Last Series You Binged

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
captaincracker
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Last Series You Binged

Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:00 pm

Bashbash99 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:04 pm
Anybody else watching Yellowjackets on Showtime? I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far, although i have some concerns the show could end up being like Lost and sinking under the weight of its own mysteries.

The Premise is that about 25 years ago a plane carrying a girls soccer team crashed in the Canadian rockies and the high schoolers were lost in the wilderness for 19 months, during which a lot of Lord of the Flies stuff occurred, including cannibalism. In the present, at least some of the surviving members (who promised each other to never go public with what happened) are receiving mysterious postcards, containing a symbol that we also see carved into trees in the rockies.

Feels like the premise alone is enough to make for a compelling series... but on top of that, the writers are introducing additional new mysteries with each episode. the most recent one suggest maybe there are supernatural elements involved. I dunno, i guess some of these newer mysteries plus hearing that the creators intend for it to last 5 seasons make me worry this will become like Lost, but anyhow so far so good.

Christina Ricci and Juliette Lewis are probably the most fun to watch but the whole cast is pretty great imo
Just watched this over the past few weeks and the wife and I really liked it. I loved the Misty character by both actresses, but I kind of hated Juliette Lewis,(and the girl who played her as a teenager) and normally I like her acting. Her whole demeanor and mannerisms we're off-putting. I'm sure it's what they were going for, but it annoyed me. Besides that, the entire cast was great.

I'm looking forward to them revealing the mystery behind what exactly happened and the supernatural nature of it all. How do people die? Who goes crazy?

The show isn't perfect, but I'm excited for the next season.
Bashbash99
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:28 pm

captaincracker wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:00 pm
Just watched this over the past few weeks and the wife and I really liked it. I loved the Misty character by both actresses, but I kind of hated Juliette Lewis,(and the girl who played her as a teenager) and normally I like her acting. Her whole demeanor and mannerisms we're off-putting. I'm sure it's what they were going for, but it annoyed me. Besides that, the entire cast was great.

I'm looking forward to them revealing the mystery behind what exactly happened and the supernatural nature of it all. How do people die? Who goes crazy?

The show isn't perfect, but I'm excited for the next season.
Yeah definitely one of my favorites - the psychedelic/ midsommar-ish penultimate ep was my favorite but i thought they mostly stuck the landing in the season finale, especially since they & we knew they were getting a 2nd season.

Recently watched Archive 81 on Netflix, a slow-burn horror/mystery type series featuring a guy who, while holed up at a remote & creepy facility, reconstructs damaged videos in order to investigate how a creepy hotel building mysteriously burned down decades ago. I thought it was pretty decent.

Its slow enough that i almost gave up after the 1st ep, but by the end of the 2nd ep i was into it, so my recommendation would be to give it 2 eps before deciding whether to call it quits.

Anyhow, i really enjoyed ep 2- 6, as the show uses some unreliable narration and some alternate explanations (of varying degrees of plausibility) to explain what appear to be supernatural occurrences, which worked fairly well imo.. kept me guessing a bit which is more fun although given the genre of the show you kind of expect its not all going to turn out to be simplythe protagonist's over-active imagination etc

The last two eps were a bit more straightforward and as a result i didn't enjoy them quite as much, but it was still decent enough for me to feel like it wasn't a waste to watch. Things are set up for a season 2, hopefully it gets renewed.
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale

Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:58 pm

Caught a 6-ep series on HBO called The Head, a murder mystery set in an Antarctic research station during the long winter night. I liked it, and wouldn't mind seeing more of the various actors from foreign lands I'm not previously familiar with. The Cook and the Wife I've seen before, I think.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:12 pm

Finished the final season of The Last Kingdom last night.

Yes, the costuming and some of the set design is absolute, utter, complete trash. And the storyline (from the books) is a bit mangled. But goddamn if I don't absolutely LOVE this show. Like one of my all time favorites. I am so excited for the movie that's going to wrap up the other three books.
PresidentJuggernaut
Runs Around in Tights

Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:25 pm

I am about halfway through Severance on AppleTV+. I received a free six months of streaming when I bought a new phone a few months back, but other than Ted Lasso I found the Apple offerings pretty lacking. Severance is great though. Adam Scott is terrific, and I had no idea Christopher Walken was in it before I started, so he was a fun surprise. The guy who plays the supervisor Milchick, I had never seen him in anything before, but he is also a standout. He is perfectly unnerving in his friendly-intimidating way.
Bashbash99
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:51 pm

have heard good things about Severance so i may end up doing a a month of AppleTV at some point to binge that along with Ted Lasso. Did they have the M.Night show as well or was that Hulu, can't remember.

Anyhow finished up the 1st season of "From" on Epix. This show was touted as "from the creators of Lost!!" although to me that is a warning flag rather than something that encourages me to watch something. Nevertheless i did watch and found the 1st season mostly enjoyable. The premise is random travellers end up trapped in a town that you can't escape from (if you try to drive out all roads somehow end up taking you back into the town) and worse yet, at night they are under assault by vampire-esque monsters that initially present as 1950s small-town folks (milkman, etc) and can only be warded off by placing mysterious talismans in everyone's home.

I had wished that the series would at least start to explain some of the mysteries of the series by the end of S1, but while it did reveal some new info, as usual with Lost type shows the new info just raises further questions without truly answering any earlier ones. I did still feel it was a worthwhile watch but am not looking forward to waiting a year before the next season, assuming the show is even renewed.

Bottom line this show gets a mild recommendation from me, but only if you're the type who can enjoy "puzzle box" shows for the individual episodes. If your priority is getting satisfying answers you may want to skip this one.
Spoiler! :
the season finale even seemed to rip off S1 of Lost, by establishing that there are "Others" that are aware of the town and monitoring its inhabitants. A very plot-convenient storm shows up out of nowhere, much like the weird black cloud from Lost. Plus finding a weird lighthouse which again sounds like something out of Lost. But again this is all the finale - i actually didn't find myself thinking about Lost as much in the earlier episodes. It helps that the show doesn't make as much use of flashbacks - we rarely see any of these folks' lives before they came to town
Been watching Picard as well. so far i am enjoying it more than S1 which i thought was just OK despite enjoying seeing all the old cast members.

Finally, been watching Winning Time, about the rise of the 80s Lakers. Its pretty decent but i wouldn't really call it all that deep. Not recommended if you're someone who can't stand 4th wall breaks. One highlight for me was Micheal Chiklis playing Red Auerbach, but really the casting is quite good across the board imo. I think John C Reilly as the choice for Buss was a good one, I don't think Will Ferrell would be able to walk the fine line between funny and dramatic quite as well.
Samael13
way more of a know-it-all than you

Tue May 03, 2022 10:25 pm

We just got around to watching Station 11 (I'm a big fan of the book, but the whole "world ending pandemic" part made us put it off a bit).
Very, very good; excellent casting, all around, and really satisfying emotional arcs for multiple characters.
Our only nitpick--and it was definitely a nitpick, given how well the rest of the show landed--
Spoiler! :
was that Tyler, despite being amazingly cast, is very opaque. His motivations and his plan are the least explored, despite starting as the primary antagonist. Like... he wants to join the players and makes a veiled threat to Kirsten when she doesn't want him to join, but his motivation for joining *seems* to be to get into the airport to attack the Museum of Civilization, but the troupe hasn't been invited at that point. Also, he clearly has no problems sneaking in and out of the Museum, so why does he need the troupe to do that? And, as far as most of the cast knows, he's a kidnapper who uses child soldiers to blow up people with landmines, but everyone is just like "Oh, Kirsten says he should be in our play, so I guess we should just let him in!"? There's exactly *one* line that suggests the child soldiers part isn't really his fault, but the end of the film shows that he's gathered like hundreds of kids, which means his been pretty active with his kidnapping and cult-indoctrination program, so it feels a little bit like maybe he should have faced a little more... I don't know... consequences?
Despite that, definitely recommended.
AdrienVeidt

Wed May 18, 2022 7:28 pm

Wrapped up S2 of Russian Doll and am in love with what a mess Natasha Lyonne is and plays.
Samael13
way more of a know-it-all than you

Sun May 22, 2022 5:11 pm

Oh, yeah, Russian Doll is really good. We didn't love S2 quite as much as S1, but it's still weird and interesting and worth checking out.
TFitz
Master of Avatars

Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:38 am

Season 3 of the Orville. This show is nothing like when it started. None of the forced humor, and bad jokes. I really liked the season, even though sometimes the "life lessens" were a bit heavy-handed.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:54 am

TFitz wrote:
Season 3 of the Orville. This show is nothing like when it started. None of the forced humor, and bad jokes. I really liked the season, even though sometimes the "life lessens" were a bit heavy-handed.
Would you recommend skipping the first two? Also, is it more kid-friendly than some of the jokes on Family Guy?
TFitz
Master of Avatars

Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:18 am

Ru_1977 wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:54 am
TFitz wrote:
Would you recommend skipping the first two? Also, is it more kid-friendly than some of the jokes on Family Guy?
There's a really good article in the link below. Seth even mentions when he thinks the show "finds itself" in season 2's episode Identity.

I would say the new stuff has some PG13 moments for sure. Not in crude humor, but in storylines.

Oh, and if you just watch season 3, some episodes you will be missing some info, as they do pull from previous seasons.

https://decider.com/2022/08/15/seth-mac ... interview/
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:39 am

Thank you, I will check that article right now. I may try the show on my own before I get the kids to try it.
AdrienVeidt

Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:26 pm

I stumbled onto the finale of Stargate Atlantis Mon night after a months-long rewatch on PlutoTV. Few of the characters really 'hit' as much as the classic SG1 team-members do but I enjoy the universe-building of the Ancients enough to get past the Teyla-centric episodes. I absolutely adore the Puddlejumper, it may well be my favorite starship design and canon out there. I love the 'personnel carrier' class of vehicles for playability (rooting all the way back to Kenner's Imperial Troop Transport, I think).
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:58 pm

AdrienVeidt wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:26 pm
I stumbled onto the finale of Stargate Atlantis Mon night after a months-long rewatch on PlutoTV. Few of the characters really 'hit' as much as the classic SG1 team-members do but I enjoy the universe-building of the Ancients enough to get past the Teyla-centric episodes. I absolutely adore the Puddlejumper, it may well be my favorite starship design and canon out there. I love the 'personnel carrier' class of vehicles for playability (rooting all the way back to Kenner's Imperial Troop Transport, I think).
I've rewatched SG-1 and Atlantis way too many times and while SG1 is almost unarguably the better show overall, Atlantis does not get nearly enough credit for how good it actually is - especially once it really gets going late in Season 2-ish. They really get you to care about characters that could have just as easily turned into cardboard cutouts. [email protected]#$ Woolsey! How did they make me love Woolsey!?

I'm trying to binge Sandman but life keeps getting in the way. Its so good, though.
Making my way through the most recent season of Umbrella Academy as well, which is also fantastic.
I also tried to add Orville into the mix but we got in one episode and realized we have too many ongoing shows, so this one will have to wait.

Return to “The Multiplex”