest of lightest superhero fluff yet. Altho Jason Bateman as the villainous Crab is fun in a 'Mystery Men' kind of way the rest of the movie around him is lifeless and too airy to feel like it matters. Little of the comedy really lands.
My wife and I enjoyed it for what it was. It was basically just 'a Melissa McCarthy movie -- this time she has super powers.' I got from it exactly what I expected to get from it. Cute, made me chuckle more than a couple of times. And unlike a lot of movies lately it did not have a bloated runtime, which was nice. Not something I'd recommend at all unless you're someone that already enjoys Melissa McCarthy movies. This is just more of that.

Speaking of bloated movies.... watched Godzilla vs. Kong tonight.
[email protected]#$ sake. Did that need to be 2 hours long? I actually enjoy stupid monster fight movies quite a lot. I liked King of Monsters. And Skull Island. But this one went way too far down the 'follow these obnoxious humans around' rabbit hole. I Don't. [email protected]#$. Care. About. The. Humans.
I understand some amount of human storyline is necessary if you want the monster fighting to have context and at least some drama/stakes. I'm fine with that. But the cast of human characters we're expected to care about was WAY too large for a monster fight movie and almost none of them were particularly likeable or even hateable. This was a good 2 hour movie that could have been a really good, borderline great, 90 minute movie.
Andron X
I come from the land up over

Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:22 pm

I also watched Thunderforce, and while it's got some pretty lame writing, I didn't hate it. I heard lot of people dogpiling it as the worst movie of the year and stuff, but maybe my problem is I watched it after the newest episode of The Flash, and it made Thunderforce look competent in every way.
KnightDamien

Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:12 am

I can't stand people (like MovieBob) that shit all over basically any movie that isn't trying for an Oscar. As if the very concept of cinema is too high brow for something that's -just- entertainment to belong there. ThunderForce is dumb. But it KNOWS that it's dumb and it's -trying- to be dumb. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a movie doing the thing it sets out to do. Structurally, there's nothing wrong with it. It isn't poorly cast. Or poorly acted. The set design is good. The sound design is good. Costuming is good. Like.. there's no legitimate reason to say it's objectively bad. It's just dumb. Which doesn't appeal to some people. I just wish those people were intellectually honest enough to just say that.
Night Wolf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:13 pm

I rewatched The hills have eyes (remake) forgot how much i love that movie, superb. its very atmospheric. one of my top horror movies for sure

Return to “The Multiplex”