Marvel Legends Deluxe Mojo Set

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Marvel Legends Deluxe Mojo Set

Sat May 28, 2022 8:26 am

I do still enjoy modern books, I just don't like them as much as the stuff I was reading when I was in college. Avengers Academy, a small book that came out of nowhere and didn't intersect with my main Marvel interests, was proof of that.

Zdarsky's Daredevil, most of the modern X-Men stuff, and Immortal Hulk are excellent. I also can't recommend Zdarsky's Spider-Man: Life Stories miniseries highly enough.
Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader

Sat May 28, 2022 2:51 pm

Avengers Academy is modern? It’s from 12 years ago…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
100ptsofarticulation
Glass Half Empty

Sat May 28, 2022 3:01 pm

RoboKillah wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 7:10 am
...is a magic number?
september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 28, 2022 3:16 pm

Akatsuki wrote:Avengers Academy is modern? It’s from 12 years ago…

No one likes this kind of reminder Image

I jumped off around AvX/Marvel Now! and that was a decade ago.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 28, 2022 3:28 pm

Akatsuki wrote:

I'd certainly categorize that book as modern. I never read it, but I know the era.

What delineates the eras? Silver Age is 1960s to early '70s, Bronze Age is mid 1970s to late '80s, Foil Age is 1990s (I think Phineas Curmudgeon may have coined that, or GrownNerd or Lucid Silverback, one of the early fwooshers). What do we even call the Oughts era? And are there more than one era within the past 22 years?
september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 28, 2022 3:36 pm

I feel like the 00’s through 2012 were the swan song of the big crossover. Not sure how I’d give that a fancy name. Marvel certainly seems to be chasing the high of House of M, Avengers Disassembled, Civil War, Annihilation, Messiah Complex, Schism, Siege-Dark Reign since. Hell of a Run. Maybe Age if Ultron, Apider Island/Spider-Verse got close, but Secret Wars seems like the only line-wide event to have made much of an impact lately. Civil War II sounded like a thud, Spider-Man rehashing alternates/Venomverse, and Someone v X is played out.
MarvelLegendsMan
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sat May 28, 2022 4:56 pm

To try and tie this comic book discussion back to Legends, I do think that Hasbro's best bet is to keep this line focused primarily on the 70s-90s nostalgia. Younger generations simply don't have the same bond with comics, and even less with action figures. I know some of you here are exceptions, but I'd bet the majority of posters here are from that 70s-90s generation.

That's not to say the occasional "modern" release is a problem.

For context, I'm in my mid 30s. I grew up in the 90s reading primarily late 70s, 80s, and 90s comics. There are some modern comics I've enjoyed - I love Brubaker Cap, I love Bendis and Brubaker Daredevil. Big fan of Uncanny X-Force. Annihilation and War of Kings was terrific. Better than a lot of the 70s cosmic stuff. I know it's not a great figure, but I have and love the Legends Annihilation-era Nova. I just enjoy that aesthetic. I have most of the Uncanny X-Force figures. I have a Winter Solider figure.

But most of the Marvel (and DC) comics of the last 20 years have been pretty terrible, IMO. Not a big fan of New Avengers or Astonishing X-Men. Civil War was interesting in concept, lackluster in execution. Did not like Dark Reign, Utopia, Schism, Avengers vs X-Men, Seige, etc. I will eventually read all of the Hickman X-Men out of sheer curiosity, but the first phase of it seemed like an overwrought inside joke. Everything about the Spider-Man: Brand New Day thing was terrible. The seemingly endless number of Spiderverse stories, Spider-Island, Morlun...ugh. Didn't care for Superior Spider-Man. Tried reading King in Black, thought it was pretty stupid. Really, I can't think of anything Spider-Man from the last 20 years that I liked. At least they brought my beloved Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider back. But I've heard the plots are awful.

Then there's New X-Men, or as I refer to it, the worst comic books Marvel has ever published. The run that put an end to my time as a regular and avid collector and reader of comics.

You want to like this era, that's your choice. I'm not bringing it up to bash anyone else's interests, but simply to illustrate that if the focus of Legends becomes the modern era, many diehard collectors will probably slow down considerably, if not abandon the line altogether. I'd be interested in a few modern figures here and there, but that's about it. However, I buy the vast majority of the nostalgia bait, especially 80s and 90s. And there is still PLENTY from that era they have not given us. So many alternate attires, villains, B and C level heroes and supporting characters left to do.

I know McFarlane focuses a lot on these modern DC crossovers, and now is starting to release more classic looks and characters. I wonder which figures are selling better.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader

Sat May 28, 2022 5:38 pm

Avengers Disassembled to New Avengers to Civil War to Secret Invasion to Dark Reign to Siege to the Heoric Age to Fear Itself was an amazing ride. I loved those stories.

I still like the extended fight sequences from the classic comics more.

TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Sat May 28, 2022 6:01 pm

Akatsuki wrote:

I should've been more clear. I was using Avengers Academy as an example of a book I read and enjoyed in college.

MarvelLegendsMan wrote:
Then there's New X-Men, or as I refer to it, the worst comic books Marvel has ever published. The run that put an end to my time as a regular and avid collector and reader of comics.

:shock:
Ibentmyman-thing
Shakespeare of Fwoosh

Sat May 28, 2022 6:20 pm

This thread is somehow making me feel young and old at the same time.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 28, 2022 6:30 pm

For anyone curious, this page attempts to outline the reading eras, at least within Marvel's 616. This won't apply to DC since it breaks down based on Marvel storylines AFTER they conclude what they call the Modern Age (which comes after the Bronze Age):

The Golden Age (1939-1956)
The Silver Age (1961-1970)
The Bronze Age (1970-1984)
The Modern Age Begins (1984-1997)
Heroes Relaunched (1997-2004)
Marvel Disassembled (2004-2012)
Marvel NOW! (2012-2015)
All-New All-Different Marvel (2015-2018)
Fresh Start (2018-Current)

https://marvelguides.com/comics-introduction
CTVampSlayer
X-23 gots a boyfriend

Sat May 28, 2022 7:16 pm

MarvelLegendsMan wrote:
To try and tie this comic book discussion back to Legends, I do think that Hasbro's best bet is to keep this line focused primarily on the 70s-90s nostalgia. Younger generations simply don't have the same bond with comics, and even less with action figures. I know some of you here are exceptions, but I'd bet the majority of posters here are from that 70s-90s generation.

That's not to say the occasional "modern" release is a problem.

For context, I'm in my mid 30s. I grew up in the 90s reading primarily late 70s, 80s, and 90s comics. There are some modern comics I've enjoyed - I love Brubaker Cap, I love Bendis and Brubaker Daredevil. Big fan of Uncanny X-Force. Annihilation and War of Kings was terrific. Better than a lot of the 70s cosmic stuff. I know it's not a great figure, but I have and love the Legends Annihilation-era Nova. I just enjoy that aesthetic. I have most of the Uncanny X-Force figures. I have a Winter Solider figure.

But most of the Marvel (and DC) comics of the last 20 years have been pretty terrible, IMO. Not a big fan of New Avengers or Astonishing X-Men. Civil War was interesting in concept, lackluster in execution. Did not like Dark Reign, Utopia, Schism, Avengers vs X-Men, Seige, etc. I will eventually read all of the Hickman X-Men out of sheer curiosity, but the first phase of it seemed like an overwrought inside joke. Everything about the Spider-Man: Brand New Day thing was terrible. The seemingly endless number of Spiderverse stories, Spider-Island, Morlun...ugh. Didn't care for Superior Spider-Man. Tried reading King in Black, thought it was pretty stupid. Really, I can't think of anything Spider-Man from the last 20 years that I liked. At least they brought my beloved Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider back. But I've heard the plots are awful.

You want to like this era, that's your choice. I'm not bringing it up to bash anyone else's interests, but simply to illustrate that if the focus of Legends becomes the modern era, many diehard collectors will probably slow down considerably, if not abandon the line altogether. I'd be interested in a few modern figures here and there, but that's about it. However, I buy the vast majority of the nostalgia bait, especially 80s and 90s. And there is still PLENTY from that era they have not given us. So many alternate attires, villains, B and C level heroes and supporting characters left to do.

I know McFarlane focuses a lot on these modern DC crossovers, and now is starting to release more classic looks and characters. I wonder which figures are selling better.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ah, yes. The classic "Only what I like is valid, everything else is bad and does not deserve representation" take.
TinkerersAssistant02
Avengers Assemble

Sat May 28, 2022 7:26 pm

NORM wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 6:30 pm
For anyone curious, this page attempts to outline the reading eras, at least within Marvel's 616. This won't apply to DC since it breaks down based on Marvel storylines AFTER they conclude what they call the Modern Age (which comes after the Bronze Age):

The Golden Age (1939-1956)
The Silver Age (1961-1970)
The Bronze Age (1970-1984)
The Modern Age Begins (1984-1997)
Heroes Relaunched (1997-2004)
Marvel Disassembled (2004-2012)
Marvel NOW! (2012-2015)
All-New All-Different Marvel (2015-2018)
Fresh Start (2018-Current)

https://marvelguides.com/comics-introduction
I like that breakdown. That actually really ties in with my getting out in '97, and the end of my secondary source/semi-attention-paying period in '04 or so. The Marvel Disassembled period to present is what I'm largely clueless about, and why most figures from those years fail to grab my interest. I'd be mildly interested in Golden Age figures, but Silver, Bronze, & "Modern" are definitely where it's at for me. 61-97 precisely covers the comics I'm familiar with.
H-bird
hbwrdlngiv, after secondary mutation

Sat May 28, 2022 9:18 pm

My interest in Marvel is overwhelmingly towards the classic, and I want them to go deep - I won’t be happy until I have a figure of every d-list villain who showed up more than 3 times. I haven’t read comics regularly in a while, though I will read specific arcs eventually if people are still talking them up - Jason Aaron’s Thor and Hickman’s X-Men being recent examples. Personally I like getting modern characters in the line, because it always makes me go and learn a bit about a character I likely wouldn’t know otherwise. Sometimes that means reading a few runs that I really end up enjoying, like I did when Kamala Khan and Sam Alexander Nova were announced. Other times that means reading a Wikipedia entry and deciding I probably don’t really need to read the book (looking at you, Knull). But I like having modern figures in the line because I’m invested in the Marvel U, and Legends helps keep me up to speed when I’m not reading the books regularly.

I also think we tend to underestimate how well figures we aren’t personally interested in will perform. I remember a lot of griping about Red Goblin and Superior Venom when they were announced, and how nobody wanted those looks. Those two get more on the aftermarket than most of their wave mates. Maybe some of those sales come from people who aren’t the regular “die-hard” ML collectors, and maybe that’s a good thing for the health and longevity of the line.
Storm of the Vale
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 28, 2022 10:51 pm

I mostly focus on certain Eras of Marvel comic looks for each character or group;

For X-Men it's the Claremont Era, though I do sprinkle in a bit of 90s stuff based on the cartoon.
For Daredevil it'd probably be Frank Miller, though I don't mind some of Nocenti's work too with the characters
X-Force, It's Remender's Uncanny X-Force.
Spider-Man it's mostly 90s Animated character based, though I don't mind some of the classic comic stuff from the start to the early 90s.

Most other things are based on the Capcom Games & 90s Cartoons I grew up with.
We all have Eras we like to collect, some may be all? Others may be specific, everyone has their own thing.

I'm more of a classic guy, so I collect that Era, if you want to collect things only Modern or everything, it's all up to you.
It should be about getting what you want in the end.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”