Masters of the Universe: Revelation

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Masters of the Universe: Revelation

Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:51 am

The Gill-Man wrote: Yeah, I thought it was incredibly obvious, even without
Spoiler! :

Yeah, it really does seem to keep coming back to 'have you ever consumed any kind of entertainment before?' I'm not downing Smith when I say this, but I don't think very much, or even anything, in MOTUR is breaking new ground. The SECOND they were like 'no, Roboto can reforge the sword!' for basically no reason when MAA offered to come along, I was like 'oh, it's going to kill him to do it, probably in a very Thor: Ragnarok kind of scene.' And ... yup.

On the subject of Roboto's death, I agree that he's the easiest and also hardest to bring back. Since he's created from MAA's memories and everything, but is essentially without.. a 'soul,' we might say, any Roboto they bring back wouldn't actually be Roboto. It would be a new Roboto. At least if it follows the typical sci-fi fantasy tropes that fleshies have souls and robots don't, even 'aware' ones.

That being said, I also agree that his Mass Effect 'does this unit have a soul?' death was too impactful to waste on bringing back a character that isn't absolutely critical to the ongoing story like He-Man or Skeletor. Orko's sacrifice was basically what I expected it to be right from the beginning of all the Orko controversy where everyone was like 'Smith CONFIRMED that he dies.' Bullshit. He never said those words and that definitely doesn't seem to be what happened. Sacrifice and loss aren't the same thing as permanent death in fantasy and I really don't get how so many people don't get that.
I'd also like to talk about Scareglow. Spoilers for Ep. 4, as well as speculative spoilers for the direction the show might take and blah blah. And maybe a bit of Evil-Lyn stuff.
Spoiler! :
The Scareglow question. Many of you probably know what that means; the old tag line that Scareglow is the 'ghost of Skeletor' and fans debating whether that meant he was literally Skeletor's actual ghost, or whether he was a ghost that served Skeletor. MOTUC answered this question with the latter and made him his own character.
Is Smith going the opposite direction?

He's a skull-headed dude that lives in Subternia, possibly because he -must- live there. When Teela calls him Skeletor, he says 'not quite.' That's not 'no.' Scareglow's answer may imply that he was ONCE Skeletor, because otherwise that's a very odd way to answer her. Not saying that's the only reason he'd answer that way, but it makes sense.

Scareglow also says he was once a ruler. That doesn't fit the MOTUC backstory he was given, so we know this is a new backstory. Here's my question/theory that I think may be -possible-, even if it doesn't end up being true.

Is Scareglow the ghost of Skeletor from after he becomes Skelegod and is defeated? The realms of the afterlife may have very different rules of the flow of time. Scareglow is the ghost of Skeletor that hasn't even been created yet because he was always destined to lose and will always end up in Subternia? Something like that? Maybe it's a bit far fetched, but fun to think about, in my opinion.

And if Skeletor is destined to die as Skelegod (or after losing the power, whatever), does that mean that we're going to see a final betrayal of Skeletor by Evil-Lyn, who was herself VERY clear that she -SHOULD- have been a Master of the Universe rather than serving Skeletor for all those years? Does Skeletor's final defeat come at not the hands of He-Man, but Evil-Lyn, which will set her up as the future villain when/if the show continues into future seasons?

And did everyone catch the Faceless One reference? It wasn't subtle.
theflicker
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:28 am

KnightDamien wrote:
The Gill-Man wrote: Yeah, I thought it was incredibly obvious, even without
Spoiler! :

Yeah, it really does seem to keep coming back to 'have you ever consumed any kind of entertainment before?' I'm not downing Smith when I say this, but I don't think very much, or even anything, in MOTUR is breaking new ground. The SECOND they were like 'no, Roboto can reforge the sword!' for basically no reason when MAA offered to come along, I was like 'oh, it's going to kill him to do it, probably in a very Thor: Ragnarok kind of scene.' And ... yup.

On the subject of Roboto's death, I agree that he's the easiest and also hardest to bring back. Since he's created from MAA's memories and everything, but is essentially without.. a 'soul,' we might say, any Roboto they bring back wouldn't actually be Roboto. It would be a new Roboto. At least if it follows the typical sci-fi fantasy tropes that fleshies have souls and robots don't, even 'aware' ones.

That being said, I also agree that his Mass Effect 'does this unit have a soul?' death was too impactful to waste on bringing back a character that isn't absolutely critical to the ongoing story like He-Man or Skeletor. Orko's sacrifice was basically what I expected it to be right from the beginning of all the Orko controversy where everyone was like 'Smith CONFIRMED that he dies.' Bullshit. He never said those words and that definitely doesn't seem to be what happened. Sacrifice and loss aren't the same thing as permanent death in fantasy and I really don't get how so many people don't get that.
I'd also like to talk about Scareglow. Spoilers for Ep. 4, as well as speculative spoilers for the direction the show might take and blah blah. And maybe a bit of Evil-Lyn stuff.
Spoiler! :
The Scareglow question. Many of you probably know what that means; the old tag line that Scareglow is the 'ghost of Skeletor' and fans debating whether that meant he was literally Skeletor's actual ghost, or whether he was a ghost that served Skeletor. MOTUC answered this question with the latter and made him his own character.

He's a skull-headed dude that lives in Subternia, possibly because he -must- live there. When Teela calls him Skeletor, he says 'not quite.' That's not 'no.' Scareglow's answer may imply that he was ONCE Skeletor, because otherwise that's a very odd way to answer her. Not saying that's the only reason he'd answer that way, but it makes sense.

Scareglow also says he was once a ruler. That doesn't fit the MOTUC backstory he was given, so we know this is a new backstory. Here's my question/theory that I think may be -possible-, even if it doesn't end up being true.

Is Scareglow the ghost of Skeletor from after he becomes Skelegod and is defeated? The realms of the afterlife may have very different rules of the flow of time. Scareglow is the ghost of Skeletor that hasn't even been created yet because he was always destined to lose and will always end up in Subternia? Something like that? Maybe it's a bit far fetched, but fun to think about, in my opinion.

And if Skeletor is destined to die as Skelegod (or after losing the power, whatever), does that mean that we're going to see a final betrayal of Skeletor by Evil-Lyn, who was herself VERY clear that she -SHOULD- have been a Master of the Universe rather than serving Skeletor for all those years? Does Skeletor's final defeat come at not the hands of He-Man, but Evil-Lyn, which will set her up as the future villain when/if the show continues into future seasons?

And did everyone catch the Faceless One reference? It wasn't subtle.
Spoiler! :
Cue the angry fans pissed off that Skeletor was replaced by a girl . . . Image

Interesting theories and I could see all of them as possibilities.

The truncated runtime was a nitpick of mine as well. As a person who never watched the Filmation series or 200x, and really only knows the toys, I found stuff like Scareglow borderline incomprehensible. Like, for the uninitiated how are you not supposed to think he's just Skeletor (or "a" Skeletor, as it were)?
Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

yojoebro82
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:41 pm

I swear I've hit the "do not recommend" button on at least six youtube channels with talking heads whining about Kevin Smith "lying", but another keeps popping up to take its place. How many of these things are there and why does youtube really, really want me to watch them?
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:55 pm

yojoebro82 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:41 pm
I swear I've hit the "do not recommend" button on at least six youtube channels with talking heads whining about Kevin Smith "lying", but another keeps popping up to take its place. How many of these things are there and why does youtube really, really want me to watch them?
This brings me back to when I was first watching He-Man and got so sick of the commercials interrupting the damned show. As a five year old or what have you, I reasoned maybe if we just bought the products they'd go away. My mom blew it off as me just wanting some sugary cereals and she probably wasn't wrong...
chaosMonkeyPoo
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:28 pm

The Gill-Man wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:55 pm
KnightDamien wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:48 pm

Also.. are we all just going to pretend that (whole show spoiler):
Spoiler! :
Orko isn't coming back? I mentioned this before but even without Smith's recent comments, it's super obvious he's coming back to everyone else, right? They straight up pulled a Gandalf/Balrog here. Are we going to get 'Orko the White?' Like.. a super powerful version of Orko? That could be really cool or really stupid, depending on how they do it.
Yeah, I thought it was incredibly obvious, even without
Spoiler! :
Orko flat-out quoting Gandalf, the whole thing was pretty well telegraphed to anyone who has ever watched any kind of science fiction or fantasy. Again, all the overblown outrage leads me to wonder if these folks have ever watched a show or read a comic before! Same goes for the "deaths" of Adam/He-Man. The only demise I see definitely sticking, ironically enough, is Roboto (I say "Ironic", since an android would normally be the most obvious character to bring back. He might be "resurrected", but I doubt he'd have his memories or what-not. His death was such a powerful moment, and I don't see the writers undoing this just for the heck of it.
I'm going to have to agree with you guys there.
Spoiler! :
The deaths here are so unbelievably obvious "this guy is coming back" tropey deaths that I am baffled ANYONE would complain about these. It's all very much "have you people never seen a movie before" sorts of complains. He-Man is not dead. Orko is not dead. A version of Roboto will probably be rebuilt off a memory backup. Trap Jaw isn't dead. Blast Attack will probably be rebuilt.

'm absolutely certain we WILL probably get some legitimate deaths, but not until the last few episodes. If I had to guess it would probably be Sorceress after she finally tells Teela her "secret" so that she's set up to take on that role in the inevitable season 2. Especially after they've already talked about how "she looks old" and they constantly tease Teela's destiny/true parentage.
Samael13
is way smarter than you

Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:44 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:51 am
Spoiler! :

Yep yep yep. MotU is (and kind of always has been) a VERY trope-heavy franchise. I mean, half the characters are basically just personifications of tropes. It's a little shocking to me that there seem to be so many people who are apparently SO passionate about the franchise who seem to lack any genre awareness at all.
Spoiler! :
Especially given how quickly other "deaths" were immediately undone, there's zero chance, in my mind, that anyone but Roboto stays dead. Like, Trapjaw "died" from a saw blade to the face, and is back up on his feet in the next episode. Adam and Skeletor managed to stay dead for three whole episodes. Orko will be back, and goofy as ever.
Spoiler! :

Interesting take!
Spoiler! :
I'm not sure that's where the show is going, but that's now how I took his comment. Admittedly, I don't know anything about Scareglow's back story or history in the MotU canon (such as it is), but I took his comment more like "Not quite (I'm the OTHER skull headed dude)," in the same way that I feel like the X-Men comics have had someone come into a room expecting Wolverine and saying "blah blah blah, Wolverine?" and then Sabertooth steps out of the shadows "Not quite." Related characters, but different. I can't *swear* that's happened, but it feels like something that I've seen. Maybe not.

But I could also see it being his ghost from after his defeat as Skelegod. Time could definitely be different in the afterlife.

My biggest take-away from the Scare Glow scenes is that I really wish Tony Todd was the voice of Skeletor. No disrespect to Mark, but his Skeletor just sounded too close to Joker, to me, and Todd's voice is just so menacing. I'd have loved to hear him as the voice of Skeletor, all the way along.
Spoiler! :
Oh, I 100% expect that to happen.
Spoiler! :
I see it going one of two ways, but both involve betrayal. Either she betrays him to take the power herself and becomes the Big Bad, or she completes her heel-face turn, helping the heroes to take down Skeletor.

There are two other possibilities I could see: she betrays him, but does so in a way where she's still stuck with him and has to save face somehow; maybe spinning it as a necessary betrayal to save him from himself or from being destroyed by the power? Cue a long, lingering glance at the Masters as she eventually flees with Skeletor and crew, hinting at the possibility of redemption/mixed feelings.

Or, she sees that Skeletor has every intention of just stomping over her and leaving her behind, so she betrays him to prevent that, but sticks with him, because, as, well, she's still carrying that torch.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:11 am

yojoebro82 wrote: I swear I've hit the "do not recommend" button on at least six youtube channels with talking heads whining about Kevin Smith "lying", but another keeps popping up to take its place. How many of these things are there and why does youtube really, really want me to watch them?
I've had the same experience. It's the current nerd controversy guaranteed to get your channel views, so all of a sudden a bunch of YouTubers have LOTS of opinions on Herman and the Misters of the Ultraverse that they've definitely ALWAYS been huge fans of and that Kevin Smith DEFINITELY ruined and please watch my fifteen minute video sponsored by Raid Shadow Legends where I'll tell you why you should go on Fwoosh and argue about how bad this show is even though you don't care about it and won't ever watch it yourself.

I haven't seen this much concerted effort by useless drama-douches to stir up controversy and hate out of nowhere since 'Captain Marvel Ruined the MCU' and 'Why Disney will definitely never use Captain Marvel again.'

The worst part is knowing that so many people reacting to MOTUR are just like K up there earlier in this thread; people that don't even really care about the franchise and haven't even WATCHED the show. They're just regurgitating the drama they were fed because it serves whatever narrative they -want- to argue about. And the -amount- of people doing it is really staggering.

Spoiler! :
theflicker wrote: Cue the angry fans pissed off that Skeletor was replaced by a girl . . . Image
:lol: Yep. That would absolutely happen.

I can see the relatively short run-time being even more frustrating for people that weren't on board from the Filmation days and therefore have very little frame of reference for some of this stuff. I mean, I think Smith (with the time he was given) did a reasonable job of making the show approachable for new fans and kids, but there's also definitely stuff in there that's going to fly over the heads of anyone that hasn't been there since '83. Or at least hasn't gone back to watch all that stuff in the intervening years.

Ru_1977 wrote: My mom blew it off as me just wanting some sugary cereals and she probably wasn't wrong...
I still want sugary cereals and I will go to the store right now if you tell me there's MOTU-branded cereal there.

chaosMonkeyPoo wrote:I'm going to have to agree with you guys there.
Spoiler! :
Sorceress being the real, major death for this show is a distinct possibility. And there's definitely some foreshadowing there. The question is really going to be how much is Smith allowed (not willing; allowed) to muck around with the status quo. Is Mattel looking to tell stories about a MOTU world where Teela is the new Sorceress and not a front-line warrior? Is the intent here that Andra will replace Teela as a team member when Teela takes her place as the new Sorceress?
Some cool possibilities.

As for the deaths thing in general... I mean, I don't know. I'm torn between believing a lot of MOTU fans (and people that aren't fans who are just capitalizing on the drama, as I said above) are actually complete morons and believing that they're actually just opportunists pushing an agenda and don't actually believe anything they're spouting.
I just can't find it in myself to honestly believe that people that talk about pop culture regularly, for a living (in the case of some YouTubers) really don't see any of the giant trope-hammers smashing into their faces every episode. I don't believe these are things anyone with any kind of eye for entertainment could possibly miss unless they're missing them intentionally. I really do believe -most- (not all) of the negative bullshit is being put out there purely in bad faith and nothing else.
Samael13 wrote: It's a little shocking to me that there seem to be so many people who are apparently SO passionate about the franchise who seem to lack any genre awareness at all.
I could write a [email protected]#$ book about how much I don't understand my '80s and '90s brothers-in-'toons growing up with G.I. Joe and turning out to be full on fascist racists, growing up with He-Man and turning out homophobic, growing up watching X-Men and turning out to be bigots. So I don't know. Forget genre awareness. Sometimes I think the people that grew up as 'fans' of all these things never paid any attention to any of it to begin with. Then it's a lot easier to see how they missed the tropes. They missed -everything-.

Samael13 wrote:Interesting take!
Spoiler! :
Samael13 wrote: Related characters, but different. I can't *swear* that's happened, but it feels like something that I've seen. Maybe not.
I can't prove this, but I feel like this is basically how they introduced Dakken - by having him attack someone that was expecting a friendly Wolverine and got an unfriendly Fakeverine.

And yeah, I would definitely agree that Scareglow as future-defeated-Skeletor is super unlikely, but I dig the idea nonetheless and I think I'd be kind of delighted if they did go that direction.
Samael13 wrote: My biggest take-away from the Scare Glow scenes is that I really wish Tony Todd was the voice of Skeletor. No disrespect to Mark, but his Skeletor just sounded too close to Joker, to me, and Todd's voice is just so menacing. I'd have loved to hear him as the voice of Skeletor, all the way along.
Yeah. People complain about Geller as Teela, but my real beef is the absolute heretical statement that Hamill should not be Skeletor. I can tell that he's trying to make it a bit different from the Joker voice, but I don't think it's different enough considering how absolutely iconic that voice actually is. And I do find it a tiny bit distracting. Not as distracting as Mer-Man with a deep, growing Batman voice. But still distracting and arguably much more important. I'm torn, though, because Mark clearly put some chops into the role. He does a great job. But I can't, personally, get past that voice enough to -really- appreciate what he's doing as Skeletor.
Samael13 wrote:Oh, I 100% expect that to happen.
Spoiler! :
Yeah, I think I'm on board with your predictions there. Those seem the most likely options. Honestly, I hadn't considered Lyn betraying Skeletor and then still slinking off with him and playing off the betrayal but that might actually be the more likely course if Smith is uninterested in, or barred from, any dramatic changes to the franchise's base assumptions.
Obviously they want to do another season and may already be working on it - we got a spoiler I won't spoil for you if you haven't heard Smith's podcast. If that's the case, they may want to 'reset to zero' as closely as they can after this so Mattel can keep the story going in the 'traditional' way that they know will keep many of their fans happy - with Skeletor as the main bad guy. So yeah, that option may end up being the best guess of all.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:14 am

KnightDamien wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:11 am
I haven't seen this much concerted effort by useless drama-douches to stir up controversy and hate out of nowhere since 'Captain Marvel Ruined the MCU' and 'Why Disney will definitely never use Captain Marvel again.'
I had a sneak attack where I was watching a youtube video about rumors for upcoming star wars projects that took a sudden turn into "AND THIS IS WHY THEY'RE FIRING KATHY KENNEDY AND PUTTING STAR WARS BACK ON TRACK" etc. Yeesh!

I'm in no way a fan of the ST, but still.

I also STILL don't get the issue with Captain Marvel. But whatever, at least it's not like the Joker where nuts were shooting up theaters and such.
Maximoff
no more subnics

Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:26 pm

It’s always “social justice warriors ruining everything”. Can’t have a strong female lead without “pushing an agenda”. What agenda is that? That women exist? That not everything has to be about a white straight male? Boy if Adam isn’t gay in this, he is definitely metro as all get out.

As soon as I saw teela I had Last of Us 2 “controversy” flashbacks. Why isn’t this woman character thin and pretty and weak like I like my women. A woman with muscle somehow threatens masculinity.
MARVEL KNIGHT 2099
Such a cute little cheerleader

Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:20 pm

Was out at midtown comics with a friend who adores He-Man and we noticed the Revelation prequel comic on the rack and were talking about how overblown all the complaining is. What was funny was that another guy was approached by one of the staff that he knows and they also ended up talking about Revelation and despite the guy saying he didn't like it much, he couldn't give any reason for it outside of mentioning the typical stuff you see complained about in all these YT videos. The staff guy was like "Okay, you're telling me why OTHER people don't like it. I'm curious about why YOU don't like it, it can't be that hard to talk about."

Which is basically the "controversy" in a nutshell. Most people who say they don't like it probably don't even know why, they just don't like it because others say it's not good cause feminism-sjw-agenda-oscar-niner-roger-wilco.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:14 pm

Maximoff wrote:
It’s always “social justice warriors ruining everything”. Can’t have a strong female lead without “pushing an agenda”. What agenda is that? That women exist? That not everything has to be about a white straight male? Boy if Adam isn’t gay in this, he is definitely metro as all get out.
All great questions. I've never understood what they see as a compromise. Basically, simply having characters as prominent, let alone starring, is shoving it in faces/down throats. Then the whole "well, why is this person who isn't white/hetero/male the lead, are you saying something negative about white hetero males?" Which is a great question to ask as long as you flip it and realize the audience for this character has been asking the same thing for likely their entire life due to a lack of seeing a main character who looks/lives like them.

And I'm sorry, but every story has an agenda. It could be fluffy with little substance, the marshmallow movies, or it could be trying to provoke deep thought on a topic. Some agendas may provoke thoughts one doesn't want to consider, which I guess is why they need to be shoved down throats.
MARVEL KNIGHT 2099 wrote: Was out at midtown comics with a friend who adores He-Man and we noticed the Revelation prequel comic on the rack and were talking about how overblown all the complaining is. What was funny was that another guy was approached by one of the staff that he knows and they also ended up talking about Revelation and despite the guy saying he didn't like it much, he couldn't give any reason for it outside of mentioning the typical stuff you see complained about in all these YT videos. The staff guy was like "Okay, you're telling me why OTHER people don't like it. I'm curious about why YOU don't like it, it can't be that hard to talk about."

Which is basically the "controversy" in a nutshell. Most people who say they don't like it probably don't even know why, they just don't like it because others say it's not good cause feminism-sjw-agenda-oscar-niner-roger-wilco.
Brilliant, thank you for sharing this story. Wisdom from behind the counter once again.
Aleks
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:48 pm

Maximoff wrote:
As soon as I saw teela I had Last of Us 2 “controversy” flashbacks. Why isn’t this woman character thin and pretty and weak like I like my women. A woman with muscle somehow threatens masculinity.
Didn't people have a problem with Abby being unlikable character? That you HAVE TO play for another 10 hours and then beat the character from the first game with your own hands? That she is "too big" for post-apocalyptic measures? Because in a "realistic game it was stupid to have such an unrealistic shape"? So it's not just "reee muscle woman threatens men"? People have other problems with this game as well...but that's another story.

Enyway. Except for the "generic modern 2020 hairstyle" and Teela demeanor, I don't see anything wrong. She doesn't look like [email protected]#$ He-man ffs. But hey, this is the Internet and people will find a way making videos for absolutely any reason. Don't forget to put a photo of crying Kevin Smith in the thumbnail... then the views are guaranteed!
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:59 pm

Aleks wrote:
Don't forget to put a photo of crying Kevin Smith in the thumbnail... then the views are guaranteed!
Haw!!!!

I mean, if we're really gonna get into what's wrong with apocalyptic movies/stories/shows, what's with all the times people happen upon a car and it starts right up, even if it's been sitting there for years? I'm fine accepting characters may know how to jumpstart, and maybe the engine is tip top, but doesn't gasoline only have a few months of shelf life? Not like it ever gets in the way of me enjoying anything but still something I think about.
Aleks
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:20 pm

Ru_1977 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:59 pm
Aleks wrote:
Don't forget to put a photo of crying Kevin Smith in the thumbnail... then the views are guaranteed!
Haw!!!!

I mean, if we're really gonna get into what's wrong with apocalyptic movies/stories/shows, what's with all the times people happen upon a car and it starts right up, even if it's been sitting there for years? I'm fine accepting characters may know how to jumpstart, and maybe the engine is tip top, but doesn't gasoline only have a few months of shelf life? Not like it ever gets in the way of me enjoying anything but still something I think about.
Well, there is no such problem in modern Fallout games...Cars in this game just [email protected]#$ explode if you shoot at them. Because they are nuclear-powered...

At least this games are not trying to be realistic :lol:
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:56 pm

Right, it's got that going for it.

Return to “The Multiplex”