Questions for Conventions - 2022

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Questions for Conventions - 2022

Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:20 pm

Here's a place for questions you'd like to hear the ML team answer, now that regular fans will have some access this summer! If anyone gets a chance to talk to the team in person and wants some conversation starters/icebreakers, bookmark this thread! :) And please report back if you are able to ask any of these!

- Why did we not get a Multiverse of Madness figure of Wanda? Is one coming, or do we need to start customizing ourselves?

- With pinless joints, the harder plastic material that is a different color than the limbs is now no longer isolated to the torso, but now we have differently colored plastic elbows and knees on many figures. When is Hasbro going to address this growing color mismatch problem throughout the line, when most of these areas should match? Vulcan is a prime example.

- From canprime in another thread (quoting for clarity):
canprime wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:58 pm
So I watched the round table for the GI Joe HISS Tank Haslab and there was an interesting bit of information that I wish someone had followed up on, and will have some (minor) implications going forward for all Haslab projects.

According to the Joe team (Emily/Lenny) the Hiss was done by the Haslab team and not the Joe team. The Joe team was obviously involved, but the majority of the work was done by the Haslab team. Then they mentioned that the Haslab team would be taking the lead on all future Haslab projects going forward.

So to me that was a bit of a shock as I thought that the different brand teams were responsible for the Haslabs they did. That leads to my wish that someone had followed up about what those comments meant exactly. Was it just for Joe Haslabs? How big is the Haslab team if they have their own designers? How much input does the brand team get in regards to the projects? Do they get final say, or does the Haslab team get final say?
- The question: What does this mean for ML going forward? Is this the last Haslab done by the ML team, or will the next one be done by the Haslab team? Or will this affect Marvel HasLabs at all?
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Re: Questions for Conventions - 2022

Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:26 pm

For hasbro:

Beamish
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:52 pm

I was literally about to post a similar thread. Good thing I checked before I did! :D

Can the Legends Team please explain/expand on their "comic vs. film IP confusion" statements? What does that mean exactly, and which comic characters does that affect? Is this the reason we haven't seen comic equivalents of many MCU counterparts who have figures - Mantis, Mandarin, Nebula, Heimdall, Yondu, Baron Mordo, Skurge, Sersi, M'Baku, Killmonger, Wong, Ronan the Accuser update, Collector, Grandmaster, etc.
e-rock
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:25 pm

I would like to ask about what is the intent for the Marvel Legends Legacy Collection MCU line. Is it just to get old figures that are hard to get back out there or will we see never before made figures in the line?

If no new characters in Legacy, are we still going to get more make up lines like M10 or Infinity Saga, or are the premium lines more looking to be a comic/MCU mix?
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:26 pm

I concur with Ms. Kapur's question. :lol: (Not really)

I'll add -

Given some Walgreens and Amazon exclusives have been offered at retail price by online retailers after initial release, are retailer exclusives timed so that Fan Channel retailers (or Pulse) are able to offer a second run after the exclusivity window ends, and if so how does that work?

Related, for Pulse exclusives (like the fan-selection Silk and some of the army-building packs), if the initial run sells out quickly, would it be possible to offer a pre-order time period and then build to order for a second run? This appeared to have been done after the Pulsecon Hellfire Club set sold out after the initial production run.

Related to ML figures released concurrent with a new film or Disney+ show, how much flexibility does Hasbro have in selecting characters to make figures? Does Marvel/Disney dictate which characters/looks are available to merchandise partners? Fans often wonder why certain characters (such as the villain or side characters) are not included in the initial wave.

What is the status of possible line extensions, such as "giant-sized" characters (Giant Man, Stature); vehicles (Hellcharger, Fantasticar); horses/animals (Pegasus, Lockjaw); and/or playsets (Danger Room, Avengers Mansion)? Other licensed lines - especially Star Wars - have expanded beyond standard sized figures fairly regularly.

And one more specific to character choices: Has any discussion occurred about releasing Hasbro owned IP that appeared in Marvel comics in the past in Legends or a Legends comparable release, such as ROM and Micronauts characters?
Storm of the Vale
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:51 pm

Any characters you don't feel you could do?

Any chance of an updated classic She Hulk? (Especially in her Fantastic 4 costume)

Adding to that. Any more Fantastic 4 Retro or regular Wave figures planned?

With the Reavers gradually being done, what would be the next classic X-Men villain team/group you'd like to also tackle?

Any chance of a Daredevil Wave?
fingfangfoom
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:56 pm

Beamish wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:52 pm
Can the Legends Team please explain/expand on their "comic vs. film IP confusion" statements? What does that mean exactly, and which comic characters does that affect? Is this the reason we haven't seen comic equivalents of many MCU counterparts who have figures - Mantis, Mandarin, Nebula, Heimdall, Yondu, Baron Mordo, Skurge, Sersi, M'Baku, Killmonger, Wong, Ronan the Accuser update, Collector, Grandmaster, etc.
I have a specific question related to this topic:

Why can’t/won’t Hasbro conflate the comic and movie merch when it comes to some characters?
We’ll probably get an MCU Agatha, but we are never gonna get a comic Agatha Harkness. Why can’t they pack in a comic head for Agatha in package with a MCU figure?
Could be done if we ever get an MCU Aunt May. Could have been done with Nebula.
I realize the idea is heresy to half of my fellow collectors. And I realize that there may be some licensing restrictions.
But they’ve done it already, and even more illogically, with some comic characters (Madcap, Lilandra…), and I think it would add to their sales.
StjJames
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:51 pm

What’s up with Walgreens exclusives seeing as other e-tailers are carrying them now? Will theses exclusives continue from Walgreens? Isn’t there supposed to be two more exclusives ML figures from Walgreens for the year, if so, which characters will they b?
Johnny_Utah
Avengers Assemble

Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:04 pm

Plans for Spider-Man 2002 anniversary wave?

Plans for Zombie Strange?
ditko
Thread Killer

Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:00 am

Will we see more story based waves like HoX or AoA for the late 80s and early 90s X-Men stories? (X-Tinction Agenda)

And piggybacking off that, could an artist specific subline ever be on the table??

What Mafex figure do you guys want to blow out of the water?? Or will we find out soon enough?

And please make Ryan Ottley Hulk figures.
e-rock
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:21 am

Spoiler! :
Based on what we are seeing, def hoping Attuma ends up in the wave.
Beamish
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:50 am

Since Iron Man got an all-comic wave after the MCU version’s “story arc was complete” or whatever the exact quote was from Ryan, can we expect a Steve Rogers Cap wave featuring characters important to his mythos - Diamondback, Strucker, Baron Blood, Invaders, D-Man, Sin, Serpents, etc.?
Same if this is Hemsworth’s swan song - in a year or two can we get all comic Thor wave with Balder, comic accurate Skurge, Heimdall, Warriors Three, etc?
DetectiveHoag
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:01 am

ditko wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:00 am
Will we see more story based waves.. for the late 80s and early 90s..?
Operation: Galactic Storm?

Midnight Sons?

Acts of Vengeance?

Can we expect to see completed rosters for:
original Excalibur: Phoenix (Summers) & Widget
X-Force: Feral
ANAD X-Factor: Wolfsbane
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:51 pm

The answers to most of these questions (specifically around story-based waves or costumes) is always "We'd love to do that, we'll see." Has anyone ever asked "Is <random character> coming?" and the Hasbro team responded with "Yes, actually. Great question, that unannounced figure is coming later this year."

The questions that will receive specific answers are like those posed in the original post of this thread. Questions around specific decisions for a wave, timing of release, design choices for a character, etc - those types of questions have often yielded the most interesting responses, and the Hasbro team seems to appreciate those types of questions as opposed to say "When am I getting my El Muerte figure??!" - because... they have the Live Stream chat for stuff like that.

I'd like to know:

- Is the team considering use of the Retro Spider-Man or updated Spider-Man body for any other characters, or is that a Spidey specific body?
- Was the complete wave of Eternals MCU figures considered a success, as it completed the entire team - or did this bolster the need to mix comic characters into a wave?
- Is the X-Men Animated Wave at this point considered to be enough of a success to continue through 2023 or is that still TBD?
- Do you feel that the team has a good stable of generic bodies to choose from or are you working on pinless versions for other body types (teen, larger female, very muscular male etc.)
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:13 pm

the hasbro team is never really going to give a concrete answer towards specific characters, so it's probably best to throw those out

but i would be curious about the following

1) It's always nice when we get a comic character before their film debut, or something timed to coincide. (Shang-Chi for example, as well as Shriek) But we seem to be lacking on the reverse. We are still waiting on comic versions of Mantis, Whiplash, Surtur, Nebula, etc... are we able to get these? or is there some bizarre hang up? and if so, what is it exactly?

2) are smaller haslab offerings possible? payment plans?

3) what goes into the decision making for some of the accessories for a character, why are we often for instance given less necessary hands, but missing something more integral to the character? Syrin not having a screaming head but given expressive hands is a bit odd, Speedball with no effects at all (when everyone else in the wave has something) If it's a budget issue, why not save the figure for another wave when you can spread the budget out better?

4) (and they wont answer this) but "do you think the price increases are fair given the state of the economy and the fact hasbro has made record profits? Does it concern you that we might be at a tipping point and the line suffer because of it?

5) clearly you've seen some complaints over the animated repaints. What are the odds that we will actually get dedicated animated sculpts for past marvel properties that actually reflect the art (much like your spider-verse and what if figures) rather than mostly just repaints.

6) Army building, can these be ever green? something that can be made to order during scheduled order windows?

7) rounding out the teams are we going to get more serpent society? or missing members from other "completed" teams? is this a goal?

8 ) are there characters that may be too risque for brick and mortar shelves, but may be able to get made in other outlets marketed to just the adult collector? Goblin Queen, Savage Land Rogue, Shanna, Moondragon, etc?

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”