ToyBiz Figures That Stand The Test Of Time

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
yojoebro82
Not Even Supposed To Be Here Today
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: ToyBiz Figures That Stand The Test Of Time

Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:24 am

A version of this thread appears every so often and I'm always happy to participate because TBML is one of my favorite toy lines of all time.

I have to echo what was said about many figures that have already been mentioned: Sandman, Scorpion, Green Goblin, Rhino, Face-Off Hulk and Sabertooth, Punisher......All of the above were just so great right out of the gate.

I applaud Ninjak for his bold choice of Havok. I don't think anyone else would put him over the recent Hasbro release just because of those crowd pleasing power effects he came with, even I as a big TB fan don't know if I'd have made that choice. Bravo.

I'll throw some other TB figures out there that have not yet been mentioned for your consideration:

Doc Ock---On the small side? Sure. But what is the most important thing about a Doc Ock figure? Yep.....it's the tentacles. And Toybiz's bendy wired, realistically painted, claw articulated tentacles are a home run in every way.

Mr. Sinister---Sculpted details galore, tons of paint, articulation, and a wildly unique cape. This figure is a sleeper, and lots of fun.

Nick Fury---The head sculpt has so much personality, and the base that connects to his rocket pack makes a sweet display piece.

First Appearance Spider-Man---I recently pulled this guy out and set him on my dresser to remind me that I don't need to buy something just because they made a new one. The Ditko Spider-Man look is flawless on this guy; not just just mask, but his build as well. He may not be able to hit EVERY Spider-Man pose, but he can hit a lot. (And for the new collectors, toe articulation and NOT having a red peg show up on the blue side of Spider-Man's arm is NOT a new innovation in toy design. This figure will show you it's actually been around for many, many years!)

Face-Off Captain America----I've sang the praises of this figure for years and I don't see it stopping. Even with Hasbro making a couple of stellar versions of classic Cap recently, I always go back to this figure. Sculpted detail, paint apps, articulation, I love it all. My wife sees me staring at this figure and asks, "Aren't you done yet?" And I tell her, "I could do this all day!"

And for my Ninjak-style bold and ballsy pick of the day:

Urban Legends Daredevil---This figure is an example of how a good paint job can breathe life into a figure, even if it is mostly one color. Instead of leaving this figure red plastic, they gave this guy a deep red paint wash that makes this one come to life. Instead of looking like a red plastic toy, he looks like he should be swinging through the shadows of Hell's Kitchen at midnight.

Yeah, I like TBML quite a bit. This line didn't just pave the way for ML as we know it today, it's a template for how just about every figure in the action figure in the action figure aisle today.
Jax
Avengers Assemble

Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:57 am

Face Off Hulk, Face Off Sabertooth, and BAF Walmart Giant Man are the only three I have left on display. So, I’ll go with those.
Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader

ToyBiz Figures That Stand The Test Of Time

Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:24 am

All my Toy Biz figures are still part of my collection, even if not all displayed at the moment. Every Iron Man armor remains on display. Toy Biz Marvel Legends will always have a special place in my heart.

In terms of figures that really holdup well:

Iron Man— House of M
Blackheart
Vengeance
Giantman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spocks_Goatee
Runs Around in Tights

Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:28 am

Human Torch

Hulkbuster

Ghost Rider

Green Goblin (personally I prefer the Retro look, but understand why people love it)

Hulkling

Iron Man 1st Appearance (one of my favorite IM figures and unlikely to be sculpted as accurately under Hasbro)

Apocalypse BAF

Bishop

Bullseye

Cable (aside from size, this trumps Hasbros weak effort)

Comic Punisher

Colossus (makes the current Hasbro version look like a hunk of chrome shit)

Nick Fury (better sculpt and paint, even if limited articulation)

Nightcrawler (better posability and non-twink headsculpt)

MODOK BAF

Mr. Sinister

Vision
gpmartin414
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:37 am

Diddy310 wrote:This guy right here

Great figure, but if you open it, it’s almost definitely developed some sticky covering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scissors
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing

Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:58 am

Spocks_Goatee wrote:
Green Goblin (personally I prefer the Retro look, but understand why people love it)
Oh yeah, forgot about this. This guy still blows every other Green Goblin figure out of the water! The head sculpt particularly is just perfect. I've toyed with the idea of transplanting his head to a Hasbro Goblin body, but I just couldn't bring myself to butcher the TB Goblin.
DerRabbi
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:18 am

I still use the classic Kraven and FF Lizard (for now). My classic Hasbro Hawkeye still uses a Toybiz classic head. I use a lot of the ones you've listed too but would be into replacing my Luke Cage, Iron Fist and Falcon sometime soon. Classic Nick Fury & Doc Ock are still good figures; and series 2 Thing as we all know is still the best Thing head sculpt. Series 2 Doom has a certain charm. At least it doesn't have chain mail.
Raybot
Swears it's 6 inches

Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:22 am

Dragon Man, Giant-Man, Spider-Hulk, and FA Iron Man still hold up for me but just about everything else Toybiz got bounced outta my display by now either for space or for upgrades.
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:25 am

Think you could've waited for a slow news day to post this thread, Ninjak? :lol:

At this point, very little that. I think Fearsome Foes Rhino is still great. Hasbro's Green Goblin figures have left me wanting, so I'll add the ML13 version.

The gangly limbs and ball joints really doom most of Toy Biz's offerings.

Spocks_Goatee wrote:

Uh. Excuse me, what?
Ninjak
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wow, there are some really awesome suggestions from everyone. I forgot all about the First Appearance Iron Man. I love that figure. It's a great representation of that version of Iron Man. I would have definitely added him to my list, but I was going off the top of head.
Scissors wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:26 am
Good list! The only one I'd debate is the Falcon... I feel he looks gangly and awkward compared to modern Hasbro figures.
I still use that Falcon as my default because he's the only Legend we've gotten with him sporting his classic look. If Hasbro makes a classic Falcon in the same costume, I would probably replace the ToyBiz version. Same goes for classic Luke Cage and Iron Fist.
yojoebro82 wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:24 am
I applaud Ninjak for his bold choice of Havok. I don't think anyone else would put him over the recent Hasbro release just because of those crowd pleasing power effects he came with, even I as a big TB fan don't know if I'd have made that choice. Bravo.
I will admit that the latest classic Havok figure from Hasbro looks better than this figure. However, not so much better as to be worth $25 to replace the TB one (at least IMO). An all black figure like this doesn’t have to have that much detail to still look pretty good, and this one has the silver neck collar (unlike the Hasbro figure). Plus I've always thought of Havok as being kind of thin and not super muscled up. And this guy is also super-posable and all his joints are tight and ratcheted. So for me to swap him out with the Hasbro figure would basically be a wash. With the exception of the cool effects pieces that come with the Hasbro figure.

Spocks_Goatee
Runs Around in Tights

Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:30 am

TheSameIdiot wrote:

Spocks_Goatee wrote:

Uh. Excuse me, what?
The Hasbro Kurt looks like a male model doing cosplay.
Ninjak
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:31 am

Oops, double post. I accidentally quoted myself when I meant to do a quick edit.
Dek
Runs Around in Tights

Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:34 am

Dave Cockrum designed Kurt to look like a male model. That was the whole thing, he was a ridiculously good looking guy under a thin layer of fur. At least that's what Cockrum said in multiple interviews.
Spocks_Goatee
Runs Around in Tights

Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:41 am

Dek wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:34 am
Dave Cockrum designed Kurt to look like a male model. That was the whole thing, he was a ridiculously good looking guy under a thin layer of fur. At least that's what Cockrum said in multiple interviews.
Hasbro took too many liberties, I cannot recall classic Nightcrawler being drawn that youthful looking.
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:45 am

Spocks_Goatee wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:30 am
TheSameIdiot wrote:

Spocks_Goatee wrote:

Uh. Excuse me, what?
The Hasbro Kurt looks like a male model doing cosplay.

That is... not the complete definition of that word.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”