2023 - X-Men 60th Anniversary

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
yojoebro82
Not Even Supposed To Be Here Today
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: 2023 - X-Men 60th Anniversary

Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:21 pm

TheSameIdiot wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:37 am
Has no one mentioned the fact that Jubilee looks like a bobblehead?

tetragene wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:12 am
I hope when they get to Outback Psylocke they don't go the "painted details" route over some specific sculpted parts.

I don't know how they'd even do that. She has to be a unique sculpt.
Hasbro reads what you wrote about Psylocke and says, "Hold our beer".

I am hoping that this Jubilee head is compatible with the first Jubilee, because she is cockeyed. There are two head sculpts for this new one, correct? I could possible display both at the same time!
H-bird
hbwrdlngiv, after secondary mutation

Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:45 pm

I think it's very unlikely that Hasbro is grabbing images themselves off of Google searches, rather than working from control art provided by Marvel as the licensor and owner of the IP.
CTVampSlayer
X-23 gots a boyfriend

Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:04 pm

No, no. The real answer is whichever allows us to do the most amount of bitching, moaning, and minor nitpicking of consumer goods.

For what it's worth, this version of Psylocke is supposed to be a White-British-Woman-Inhabiting-Asian-Japanese-Woman's-Body, but Marvel has since returned the two characters to their original bodies. Psylocke Classic (Betsy Braddock, the racially white, ethnically English, purple hair) is currently Captain Britain. Kwannon (racially Asian, ethnically Japanese, black hair) is currently Psylocke.

There is a greater discussion to be had on the lack of diversity in comic book artists which is why questions like "Why doesn't Kwannon look like a Japanese woman?" come up. The issue is that a lot of artists draw ethnic characters indistinguishably from white characters. Kwannon, Sunspot, Monet, Rictor, and even Storm are all victims of this practice in the comics at times. Unfortunately, related media/associated products tend to follow the wrong examples.

I think this Psylocke headsculpt looks better than the ones we usually get, but the SDCC exclusive X-Force version is still my favorite representation of Betsy-as-Kwannon.
RoyalCollector
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:00 pm

H-bird wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:45 pm
I think it's very unlikely that Hasbro is grabbing images themselves off of Google searches, rather than working from control art provided by Marvel as the licensor and owner of the IP.

Hasbro definitely uses google as references for some of their Legends. Comics, video games, other merchandise. If you search that character you'll most likely find the reference/references they've used on the first page. They even use custom Legends as inspiration. It's a free for all.
H-bird
hbwrdlngiv, after secondary mutation

Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:37 pm

Right, but that could also be a result of Marvel pushing certain designs of characters across different merchandise streams. If the design of the new Ronan, for example, matches Contest of Champions or Future Fight or whatever it could be because those games have 100 million downloads and Marvel wants the ‘bro to match those looks.

Of course I don’t know either way, I just suspect that Marvel as a company is at least a bit more involved in their merchandising than “just do the first thing you find on Google.”
Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:22 pm

They even do it for Power Ranger alt heads. Most of their unhelmeted Power Ranger head shots are basically one of the first like 5 pics you see when you google said character (smirk, smile, hair style, ect...). You would think they would try harder, but it doesn't feel like they do. Some things like game designs and such sure. But stuff like Outback Rogue or the only Syrin we've ever gotten, are straight up front page google. Some characters they do better. Some they don't give a ****. I personally have no interest in this Rogue or the outback team in general. But, if I did, I would be furious with the way she is done. And the figures they have done this to I was interested in, I have been vocal about how displeased I am/was. This shit shouldn't fly at these prices. They do figures like Spiral, which looks fantastic. Then they do this Rogue, or Avalanche. Its mind blowing. I've seen customs using existing pieces that look better.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:52 pm

If they use google and customs for reference, where's my shirtless Sebastian Shaw! :D

CTVampSlayer
X-23 gots a boyfriend

Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:58 pm

Whenever someone posts a reference pic Hasbro clearly used as inspiration, it's always from a legitimate Marvel source -- comic panel, comic cover, poster, MCU concept art, etc. and yet, here we are. What is the actual complaint this time? They're using official references, but not the official references I would personally prefer; hear me roar?
kailryu
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:04 pm

If that Rogue goes on sale I’ll get her for the head but the body is straight in the fodder bin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mrboshek
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:15 pm

Rogue was without a doubt my number one want. It's a $25 figure. I'll buy multiples and I won't be overly broken up about it. Just mildly frustrated.
MentalManipulator
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:00 pm

TheMadcapLaughs wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:55 am
Did a quick edit of Outback Rogue in MS Paint. I put the leg cuts of the leotard higher up and the tops of her boots lower down. I feel it better captures the artwork of the era this way. Considering that this is a figure that only has a single unique part on a completely generic body with an uncomplicated deco, I doubt a little more black paint would have broke the budget.
Your edit looks so much better. A slight change and it already looks more in model. If only they used SW bust to add detail to the top part of her costume....

And now looking at this picture I finally figures who she looks like: Candice Bergen in Miss Congeniality. A younger version of her. The smirk, bone structure and specially her eyebrows and the way her hair falls over her eyes...it's Uncanny.

As for the Psylocke dilemma, I agree she should look more Japanese, but they tried to be faithful to Jim Lee art and IMO she never looked 100% Japanese in there either. She looked more like Tia Carrera or even sometimes like a latina.

So this figure is, for me, the better Hasbro Jim Lee Psylocke attempt. The only nitpicks I would have is I would have preferred a little more volume and length to her hair and I wish her skin tone and make-up came more like the render in the box art. Apart from that, I give it a 8.5 out of 10.
tetragene
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:02 pm

CTVampSlayer wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:58 pm
Whenever someone posts a reference pic Hasbro clearly used as inspiration, it's always from a legitimate Marvel source -- comic panel, comic cover, poster, MCU concept art, etc. and yet, here we are. What is the actual complaint this time? They're using official references, but not the official references I would personally prefer; hear me roar?
some complaints about figures are just to be complaining, sure -- but I would think with era specific looks when Hasbro veers outside of that era's source material & thus the most often rendering of the look to instead base it off an interpretation from a one-off variant cover or a less well received series (like Claremont's awful "what if I never left the x-books in the 90s" series) then the gripes are legitimate.

It's not like outback Rogue, Excalibur Shadowcat, etc are likely to get re-dos (ok, Shadowcat *maybe* since she was in a box set). Rogue's hair being so far off from the way it actually looked during the Outback period & using a painted-on bustier (that is hiked up too high) when they have an actual existing sculpt for one is on the decidedly odd side of things
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:08 pm

Also up at BBTS.
WTHIOTina
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:09 pm

Rogue says sold out???