Marvel Legends Deluxe Mojo Set

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Marvel Legends Deluxe Mojo Set

Fri May 27, 2022 9:24 pm

I think it's impossible to generalize with folks of all ages and 80+ years of comic canon to draw from.

I'm 29, and my era is about what you'd expect. I still read some Marvel books, but I'm not as drawn to the stories or costume designs as I was before. That's part nostalgia and part me not totally vibing with the current stable of creatives at Marvel and DC.

My peak readership/nostalgia is from 2001 to 2015. I love New X-Men, Cable and Deadpool, Astonishing X-Men, New Avengers, Annihilation (and associated cosmic crossovers), Immortal Iron Fist, Brubaker Cap, (basically all) Daredevil, Civil War, Hickman's FF, Fraction's Hawkeye, Remender's Uncanny X-Force, and Straczynski and Aaron Thor.

As a reader of that era, I feel like my wants aren't as extensive as other decades. The New and Astonishing X-Men, a decent Cable, a New Avengers Luke Cage, a decent red Daredevil, the Future Foundation, a Coipel Thor, and Extremis Iron Man would go a long way. (My interests are probably a bit different than the average ML fan, though. I generally display characters in my favorite costume they've worn rather than focusing on any particular era.)

I think Legends is at its best when it's covering a wide swath of characters from various books and eras. My stomach turns a little at the '90s X-Men love, but that's just because we're running out of X-Men waves before the inevitable MCU takeover. I feel like we've covered most of the major '90s players. You'll never convince me that the training uniforms should be made before the Astonishing team.

Hasbro should start finishing teams, though. They'd earn goodwill if they'd wrap up teams that were a member of two away from completion. The Thunderbolts and Superior Foes come to mind.
seditionary
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 27, 2022 9:29 pm

100ptsofarticulation wrote:
seditionary wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 8:32 pm
Honestly, I’m with you, Norm. Im almost out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's unfortunate man!

See I don't want out, I want the line to go on forever honestly. But there is just a lot of filler stuff that you're forced to buy to get what you actually want or they make you re-buy something that should've been done right the first time at an even higher price.

And I get that "that's the way it's always been" but I've said numerous times in the past - it's not the right economic climate to be doing that.

Again, instead of making stuff that only appeals to the few, let's just focus on the stuff that needs completing, or is way overdue.
Im with you. I don’t want the line to ever die. But I’m losing my mojo.

Ive liked seeing hasbro make improvements over time. Ive got black spidey and us agent on preorder for 22.99 to check out those bodies and those are easy to preorder and obtain. Thats a fun part of this line.

But the last few things ive really wanted were a pain in my ass to obtain and justify spending on
Calisto (wolverine)
jean (love triangle)
rictor (x force)
Bonebreaker (entire wave I’ll resell minus havok)

I can understand not having faith in most of those as single releases or whatever but I just feel like it’s kind of a drag at times. Add star wars deluxe figures and damn. Like I don’t want to feel like i have to rely on the secondary market OR it would be nice if not every release i really gravitated towards felt like I was having my wallet squeezed by hasbro.

I guess I’ve become even more of a cherry picker with legends and with collecting in general. I am mostly a DC fan and I just appreciate what mcfarlane is doing with his price point more than hasbro is with marvel and star wars. Even if I don’t buy a ton of his based on character and story selection. I know thats another discussion and theres reasons he can do it. But the feeling bleeds over to my other collecting regardless.

ditko
Thread Killer

Fri May 27, 2022 9:37 pm

TheSameIdiot wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 9:24 pm
I think it's impossible to generalize with folks of all ages and 80+ years of comic canon to draw from.

I'm 29, and my era is about what you'd expect. I still read some Marvel books, but I'm not as drawn to the stories or costume designs as I was before. That's part nostalgia and part me not totally vibing with the current stable of creatives at Marvel and DC.

My peak readership/nostalgia is from 2001 to 2015. I love New X-Men, Cable and Deadpool, Astonishing X-Men, New Avengers, Annihilation (and associated cosmic crossovers), Immortal Iron Fist, Brubaker Cap, (basically all) Daredevil, Civil War, Hickman's FF, Fraction's Hawkeye, Remender's Uncanny X-Force, and Straczynski and Aaron Thor.

As a reader of that era, I feel like my wants aren't as extensive as other decades. The New and Astonishing X-Men, a decent Cable, a New Avengers Luke Cage, a decent red Daredevil, the Future Foundation, a Coipel Thor, and Extremis Iron Man would go a long way. (My interests are probably a bit different than the average ML fan, though. I generally display characters in my favorite costume they've worn rather than focusing on any particular era.)

I was in the same spot at 29 - I didn't embrace the new stuff so much and stuck to my guns with what I grew up with. However after quite a while I said eff it and found a way to embrace some new stuff (while still loving the old). I will say I dig this Donny Cates guy. Knull, Starship Hulk, King Thor are all great looking figures and really good reads. This new Iron Man is probably the best yet.

Granted, I have been out of Legends for 3-4 years so you might be gassed while I have fresh legs but I honestly believe there's a LOT of life left in this line. It's looking damn good again. Yes to Extremis and hell yes to CABLE. I want a new body for X-Men:TAS and/or an X-Tinction Agenda wave.

I would really like a redo of Sentry too along with that era of Thunderbolts and Dark Avengers. And a tactical Cap. As a sidebar.
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face

Fri May 27, 2022 11:04 pm

I’m 38 and k tend to enjoy all eras of comics, except for the current eras. It’s just so hard to read stuff now when the current trend is to push the envelope with event books or reboots rather than to tell good monthly stories and build solid character arcs and have real moments. It’s never going to feel like anything I read matters if some executive at Marvel or DC is looking at their sales projections and decides with but one company wide email, the whole publishing division as to be refocused from the ground up or that the continuity in the books needs another crisis style event because Marvel did this, or DC did that, and no one is allowed to give or gain an inch in this inter-company tug of war.

Honestly I feel like the best stories were still told in the 70’s and 80’s when stand alone monthly issues were king. And even back in the 1990’s when event books were brand new, at the very least, the intention was always to tell good stories that had a beginning, middle and end. Even if the stories ran a little long (I.E. Clone Saga and Knightfal)l, at, the very least there is a sense of progression. There is an Act 1, Act 2, Interlude, Act 3, Climax and Epilogue. Your basic story structure is all right there,neatly wrapped up and tidy. But with stories that are published today as I said, there is more focus on simply being the most bombastic, or the most edgy, or the most trending on Twitter or some blog and it’s just seems like it’s become too transactional to me. Comics as a whole are never going to survive if this is the path that publishers want it to go.

NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 27, 2022 11:08 pm

panther10 wrote:
I’m 38 and k tend to enjoy all eras of comics, except for the current eras. It’s just so hard to read stuff now when the current trend is to push the envelope with event books or reboots rather than to tell good monthly stories and build solid character arcs and have real moments. It’s never going to feel like anything I read matters if some executive at Marvel or DC is looking at their sales projections and decides with but one company wide email, the whole publishing division as to be refocused from the ground up or that the continuity in the books needs another crisis style event because Marvel did this, or DC did that, and no one is allowed to give or gain an inch in this inter-company tug of war.

Honestly I feel like the best stories were still told in the 70’s and 80’s when stand alone monthly issues were king. And even back in the 1990’s when event books were brand new, at the very least, the intention was always to tell good stories that had a beginning, middle and end. Even if the stories ran a little long (I.E. Clone Saga and Knightfal)l, at, the very least there is a sense of progression. There is an Act 1, Act 2, Interlude, Act 3, Climax and Epilogue. Your basic story structure is all right there,neatly wrapped up and tidy. But with stories that are published today as I said, there is more focus on simply being the most bombastic, or the most edgy, or the most trending on Twitter or some blog and it’s just seems like it’s become too transactional to me. Comics as a whole are never going to survive if this is the path that publishers want it to go.

And this is where the tangent becomes "yuck someone else's yum". Everyone else just talks about what they like. This one has to point out what he doesn't like about stuff other people clearly like. Tons of fun.
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face

Fri May 27, 2022 11:45 pm

NORM wrote:
panther10 wrote:

And this is where the tangent becomes "yuck someone else's yum". Everyone else just talks about what they like. This one has to point out what he doesn't like about stuff other people clearly like. Tons of fun.
I’m not trying to say that no one is allowed to like modern comics because of the reasons I listed. I’m just saying those tend to be the reasons why I steer clear from modern comics and why I enjoy older comics. If you handed me two boxes of comics and the box on the left only had books that were printed from 2010-2020 and the other box on the right had a bunch of reprints from 1940-1995, I’m taking that box on the right home. Because there’s bound to be some gems in there that I want to read. I have file cabinets and book cases full of the exact same stuff at home as I type this so yes, that box with the mixed bag of older comics has my name on it. I’ve tried taking a chance on current stuff but never to the point where I want to go back month to month. It just doesn’t do anything for me.

NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 27, 2022 11:54 pm

panther10 wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 11:45 pm
NORM wrote:
panther10 wrote:

I’m not trying to say that no one is allowed to like modern comics because of the reasons I listed. I’m just saying those tend to be the reasons why I steer clear from modern comics and why I enjoy older comics. If you handed me two boxes of comics and the box on the left only had books that were printed from 2010-2020 and the other box on the right had a bunch of reprints from 1940-1995, I’m taking that box on the right home. Because there’s bound to be some gems in there that I want to read. I have file cabinets and book cases full of the exact same stuff at home as I type this so yes, that box with the mixed bag of older comics has my name on it. I’ve tried taking a chance on current stuff but never to the point where I want to go back month to month. It just doesn’t do anything for me.

Fair enough. I saw my original post and I called Silver and Bronze age dialogue hokey. So I guess I'm guilty of yucking.
ditko
Thread Killer

Sat May 28, 2022 12:40 am

I went to a Comic Show last weekend and got what I had my eyes on, or at least part of it - Thor 1 and Hulk 1, both Cates' books and the dealer there brought me AMZ Spider-man 1 too. I loved all 3. It makes getting the new Legends more fun and gives me some new adds to my "want list"

If there's 3-5 books currently on stands that I find myself enjoying then that's a "good era" for me. I will never tire of 90s stuff like X-Men either so if that keeps coming (or 80's) then it's even better. These figures are now better than imports as far as I can tell. Subjective, but I think it's a realistic statement.
captaincracker
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 28, 2022 12:51 am

I'm 44 and grew up with two favorite comics in the mid 80's; X-Factor and West Coast Avengers. I went on to be a big comic fan in general for a while, but I was also really into the Outback era X-Men, New Mutants and Spiderman when McFarlane took over. Those stories are still some of my favorites to this day. Unlike many here, I read the "Jim Lee era" X-Men, but liked the stuff before the new book much better and I have no nostalgia for those costumes or stories.

With regards to more modern(ish) stuff, I really loved the Bendis and Brubaker Daredevil runs as well as Brubaker's Cap and Astonishing X-Men. I don't think I've read a Marvel comic at all from at least the past 5 years.

I have been seriously cutting back on this line for years, but would personally love to complete the Inferno X-Factor team one day. All I'd need is Jean and Beast, so I feel like we're so close.

As far as this set, I wanted to pass due to price, but I must have read Mojo Mayhem at least 10 times and I always loved that story so I caved.
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Sat May 28, 2022 2:09 am

Please tell me people don't actually use the phrase "yucking someone's yum" in daily conversation.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Sat May 28, 2022 2:16 am

I've really enjoyed reading this discussion. So cool to see where everyone is coming from in their collecting and the background in comics that informs that collecting.

I was reading comics in the late '80s through to kind of the end of the Animated Series Era (TM), taking a break until the mid-2000s or so? I wasn't even actively reading comics, for the most part, during the first four years or so that I was buying Marvel Legends, ironically. But I do still read comics and I find I can still develop really strong attractions to certain characters or costumes if I really like the story -- like Coipel Thor. It's fair that -most- of my really big wants come from the '90s, but that's also where the majority of my comic fandom springs from, so that makes sense.

But as long as I'm still reading comics, I can't imagine there being a time when I don't have interest in buying new comic figures. Even if Hasbro dropped every '90s character, and every '90s costume, in action figure form right now, there would still be stuff that I wanted. And given the constantly evolving toy industry, it's almost the nature of the beast that I'll never be fully satisfied with a collection because the oldest figures in the collection can almost -always- stand to be updated.
Hell, some of them could stand to be updated the second they get released. Looking at you, Shatterstar.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 28, 2022 2:40 am

Enforcer wrote:
Please tell me people don't actually use the phrase "yucking someone's yum" in daily conversation.
It’s not about the saying, it’s about the meaning, which clearly, you don’t get.
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Sat May 28, 2022 2:43 am

NORM wrote:
Enforcer wrote:
It’s not about the saying, it’s about the meaning, which clearly, you don’t get.
The meaning seems simple enough. The phrase is... lol
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 28, 2022 2:44 am

Enforcer wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 2:43 am
NORM wrote:
Enforcer wrote:
The meaning seems simple enough. The phrase is... lol
Sure. Thanks for chiming in!
RoboKillah
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 28, 2022 7:10 am

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”