Spider-Man vs. Villains Five-Pack

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Spider-Man vs. Villains Five-Pack

Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:33 pm

TFitz wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:45 pm
spideyboy1111 wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:10 pm
- Molten Man is on the wrong body, and looks cheap as hell. They should of just reproduced the Ex Nihilo body....
I hope they never use that body again. It looks like someone looked at the Liefeld Captain America art and yelled "Hold my beer! I can make that in 3D!!" That chest is the worst sculpt they've done in the "modern" era.
i'm not a fan of it either.. but id take it over this, and customs looked better on it than this
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:55 pm

Not sure why Hasbro would feel that a delayed "Into the Spiderverse" wave that included Fly and Razorback wouldn't still include Fly and Razorback and instead re-arrange things - I mean we didn't know these were coming until a couple of weeks ago, and it isn't like those characters couldn't wait a few more months for release. I mean it is possible but not sure what they would gain, and I assume Amazon signed off on this months and months ago, maybe before the delay happened?

This set is so close in execution to the Wolverine set that, to the extent two years is a pattern, it seems pretty clear that this is a new option to get semi-obscure (aka possible peg-warming) characters out that maybe includes one whole figure worth of new tooling between them.
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:21 pm

fac wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:55 pm
Not sure why Hasbro would feel that a delayed "Into the Spiderverse" wave that included Fly and Razorback wouldn't still include Fly and Razorback and instead re-arrange things - I mean we didn't know these were coming until a couple of weeks ago, and it isn't like those characters couldn't wait a few more months for release. I mean it is possible but not sure what they would gain, and I assume Amazon signed off on this months and months ago, maybe before the delay happened?

This set is so close in execution to the Wolverine set that, to the extent two years is a pattern, it seems pretty clear that this is a new option to get semi-obscure (aka possible peg-warming) characters out that maybe includes one whole figure worth of new tooling between them.
^ Because amazon wanted another box set and now they had time to put more spider-verse figures into a spider-verse wave (or gasp, maybe even MCU No Way Home villains in it too)

would you rather stick the fly and razorback in a baf wave (who would peg warm) or put figures from 2 of the most popular spider-man films of all time, you now have room for?
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:28 pm

blobfrombeyond wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:42 pm
A lot of unlike for this set.
Yes, lots of reuse and such.
But that’s why I like that this is an Amazon exclusives: you don’t need it.

Imagine the outrage if these were 5 figures in a Spidey wave of seven figures + BAF (!)

Like last year’s Wolverine 5-pack, no real necessities.
why would people be upset these were in a baf wave? we've had less fan demanded figures in baf waves before.. and we can't keep getting A and B list villain redos... not sure what people are expecting here... "never been dones" are a good thing for character selection
blobfrombeyond
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:50 pm

spideyboy1111 wrote:
blobfrombeyond wrote:

Imagine the outrage if these were 5 figures in a Spidey wave of seven figures + BAF (!)

why would people be upset these were in a baf wave? we've had less fan demanded figures in baf waves before.. and we can't keep getting A and B list villain redos... not sure what people are expecting here... "never been dones" are a good thing for character selection
Look at all the negative feedback on this Amazon set…had it been a wave with a BAF (like a really good BAF), there’d be riots.
Haha.
Look, I’m getting this set - I dig all things Spidey.
I don’t care if Silverman is a “lazy” effort, or Molten Man is “iceman w/ a Nuke head”.

It seems to me people want all new sculpts on A-listers, all the time.
Not gonna happen.
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:51 pm

blobfrombeyond wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:50 pm
spideyboy1111 wrote:
blobfrombeyond wrote:

Look at all the negative feedback on this Amazon set…had it been a wave with a BAF (like a really good BAF), there’d be riots.
Haha.
Look, I’m getting this set - I dig all things Spidey.
I don’t care if Silverman is a “lazy” effort, or Molten Man is “iceman w/ a Nuke head”.

It seems to me people want all new sculpts on A-listers, all the time.
Not gonna happen.
so what you're saying is it'd be the same amount of complaining either way... :lol:
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:14 pm

spideyboy1111 wrote:
would you rather stick the fly and razorback in a baf wave (who would peg warm) or put figures from 2 of the most popular spider-man films of all time, you now have room for?
My point was it is not likely Hasbro ever intended to have these two figures in any BAF wave and always intended them for this boxset. So no, I wouldn't rather stick them in a BAF wave, that's your theory that this was the original plan.

We'll never know, but I see no reason the delay means they would have permission to add more figures from the film, or that any figures they now might make from other Sony Spider-Man films would be slotted into this wave. Much easier to think they just would have kept the originally planned and budgeted and solicited assortment on hold than revise it.

Adding two newly sculpted figures to a wave would only add cost to Hasbro, when it would make more sense to save those costs for another movie Spidey wave focused on NWH, especially with no movie Spidey films on the horizon.
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:26 pm

fac wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:14 pm
spideyboy1111 wrote:
My point was it is not likely Hasbro ever intended to have these two figures in any BAF wave and always intended them for this boxset. So no, I wouldn't rather stick them in a BAF wave, that's your theory that this was the original plan.

We'll never know, but I see no reason the delay means they would have permission to add more figures from the film, or that any figures they now might make from other Sony Spider-Man films would be slotted into this wave. Much easier to think they just would have kept the originally planned and budgeted and solicited assortment on hold than revise it.

Adding two newly sculpted figures to a wave would only add cost to Hasbro, when it would make more sense to save those costs for another movie Spidey wave focused on NWH, especially with no movie Spidey films on the horizon.
hasbro tends to spend money on movie related waves (often in a movie wave majority, if not all the characters have unique sculpts) this isn't uncommon.

if Spider-verse is anything like how No Way Home was handled... it's very likely the only concept art Hasbro got initially... was miles, gwen, 2099 (for sure). We know they also received Cyborg Spider-man at some point, and while we haven't seen his design, spider-punk's guitar is also getting made as a kids toy) so in theory, that's already 5 figures for a wave.

They likely did not have for instance Spot's concept art until it was released publically for us all to see, as it was only revealed 2 months ago. With the delay.... they now can put the spot (and someone else) in the delayed wave as they have been given extra time to do that... or maybe the 2 extra figures aren't Spider-verse... but instead... Electro and Norman? they could have started working on them and had them in a spider-man comic wave for 2023.. and went "Well now we can stick them here" we don't know. that's what speculation is.. but i'd very much argue this makes absolute sense, and i suspect we will understand better once we see who's in the spider-verse wave when it finally hits.

its also not really adding cost if they just sub them out and re-shuffle what was getting made anyway.
Ninjak
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:55 pm

The weirdest figure in this set is the Ultimate Symbiote Spider-Man. What a random choice.

They should have included the new updated Retro Spider-Man body with the pin-less joints and toe articulation, and used the classic Ross Andru / Romita Sr. head from the original release, along with the classic paint job and smaller spider symbol. That would have at least made some sense. I mean they release a box-set with all 1970's Marvel 616 villains and then randomly throw in a Spider-Man from the 2000's Ultimate Marvel U. What the…? It would have made about as much sense to throw in Marina from Alpha Flight? In fact, more people would probably have been happier with that. LOL

Also, the only reason they included Silvermane is because they already had the head and body ready to go. But most people already have that exact figure that they made themselves years ago. So that's like not even getting a new figure at all. Another poor decision when it would have been just as cost effective to give us someone like The Spot, or Tarantula, or about a half-dozen other C-list Spidey villains we've never gotten, like Will-O-The-Wisp, Cyclone, Slyde, The Rose, Foolkiller, or classic Boomerang, just to name a few. All of those characters would require very little to no new tooling at all to produce.

And while it's nice to get Molten Man, the figure is just so bland and phoned in. It's like a cross between his original metallic appearance and his later fiery look. But by combining them it fails on both counts. Because Molten Man never actually looked like what they are going for with the figure. Pretty lame attempt.

I am a huge Spider-Man fan (been so for decades), but it's going to be really tough to justify spending the money on this set. I may bite the bullet and get it on day one, or I may wait to see if it drops in price. It's always a gamble where Spider-Man is concerned. Just look how fast the Doc Ock / Silk 2-pack sold out. And that was basically all reuse. I would hate to wait and have to pay above retail to score one in the future.

It's a real shame that it's even a dilemma, as this set could have been a total slam-dunk, home run, touchdown, with a just a minimal amount more thought and effort on Hasbro's part.
Capman
Amalgam version of "Bat America"

Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:59 pm

Based on many of the concerns mentioned, this set is looking more like a Cyber Monday purchase for me. Excited for the villains, but not Spidey.
Sirtank
Avengers Assemble

Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:25 am

I'm not super happy with this set either but I'll still buy it. I'm not waiting another 20 years for them to make a Molten Man again. Besides, my Spider shelf is high up, I won't be able to tell he's wearing boots or is on the wrong buck anyway.
Stormbreaker1
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:48 am

Ninjak wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:55 pm
The weirdest figure in this set is the Ultimate Symbiote Spider-Man. What a random choice.

They should have included the new updated Retro Spider-Man body with the pin-less joints and toe articulation, and used the classic Ross Andru / Romita Sr. head from the original release, along with the classic paint job and smaller spider symbol. That would have at least made some sense. I mean they release a box-set with all 1970's Marvel 616 villains and then randomly throw in a Spider-Man from the 2000's Ultimate Marvel U. What the…? It would have made about as much sense to throw in Marina from Alpha Flight? In fact, more people would probably have been happier with that. LOL

Also, the only reason they included Silvermane is because they already had the head and body ready to go. But most people already have that exact figure that they made themselves years ago. So that's like not even getting a new figure at all. Another poor decision when it would have been just as cost effective to give us someone like The Spot, or Tarantula, or about a half-dozen other C-list Spidey villains we've never gotten, like Will-O-The-Wisp, Cyclone, Slyde, The Rose, Foolkiller, or classic Boomerang, just to name a few. All of those characters would require very little to no new tooling at all to produce.

And while it's nice to get Molten Man, the figure is just so bland and phoned in. It's like a cross between his original metallic appearance and his later fiery look. But by combining them it fails on both counts. Because Molten Man never actually looked like what they are going for with the figure. Pretty lame attempt.

I am a huge Spider-Man fan (been so for decades), but it's going to be really tough to justify spending the money on this set. I may bite the bullet and get it on day one, or I may wait to see if it drops in price. It's always a gamble where Spider-Man is concerned. Just look how fast the Doc Ock / Silk 2-pack sold out. And that was basically all reuse. I would hate to wait and have to pay above retail to score one in the future.

It's a real shame that it's even a dilemma, as this set could have been a total slam-dunk, home run, touchdown, with a just a minimal amount more thought and effort on Hasbro's part.
Great post Ninjak.

Check your message box when you get a chance.
RamTron
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing

Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:53 am

Would’ve made more sense to throw in a symbiote Spidey on the retro buck with that classic blue shading or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aceofknaves
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:19 am

Huh. I’ve got no issue with this set at all. I think it’s very cool, weird grape Spidey notwithstanding, and while I aggressively dislike Ultimate stuff I am totally good with having a teen-body symbiote Spidey. As for the villains, I would have enthusiastically bought them all in a BAF wave, maybe griping a bit about Silvermane being totally reused parts, and I’d likely have double-bought at least a couple of them as I tend to do with Spidey villains (and villains in general).
I think it’s a great set, better than last year’s Wolvie set which I also quite liked.
RamTron
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing

Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:38 am

Ohhh I get it now - the little Spidey is to make the baddies look bigger than they actually are. =]

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”