HasLabs (crowdfunding) for individual normal sized figures

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
User avatar
Bleuboia
Avengers Assemble
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 427
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:53 pm

HasLabs (crowdfunding) for individual normal sized figures

Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:01 am

I saw the interview with Dan talking about the limits and restrictions (without getting into details) about releasing some figures, and he implied that the HasLab was the only way these figures could see the light of day. We don't know why or anything else.

Should Hasbro start crowdfunding for individual figures or box sets? Especially ones that are apparently too much to sell anywhere else.

It just guarantees they sell every unit and makes it exclusive to their website, cutting out the middle man. It could coincide with their new "50%" plan.
PG-Superfan
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1423
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 7:23 am

Re: HasLabs (crowdfunding) for individual normal sized figures

Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:28 am

If Mephisto and Madelyne Pryor are any indicator, I wouldn't bother.

First, they failed to increase interest in the Engine of Vengeance in big numbers so I'm not sure the demand is there.

Second, they compromised on Madelyne quite heavily, using an obscure modern costume for modesty when she's gone back to her original Goblin Queen costume in the comics since then. The proposed costume for her is more modest than what Angela wore a couple of years ago at retail.

Both are major characters in the comics and I'm convinced Mephisto will be a major character in the MCU, regardless of whatever handwaving they have to do to assure people he isn't Satan.

In the comics:

Mephisto is the main villain of the current Avengers run.

Goblin Queen (in a more modest costume than her classic one but no more modest than her Haslab form) is the main villain along with Chasm of the "Dark Web" Spider-Man/X-Men crossover. Chasm is getting a figure.

In the video games:

Mephisto is a playable character in Contest of Champions.

In the MCU:

Moon Knight flirted with psychological suspense. What If...?, Multiverse of Madness, and Werewolf by Night deal with horror. We've gotten zombie figures. Blade and the Midnight Suns are in development. Mephisto is the next logical step.

Dr. Doom is getting introduced. Mephisto is a big antagonist of his classically.

People predicted Mephisto in the Disney+ series and Spider-Man No Way Home so much it became a meme that high ups at Disney noticed.

Mephisto is coming to the MCU and Disney will want a figure. And when they do, we'll get a comics version.

If McFarlane can sell the Violator demon at Target and Amazon and NECA can sell Disney's demonic looking Gargoyles everywhere (including "Demona") and sinister/demonic looking characters like D&D's Venger can sell at Target then I think Mephisto can sell at retail. He's a big red elf. Leave his name off the box if necessary. Hasbro has done that before in Legends.
User avatar
Bleuboia
Avengers Assemble
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 427
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:53 pm

Re: HasLabs (crowdfunding) for individual normal sized figures

Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:35 am

The problem with the current HasLab is that it should sell on its own. All of the tiers from the other HasLabs were extra fat that were never on anyone's list. Except for Nova. This one is relying 90% on single individual figures.

So they should just do the crowdfunding for individual figures.
PG-Superfan
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1423
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 7:23 am

Re: HasLabs (crowdfunding) for individual normal sized figures

Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:39 am

Bleuboia wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:35 am
The problem with the current HasLab is that it should sell on its own. All of the tiers from the other HasLabs were extra fat that were never on anyone's list. Except for Nova. This one is relying 90% on single individual figures.

So they should just do the crowdfunding for individual figures.
If they want to sell a wave of difficult characters, made to order, that's fine by me.

I still think Mephisto will be in Walmart when he comes to the MCU.
User avatar
WTHIOTina
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1530
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:43 pm

Re: HasLabs (crowdfunding) for individual normal sized figures

Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:15 pm

If this is how we get The Imperial Guard then I'm all for it!
User avatar
MarvelLegendsMan
CROM!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 995
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:02 am

Re: HasLabs (crowdfunding) for individual normal sized figures

Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:35 pm

Bleuboia wrote:The problem with the current HasLab is that it should sell on its own. All of the tiers from the other HasLabs were extra fat that were never on anyone's list. Except for Nova. This one is relying 90% on single individual figures.

So they should just do the crowdfunding for individual figures.
This current HasLab may not sell on its own because it's over-priced, not enough people care about Robbie Reyes, or a combination of the two.

Hasbro is a multi-billion dollar corporation. The last thing we need is for them to do even more crowdfunding for the products we want.

Crowdfunding is for small businesses or artist creators. By design, they need that kind of assistance.

Hasbro doesn't need that help. They don't need us to assume all the risk while they sit on our money. It's bad enough most products in this hobby are already purchased via pre-order, where you give companies or retailers your money and then wait to get the product in-hand.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

User avatar
Bleuboia
Avengers Assemble
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 427
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:53 pm

Re: HasLabs (crowdfunding) for individual normal sized figures

Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:51 pm

MarvelLegendsMan wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:35 pm
Bleuboia wrote:The problem with the current HasLab is that it should sell on its own. All of the tiers from the other HasLabs were extra fat that were never on anyone's list. Except for Nova. This one is relying 90% on single individual figures.

So they should just do the crowdfunding for individual figures.
This current HasLab may not sell on its own because it's over-priced, not enough people care about Robbie Reyes, or a combination of the two.

Hasbro is a multi-billion dollar corporation. The last thing we need is for them to do even more crowdfunding for the products we want.

Crowdfunding is for small businesses or artist creators. By design, they need that kind of assistance.

Hasbro doesn't need that help. They don't need us to assume all the risk while they sit on our money. It's bad enough most products in this hobby are already purchased via pre-order, where you give companies or retailers your money and then wait to get the product in-hand.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
I agree. Crowdfunding has a very specific purpose, but big companies have adopted this strategy to become even bigger companies. Hasbro has already done 14 crowdfunding campaigns (including the ones active), so they are going to continue to do so.

The new initiative they posted about them making 50% more in profit in 3 years time makes me assume they'll try new ways of cutting costs with guaranteed full price sales. So instead of releasing figures that don't sell and go on clearance, they'll probably want guaranteed sales like they are getting with HasLabs. 50% is a huge number especially with inflation. Inflation that some companies are using as an excuse to increase their prices mind you.

Anyway, they make more money by not taking risks and selling directly to the consumer like they are doing with HasbroPulse, i.e. HasLabs. So I don't think them doing these types of figures as crowdfundings is farfetched.
User avatar
greensborohill
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 635
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 7:13 pm

Re: HasLabs (crowdfunding) for individual normal sized figures

Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:58 pm

If I were them I'd try to crowd fund the Serpent Society.
PG-Superfan
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1423
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 7:23 am

Re: HasLabs (crowdfunding) for individual normal sized figures

Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:04 pm

Let's talk for a second about what they "can't do" at retail.

Image

This is Demona from Disney's Gargoyles. She was made in 2022 under license from Disney. She's from a kid-oriented cartoon violence Disney franchise. She's sold at big box retailers like Walmart and Target, within $10 in price of a comparably sized Hasbro figure.

She looks more demonic than Mephisto. "Demon" is in her name.

She's wearing less than the Haslab version of Goblin Queen. She even has visible under-cleavage.

Tell me again what Hasbro can't do at retail.
User avatar
Thor-El
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Tyrone, PA
Posts: 2005
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:44 pm

Re: HasLabs (crowdfunding) for individual normal sized figures

Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:21 pm

WTHIOTina wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:15 pm
If this is how we get The Imperial Guard then I'm all for it!
Testify. Though the rumor that Fang will be included in an upcoming wave (with alternate unmasked Wolverine head pack-in, I guarantee) gives me hope that the (agonizingly slow) process of building the Guard through retail could happen.
greensborohill wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:58 pm
If I were them I'd try to crowd fund the Serpent Society.
Also yes. This is another team I'm really anxious to finish building.
thekunk2075
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1445
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:25 pm

Re: HasLabs (crowdfunding) for individual normal sized figures

Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:30 pm

Next Haslab should just be a big Doom head. 20k guaranteed
e-rock
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 3734
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:47 pm

Re: HasLabs (crowdfunding) for individual normal sized figures

Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:32 pm

I think 1 issue you may see with a Haslab 5 Pack would be the cost. These are now like 150 or more as is on much larger production runs. So, if you do like a Serpent Society 5 Pack that maybe 8000 people buy, you prob are looking to pay $200 bucks. Maybe more. You think the sticker shock on the Hellcharger was bad? I think seeing a 5 pack over 200 bucks would have same complaints. So I think that would be the biggest hurdle of this model.

But conceptually sure I support the idea. I would love to see various rare comic teams get done for people as well as us MCU Folk maybe getting a Kree Starforce 5 Pack or something that can get us unmade characters that may not sell all that well (Kree Starforce was first idea that came to mind as a MCU team I could see falling into this).
User avatar
kantboy2
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 4713
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:04 am

Re: HasLabs (crowdfunding) for individual normal sized figures

Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:51 pm

The biggest toy company in the world with the most popular license of the last 10 years (Marvel) can't pay for items itself? :rolleyes:

https://www.yahoo.com/now/hasbro-announ ... XoHtYQhOgT


They see all the whales in the water and can't wait to get all that blubber! :drool: Hearts and minds and the plastic dopamine fix. :lol:
Hbhf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 5590
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:46 pm

Re: HasLabs (crowdfunding) for individual normal sized figures

Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:28 pm

Can't say I'd be interested. The idea of made-to-order figures based on more obscure characters that probably aren't gonna be big retail movers is interesting, but I honestly can't think of any I'd want that would require such a treatment. Even Cameron Hodge, someone they'd cited in the past, I think could be done as a deluxe release.
PG-Superfan
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1423
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 7:23 am

Re: HasLabs (crowdfunding) for individual normal sized figures

Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:44 pm

Hbhf wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:28 pm
Can't say I'd be interested. The idea of made-to-order figures based on more obscure characters that probably aren't gonna be big retail movers is interesting, but I honestly can't think of any I'd want that would require such a treatment. Even Cameron Hodge, someone they'd cited in the past, I think could be done as a deluxe release.
They did Razorback, The Human Fly, Satana, Spymaster, Death's Head II, Sleepwalker, The Controller, Brother Voodoo, and The White Rabbit. I don't think obscurity has held any character back.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”