Hasbro Pulse Selfie Series

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
JTMarsh
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Hasbro Pulse Selfie Series

Thu May 26, 2022 1:27 am

Seems more like a semi expensive joke gift you'd get for a coworker in the office that everyone knows loves StarWars/Marvel/PowerRangers/Ghostbusters. Personally I don't think I'd even want one if someone gave it to me. I might buy it for someone else whom I know liked Star Wars or Ghostbusters, but I assume those people probably get endless gifts from the "I know you like StarWars, so here's more StarWars $h!t!" Basically a gift that doesn't require much forethought but costs $60 bucks. I'm not saying some might not outright love these, but I'd put it slightly above "oh boy a singing fish for my wall" in terms of reactions if I was gifted one of these.
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Thu May 26, 2022 1:44 am

Ah... if someone took the time to make one of these for me and spent 60 bucks on it I'd be pretty [email protected]#$ thrilled and touched lol
canprime
Avengers Assemble

Thu May 26, 2022 2:03 am

I like this concept, but definitely a lot of questions need to be answered beforehand.

Basically you are paying $60 for a head. The bodies are already tooled, and I imagine that while there would be a cost to actual production of the bodies, I can see this being a limited time offer, ala Haslab. So you have to get your order in by a certain date, and then it goes into production, and you wait. That way they save on production costs for the bodies, and then the expensive part (heads) can be made from a couple of molds. Say a mold of male heads, and a mold of female heads, each one has a couple different styles per mold. That is just my uninformed guess.

How will we submit likenesses? I agree with others that it will probably be some kind of app with photo submissions.

What happens with a dispute over a likeness, and how are they filtered by Hasbro? What I mean is that if this is an automated filtering system to avoid celebrity likenesses being used without consent, then what happens if they are using an algorithm and it gets fooled? There are enough similar looking people out there that someone could get denied based on an algorithm. I mean look at the Chinese guy they recently showcased who was a fairly close match to Elon Musk. I mean he did look a lot like Elon Musk, and he wasn't even the same ethnicity!!!

Finally I hope they are better at this than what was shown in the leak. The majority of those heads did not look good. Now is that because of the technology used? Just the samples? Or, heaven forbid, maybe some people should avoid get a sculpt of their face/head done in toy form (I'm a bit worried myself about how I'll turn out in figure form).
e-rock
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 26, 2022 2:07 am

I dont know if the heads are bad cause I didn't see the pics of the people they were supposed to be of. But I am def willing to give this a whirl
Slixta
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 26, 2022 5:16 am

If this can get me a Britney Spears figure I am all in.
Mr potatohead
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 26, 2022 1:21 pm

I did this for my family (parents, sister) with Headbobble. Don't think they're around anymore, but there are other companies that do it. Nobody knew it was coming, so they got the biggest kick out of it. It was new at the time (before smartphones so you had to actually mail in a photo you knew you wouldn't get back) so they weren't even aware of the technology. They came out fantastic, and my fam all still have them proudly displayed.

And no, they wouldn't do celebrities' photos.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 26, 2022 1:41 pm

Mr potatohead wrote:
I did this for my family (parents, sister) with Headbobble. Don't think they're around anymore, but there are other companies that do it. Nobody knew it was coming, so they got the biggest kick out of it. It was new at the time (before smartphones so you had to actually mail in a photo you knew you wouldn't get back) so they weren't even aware of the technology. They came out fantastic, and my fam all still have them proudly displayed.

How were those sculpted? Did they take the photos and convert them to digital 3D sculpts? 3D printed?
Mr potatohead
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 26, 2022 2:04 pm

NORM wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 1:41 pm
Mr potatohead wrote:

How were those sculpted? Did they take the photos and convert them to digital 3D sculpts? 3D printed?
While I don't remember all the specifics, I believe they were 3D digitally sculpted from the pic and a cast was made from that instead of them being 3D printed.
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Thu May 26, 2022 3:24 pm

I'm assuming there will just be a few head shape selections available and the face printing is meant to do a lot of the heavy lifting. Like the Civil War Wanda release (looked nothing like Olsen) to the Infinity War 2 pack where all of a sudden the same head looked pretty close after Real Print.
Racer_X
I wish I had super powers

Thu May 26, 2022 7:59 pm

A decade ago, Cubify allowed you to upload a front and side-view of your head in order to get a 3D-printed personalized 5-inch Star Trek figures. I did that for both original series and Next Generation uniforms and they came out pretty well for the size. Of course, I had short hair so didn't have to worry about any craziness with that. I'm definitely down for getting one or two of these personalized figures once they go up for sale.

Here's one article at startrek.com: https://www.startrek.com/article/cubify ... f-yourself
PG-Superfan
CROM!

Fri May 27, 2022 9:57 pm

I wonder if this is going to be a thing at conventions.
Discogod
prefers hot chicks to Fwooshers

Fri May 27, 2022 10:11 pm

I don't know what company it was, but TRU in Times Square used to have a setup to scan your head, then print it and put it on a Titan Heroes body. It was far too expensive for what it was but it was a neat idea. I'd imagine this is a similar kind of setup.
chaosMonkeyPoo
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 27, 2022 11:05 pm

This is kind of ridiculous but I'd absolutely be down with getting a Snake Eyes, and maybe a MMPR Green Ranger if they ever do one. It seems expensive at first but considering the figure is $20-25 usd, you're really paying 35-40 for a custom head based on your likeness which is pretty reasonable as far as I'm concerned.
SalemCrow
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 28, 2022 4:39 pm

Amazing_Spider-Man wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 11:11 pm
So are they just gonna print your face on a generic stock head? Or are they 3D printing a custom head based on several images?

Hope to hear more from this, cuz it sounds cool.
I did this when Hasbro had the little kiosks at Walmart years ago, and all it did was print the images onto a stock bald head and slapped it on your choice of superhero (on those cheap 12" bodies no less).

I want to see ACTUAL product, and people with facial hair/different hair styles/glasses, before I'm willing to commit the kind of money they want.
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 29, 2022 8:30 am

Yeah, I'm bald but have a beard. Would I be stuck with heads with hair on top, and none on bottom?

Also, if you have to, like, scan your head with a phone app, and NOT submit flat photos, doing this as a surprise gift for someone goes right out the window.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”