Lord of the Rings - The Rings of Power (Amazon Series)

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
Bip
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Lord of the Rings - The Rings of Power (Amazon Series)

Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:58 am

I'm not sure what to think about it but I don't hate or dislike it and it's nowhere near as bad as "purists" and supposed Tolkien fans were making it out to be. It feels like Middle Earth but it also feels weird...cinematography maybe? There was a scene between Elrond and Gil-galad that looked like a sitcom compared to the rest of the show. It could be because everything we've seen onscreen has been in the third age. I guess I'm also subconsciously comparing it to the Peter Jackson movies when it comes to wardrobe but I do love the exaggerated larger ears for elves and the fact that John Howe and Howard Shore are involved with the look and sound of the show doesn't hurt.

The first episode was really slow at parts especially the harfoots scenes that almost made me fall asleep. (Admittedly I'd just gotten off of work and had lunch right before watching this.) I really liked the second episode and the scenes between Elrond and Durin IV showing their friendship really touched me for some reason. I at first had my reservations with Galadriel from seeing the previews but I like the character and actress so far. I'm sure some people are going to have problems with this interpretation of her being a warrior here versus the books since she's only mentioned in one battle and the fact that Tolkien literally kept adding, subtracting, and changing things til he died. If this were attached the Jackson Middle Earth movies I could see her being a younger Galadriel.

Overall I don't hate it. Maybe they should have released the first three episodes or do complete season dump like netflix does because the slow start of the first episode compared to the sudden halt while all the events and action were taking off was a bit jarring. There's also a few things that are confusing me but I guess it's because it just hasn't been explained yet. I'll be giving this chance.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:19 am

My reaction after the first twenty minutes (because I was interrupted, not because I threw the remote in disgust):
Spoiler! :
I've been waiting for someone to post in here! Heh. One of my best friends already watched it but didn't say much, saving it for when I'm caught up. I watched maybe twenty minutes before... life beckoned. But the prologue, I guess, felt really weird. It was sorta like watching The Force Awakens. There's a lot right but something felt off, and I can't quite pinpoint it because my criticisms, on their face, seem to apply to Fellowship as well. But obviously I've barely gotten into it yet. I don't hate it either. I want it to pull me in. The beginning felt like a lot of "we need you to see all this for stuff to make sense later but we're kinda bored by it ourselves so, whatever, here." But I was surprised they breezed right through Morgoth, I thought maybe he could get some plot rather than skipping to Sauron again.

But the aesthetics certainly tie it to the Jackson movies. The snow troll fell like a variant of something from the trilogy and Sauron, I didn't get a great look at him, but his silhouette sure looked the same to me. Fell beasts and orcs, all seems to be in line, along with, more or less, the elvish designs (architecture mostly, but I could see these weapons being precursors to the fancier stuff later on).
It goes without saying I need to continue at least the first episode, but that was my initial reaction.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:04 am

I’m about halfway through the second episode. There’s nothing really keeping me going honestly. There’s no hook. In the lotr there’s a hook. It’s right there at the beginning. You know what the story is going to be about. You know stuff is going to happen soon.

With this, we don’t know what the story is about. The prologue doesn’t give any hint that the overall story will be about the rings. If you need to read the description to find out the plot and it’s not portrayed on screen then you have a problem.
Bip
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:03 am

I really enjoyed this week's episode and it was head and shoulders above the first two.
Spoiler! :
-I like the actor that plays Elendil and the way he portrays him.
-I'm guessing they're going to go with the son needing to prove himself to his father and go his own way trope Isildur.
-I'm also guessing Galadriel will begin to learn and use magic at some point.
-I'm wondering if where Arondir is held is the beginnings of Mordor. Also, Arondir's commander's end...brutal. Arondir's hope was crushed in a matter of minutes.
-I also wonder if Halbrand will become one of the Nazgul.
-A lot of people think that the Meteor Man is Gandalf but he doesn't come until the Third Age. I think it's a red herring and believe that it's a form of Sauron.
-I'm also not sure of what to think of the harfoots. They're okay I guess.
Like I said I really enjoyed this episode. It had the best pacing of the three so far and it feels like we're finally starting to go somewhere in this.

On a side note, I really wish the actor that plays Elrond wither grew his hair out or wore a wig. He just looks really funny with the short hair and big ears. It's like the hair and ears make his face stick out.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:36 am

Bip wrote: I really enjoyed this week's episode and it was head and shoulders above the first two.
Agreed that it was better. At least until it got back to the friggin' Hobbits.
Really enjoyed seeing Numenor so far.

Spoiler! :
Bip wrote: -I like the actor that plays Elendil and the way he portrays him.
Agreed. He's fantastic.
Bip wrote: -I'm also guessing Galadriel will begin to learn and use magic at some point.
I'm figuring she already knows. She's Valinor-born Eldar. They're basically inherently magical. But I don't expect to see her slinging fireball and magic missile around at any point, as that's not really what Elvish magic is, and the overt stuff she does seems to come from her Ring of Power in LotR, which obviously she isn't going to get any time soon here.

Bip wrote:-I also wonder if Halbrand will become one of the Nazgul.
Definitely not impossible. I was thinking the other way - it seems like they're implying he's the ancestor of the house of Dol Amroth, which would make him one of the penultimate good guy ancestors. So it almost seems like the swerve was having him be kind of a douche, a thief, and a trouble-maker. But the violent outburst definitely suggests he could be susceptible to dark influence.

Bip wrote: -A lot of people think that the Meteor Man is Gandalf but he doesn't come until the Third Age. I think it's a red herring and believe that it's a form of Sauron.
That's been a super contentious conversation from what I've seen. There's a lot of sides to that. I'm almost of the mind that this is some kind of stupid, wholly original 'let's add to the lore' thing where they try to put their own stamp on the material, because nothing in the actual lore fits whatever this nonsense is. But I think it actually makes more sense for it to either be Gandalf (there's some limited suggestion he tooled around as Olorin in Middle-earth before actually arriving AS Gandalf the Wizard) OR a pre-corruption Balrog, due to the whole fire thing. But that's wrong too because Balrogs don't -start- appearing in the late Second Age.
But also, if it turns out to be Sauron, I don't know if I could put up with it and keep watching. Sauron never left Middle-earth. When Morgoth was defeated he went into hiding. And he's clearly been active because he's guiding the Orcs toward him. So why would Sauron be falling from space? Wouldn't make any sense at all and would be a pretty bad break from the lore, in my opinion.

I do think there's a good chance, though, that this is a new, show-specific character. There's just too many inconsistencies with the written lore for it to easily or even sensibly be anyone else except MAYBE Gandalf as Olorin, and even that is a stretch that I wouldn't be super excited about.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:47 pm

So, I haven't seen this yet but have been reading the reviews and some spoilers mainly to decide if I want to spring for Prime or not - I figure it is still early in the show so not too much could be spoiled. However, about one plot point -
Spoiler! :
Given they showed in the first character looks someone in Wizardy blue robes, wouldn't it make sense that "meteor man" is a blue wizard? I mean who else at this point would be coming out of the sky.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:31 am

fac wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:47 pm
So, I haven't seen this yet but have been reading the reviews and some spoilers mainly to decide if I want to spring for Prime or not - I figure it is still early in the show so not too much could be spoiled. However, about one plot point -
Spoiler! :
Given they showed in the first character looks someone in Wizardy blue robes, wouldn't it make sense that "meteor man" is a blue wizard? I mean who else at this point would be coming out of the sky.
What follows isn't REALLY a spoiler, but I'm directly responding to you, fac.
Spoiler! :
I definitely think that's possible. I can't remember exactly, but I think the Istari all came together? Maybe it's vague enough to mean they came at the same moment, so there are four other meteor guys out there somewhere. I dunno. Or maybe Amazon is straying away from the source enough for it to be one of them anyway?
Truth be told, I still have only seen the first episode though.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:40 am

Der Rabbi and I discussed timeline possibilities on page 3 of this thread...
Spoiler! :
...around the Blue Wizards it was a bit of a moving target with Tolkien as he never really pinned them down and left some options open in later writings.

I think the writers have a lot of leeway here, and in fact you could have one or two Blue Wizards arrive, and whether they are opposed to Sauron or like Saruman fall under his sway, or maybe the two could be at odds with each other over the situation, maybe even die?
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:06 am

Spoiler! :
The impression I always had, and I've not poured over the texts in many years, but I thought the Blue Wizards kinda stayed out of the whole thing and were more in the east somewhere.

But yeah... like I said, I've not really done deep dives into the source material... pretty much since the Jackson movies came out, so for me... it's pretty wide open.
Mister Skeezler
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:33 pm

I'm wondering if they're going with the Blue Wizard for the Stranger...
Cirdan witnessed the arrival of the Order in Middle-earth around the year c. T.A. 1000 (though the Blue Wizards may have arrived much earlier).
The Blue Wizards went into the East and South and do not come into the tales of north-western Middle-earth. It is sometimes thought that the Blue Wizards also failed in their mission and fell to the temptations that had corrupted Saruman; it is said that their fall gave rise to magical cults in the East and South. However, other writings again suggest otherwise, even that the Blue Wizards possibly succeeded in their mission, and that the victories of the West would have been impossible without their influence in the East and South.
Seems like they could explore the story of these Blue Wizards (even just one of them) without stepping on too many toes, lore-wise. I don't know where it's going, and I'm definitely not particularly well-versed in the pre-LOTR content, but this is what popped into my head after I realized that Gandalf wasn't supposed to show up until far later.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:49 pm

I was thinking that too, and did look into the Blue Wizards a bit and think it could conceivably work.

I've seen a theory he's
Spoiler! :
a Balrog before becoming that.
And given what I remember about them, that COULD possibly work. But they were around before that so it wouldn't be as much of a mystery... except, I guess, to these harfoots.

I finally got to the second episode last night and definitely felt it picked up some. The plots of hitting their stride more for me anyway. So I'll keep going with it on the nights my wife just wants to stare at her phone.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:16 am

I give up. This isn’t a slow burn, it’s a no burn filled with idiot characters. And characters that complain, get what they want then complain again. I also love how everyone talks about the characters to describe them. Did we forget snow don’t tell? Oh yeah, it’s being run by showrunnes with zero experience and a blank check.
Reefer Shark
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:31 pm

I had a lot of fun with this show this weekend. Just the escape I needed! It started off a bit slow for me, but I'm really enjoying it now that we're seeing some character development.

It definitely does not feel like the Jackson LOTR trilogy. I think folks that are expecting that are going to be dissapointed. For me, it's a fun fantasy series with excellent production and talent that I can easily get lost in. Enjoying seeing the earlier years of these characters, though it took a bit to get past some of the different actors for the established folks, espcially Elrond.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:53 pm

I finally caught up and yeah, it really picked up. The first episode felt clumsy, but maybe if I rewatch it I'll appreciate it more. The show picked up momentum as it went and this most recent one really moved a lot faster than I expected. I'm fully on board.
Reefer Shark
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:00 pm

This last episode was great! Really fun and surprisingly brutal. I really wasnt expecting that level of violence for some reason, though the trilogy was pretty violent so it shouldnt be a surprise.

But yeah, this episode was a rolloer coaster for me. May need to do a re-watch after the Niners/Rams game tonight!

Return to “The Multiplex”