Thought's on the future of Haslab projects?

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
JRoug
Runs Around in Tights

Re: Thought's on the future of Haslab projects?

Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:13 pm

I doubt we'll ever get a multi-pack of figures without one giant anchor piece (even if the anchor is a big fig, like Galactus or Sentinel). A group like Starjammers seems like a Pulsecon or maybe Amazon set. I love the Watcher with Fantasticar idea, but with production costs rising, I expect either of those would be individual haslabs, rather than a combo. Blackbird would be a most wanted in terms of vehicles, but making it to scale would probably mean a $500 piece (at least) now.
100ptsofarticulation
Glass Half Empty
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:18 pm

canprime wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:58 pm
So I watched the round table for the GI Joe HISS Tank Haslab and there was an interesting bit of information that I wish someone had followed up on, and will have some (minor) implications going forward for all Haslab projects.

According to the Joe team (Emily/Lenny) the Hiss was done by the Haslab team and not the Joe team. The Joe team was obviously involved, but the majority of the work was done by the Haslab team. Then they mentioned that the Haslab team would be taking the lead on all future Haslab projects going forward.

So to me that was a bit of a shock as I thought that the different brand teams were responsible for the Haslabs they did. That leads to my wish that someone had followed up about what those comments meant exactly. Was it just for Joe Haslabs? How big is the Haslab team if they have their own designers? How much input does the brand team get in regards to the projects? Do they get final say, or does the Haslab team get final say?

What does that mean for ML going forward? Is this the last Haslab done by the ML team, or will the next one be done by the Haslab team?

Also with the debacle of the Reva Lightsaber, how much input comes from Disney/Marvel? Do they care if it is a comic Haslab versus a MCU Haslab?

If anyone knows I would love to hear what they know. Or with the inevitable upcoming ML Haslab, maybe someone can ask the ML team some of these questions.

As for price I am pretty sure whatever we get it will be no cheaper than $300, maybe $350.
I don't follow star wars, what was the debacle with the Reva lightsaber?

Also I suggested a while back that we compile a list of questions to ask the legends team at SDCC for someone attending the event. But I'm pretty sure I'm on an ignore list at this point, and even if I wasn't yet organizing something like that would be considered a stupid idea.
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:11 pm

100ptsofarticulation wrote:
I don't follow star wars, what was the debacle with the Reva lightsaber?

The Hasbro saber replicas often end up on clearance anyway--much like the Legends role-playing helmets and other items (Stormbreaker, Mjolnir, Eye of Agamotto, etc) do as well--and the ones that don't are the ones attached to popular characters. Reva has NOT turned out to be a popular character. Doing a Haslab on a brand-new character that the team had no idea how she would be received was quite a gamble, and it's a gamble that really appears to have tanked given that with 9 days left it's at 1,307 out of 5,000 backers. Doesn't look like it's going to fund, but we'll see.

The Sith Inquisitors as a whole have more steam than any one of them, so they should have just branded this more generically as a Sith Inquisitor saber since they all use it. But they threw their eggs in the Reva basket, and it was the wrong choice.
JRoug
Runs Around in Tights

Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:12 pm

It's two debacles in a row for Star Wars, the Rancor & Reva's saber. If the Haslab ream is taking over any projects going forward, the Star Wars line is to blame - whoever is pulling the strings on those offerings clearly hasn't got their act together. It could be within Hasbro or coming from Disney, but it echoes the slide of Hasbro Star Wars merch overall - some great stuff but generally longtime/hardcore SW fans are unhappy.
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:18 pm

JRoug wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:12 pm
It's two debacles in a row for Star Wars, the Rancor & Reva's saber. If the Haslab ream is taking over any projects going forward, the Star Wars line is to blame - whoever is pulling the strings on those offerings clearly hasn't got their act together. It could be within Hasbro or coming from Disney, but it echoes the slide of Hasbro Star Wars merch overall - some great stuff but generally longtime/hardcore SW fans are unhappy.

Yea it could be Hasbro or Disney. Based upon the teams they show us on the streams it looks like on the Marvel side Ryan Ting has the most say, and on the Star Wars side it's Patrick Schneider. Dwight has made it sound like Ting makes decisions a few times, but who really knows, so if anyone does know if Ryan and Patrick aren't decision-makers on most items please do share. Plenty of others have input but it looks like Ting and Schneider have the most.

Ironically Patrick Schneider seemed to get a big promotion after the Rancor Haslab failed and is now the "Global Marketing Director" for Star Wars and Indiana Jones. And that title sounds even MORE like he's in charge of what comes out of the line, so if he is then that's two stinkers in a row, or at least one in Reva's lightsaber if someone else made the Rancor mistakes before he was promoted.
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:10 pm

100ptsofarticulation wrote:
Also I suggested a while back that we compile a list of questions to ask the legends team at SDCC for someone attending the event. But I'm pretty sure I'm on an ignore list at this point, and even if I wasn't yet organizing something like that would be considered a stupid idea.
This is why I've never muted anyone - you aren't actually reading the full conversation, and likely only hearing people who agree with you. That way danger lies...

I think we should start an SDCC questions thread - in fact, I will. And I'll add this one to it (because it's a good one).
WTHIOTina
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:53 pm

Do we think a Marvel Haslab will be announced at SDCC?
TFitz
Master of Avatars

Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:00 pm

WTHIOTina wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:53 pm
Do we think a Marvel Haslab will be announced at SDCC?
fin.gif
fin.gif (169.01 KiB) Viewed 366 times

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”