Spider-Man: The Animated Series

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Spider-Man: The Animated Series

Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:50 pm

Aleks wrote:If I remember correctly, Dan Yun in interview with Dan Who said that not all figures will have cel-shading, only those that "make sense".

https://youtu.be/zPODOIWiVi8?t=544
In an odd way that is a workable approach. I mean this was a show that would over rely on reused animation, would suddenly dip in and out of 3D backgrounds and had a much lower resolution and budget to the X-Men animated series. So if there ever was a toyline whose premise wanted to be a carbon copy of the show it was based on, this would be the way to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JRoug
Avengers Assemble

Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:43 pm

Here's a question: did anyone playing with the old ToyBiz figures from the 90s - EVER - even think for a second "this figure needs cel shading to match the cartoon"?

I get that it's another way to sell us redecos, but aside from being completely unworkable in 3D, it makes for wonky-looking figures. I'm at least 75% more likely to buy a VHS box or carded animated series figure wthout cel shading.
panther10

Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:03 pm

JRoug wrote:Here's a question: did anyone playing with the old ToyBiz figures from the 90s - EVER - even think for a second "this figure needs cel shading to match the cartoon"?

I get that it's another way to sell us redecos, but aside from being completely unworkable in 3D, it makes for wonky-looking figures. I'm at least 75% more likely to buy a VHS box or carded animated series figure wthout cel shading.
In my defense I was like 10 years old when that show came on the air and I didn’t have that much of a discerning eye for that sort of thing when I was a kid. I thought daredevil’s costume was baby blue for an entire year because one time I confused him for Black Panther. Cel shading was way beyond my pay grade until DC Direct came along

Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:29 am

JRoug wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:43 pm
Here's a question: did anyone playing with the old ToyBiz figures from the 90s - EVER - even think for a second "this figure needs cel shading to match the cartoon"?

Not exactly, but I certainly looked at them and said “this doesn’t look like the character on TV.” I was always very aware of that fact as a kid and would pass on figures if they didn’t look good enough, like that initial jaw-chomping Venom. I hated how his head looked and didn’t get him even though I was a big Venom fan back then. Just about every figure was a compromise on my part on some level. I always wanted the figures to look like they stepped out of the screen (or off the page) and that desire for accuracy is a big part of what fuels my adult collecting. A Venom or black-costumed Spidey with blue shading is absolutely something that would have excited me back in 94, and would now if it was done well.
S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:53 pm

Does anyone know if the Retro Spider-man has shown up online yet?
panther10

Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:34 pm

S.W.O.R.D. Agent wrote:Does anyone know if the Retro Spider-man has shown up online yet?
More quantities haven’t been added to the app so probably not

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:39 pm

Gotcha, thanks for the info.
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:54 pm

Looks like Spidey is starting to hit stores, which makes sense since Walmart hasn’t started shipping them.

Nebraska
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:13 am

My buddy found the shipper in Indiana last night. 2 Spideys & 2 Lizards per shipper.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Scotch n Ciggs
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:13 am

PSPS13 wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:13 am
Still can't tell yet if they're doing cel-shading (fake shadows a la VHS X-Men) or not. If they're not: cool, animated style with real light works for me. If they are, this line needs to be comprehensive to be worth investing in.

Seems really unlikely they'll skip regular Spidey, the titular character, in this line/format, too-
So if they want to keep the body uniform with the symbiote one- we could get a 90s animated Spidey on the RYV body (which is more appropriately buff, to be fair). Would be nice to get an animated Peter head here, too.

They've really confused their options regarding Scorpion and Venom with those already on the retro cards. Hobgoblin, too. I'd expect they'll try Venom and it'll actually be better than the exclusive- so same paint apps (the sides of the red and blue are dictated by the show, I think), same head, but plugged and with an Eddie head, potentially.
Seems unlikely they'd do Scorpion again, nor Hobgoblin just for the sake of a new face- even though those releases won't fit with these if these are cel-shaded... At which point this line's starting to feel like another that could be really incomplete like the VHS X-Men.
Wish they'd thought ahead, kept the retro line genuinely retro comic inspired, and saved the animated designs for here, pure. Confused and muddied things.

From these I'd like:
Felicia (again- would we get another extremely similar Black Cat?), MJ, Aunt May, Daredevil (entirely conceivable with black added like this Carnage), Dock Ock, Morbius... Then we get to the problems of others I'd want but we're retro'd: Green Goblin, Mysterio, Rhino, Lizard, Kingpin... The whole sub-line's feeling less feasible to me the more I think about it.

Interesting to see where it goes.
I thought they were just trying to make them look like the old toys, not cell shaded on all of them.
Blackestday
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:15 pm

Nebraska wrote:
My buddy found the shipper in Indiana last night. 2 Spideys & 2 Lizards per shipper.

a freshly set up one only had 2 of each? that seems extremely low. you'd think at least a case of 6 each...or 4 of each were snagged by the employee that set it up
sepster
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:36 am

This Animated Spider-Man, the Amazing Friends Spider-Man and the Amazing Fantasy 15 Spider-Man are all on the same body, correct?
Roufuss
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:49 am

Blackestday wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:15 pm
Nebraska wrote:

a freshly set up one only had 2 of each? that seems extremely low. you'd think at least a case of 6 each...or 4 of each were snagged by the employee that set it up
Common sense and Wal-Mart don’t go together. I fully believe they would ship these out with two of each figure. Wal-Mart is so awful I saw that post and was just like “Yea, that makes sense for Wal-Mart, two Spider-Man each.”

Would be real cool if our online preorders shipped.
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:29 am

It would certainly be more helpful than shipping them out the week of Christmas. I'm outta town and I'm worried they'll be on my doorstep for two weeks, unless a kind neighbor takes them in.
thefamousnicknaro
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:35 am

I got super lucky and found a lone Spidey today at Walmart. He was just laying in the regular toy aisle away from the shipper. Thought I struck out at first.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”