when and how to use [spoiler] tags

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
SamuRon
Big Hands
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

when and how to use [spoiler] tags

Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:03 am

Spoiler - noun
information about the plot of a motion picture or TV program that can spoil a viewer's sense of surprise or suspense; also : a person who discloses such information
I'm sure it's happened to all of us at one point or another - you happen to be reading a thread and *bam* - someone's posted a revealing detail about a movie or tv show that you wish you hadn't seen. sometimes it's just a minor plot point and no big deal. other times it's such a pivotal plot point that there's no reason to even see the spoiled show anymore.

so, be courteous to one another and use the spoiler tags here. how do you use spoiler tags? it's easy. when you're typing up your post, highlight the text you want hidden and then press the spoiler button. you can also manually add them, like this:

Code: Select all

[spoiler]I want this text hidden[/spoiler]
here's some common sense guidelines on when to use spoiler tags:
  • if you saw the movie or show before it's been generally released, use spoiler tags - example: I just saw the sneak preview of Empire Strikes Back and it turns out Darth Vader is Luke's father!
  • even if it's available, some people don't go on opening weekend, so you'll probably want to continue using spoiler tags for a couple of weeks
  • if you're posting a spoiler in a thread about a different movie or show, you should definitely use spoiler tags - it sucks when you want to talk about one movie and end up seeing a spoiler about a completely different movie that you haven't even seen yet - example: in so and so's last movie, it was totally obvious that he was going to die at the end
  • if in doubt, use spoiler tags - it's really easy to do, so there's no excuse for spoiling someone else's enjoyment needlessly
and for the reader, here's a tip: if you haven't seen the movie or show yet, expect to be spoiled if you're going to read the thread about the movie or show.

in conclusion, please practice safe posting in the Multiplex (and any other forum) - wrap your spoilers in spoiler tags!

Return to “The Multiplex”