Peacemaker HBO series

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
Bashbash99
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Peacemaker HBO series

Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:43 am

Anybody watched this one yet? I binged the 3 eps, i dunno it had its moments but i'm not sure its really my thing.

Fairly or not, i keep comparing Cena's Peacemaker to Reynold's DP, and that doesn't really work out in Cena's favor. I assume some sort of redemption arc is coming which will hopefully make the character more appealing, he was of course a bad guy in Suicide Squad and not particularly sympathetic thus far in this series.

I liked the characters of Harcourt and Adebayo the best, and Eagly is cool.

While its great that Gunn has his own series that he can run wild with, i think i prefer it when he is reined in a little bit by Disney or even the need to keep things PG-13. But that's likely just me.

I plan to watch next week's episode, at that point i have to decide whether to keep HBO for another month.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Re: Peacemaker HBO series

Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:56 am

I intend to watch it but probably not until the season is over. I enjoyed the character, mostly, in the movie (which I only just watched last week), so I'm open to it. I can see why you'd compare him to DP though.
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale

Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:05 pm

I [email protected]#$ loved all that shit. The hilarious shit was hilarious and the character nuances were clear, direct, and effective. I'm not sure about the revised origins but they're being well-produced.

Cena is surprisingly subtle in showing some depth to PC, imho. Christopher Chance isn't necessarily a deep and subtle character but Cena is showing us every ounce of what makes the character tick, imho.

Vigilante is more the DP stand-in, imho. I'm not sure I like giving such a deep character from the Post-COIE era this radical a reinterpretation; but I am enjoying the fun dumbness of the portrayal we're getting here. I just wish he were given another DC character's name and outfit - Wild Dog would be perfect, imho. The actual Vigilante outfit looks friggin' great, tho.

I'm fully strapped in and ready for the rest. GimmeGimmeGimme.
Andron X
I come from the land up over

Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:01 pm

This is right up my alley.

That opening dance number is terrific, and that title card is beautiful.

I love it when these properties manage to feel somewhat grounded. Peacemaker feels appropriately fleshed out. Showing his horrible abusive father explains a lot about why he is the way he is- and his Dads artillery closet was a fantastic design. I kept looking at all the details in the room. I love how it swirls and forms when they walk in.
Having him cry, and bring up a couple times that he's not happy about killing peacemaker really helps make him a bit more likeable too. It's constantly shown that he's aware people see him as more of a villain, and he wants to be a hero, but he might be too much of a meathead to know how.
Plus Eagly is great, and helps sell him as a likeable guy too "He's hugging me! Dad get my phone!"

I don't really see much of a comparison between Peacemaker and Deadpool personally. Vigilante moreso yeah. Wilddog would have been another good choice, but at least Vigilante and Peacemaker have a bit more of a history together in the comics (I think)

Speaking of which, I did some research on his comic counterpart as I only had a passing knowledge of him. I'm digging the changes they've made.
And now that his dad has been revealed as a supervillain, do you guys think he will wear armour somewhat like his comic counterpart? They've already mentioned he has suited up in the past, and he clearly is shown to have the technology.

I have no complaints so far, and I'm probably forgetting a lot of the stuff I loved about it right now. But I like the natural flow from suicide squad to this. James Gunn is carving his own little corner of the DCEU and I love it. Right now it seems like Marvel is trying to keep things somewhat homogenous, while DC is getting more comfortable with letting directors do their own thing. Both strategies have their advantages and disadvantages, but I might feel more excited about upcoming DC projects right now.
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:40 pm

Yeah, put me in the camp of loving this series and how it's going. Cena committing fully to the role is awesome. Considering how PG-13 he had to keep his career when he was a WWE headliner it's still fun and surprising to hear him lean in on the hard R content. As for the comparison between this Peacemaker and the Reynolds' Deadpool is off. Reynolds plays Deadpool dripping with irony, comedic cynicism and even nihilism that works. But there's an ever present self-awareness to the portrayal. Cena portrays Peacemaker as fully earnest not realizing at all how over the top he is and with only brief flashes of self awareness. I think Cena is doing a great job wringing out every bit of a character that just isn't, or at least hasn't been, very deep.

I was a big fan of the Adrian Chase Vigilante comic in the 80's . I do think this version is making him the Deadpool-lite comic relief. But frankly I appreciate that too. The Chase character is as equally committed to his cause - deadly justice for all law breakers - as Peacemaker is to his.

I'm excited for the rest of the season. Super Hero comedy shows aren't the easiest to pull off but are a ton of fun when they work.
AdrienVeidt

Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:18 pm

Are the Butterflies from DC canon? They aren't ringing any bells for me.
Andron X
I come from the land up over

Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:30 pm

Right now they remind me of the Shrikes from Agents of SHIELD.
If they end up flying into peoples mouths to take over their bodies, it's going to be really uncanny.
Aleks
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:15 pm

I really like it so far. To me it's better\entertaining then any MCU Disney+ shows.

I'm sure some hardcore Vigilante fans won't like it as much though... :lol:
TFitz
Master of Avatars

Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:38 am

Andron X wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:01 pm

That opening dance number is terrific, and that title card is beautiful.
YES!! After seeing long opening credits, I always skip them on future shows. I've watched this opening with full smile each time. It's hilarious!

Add me to one who is loving this series! I agree with you guys that think Cena is playing a meathead who realizes many people see him as bad, though he fully considers himself a hero. But a hero with regrets (killing Colonel Rick Flag). Cena is good and getting in some nuanced reactions, though when he's full on crying and scared of seeing Vigilante's dick makes me LOL.

Eagly is well done. I love that TV shows can do such things so well now.

My one quip was that he couldn't kill the family even after seeing their weird long ass tongues. Him being hesitant before that reveal was good growth, but after that, him holding back really didn't fit his character imo.
Prophet924
Thwipp!

Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:26 am

Why would Amanda Waller put her daughter in the harms way of this world invasion?

I know she’s messed up but going around and killing these butterflies seems like a good way to get her jacked by these aliens.

I mean it looked like the suspected world map of the potential butterflies is way way more a threat than these assassins can handle. I actually think that scene jumped the shark. It made their mission way less believable.

Peacemaker’s dad is a stinking genius. He has a freaking armory between dimensions. He is piece of crap of a person.

I get sucked into these things. I want to see where it goes. But it’s tough to root for any of these characters. I guess it doesn’t matter if they all die by the end.

It was kind of good to see him have some remorse for killing Flagg. It was interesting to see him have a panic attack when faced with killing the family. Inconsistent but interesting.

What exactly was the advantage to not telling him what butterflies were? What does him having that knowledge compromise. I get that it is withheld for the audience to discover but telling this character he is killing alien invaders would probably make him commit to killing whatever they pointed his gun at.

Obviously they’re bad these butterflies. They are out to take over the planet….or are they? Could be another twist they throw in…nah these are invasion of the body snatchers types of aliens. Surely one of the team is going to get possessed and they will have to kill them.

Thwipp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:31 am

Bashbash99 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:43 am
While its great that Gunn has his own series that he can run wild with, i think i prefer it when he is reined in a little bit by Disney or even the need to keep things PG-13. But that's likely just me.
I'm with you about the Gunn being reined in a bit is the Gunn I prefer. Given that, I thought the first two episodes were amusing and had some cleverness to them, and I find the story interesting and the character dynamics good. But eventually I find the excessive violence and language to start to seem forced to the point it becomes boring/wearying, if that makes sense. Will get to episode 3 later this week.
AdrienVeidt

Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:33 pm

Becoming 'boring/wearying' is another way of saying they gave you as much you wanted and had more to spare. It's like complaining there's too much food, imho.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:06 pm

More like I enjoy a good steak but I wouldn't want a 48 oz T-Bone every dinner for a month...
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:23 pm

Finally finished the first three and definitely loving the ride. I get why it's not exactly for everyone but for me it's the perfect mix of violent and dumb humor to balance the other stuff we watch right now.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:27 pm

Watched eps 3 and 4 and enjoyed those, still over the top but maybe a bit less so, which worked for me. I like Vigilante's character - the scene in the prison was great; Waller's daughter is intriguing as to her role in this; curious where they go with the Butterflies as good or evil or both. I have to admit, Peacemaker's Dad bis so truly over-the-top despicable that he becomes kind of amusing. Not sure if Peacemaker is showing too much growth - but given he regrets not questioning his orders in The Suicide Squad I think it works - and it is open to interpretation, as Murn mentions, whether it is due to the orders, or kids, or going soft.

I do think ep 4 suffered from not enough Eagley.

Return to “The Multiplex”