Prey / Predator 5 (2022 - Hulu)

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Prey / Predator 5 (2022 - Hulu)

Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:27 pm

Ru_1977 wrote: Yes! I watched it with subtitles. Some parts were in French too.
The problem with the subtitles is that they're actually too literal, and in so being they actually lose the effect/intent of some of the dialogue. A good translator sometimes has to translate the intent instead of the actual words being used. You see this a lot with Saga translations, as the exact translations of the words used don't make a lot of sense if you don't have a pretty solid background in Migrations-era Scandinavian culture. And some words don't even have direct translations.

DetectiveHoag wrote: If the chauvinist behavior bothers you, it was meant too. This is a period piece, and they made efforts to keep it true to the cultural history. Projecting modern ideas onto another historical culture, is of course going to draw out differences.
You're misunderstanding me. It bothers me for the wrong reasons. It bothers me because I think it IS projecting modern ideas onto another historical culture. WE tend to project misogyny, racism, etc, INTO historical cultures where it doesn't belong because these things seem, to us, like natural fits for the opinions of an older society. Of COURSE strong dude-warriors would think poorly of soft weak lady-people, right? It just makes sense for a 'warrior culture.' But it's often not actually true.
My understanding of the vast majority of Native peoples (from some independent study as well as speaking with the First Nations people I have known over the years) is that gender-based discrimination like we see in the film was not nearly as much a 'thing' culturally until post-Christianization.

It's literally just as bad as seeing an ancient Spartan yelling about how important freedom is. It makes sense to -us- based on our understanding of events, but it's wildly different from reality.

DetectiveHoag wrote: The concept of native Americans as “noble savages” is flawed.
I didn't say a word about 'noble savages.' I've always thought that was a stupid read on history. Every single culture things we would judge it positively on, and things we'd judge it negatively on. If someone makes a movie about the Delian League and wants to portray the Athenians as MASSIVELY sexist; yes. They should. That's absolutely correct. In fact, you'd have to portray them as so massively sexist that it borders on comical villainy. If Prey wanted to show the Comanche instigating violence with other tribes and straight up butchering people? Sure, we know they definitely did that. I'm not, in any way, suggesting they should be portrayed as sweet, kindly hippies just trying to hang out and be chill. I'm saying their flaws should be flaws they actually had. Not ones we've invented or blown out of proportion for the sake of making the hero character's journey more difficult.

Of course, it doesn't ruin the movie for me by any stretch. It was just something that made my eye twitch. And that being said, maybe I'm wrong and it's accurate to their history. Unfortunately, we sometimes take 'this person is X' to mean 'this person speaks for X' and so instead of something like this being based on actual research, it's often based on asking like..asking three non-historian randos what they think should happen and proudly telling media outlets that they used 'culturally significant consultants.'

That being said, even if it is actually historically accurate that this specific tribe was way more sexist than like.. any other tribe; I still feel it was overdone in the movie, as I explained previously.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:44 pm

Was the sexism ever explicit? I know it's probably the intent, but did they ever flat out say it was because she was female? I know they made a crack about cooking etc. It could almost be argued it was more about her age or inexperience (the latter of which, I'm guessing, is why she tended to hesitate so much like when aiming at the bird with her arrow or watching the fellas get torn up by the Predator while she was tied up, though it's also kinda horror-movie behavior, which this movie clearly used a lot), and again... I'm not really arguing they WEREN'T sexist, genuinely asking if they explicitly stated it was her gender they saw as the issue as I can't remember. They definitely did plenty of passive things to infer it at least.

And whether it's accurate or not, or I'm seeing it through modern lenses etc, whatever... I agree it was overdone and wasn't even necessary. They don't see her as able or worthy to join in the hunting and didn't have to be for that reason. But I definitely recognize that, yes, it was an intentional choice by the film makers.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:24 pm

Ru_1977 wrote: Was the sexism ever explicit? I know it's probably the intent, but did they ever flat out say it was because she was female? I know they made a crack about cooking etc. It could almost be argued it was more about her age or inexperience (the latter of which, I'm guessing, is why she tended to hesitate so much like when aiming at the bird with her arrow or watching the fellas get torn up by the Predator while she was tied up, though it's also kinda horror-movie behavior, which this movie clearly used a lot), and again... I'm not really arguing they WEREN'T sexist, genuinely asking if they explicitly stated it was her gender they saw as the issue as I can't remember. They definitely did plenty of passive things to infer it at least.
I think it was definitely more inferred than outright stated. Comments like the cooking thing, the fact that there -were no- female hunters in the group and the scene of her choosing not to go flower-picking specifically showed her walking through a sea of women, etc.

When it comes to inexperience, don't forget that the whole thing with shooting down the bird was that her brother was a bit impatient and she wasn't. Not that she lacked the skill or experience to shoot the bird. Hence the 'I was waiting for it to circle back, now you have to walk across the river to get it' comment that she made.

She held her own in a fist fight with a male warrior, and was said by her brother to be an excellent tracker. So I really don't think it could be argued that it was inexperience getting in her way.

I want to stress again that it didn't ruin the movie for me or anything. I'm not sitting here saying 'this is the worst thing to ever be put in a film and I'm offended by it.' Just that it was something I noticed and thought didn't make much sense.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:41 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
When it comes to inexperience, don't forget that the whole thing with shooting down the bird was that her brother was a bit impatient and she wasn't. Not that she lacked the skill or experience to shoot the bird. Hence the 'I was waiting for it to circle back, now you have to walk across the river to get it' comment that she made.
True, and ultimately that's what ended up being the difference between her victory and his loss in the end I guess. But also his attitude about her doing the Kühtaamia made it seem like it wasn't against the rules or even out of the question for a woman to go through the rite of passage. That may just be about how he views her versus how the other boys do. But it also sorta makes it feel like an adolescent attitude of picking on her for the easiest thing they can think of. And of course this is all entirely my perception and things I'm plugging in myself.
KnightDamien wrote:
She held her own in a fist fight with a male warrior, and was said by her brother to be an excellent tracker. So I really don't think it could be argued that it was inexperience getting in her way.
All true, you're right.
KnightDamien wrote:
I want to stress again that it didn't ruin the movie for me or anything. I'm not sitting here saying 'this is the worst thing to ever be put in a film and I'm offended by it.' Just that it was something I noticed and thought didn't make much sense.
And I'll second this. It was something I noticed as well, more so in retrospect, but I'll definitely watch the movie again. I really loved it.

Also, her relationship with the dog was simply awesome. I would take an entire movie about the two of them even if it had no Predators at all. Or at least an extended cut.
FlexionDynamo
CROM!

Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:50 pm

Good movie. I wasn't looking for another Predator movie, but I happened to watch the two AVPs a few weeks ago (which FORCED me to get a Neca figure), so it was a pleasant surprise this franchise is still active.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:43 pm

Are you planning on another Neca purchase after this movie?
Ibentmyman-thing
Shakespeare of Fwoosh

Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:33 pm

Definitely enjoyed the movie. My only complaints were just basic complaints built around how movies are made now compared to 1987. The first Predator is essentially a perfect action/ horror movie because it has more of a grounded weight behind it, where this movie felt more like Hollywood science fiction, if that makes any sense at all. I don't think the magic of that first movie will ever be topped. Or the testosterone level, but that's a different matter entirely.

I knew from the trailers they were going to be leaning into the "anything you can do I can do at least equally as good" thing as far as the lead character being a girl. The producer is a Comanche and a Comanche historian, so I'm going to assume her take on the roles of people in Comanche society is as true to history as can be while filtered through a dramatic strainer.
Prophet924
Thwipp!

Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:50 am

This Prey film is in my top three of Predators films. I liked the characters and the constant exploration of concept prey. It was worth buying into Hulu for this month. So very good!
Spoiler! :
Shoot her brother almost had that Predator. Could even be said as she wounded the Lion (I think the Predator helped there too.).
I watched it twice this weekend. Pretty awesome.

Thwipp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
seditionary
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:22 am

Finally saw this and was pleasantly surprised. I feel like it was super nice to see a predator learning about our planets hunting animals and seeing him take trophies. He felt more like a wild animal in a way.

I also really loved the brother and sister characters and how fleshed out their relationship and personalities were. Felt like the people that made this actually thought about it and the studio actually let them make it.

Id love to see more stuff like this and it feels like a good sign for the alien franchise under the ownership of the mouse house too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Capman
Amalgam version of "Bat America"

Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:37 pm

I have watched Prey several times now, and it is great every time. Solid #2 behind Predator, but beating out the previous sequels is a low bar, I guess.

A few of my favorite things:
Spoiler! :
(1) The attention to detail throughout the film is my favorite part, specifically how Naru is able to make decisions based on her observations from the Predator's actions/evidence during the film (e.g., mask/weapon design, hunting preference, body heat, tree-jumping, bait). Just great filmmaking.

(2) The Alberta landscape contributed to some amazing cinematography. Really enjoyed the views throughout the film.

(3) Anyone get the music stuck in their head? Fantastic score!

(4) The Predator looking different was a great visual choice, too. When I saw the mask get knocked off and reveal its face, I was impressed. Not all Yautja should look exactly the same.
I only have two main criticisms, one of which I think has been shared, and both are smaller things compared to the overall quality of the film:
Spoiler! :
(1) After Taabe stabs the Predator in the leg with the wolf skull, which is meant to hurt/distract the Predator so Naru can flee, the Predator finishes off Taabe pretty quickly, then spins around quickly. How did she get away in time? The Predator has infrared vision, so he would have seen her running away in the forest, and I'm not sure she could have taken the orange totsiyaa in time to disguise her body heat. Maybe she was hiding the behind the big tree? IDK, just seemed off on realistic timing.

(2) During the final fight, Naru gets caught by the Predator with its lone hand. She has seen his shield in person, so she knows it is coming (which I appreciate), but for Naru to move her small-framed body that is pinned down by a freaking Predator so her head can be between the two rocks was just ridiculous. We have seen the Predator's power against men and a bear, so I'm sorry, but her body realistically would not have moved, and her head would have been cut off.
Mr potatohead
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:41 pm

I just watched it for the 1st time yesterday and thought it was ok. I'm really happy for Midthunder getting the lead in something so high profile. Thought it was beautify shot and landscape was very nice. A few things didn't work for me. I was enjoying the music enough until the synth heavy final action scene totally distracted me out of the film. Someone on one of my music forums used the term "trailer music" for this film and I felt this was applicable to that scene.

I did choose the Cherokee audio which was nice, but I didn't realize the "subtitles" were not actually going to be subtitles, but closed caption. :rolleyes: So that detracted from the overall experience. It'd be nice if the people providing the content could learn the difference. It was funny seeing the trappers' names though; trapper 4, trapper 6, trapper 8... :D

Return to “The Multiplex”