Ms. Marvel - MCU Disney+ Series

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
RoyalCollector
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Ms. Marvel - MCU Disney+ Series

Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:48 pm

You seem to be able to reason out of anything which is great for you :lol:

But tonally it's messed up what was a great slow burn the show had . We saw the vision of Najma and the reveal in the car at the end of episode 2, and then it halts all that build up and makes her a two dimensional villain. They should have allowed the storyline the breathe abit more. One kitchen pow-wow and sofa talk that spanned 4-5 minutes is not sufficient back story. If you wanna show a psychopath acting irrationally, leave crumbs. All four of them becoming fodder to beat up immediately is just weird.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:51 pm

I guess. We're at the mid point of the season now though. It's time to commit to the journey and set the conflict. And I don't know if I can reason out of anything but definitely have a very different perspective on storytelling and character work. Not saying I'm right/you're wrong, but the turn just doesn't jump out to me as that outlandish. Najma gave a vibe from the beginning, especially in the flashback.
Maximoff
no more subnics

Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:37 pm

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if some kind of time restraint will be presented in the next episode.
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:31 pm

RoyalCollector wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:48 pm
You seem to be able to reason out of anything which is great for you :lol:

But tonally it's messed up what was a great slow burn the show had . We saw the vision of Najma and the reveal in the car at the end of episode 2, and then it halts all that build up and makes her a two dimensional villain. They should have allowed the storyline the breathe abit more. One kitchen pow-wow and sofa talk that spanned 4-5 minutes is not sufficient back story. If you wanna show a psychopath acting irrationally, leave crumbs. All four of them becoming fodder to beat up immediately is just weird.
My feeling is that everything outside of the cultural exploration of the character and the artistic decisions of the first episode are just not that well executed. Lazy writing that depends on very convenient leaps in logic, or in this case a quick villain turn to drive another action sequence. As the show goes on I suspect it will be applauded for it's authenticity in depicting Muslim culture, but the villains and superhero stuff will be largely forgettable and will find itself low on the list in comparison to other Marvel shows/movies. If the Marvels movie ends up being really well done I could see Ms Marvel being a strong part of it - given feature film budget to explore her powers and a more menacing (FX heavy) villain.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:49 pm

I guess I'm kinda numb to lackluster villains anymore since that's sorta Marvel's thing. The rest of the stuff (family, culture, friendships, teen stuff) is what got me hooked and still what I'm watching the show for. I was ready to watch even if a villain never showed and they went easy on action sequences, but I'm fine with this sort of thing now and then too. Kamala is an outstanding character on her own in my eyes.
CTVampSlayer
X-23 gots a boyfriend

Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:14 pm

Episode 4 is the best episode yet. For anyone who feels like the show hasn't had enough action, this is your episode. It sold me on the power change too.
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:06 pm

The action was good. A TV show budget for this is at times frustrating when Kamala could just punch people with a huge diamond fist, but instead she... didn't and the dude had to create a diversionary explosion so they could run away.

This episode also swung really deep into the family dynamic which I guess is another symptom of the family-friendly genre. I'll be honest it just started to drag a bit when
Spoiler! :
the one old lady started to rub the even older lady's sore legs.
I understand the importance for the creative team behind this to really delve into the cultural lifestyle - it just doesn't make for as compelling superhero entertainment.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:43 pm

I thought this was pretty good and a nice balance of superhero stuff with the cultural/family stuff. Part of the thing with Kamala is that she is only a week or so into having this power, so I think they are doing a good job with her improving, being more fluid, but not yet knowing what all she can do.
Spoiler! :
The good guy exposition lair was a bit much, hope we learn a bit more about them and why they know these things. The Damage Control folks aren't too good at their jobs if they decide to lead a whole team of supervillains together with only a couple guards, as compared to one villain at a time with 10 guards. But whatever.

Does anyone know where they filmed this? All in studio? The design of the streets was fairly impressive I thought.
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:11 pm

fac wrote:
I thought this was pretty good and a nice balance of superhero stuff with the cultural/family stuff. Part of the thing with Kamala is that she is only a week or so into having this power, so I think they are doing a good job with her improving, being more fluid, but not yet knowing what all she can do.
Spoiler! :
The good guy exposition lair was a bit much, hope we learn a bit more about them and why they know these things. The Damage Control folks aren't too good at their jobs if they decide to lead a whole team of supervillains together with only a couple guards, as compared to one villain at a time with 10 guards. But whatever.

Does anyone know where they filmed this? All in studio? The design of the streets was fairly impressive I thought.
Spoiler! :
I think they went on location to Karachi.

In general, Damage Control only exists in this show to be inept and slightly Islamophobic, as required.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:54 pm

Enforcer wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:11 pm
fac wrote:
Spoiler! :
Spoiler! :
I think they went on location to Karachi.
Spoiler! :
Answering my own question, as I didn't think it would be likely they could have filmed in Pakistan - I did a search and it appears it was filmed in Thailand, both at a studio there and some street scenes around Bangkok.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:37 am

Despite really enjoying this show overall, I did find this to be the weakest episode thus far.
Spoiler! :
Of course, we have to move the story along. But sometimes, maybe, you've gotta admit that the story you want to tell is too big for X number of 40-minute or whatever episodes. Kamala goes from trusting a secret society of covert warriors with a dashing young man to being betrayed by said secret society of covert warriors with a dashing young man to immediately trusting a second secret society of covert warriors with a dashing young man, with basically NO hesitation. It's just.. gramma told me to go have fun, so I guess I should seek training with these people because they know where my powers come from. Even though the group that just betrayed me had basically all this same information.

The show is just very much yadda yadda-ing through a lot of exposition and plot holes, as well as making fairly big logic leaps and character shifts in order to keep the story rolling along. I imagine by the time this all wraps up, I'm going to solidly feel like this could have been two distinct seasons, which would have allowed more breathing room.

Definitely a show where maybe the artistic process of creating a good story is being slightly hamstrung by the needs of the corporation to get these charactes on TV, and possibly ready for their movie appearances, so there's really no time to devote to getting it -just- right, or having slower burns.

By comparison, and no surprise, Loki's show gets a better, smoother narrative. It gradually works from one element to the next and has lots of breathing room and time to digest what's going on for the audience and the characters involved. But it's a show about a character that's essentially 'done' in the MCU and, presumably, they can take all the time they need with this because he's not 'required' for an upcoming movie or marketing blitz.

That being said, I do still think it's an enjoyable show and there were elements of this episode I liked. Just didn't like it as much as the previous episodes.
Magnuz
Tyrant

Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:15 am

This episode did not keep my attention very well, even with the action sequences, i'm just not getting drawn in as the lulls or slow bits just make me lose focus and drift off to my phone or doing something else.

I will say that one thing this show has done (and i'm sure it was an intentional thing on their part) was lead me to look into the partition which i honestly didn't really know about from history. So leading people to learn and understand historical facts of these nations and cultures is something this show is succeeding in doing even if it doesn't keep my attention all the time.
Spoiler! :
Honestly kamala is just constantly at a loss and doesn't know whats going on and forced to trust everyone who may or may not be out to get her. The clandestine are a very boring villain, just bland uninteresting characters and the leader is just meh.

Right now i'm just interested in what the bangle will lead to, and where the hell she's gonna get her costume. Also if carol will show up or not
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:16 am

RE: pacing/covering too much ground -
Spoiler! :
I think a case could be made that the Clan Destine should have been introduced after she gets to Karachi - so what she thinks will be a fun fact-finding trip to talk to her Grandmother to understand the bracelet suddenly puts her between two competing groups and she doesn't know who to trust. It did seem a little off to have the CD turn on her over the course of a single episode instead of spreading that out, and then have them escape so that they are only off the board for half an episode.

I also think saving the whole backstory of the bracelet(s) for the future could have worked as well, if we followed Kamala trying to be a hero like her idols and maybe coming up against situations she couldn't handle yet, more than being a target. Save some of the lore for later, let her try to be the hero who isn't trying to save the world. And maybe they moved too quickly to the idea the power was inside her and not only a function of the bracelet, so that was more of a revelation where she thinks she is just learning to use this magical bracelet.

Maybe this needed 8 episodes instead of 6, with a slower build to Kamala being the center of dimension-ending crisis coming later in the series.
TFitz
Master of Avatars

Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:40 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:37 am
Despite really enjoying this show overall, I did find this to be the weakest episode thus far.
Spoiler! :
Of course, we have to move the story along. But sometimes, maybe, you've gotta admit that the story you want to tell is too big for X number of 40-minute or whatever episodes. Kamala goes from trusting a secret society of covert warriors with a dashing young man to being betrayed by said secret society of covert warriors with a dashing young man to immediately trusting a second secret society of covert warriors with a dashing young man, with basically NO hesitation.
This part hit me hard. It really bothered me.

I wasn't as captivated this episode, but to be fair, I had my laptop open constantly checking the Haslab. I'll rewatch this weekend and give it proper attention.
Prophet924
Thwipp!

Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:16 am

Yeah the bad people are weak and of little interest. All of them-Danage Control, Djinn or Clandestine other than the young man. He’s interesting enough. The mother leader is dull. I also don’t see them as a threat. Oh well. I’m not watching the show for their story.

I do love the cultural and family elements. Kamala’s powers are fun to see her learning to use. It’s a push for me in comparison to her comics powers. They are just more visually appealing to me in the comics. But it’s a push for the character.

I miss the episode one approach of spontaneous art popping up. That was more interesting than the exposition holograms. Eh.

I do like the show but kind of found myself wanting to fast forward over the bad guy fights and enjoy the good stuff.

Thwipp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “The Multiplex”