Dorkside Toys financial issues/future discussion

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Boggsy1982
Avengers Assemble
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Dorkside Toys financial issues/future discussion

Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:18 pm

tetragene wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:39 pm
Boggsy1982 already addressed it -- if they reapplied it as a credit it would be at a loss to BBTS.
Boggsy1982 wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:45 pm
You do realize that BBTS has to follow the same guidelines with Mezco as everyone else correct? Mezco requires the NRD....BBTS still has to pay that, same as you or I when they place their order with them. They don't get special treatment because they're a retailer. It really is a NRD for a reason, specifically for situations as you described.
this BBTS NRD scenario is a *lot* different than what it going on with Dorkside not refunding money they got in full from customers that haven't delivered product on (& likely never will).
Oh, I agree...different scenario. What Dorkside is doing is most definitely not best practice, but if they truly are shutting their doors, I feel bad for anyone who didn't take action quick enough for money they may have lost. Once I noticed they weren't listing new product, that pre-orders started disappearing from the site, I reached out and canceled what I had pre-ordered because it no longer showed on the site and one pre-order had a piece I already paid for. They were not rude in response to my requests and have since shipped my paid for product.
Shoretrooper69
Super Poseable

Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:23 pm

CTVampSlayer wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:04 pm
Can we establish a Quiet Council to request people be banned

Banned is so last season. Now people get the Bratzhammer.

renfield75
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:29 pm

Ummmm, anyway.....

So for those of us who had PayPal pre-orders that are gone now, and don't have anything to spend store credit on, it looks like Dorkside has another option. My most recent purchase from them a few months ago was made with my current debit/credit card. They said they could refund my canceled pre-orders through that order, on that card, if I preferred it to store credit. The action hasn't been completed yet but I'm glad they offered it as an alternative. We'll see how it goes.
AddictBraids
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:31 pm

So I pay a NRD on pre order. Later I decide I don't want the pre order, so I cancel the pre order, and the company keeps my NRD. Where does that NRD go? The company is absolutely still going to sell my "pre order" copy for the same price to the next person right? Whether it's a pre order or its sold when it's in stock, the company isn't going to sell it for cheaper because it was a canceled NRD copy right? Basically, for this specific scenario, the pre order was for a $420 item, which made the NRD $42 I believe. That $42 NRD payment would have made the figure $378. So when I canceled the pre order and they kept my $42 from the NRD, where does the $42 go? They still are going to sell my copy to the next guy for the full $420 correct? If they were going to put my canceled NRD version up for sale for $42 less, I'd be cool with that, because at least my $42 is helping someone out. But I don't believe that is the case...I believe the company just gets to pocket the NRD as overhead, and still turn around and sell my copy I had pre ordered for the full $420... its seems shady to not at least offer store credit as an alternative, because I essentially look at it like I just gave BBTS $42 for existing. I got absolutely nothing for $42, and they are still going to sell that canceled pre order, and for full price, I guarantee it. NRDs are bogus.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:32 pm

renfield75 wrote: Ummmm, anyway.....

So for those of us who had PayPal pre-orders that are gone now, and don't have anything to spend store credit on, it looks like Dorkside has another option. My most recent purchase from them a few months ago was made with my current debit/credit card. They said they could refund my canceled pre-orders through that order, on that card, if I preferred it to store credit. The action hasn't been completed yet but I'm glad they offered it as an alternative. We'll see how it goes.
Yeah that's actually a decent solution. At least they're trying
tetragene
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:34 pm

Boggsy1982 wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:18 pm
Oh, I agree...different scenario. What Dorkside is doing is most definitely not best practice, but if they truly are shutting their doors, I feel bad for anyone who didn't take action quick enough for money they may have lost. Once I noticed they weren't listing new product, that pre-orders started disappearing from the site, I reached out and canceled what I had pre-ordered because it no longer showed on the site and one pre-order had a piece I already paid for. They were not rude in response to my requests and have since shipped my paid for product.
oh yeah, just to be clear my last paragraph was toward AddictBraids about how the BBTS thing isn't similar to Dorkside. I quoted you for my response in the first paragraph (about the NRD explanation), but the way its formatted looks like I'm responding to you -- my bad. I'm still awaiting a response from Dorkside on my pre-orders paid via PayPal ages ago to find out if there is any news (i.e. should I expect fulfillment) -- one was for Super7 Lady Jaye & the other was a MG Scarlet Witch statue... so I'm not very hopeful
ffoeg731
Customized

Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:36 pm

Captain Batman wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:41 pm
note store credit, but put your credit card info in first... has potential forall the possibilities to not end well.
From what I've calculated, I have about $550 in "store" credit that hasn't been confirmed by Dorkside. I'm kind of numb at the moment at the thought of potentially losing that money, so putting down my credit card information doesn't sit well with me either.
AddictBraids
Runs Around in Tights

How that relates to all this, was I originally was trying to illustrate how dumb it is to be "loyal" to a certain "company". I've seen several people in this thread, try to shill for Dorkside's business failure.... Why? The only thing Dorkside cares about is getting money from you, period. That goes for 99% of businesses.
Blackestday
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:40 pm

Boggsy1982 wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:45 pm
AddictBraids wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:31 pm
I have no shame whatsoever canceling pre orders anywhere. Although I will admit, I've never placed pre orders for the same item at multiple e tailers, with plans to cancel based on who gets it in stock first. That seems like to much to keep track of. I used to preorder almost everything through BBTS, but I had a bad experience with them and since then, I rarely ever pre order from them. I had given BBTS thousands of dollars worth of business, and I had pre ordered the Mezco Fantistic Four set through them. The pre order had a $40ish dollar NRD on it. A few months go by and I had stopped collecting Mezco all together and sold all my mezco stuff (Moved from Mezco to Mafex), so I was no longer interested in anything Mezco, especially a $400+ set. So I called them to see if they could cancel my preorder for the FF set and move the NRD to store credit. I get it, it's a NRD so I can't get a true refund for it back to my credit card, but at the time I had like 20ish preorders for other items through them so I figured why couldn't they just give me store credit... I spoke to probably 4 different people moving higher and higher up the food chain and they refused to budge and issue store credit for my NRD. I know theres gonna be some people who are like, "well you placed the order, you knew there was a NRD so tough nuts"... I don't care, I understand I can't get my money back with a NRD, but I can't even get store credit??? BBTS would still have gotten my $40, I just would have spent it on something else instead of literally flushing $40 down the toilet. I had spent thousands at BBTS, and now I spend pretty much nothing there unless it's a worst case scenario. And I guarantee you DS, EE and any of these other etailers would do the same thing BBTS did. These stores don't care about you. They just want your money. So honestly, I couldn't care less if DS goes out of business...I order everything from overseas now...its cheaper and I get it quicker... most of these etailers over charge anyway...
No offense, but this sounds completely entitled. You do realize that BBTS has to follow the same guidelines with Mezco as everyone else correct? Mezco requires the NRD....BBTS still has to pay that, same as you or I when they place their order with them. They don't get special treatment because they're a retailer. It really is a NRD for a reason, specifically for situations as you described.
mezco doesn't require a NRD on wholesale orders. they tried it once years ago and at the time no big deal because product would release in a timely way back then. it was less to pay later when they shipped. there must have been some backlash because it hasn't been required since.
i'm guessing bbts went with the plan due to high cancelation numbers because they are always weeks behind small retailers getting cases in.
tetragene
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:51 pm

AddictBraids wrote:
How that relates to all this, was I originally was trying to illustrate how dumb it is to be "loyal" to a certain "company". I've seen several people in this thread, try to shill for Dorkside's business failure.... Why? The only thing Dorkside cares about is getting money from you, period. That goes for 99% of businesses.
well, on that I can agree with you, AddictBraids. Dorkside is a business & I feel like they've been afforded a lot of grace & understanding by people (that hasn't necessarily been granted to other businesses) for posting here, but friendliness from a business ≠ a friend. And I say that as someone who never had issues with them until this fiasco now
Nik
CROM!

Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:51 pm

AddictBraids wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:31 pm
So I pay a NRD on pre order. Later I decide I don't want the pre order, so I cancel the pre order, and the company keeps my NRD. Where does that NRD go? The company is absolutely still going to sell my "pre order" copy for the same price to the next person right? Whether it's a pre order or its sold when it's in stock, the company isn't going to sell it for cheaper because it was a canceled NRD copy right? Basically, for this specific scenario, the pre order was for a $420 item, which made the NRD $42 I believe. That $42 NRD payment would have made the figure $378. So when I canceled the pre order and they kept my $42 from the NRD, where does the $42 go? They still are going to sell my copy to the next guy for the full $420 correct? If they were going to put my canceled NRD version up for sale for $42 less, I'd be cool with that, because at least my $42 is helping someone out. But I don't believe that is the case...I believe the company just gets to pocket the NRD as overhead, and still turn around and sell my copy I had pre ordered for the full $420... its seems shady to not at least offer store credit as an alternative, because I essentially look at it like I just gave BBTS $42 for existing. I got absolutely nothing for $42, and they are still going to sell that canceled pre order, and for full price, I guarantee it. NRDs are bogus.
The point of the NRD is that they may not be able to sell that item after you cancelled, but they are still on the hook for it. A lot of pre-orders are used to gauge how many people are interested and thus how many units should be produced. The NRD ensures that people will think twice about ordering and cancelling that product willy-nilly. You better be sure you want it, because it's probably something more expensive or obscure than the kinds of things they can easily sell to your average collector. So there is no guarantee that they will be able to sell whatever you cancelled your order for, and the NRD is just a way to at least recoup some of the loss they would incur from someone's poor decision making or flakiness.
MarvelLegendsMan
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:56 pm

featofstrength wrote:[email protected] (Dorksidetoys)
Dec 1, 2022, 10:01 CST

You can place a new order with a note regarding your credit. You will make a note of this credit on the order, the shippers will check the account credit, and you will receive the item at no charge. You can hold the order with a credit card as we are not accepting PayPal. You will not be charged when the order is placed. We again apologize and hope you are able to use the credit to find some items to fill your collection or surprise someone at Christmas, possibly even to resale for a profit at these super low prices.
Was this a response to a help ticket you placed? When did you place your ticket?

I'm nearly 4 days waiting for a response.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:58 pm

AddictBraids wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:32 pm
LFor all of you saying I'm "entitled" for thinking I should be able to get store credit for a canceled NRD, explain to me why BBTS or ANY etailer couldn't offer store credit for a canceled NRD? They are still keeping my money.
I like how multiple people explained exactly how it's different - but you ignored that to continue to act all indignant.
What's so wrong with thinking I should be able to get store credit? If I cancel a pre order that had a NRD, where does my NRD go?
It goes to the company that produced the item based on advance order numbers so they aren't left holding the bag on a bunch of extra, expensive sets that people changed their mind about. Maybe Mezco and BBTS are able to sell that extra set you committed to and then dropped, but maybe they aren't, or maybe they have to sell it at a loss.
Is it fair that a company just gets to take my money and give me nothing in return?
It IS fair when the company tells you up front that the deposit is NON-REFUNDABLE at the time the order is placed. They didn't trick you into giving them your money. They told you exactly what would happen if you changed your mind. You ordered anyway, and then changed your mind. Why do you feel like you shouldn't have to comply with the terms of the deal you agreed to?

It's not like the product I canceled the preorder on just bursts into flames the second I cancel my pre order so it's unsellable now.
Perhaps but honestly how big a market do you think there is actually for a $400 set of 6 inch action figures? How hot a commodity is that really? It's likely they will have a hard time moving the extra set so at a minimum it takes up warehouse space while they look for a buyer - and there is a chance they have to mark the set down to move it given the high price tag.

The idea that you agreed to the terms of the deal up front and are now incensed that the vendor would actually hold you to those agreed upon terms is mind boggling. That's why people are calling you entitled. You knew the deal going in, agreed to it and paid your up front money. Why you would be incensed that they meant what they said is honestly baffling.

I've backed out of a couple of items with NRD's in my time - there's a giant deluxe Godzilla that looked delicious - but after I signed up and paid my deposit, I realized I just didn't have the display space and changed my mind. I knew I threw away the deposit money, but it felt better than Spending the full amount and not wanting it. It's not ideal, but that was on me. I certainly didn't expect the company to give me something else for my money.
mrboshek
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:11 pm

BBTS didn't always have an NRD on Mezco. I wouldn't be surprised if, at least part of the reason, was in response to Amazon discounting one:12 so heavily. Cancel on BBTS, then buy on Amazon. Now Amazon doesn't sell them directly. Entertainment Earth and Dorks don't have NRDs last time I looked. I have a few Mezcos, Hot Toys, a 3P Transformer, and an MP Transformer with BBTS. Once I put that money down, I didn't expect to get it back because it says it right in the title.
CTVampSlayer
X-23 gots a boyfriend

Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:12 pm

There is no reasoning with Karens

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”