2023 - X-Men 60th Anniversary

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
canprime
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: 2023 - X-Men 60th Anniversary

Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:28 pm

How about using the term "Celestial" instead?

Then at least some people would have to make the effort to look it up to figure out what it means? Make them work a bit!!!! Of course it is still derogatory.

Anyway, back on topic:

I guess I'm lucky that the blue/yellow team look was at the tail end of my original comic book reading. So it doesn't hold much sway over me. I like the look, but it isn't much of a want for me. Now that Blob is great, and a truly needed update. The original BAF was a great size, but the "cellulite" look, as Dwight mentioned always kind of bothered me. Now this new version is what I really wanted, and I am glad he is a solid piece, and not that soft belly material like on Mojo (which you know will break down quicker than a standard figure).

The unveiled wave was ok. For me the only two I really want are Corsair and Fang because of the Imperial Guard and cosmic connections. Kid Omega looks good, and would be a maybe on sale. Monet and Chamber were never on my radar originally, and now I don't really have an attachment to them. Emma and Cyclops are nice updates, but again not really interested.

The PS4/5 Spiderman looks good, and is probably a nice update, but I haven't played the game, and I really only like a very few alternate costumes for Spidey, and this isn't one of them. That Kraven look great!!!!! I still put the original comic look in the number one spot, but the animated look here is a close second and I'll be preordering him for sure.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:34 pm

canprime wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:28 pm
How about using the term "Celestial" instead?

Then at least some people would have to make the effort to look it up to figure out what it means? Make them work a bit!!!! Of course it is still derogatory.
Heh. I almost added that example to my post, but decided it was always meant to be mocking/derogatory so was a different thing...
WTHIOTina
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:32 am

Can Hasbro celebrate the 61st anniversary of the X-Men in 2024? I am LOVING all this love for the X-Men! I just want all that I can get.
I was collecting during the lean years of Marvel Legends when there were NO X-MEN figures. Period. Nadda. To now have this wealth of X-Men is just fantastic!!
JTMarsh
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:07 am

Banshee and Gambit are the one's I'm Day 1 ordering. Psylocke remains to be seen, might look better with a hair swap.

Emma and the Forge 3pk I'll likely wait for a sale. Monet looks good, but as relatively unknown as the character is I imagine she'll go on sale easily as well. Definitely getting Chamber as he's the obvious stand out of the reveals aside from Banshee. Blob looks decent but I don't dig either of his head sculpts. Too much like Eric Cartman caricatures. Emma I'll likely headswap and then she'll look fine. Cyclops I'll likely get at some point. Quentin Quire wasn't ever a character I liked, but I can magic-eraser off his paint and see how it looks as an AOA Magneto black bodysuit etc. Corsair I'll see if I can get on sale whenever. Intrigued to see what Ch'od looks like as now I know we don't need to campaign for him further.

Hopefully some more AOA in the next year or so. Chamber genuinely looks grand though.
Mister Voorhees
CROM!

Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:15 am

I was excited to see an '80s Rogue... but I don't think she looks great. Chamber is a stand-out but knowing Hasbro it'll probably be a decade before we get even half the GenX team in a unified look.
mattmurdog
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:22 am

dchimpy wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:11 pm
I was really looking forward to Rogue, but she's a bit a of letdown for me. The hair looks really off. I don't think I've ever seen an illustration of Outback Rogue with hair in front of her face, it's usually swept back in that era from what I recall. It also would've been nice if the boots were a sculpted detail and not just paint.
She's super disappointing to me. Similar to Meggan. I don't hate the look, it's just not the look I have in mind. The hair isn't accurate and the full on painted body with no sculpting feels very lackluster. For whatever reason I was also expecting to see her with her shirt

tetragene
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:16 am

I'm surprised the new Psylocke head isn't a hit with more people -- I think it's waaaay better than the Apocalypse wave head. The sideswept hair is more Jim Lee (could be better, arguably) & the stern expression is more fitting than the "bored" look of the Apocalypse version. Different strokes, I guess.

Rogue is *super* disappointing. They seemed to have referenced Jim Lee for the hair sculpt when he only very briefly drew her in that look. I would have preferred if they went with the Silvestri or Adams hairstyle that was more '80s. All the painted on details are meh too -- they could've developed a better bustier upper torso with actual neck articulation to retire the Scarlet WItch torso & keep from the lackluster painted-on look. This makes me worried that the 2-pack Sersi from the leaked list will also have her bustier painted on instead of sculpted... especially since I assumed they would be sharing upper torso pieces
Andru
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:56 am

Overall I am pretty pleased with today's reveals.

In terms of the training uniform packs, I think Banshee, Gambit, & Psylocke all look great. The others aren't bad, just not as exiting. Definitely in for both sets.

Blob looks very well done.

Rogue looks a bit lazy, but I am happy to get this look.

For the actual B.A.F. wave, Corsair & Chamber are the winners for me. Both look fantastic!

Fang looks good, but who asked for Fang? Shocked if he does not come with alternate Wolverine head and hands.

Quentin looks fun, but pretty disappointed he's not in a more "casual punk" look.

The heads on Emma & Monet look tiny. Hope they don't look so disproportionate in person.

Cyclops would/will be ranked with Corsair & Chamber IF he comes with a non-effect head. Not sure I like the "visor smoke" or not yet...

And lastly, SO excited for the Ch'od tease. Please give us ALL the Starjammers!

I have a terrible feeling Hepzibah will go the way of Wolfsbane & Feral...
MentalManipulator
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:13 am

dchimpy wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:11 pm
I was really looking forward to Rogue, but she's a bit a of letdown for me. The hair looks really off. I don't think I've ever seen an illustration of Outback Rogue with hair in front of her face, it's usually swept back in that era from what I recall. It also would've been nice if the boots were a sculpted detail and not just paint.
Yeah, you're right...they could have sculpted the costume but what's off is definitely the hair. Her hairdo vibed much more in the 80's punk aesthetic than this glam Dallas one they gave her.
docsilence
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:22 am

The training uniforms were probably among my first ten comics I ever owned, so I'm all in. Just pure nostalgia for me. I had no idea why they were dressed that way, I had no idea who Gambit was, I was only just getting familiar with Jubilee and Psylocke... I'm gonna love having these figures. And I'm dying for Banshee of course.

I really am an easy mark with X-Men though. I dig the reveals today a lot. With Avengers I always ask: do I need this? With X-Men it's more like: can I even remotely convince myself I DON'T need this?
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:26 am

The more I study this Outback Rogue figure, the less I like it. I'm at the point where I may hang on to my Pyro/Rogue two-pack figure instead.

EnigmaticClarity wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:32 pm
I've heard multiple explanations for how "Oriental" fell out of fashion, but not one that makes complete sense. Historically the Occident is the western world and the Orient is the eastern world,, so how a geographical descriptor ended up becoming a slur is puzzling. :?

Because slurs are cultural not geographical. :?
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:56 am

I was watching the livestream between Zooms today and forgot to mute after saying hi to a boss, and didn't realize every person logging on was hearing the guys talk about Retro Jim Lee X-Men 275 Wolverine until someone said "what are we hearing about Wolverine?" WHOOPS.

:)

Not a fan of most of the headsculpts debuted today, across the board. They mentioned Paul Harding did a lot of these - are they all him? If so, it's official - I don't like his style on Marvel Legends. It's almost like Greg Land's art - it's too close to something real for it to feel right on existing characters. Psylocke looks like a real person and I feel like I can almost place her - but she doesn't look like Psylocke (and the hair is fug). Jubilee's face print is lovely - but doesn't really scream Jubilation to me. Rogue looks like she could be every other woman on the street - completely non-specific but not Rogue. That hair is ripped straight from the J. Scott Campbell variant cover that's on the side of the box (also - why is she not a Retro card release?) - not the version fans have been clamoring for for decades. Emma is unattractive and looks exactly like an updated version of her first Hasbro figure - except oddly realistic and like someone you know but not Emma. Finally, same with M.

Someone else said it, but they all look like cosplayers - they look like Selfie Series versions of comic characters.

And Jubilee STILL doesn't get a new smiling head?! STILL? Forge just looks like he saw something sad.

I don't think I like this level of faceprinting detail on comic figures. :(
mattmurdog
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:58 am

Jubilee, Forge are all old sculpt with photoreal. But I agree with your sentiment on Harding sculpts. He seems to model them off real people over the comic art like Mayshelf (Bishop, Cable). Rogue has that Meggan look where it's not ugly, but also not ideal because they seem like a real person where it borders on uncanny valley.
MarvelLegendsMan
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:32 am

JPC wrote:Not a fan of most of the headsculpts debuted today, across the board. They mentioned Paul Harding did a lot of these - are they all him? If so, it's official - I don't like his style on Marvel Legends. It's almost like Greg Land's art - it's too close to something real for it to feel right on existing characters.

I find Paul Harding's sculpts to be very hit or miss and it is precisely for this reason. Didn't dig the 20th anniversary Hulk face or these new Gambit and Wolverine sculpts. The length of the tongue and the profile of the face on the masked head for the new Venom figure... it's all wrong.

Did he do animated Cyclops? It feels like one of his. I'm a fan of Conan O'Brien, but I don't want my Cyclops to look like him.

Banshee, however, is good. I can't decide on Daredevil. Sometimes I like it, other times I don't.[
JPC wrote:That hair is ripped straight from the J. Scott Campbell variant cover that's on the side of the box (also - why is she not a Retro card release?) - not the version fans have been clamoring for for decades.
Isn't this what Marvel Legends does frequently, though? There are so many Legends based off of one recent cover or panel that is kind of similar, but not close enough to the classic version collectors obviously want.

That new Random figure, the new Molecule Man the failed HasLab Goblin Queen, the recent retro-carded Symbiote Spider-Man and Armored Spider-Man, there are a bunch of other examples of this.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

PurpleLantern
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:47 am

The more I look at Outback Rogue's face and hair, the more I like it. I don't care if it isn't Marc Silvestri art. I'm just really glad it isn't the Jim Lee Retro cardback face or the awful generic female face or Retro Invisible Woman face.

The 275 Psylocke face and hair aren't bad either. I'm sure someone here will redo the paint and make it awesome like Jim Lee art, but I'm cool with it from today's renders.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”