Dorkside Toys financial issues/future discussion

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Victor Stone73
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Dorkside Toys financial issues/future discussion

Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:36 am

Sad to hear about this. Only used them twice. For some Avengers figures and a Firestar. Had a lab coat Beast on pre-order with them.
puckace
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:04 am

This just really bums me out :(

Dorkside was my go to store for all things Marvel and Star Wars. I had nothing but great service over the years from them. I'm very sorry to see them go.

I feel bad for all the collectors that may be out $$$. I hope Dorkside is able to make it right with all of you.
I also hope that Eddie and the other employees are able to recover from this down the road.

This is a sad state of affairs for everyone involved....

The options for collecting are getting worse and worse every year.
jokerjester
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:09 am

Hello. How many days before they give you your money back when you request for a refund? I got an order that they cancelled because it turns out they cannot fulfill my order (ordered last September). I only checked last month about the status of my order (I live in the Philippines so I'm using a forwarder to have items delivered to my country).

So it's now marked as "Refunded" last Nov 26 but I haven't received my money yet.
slugzilla
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:26 am

TheeCollector wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:20 am
I really hope they fulfill my X-men pre-orders!!
Dorkside isn't getting in any new product. Especially not any Hasbro product. Cancel your orders and hope you can get a refund!
slugzilla
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:33 am

jokerjester wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:09 am
Hello. How many days before they give you your money back when you request for a refund? I got an order that they cancelled because it turns out they cannot fulfill my order (ordered last September). I only checked last month about the status of my order (I live in the Philippines so I'm using a forwarder to have items delivered to my country).

So it's now marked as "Refunded" last Nov 26 but I haven't received my money yet.
You need to get in contact with them asap. If they refunded your money on the 26th of November, you almost certainly should've received it by now. If they won't respond, contact your credit card company or PayPal, depending on how you paid and explain the situation.
slugzilla
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:37 am

Believe it or not, I was always a staunch defender of Dorkside back when they would post here, but this is looking more and more like Megalopolis as each day passes.
tetragene
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:02 pm

slugzilla wrote:
Believe it or not, I was always a staunch defender of Dorkside back when they would post here, but this is looking more and more like Megalopolis as each day passes.
careful now, that comparison gets some people real offended around here. It's been almost 2 weeks with no response to my e-mail inquiries about a refund & for some it's been even longer than that, but they've allegedly responded within a day or two to other e-mails -- this whole situation has soured me greatly on collecting/purchasing via "small" companies
hotep_nefti
Faster than a speeding bullet

Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:19 pm

tetragene wrote:
It's been almost 2 weeks with no response to my e-mail inquiries about a refund & for some it's been even longer than that, but they've allegedly responded within a day or two to other e-mails -- this whole situation has soured me greatly on collecting/purchasing via "small" companies

They responded to me within a day. That was last week. I had a loose RYV Spider-man & a 20th Toad on pre-order through PayPal. It had been more than 180 days, so the refund went poof! Alles Kaput! I just emailed them a spell that would turn their toes into cork.

c'est la vie
H-bird
hbwrdlngiv, after secondary mutation

Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:40 pm

fac wrote:It is tough to be patient, especially when people are rightly worried that they will be losing out on money they have there in preorders, but I don't think that companies trying to ghost everyone in order to rip them off announce they going out of business with a specified last date for orders - they just disappear and close up shop.
Quoted for truth. Dorkside built up a lot of goodwill here over the years. The fact that they aren’t communicating with every customer well while going out of business is unfortunate but totally explainable, and it will be a while before the dust settles and we know if they do or do not make everyone whole.
slugzilla
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:46 pm

tetragene wrote:
slugzilla wrote:
careful now, that comparison gets some people real offended around here. It's been almost 2 weeks with no response to my e-mail inquiries about a refund & for some it's been even longer than that, but they've allegedly responded within a day or two to other e-mails -- this whole situation has soured me greatly on collecting/purchasing via "small" companies
Honestly I don't really give a you know what if I offend people by making legitimate comparisons between two companies.

I truly hope that Eddie Campbell and Dorkside are going to do right by everyone, but I've got a bad feeling about it at this point.

Unfortunately I feel like with every passing day that goes by without a public statement from Dorkside (who might I add, still has an account on this forum), or even a mass email sent out to their customers, assuring them that they WILL absolutely be getting their refunds at some point, this whole situation is looking more and more like Megalopolis.

Are we supposed to believe that Dorkside is incapable of putting a simple message out on Twitter, sending a mass email, or even just posting on here?

What Dorkside should be doing is showing some transparency regarding what is going on, but instead, they've chosen to make the situation worse by not communicating with anyone, infact going out of their way to be less transparent by locking down their social media accounts.

They're acting like they have something to hide at this point, and I am beginning to think they do. Prove me wrong Dorkside. Please.
Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:49 pm

To be fair, we don't know the whole story. For all we know, the worst could've happened and, I'm not saying it has, but Eddie could be beyond the rainbow bridge and now his estate is just liquidating. It kind of went from "Hasbro sucks, but we're doing bigger and better things" a couple months ago, to almost nothing. Hasbro could've possibly screwed them over somehow, hence why they were still taking preorders on McFarlane and other company figures until recently. They even have the latest playmates offerings, which weren't released all that long ago. It seems like the Hasbro stuff went first, just stopped going up for preorder, then the whole ceiling came crashing down very quickly after. I'm sure Eddie isn't all that dead, but I'm going to guess something happened, and maybe he wishes he was at this point. He was really excited for everything going on, and then it was just radio silence. So I do wish him the best.

Personally, I have $90 still invested in Star Wars figures I just never had them ship out, waiting for the number to break $100 cause that seemed to be the free shipping threshold. I emailed them about either shipping my figures or getting a refund. Haven't heard back yet, but as has been said, they probably are even more short staffed then they were before this. Who knows who is actually running their CS department anymore, or how many employees they actually have. I don't really expect to get the figures, but I have hope that we will all at least be getting our refunds at some point. Mine were all paid with a CC, cause I never use PayPal for preorders since they take the money right away. If I get screwed, I get screwed. Not much I can do about it at this point. It does really suck though, cause the way this goes down could really tarnish a fairly decent reputation. Until now, I've never had an issue with them. Their CS always replied to me quickly, and was always helpful. I just hope it gets sorted, in case he wants to eventually try a stab at this business again. But with all that's going on, I doubt he will.

I am honestly more curious then anything. And you'd think mad would be an emotion in there, because money, but as of now it's not. I wanna know what happened. Why it happened. And what may happen next. For stuff going on sale, I'm sure Amazon will always be good at getting discounts on most things, and anything I don't wanna miss I'll just go to BBTS or Gamestop to preorder now. I think sad is another emotion in there. I always liked DS, and I'm gonna miss them.

Now to be fair, this is just a cherry on top of a shitty cake that was this last month. From a couple of my childhood heroes dying, to family members dying of covid, to myself actually contracting the ****ing disease myself, this just doesn't feel important right now I suppose. Maybe it'll hit me when I stop being numb from all the other shit. 1st world problems amiright?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

canprime
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:14 pm

slugzilla wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:46 pm
tetragene wrote:
slugzilla wrote:
Honestly I don't really give a you know what if I offend people by making legitimate comparisons between two companies.

I truly hope that Eddie Campbell and Dorkside are going to do right by everyone, but I've got a bad feeling about it at this point.

Unfortunately I feel like with every passing day that goes by without a public statement from Dorkside (who might I add, still has an account on this forum), or even a mass email sent out to their customers, assuring them that they WILL absolutely be getting their refunds at some point, this whole situation is looking more and more like Megalopolis.

Are we supposed to believe that Dorkside is incapable of putting a simple message out on Twitter, sending a mass email, or even just posting on here?

What Dorkside should be doing is showing some transparency regarding what is going on, but instead, they've chosen to make the situation worse by not communicating with anyone, infact going out of their way to be less transparent by locking down their social media accounts.

They're acting like they have something to hide at this point, and I am beginning to think they do. Prove me wrong Dorkside. Please.
Up here (Canada) a new retailer just went through the same thing (Outrun Collectibles). They were apparently having trouble (financial, health), but made it seem like things were still operating and then WHAM, they are closing up shop. They basically strung people along for a bit and then it became clear customers were not going to be made whole. The smart/lucky ones got on their CC and Paypal accounts quickly and filed claims. Some were lucky to get their money back, others not so much.

Seems like this is the same kind of situation with Dorkside. Get on your payment companies if you are waiting and see what can be done. Don't wait on Dorkside because there is a high likelihood that if you aren't getting a response/refund now you'll be up "you-know-what" creek without a paddle.

Also just a reminder that no matter what kind of relationship you have with a retailer/business, bankruptcy (or the possibility) makes those relationships meaningless. The business is in damage control mode and trying to either save itself, or not leave themselves open to responsibility after the fact. Most likely they'll close up shop, but don't forget some bankruptcies are more about restructuring and that leaves creditors (especially customers with preorders) out in the cold. Everything pretty much reverts to zero and they go on their way.

So yeah don't expect communication because that isn't going to be a priority over whatever they are doing to survive, or close. And of course they are hiding stuff because it is most likely the end and they aren't going to make statements to that effect while trying to get their ducks in a row, otherwise they'll get a run by customers that will make it worse. That is the sad reality of most corporate/business bankruptcies, they are thinking about themselves not the customers.
slugzilla
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:26 pm

Trunks3540 wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:49 pm
To be fair, we don't know the whole story. For all we know, the worst could've happened and, I'm not saying it has, but Eddie could be beyond the rainbow bridge and now his estate is just liquidating. It kind of went from "Hasbro sucks, but we're doing bigger and better things" a couple months ago, to almost nothing. Hasbro could've possibly screwed them over somehow, hence why they were still taking preorders on McFarlane and other company figures until recently. They even have the latest playmates offerings, which weren't released all that long ago. It seems like the Hasbro stuff went first, just stopped going up for preorder, then the whole ceiling came crashing down very quickly after. I'm sure Eddie isn't all that dead, but I'm going to guess something happened, and maybe he wishes he was at this point. He was really excited for everything going on, and then it was just radio silence. So I do wish him the best.

Personally, I have $90 still invested in Star Wars figures I just never had them ship out, waiting for the number to break $100 cause that seemed to be the free shipping threshold. I emailed them about either shipping my figures or getting a refund. Haven't heard back yet, but as has been said, they probably are even more short staffed then they were before this. Who knows who is actually running their CS department anymore, or how many employees they actually have. I don't really expect to get the figures, but I have hope that we will all at least be getting our refunds at some point. Mine were all paid with a CC, cause I never use PayPal for preorders since they take the money right away. If I get screwed, I get screwed. Not much I can do about it at this point. It does really suck though, cause the way this goes down could really tarnish a fairly decent reputation. Until now, I've never had an issue with them. Their CS always replied to me quickly, and was always helpful. I just hope it gets sorted, in case he wants to eventually try a stab at this business again. But with all that's going on, I doubt he will.

I am honestly more curious then anything. And you'd think mad would be an emotion in there, because money, but as of now it's not. I wanna know what happened. Why it happened. And what may happen next. For stuff going on sale, I'm sure Amazon will always be good at getting discounts on most things, and anything I don't wanna miss I'll just go to BBTS or Gamestop to preorder now. I think sad is another emotion in there. I always liked DS, and I'm gonna miss them.

Now to be fair, this is just a cherry on top of a shitty cake that was this last month. From a couple of my childhood heroes dying, to family members dying of covid, to myself actually contracting the ****ing disease myself, this just doesn't feel important right now I suppose. Maybe it'll hit me when I stop being numb from all the other shit. 1st world problems amiright?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
I really want to know what happened too. And I never had a problem with them either. Back when Dorkside was posting here, I always jumped to their defense, and I often thought people would go to far in their criticism of Dorkside, so I completely understood when they stopped posting here.

Idk why exactly (perhaps do to having lost a couple thousand long ago when a different E-tailer went under) but I feel strangely over protective of everyone who's having these issues with Dorkside right now. It's weird.

I'm so sorry to hear about the losses in your family btw. It's just such a terrible situation, what's going on in the the world right now. Absolutely heart breaking. My condolences friend.
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:32 pm

Related to their showroom--back when he mentioned it here I vaguely recall him saying something about he had rented a new warehouse and it had more room than he needed so he decided to make part of it a showroom. Hard to say he overspent without knowing specifics, particularly since he's in Tennessee in an area where prices on real estate are pretty low compared to more populated areas.

Whatever happened must have happened in mid-2022 since he was posting here about spending money to expand the business earlier this year. If it's because of that Major Bludd thing at all then that sure sucks. :shock:
DaveB
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:42 pm

Received my order of the four Super7 2001 figures yesterday. Nothing missing; nothing wrong.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”