Marvel Legends Deluxe Mojo Set

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Marvel Legends Deluxe Mojo Set

Fri May 27, 2022 3:04 am

100ptsofarticulation wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 12:26 am
NORM wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 8:04 pm
No more wasting time on redos and new teams. Complete what's left to complete.
Whoah! I suggested something similar a few weeks ago and got chastised for it. I'm surprised someone actually agrees with anything I say here.
Well, I said the same thing maybe 6 months ago - and I felt there are two good reasons to prioritize completing the major teams, especially those from the earlier days of Marvel.

One is that as they move to pinless joints and the digital face painting, I am concerned that the longer it takes Hasbro to get to a figure to complete a team the more likely the aesthetics of the figures will not match well with the past releases, similar to how mixing ToyBiz with current MLs has issues, and the first few years of the Hasbro MLs don't work with the current stuff either. I look at the recent Shadowcat and Jean Grey figures as examples of this - they fit with more modern looks by choice, and kind of work as older versions, but not perfectly.

Two is that the "nostalgia wave" is moving to eras well past the 70's and 80's and soon will move past the 90's. When I talk about wanting Banshee and Angel from the 70's/80's Uncanny X-Men, or Marrina from Alpha Flight, that's because I have nostalgia for those teams and characters as I read the stories as they came out. But unless you are close to 50, you were likely exposed to that era as back issues, after the fact, and it is likely your era of X-Men is further along (like the Jim Lee period or much more recent, like House/Power/Dawn of X). Hasbro needs to be hooking the folks in their 20's and early 30's who follow the current comics or who were kid or teen comic readers when Vulcan and Darwin were introduced and that is their X-Men, and I am glad they are making those figures for those fans.

In other words, I think they should view those of us who have been collecting Legends since the start of the line 20 years ago as needing closure in some areas - finish off the looks from pre-2000 eras that many of us want to see done while the figures all work together, and position the future line as more current by focusing on the last 20 years of looks. Its also kind of fair to the long term supporters of the line - many of whom would continue with the more modern looks - to tie up some loose ends.
yojoebro82
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 27, 2022 3:20 am

NORM wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 2:26 am
yojoebro82 wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 12:44 am
NORM wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 8:04 pm
At these prices, and their steady increase, they gotta start thinking about ending the line! Just make Banshee, Yellowjacket, Skurge the Executioner, X-Factor Wolfsbane, and call it a day. No more wasting time on redos and new teams. Complete what's left to complete.
This post is begging everyone to reply with their wishlists. You left out a character someone has been waiting years for and suggested the line end before getting it?!?!?! They won't be able to let it go unanswered. No, sir! For example, I personally want Excalibur Phoenix, but that's just one character, there are some that want 50+.
People will just have to agree to my wishlist. I’ll throw in your Rachel Grey Phoenix tho.
Yeah, in that case, wrap up the line. I'm good with that list too.
fingfangfoom
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 27, 2022 3:26 am

JPC wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 1:13 am
Finally realized who Longshot's portrait reminds me of:

Bullseye:

Couldn't find an exact image, but the resemblance and attitude are definitely there aside from the blue/brown eyes.
I see Denis Leary
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face

Fri May 27, 2022 3:57 am

sepster wrote:
Ibentmyman-thing wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 1:54 am
H-bird wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 12:55 am
why on earth is Colossus wearing jeans?

Those are his mutant jeans.

I'll see myself out...

I would be embarrassed to reveal how many reads it took me for this to click....
Well you are using a mouse so I guess clicking makes sense….

I’ll be right next to Benty on that long uncomfortable drive home if anyone needs me…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nebraska
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 27, 2022 8:55 am

I don't want ML to end & I do think the line could continue for another 10 years at least. However, I do think teams that have been started should be completed so new teams can be started. Collectors who favor the 60's, 70's, & 80's are getting older. Soon they will be out of the game. As a 80's & 90's collector, I personally want my wants complete so Hasbro can focus on the 2000's. Pretty soon that Era is going to be nostalgic for younger collectors as others age out. I don't want to wait another 5 years for Banshee, Blob, Avalanche, Feral, Starjammers, etc.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TheeCollector
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 27, 2022 11:48 am

If the line ended, then you wouldn’t be able to rebuy the same figures you already have. They’re going to put articulated toe joints on them, y’all!!
Mark_Bowen
Runs Around in Tights

Fri May 27, 2022 2:09 pm

fac wrote:
Two is that the "nostalgia wave" is moving to eras well past the 70's and 80's and soon will move past the 90's. When I talk about wanting Banshee and Angel from the 70's/80's Uncanny X-Men, or Marrina from Alpha Flight, that's because I have nostalgia for those teams and characters as I read the stories as they came out. But unless you are close to 50, you were likely exposed to that era as back issues, after the fact, and it is likely your era of X-Men is further along (like the Jim Lee period or much more recent, like House/Power/Dawn of X). Hasbro needs to be hooking the folks in their 20's and early 30's who follow the current comics or who were kid or teen comic readers when Vulcan and Darwin were introduced and that is their X-Men, and I am glad they are making those figures for those fans.

In other words, I think they should view those of us who have been collecting Legends since the start of the line 20 years ago as needing closure in some areas - finish off the looks from pre-2000 eras that many of us want to see done while the figures all work together, and position the future line as more current by focusing on the last 20 years of looks. Its also kind of fair to the long term supporters of the line - many of whom would continue with the more modern looks - to tie up some loose ends.
Nebraska wrote:
Collectors who favor the 60's, 70's, & 80's are getting older. Soon they will be out of the game. As a 80's & 90's collector, I personally want my wants complete so Hasbro can focus on the 2000's. Pretty soon that Era is going to be nostalgic for younger collectors as others age out.

I think I'm in in the demographic of new/er comics readers than you both are referring to, and while I very much appreciate your two's consideration, if my experience is at all broadly applicable to my peers (and those younger), then we might not need the era-specific focus you speak of.

For context, I was born in '94, have loved Spider-Man and the Avengers for as long as I can remember, and learned to read and subsequently started reading comics at age 6.

By the time I was reading more comics in middle school—in '06—trade paperbacks had fully taken off. The majority of the comics I read were in collections at the Borders bookstore (RIP), and then Barnes & Noble after they went out of business. Those stores might as well have been libraries. By the end of high school I was tech-proficient enough to pirate comics (no more being in the way of bookstore employees to read free comics!), and not much later, Marvel Unlimited came out.

Which is a long walk to say this: my generation didn't need a cool older brother/cousin/rich friend to have access to comics too old to still be found on the spinner rack, and thus we (well, *I*) don't really have an allegiance to any one decade of comics. The barrier of entry to comics was higher for us, because unlike you more seasoned readers, the only comics that could be found in groceries or 7-11's were Archie digests, yes, but once we did somehow get brought into the fold, we could as easily read Ditko/Lee Amazing Spider-Man (I remember bringing the Masterworks collections in to 5th grade!) as we could the '80s Peter David Spectacular Spider-Man (which I had a hefty chunk of in those black & white Essentials phonebook-style collections), or the then-current Straczynski ASM TPBs.

So Hasbro couldn't really pander to me by tailoring their character selection to an era, since no one era ever imprinted on me. And I feel like that applies going forward, too; that, since we were allowed to grow up with such a broad spectrum of comics, our palettes are more expansive and comics that come after ‘our’ time are more likely to still appeal to us than perhaps they are to older readers, who were maybe more likely to have their tastes and ideas of what a comic is supposed to look like ossify in their youths.

It goes without saying that this is all generalizing, of course, since we're talking about demographics. I'm well aware of which Gen X posters here still read new stuff!

(All of which might be moot anyway, because even with record-breaking blockbuster film franchises making household names out of former D-listers like Iron Man and Dr. Strange, comic books have continued to be unsuccessful in growing the readership; they're largely kept alive by the same aging group of die-hards that have stuck with them since the speculator bubble burst in the '90s. The demographic shift to consider there, I fear, isn't from “one generation of fans to the next,” but from “one generation of fans to the grave end.“)
CTVampSlayer
X-23 gots a boyfriend

Fri May 27, 2022 2:19 pm

I'm 30 and Hasbro could absolutely successfully pander to me with 2000 - 2010 era figures (and beyond). Grant Morrison's New X-Men, Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, Bendis' House of M + New Avengers, and the Ultimate Marvel Universe were what I read when I first started reading comics and they're some of my favorite eras for that reason. Blue Marvel has been on my Top Ten list for years and I'm thrilled we're finally getting him.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 27, 2022 2:42 pm

CTVampSlayer wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 2:19 pm
I'm 30 and Hasbro could absolutely successfully pander to me with 2000 - 2010 era figures (and beyond). Grant Morrison's New X-Men, Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, Bendis' House of M + New Avengers, and the Ultimate Marvel Universe were what I read when I first started reading comics and they're some of my favorite eras for that reason. Blue Marvel has been on my Top Ten list for years and I'm thrilled we're finally getting him.
I'm 44 and this is the exact era I'm most familiar with and have the most affinity for. I started reading comics in the '90s with Jim Lee's Adjectiveless, but followed him to Image/Wildstorm and abandoned Marvel until the Bendis era. I've never read any of the classic Silver or Bronze age stuff and honestly don't want to because I can't stand that hokey dialogue. I do recognize its importance to the overall lore and industry, so I don't ignore it. I acknowledge and pay tribute to it with my collection. Just because I'm part of an older generation, doesn't mean I automatically have done and appreciate all that was popular to that generation. It doesn't exclude me from what younger generations (or older generations) enjoy. I'm too young to have lived through Elvis Presley, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy his music.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 27, 2022 3:03 pm

Mark_Bowen wrote:

I think I'm in in the demographic of new/er comics readers than you both are referring to, and while I very much appreciate your two's consideration, if my experience is at all broadly applicable to my peers (and those younger), then we might not need the era-specific focus you speak of.

Which is a long walk to say this: my generation didn't need a cool older brother/cousin/rich friend to have access to comics too old to still be found on the spinner rack, and thus we (well, *I*) don't really have an allegiance to any one decade of comics. The barrier of entry to comics was higher for us, because unlike you more seasoned readers, the only comics that could be found in groceries or 7-11's were Archie digests, yes, but once we did somehow get brought into the fold, we could as easily read Ditko/Lee Amazing Spider-Man (I remember bringing the Masterworks collections in to 5th grade!) as we could the '80s Peter David Spectacular Spider-Man (which I had a hefty chunk of in those black & white Essentials phonebook-style collections), or the then-current Straczynski ASM TPBs.
I appreciate that insight. It's true when I was getting into comics, the options for reading the past issues were very limited unless you wanted to buy back issues, and the concept of reading a whole storyline or a few years at a time via a 1,000 page book (let alone digitally, which didn't exist) was a dream I had and not reality. Kind of how binge watching and on-demand wasn't a thing for old TV shows then, so you had to hope for reruns or focus on new shows.

My first full exposure to the 60's and early 70's material was when the Masterworks program started, which hit just as I started working during HS so I was able to buy the Masterworks as they came out. But even with that, my main affinity is with the stuff that was ongoing when I was a teen/college, in terms of nostalgia. Still I get your point - true comic fans tend to work backwards as well as follow the current, and now more than ever the ability to read classic runs is easy, like choosing classic books or movies or albums.

But I can only speak for myself that I am not up on the current stuff in the comics, so ML is slowly moving away from me (apart from the MCU stuff, where I am engaged) - which is fine as I said, and I think makes sense.

I'll me more specific in my suggestion - I think a wave or two focused on remaining major 60s to early 80s X-Men looks should be on the docket (as well that era Avengers and FF and so on). Like mixing MCU and comic, mixing 1970's and 2010's looks in the same BAF wave may really be targeting different groups of collectors.
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 27, 2022 6:11 pm

I agree with the sentiment that it would really be nice of Hasbro to produce the few remaining "classic" characters sooner than later. It's really annoying when companies don't make ONE character from a franchise - Riley from Buffy, Gunn from Angel, Ezri Dax from DS9, Toy Biz Jean f'in Grey, ad infinitum - and it feels at this point that Hasbro is actively avoiding certain characters to not complete teams. And I always maintain that recent Star Trek lines failed in large part due to the main seven/nine crew members not being released/announced up front. People like us want everyone, and we'll commit IF the company commits as well.

Which makes me not want to start teams if Hasbro is going to just dangle them piecemeal in front of me. What happened to the Thunderbolts? Last one was in 2020. Serpent Society - 2019 (I'm personally fine with this one). Alpha Flight is one to two members away from completion - why not just complete it? Marrina getting released five years after the boxset really just... sucks.

Will some people quit the line once they get the last three they need? Yes. But giving those collectors a complete collection would be an incredible feat and a complete collection is much more enticing to collectors old AND NEW than one that is missing one character. It's why long-running TV series deserve a finale - an ending increases the value of the entire package.
TinkerersAssistant02
Avengers Assemble

Fri May 27, 2022 6:33 pm

Mark_Bowen wrote:
fac wrote:

Nebraska wrote:
Collectors who favor the 60's, 70's, & 80's are getting older. Soon they will be out of the game. As a 80's & 90's collector, I personally want my wants complete so Hasbro can focus on the 2000's. Pretty soon that Era is going to be nostalgic for younger collectors as others age out.

For context, I was born in '94, have loved Spider-Man and the Avengers for as long as I can remember, and learned to read and subsequently started reading comics at age 6.

By the time I was reading more comics in middle school—in '06—trade paperbacks had fully taken off. The majority of the comics I read were in collections at the Borders bookstore (RIP), and then Barnes & Noble after they went out of business. Those stores might as well have been libraries. By the end of high school I was tech-proficient enough to pirate comics (no more being in the way of bookstore employees to read free comics!), and not much later, Marvel Unlimited came out.

So Hasbro couldn't really pander to me by tailoring their character selection to an era, since no one era ever imprinted on me. And I feel like that applies going forward, too; that, since we were allowed to grow up with such a broad spectrum of comics, our palettes are more expansive and comics that come after ‘our’ time are more likely to still appeal to us than perhaps they are to older readers, who were maybe more likely to have their tastes and ideas of what a comic is supposed to look like ossify in their youths.

It goes without saying that this is all generalizing, of course, since we're talking about demographics. I'm well aware of which Gen X posters here still read new stuff!

(All of which might be moot anyway, because even with record-breaking blockbuster film franchises making household names out of former D-listers like Iron Man and Dr. Strange, comic books have continued to be unsuccessful in growing the readership; they're largely kept alive by the same aging group of die-hards that have stuck with them since the speculator bubble burst in the '90s. The demographic shift to consider there, I fear, isn't from “one generation of fans to the next,” but from “one generation of fans to the grave end.“)
To throw my perspective into the mix, I'm 40, started getting Marvel comics through a variety of means in the mid-80s (including plenty of back issues from the 60s & 70s), and then gave up in '97 after a few not-so-great years of material overall. Haven't bought a single Marvel book for myself since, in all honesty. I kind of followed the major happenings, and Spidey (my fave) in a little more detail, up until about 2003 or '04 from conversations with friends and occasionally checking online. But around that time I really stopped paying much attention, so the last nearly 20 years are pretty unknown to me. Which I'm fine with, as the books themselves, whether good or bad I couldn't say, just never regained my interest.

(Having read nearly every Spidey issue from the start until '97 really colors what I like most from classic Marvel.)

So that carries over to Legends for me by focusing on releases based on material from the 60s-90s. Yes, alas, I am one of that dreaded 60s-90s only type. And I'm quite ossified in my preferences. I have just under 500 figures from 2012 to now, most of which are based on the "classic" looks from my preferred decades, with a smattering of newer looks that are either pretty similar to an older look or one that I happen to like for the character for one reason or another. I'm in it though for pretty much any character, as long as they existed prior to 2000 or so. Which means I still have a ridiculously massive wishlist for the first roughly 35-40 years of Marvel. Really talking about basically any character. Hero, villain, and everything betwixt. Especially never-been-dones and those that were last done before 2012.

If Legends ever were to drift heavily into the last 2 decades for the comic figures, I'd become much less interested in the line. At least with the Mojoverse set getting me Longshot, the only huge holes left to me for X members are Banshee and Rachel. There are plenty, and I mean plenty, of others I'd like to see happen (including a few more specific versions/looks for already released characters), but those would be the big two.
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 27, 2022 7:24 pm

Comic popularity has gone up and down over the years, but I feel like for action figures, the popularity has only gone down. I don't have kids of my own, but I do have nephews, and what I see with them, they really don't care about action figures at all. They like LEGOs, but beyond that, they're a lot more into their Nintendo Switch and their tablets. Figures just don't appeal to them in the same way. They love super-heroes, but would rather play with their Spider-Man LEGO sets or as Spidey in Marvel Ultimate Alliance than play with their Spider-Man Marvel Legends. I don't see them having a strong desire to collect figures once they get into their 20s or 30s.

I feel like people who were kids between the mid '70s to the mid '90s, action figures were marketed towards us in a major way. Particularly in the '80s, everything was just a commercial to sell toys. All those cartoons we loved, Masters of the Universe, Thundercats, Transformers, GI Joe, Real Ghostbusters, Ninja Turtles.. all of those shows were only made to sell toys to kids. Even in comics, like the Secret Wars crossover was only created to sell toys. But for younger kids, action figures weren't as big a part of their childhoods as they were a part of ours. Similar to how older generations before us were really big into model trains and our generation couldn't care less about them. I think once we age out, action figure sales will dip.
Mark_Bowen
Runs Around in Tights

Fri May 27, 2022 8:44 pm

fac wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 3:03 pm
Warning! FRAT! :
Mark_Bowen wrote:

I appreciate that insight. It's true when I was getting into comics, the options for reading the past issues were very limited unless you wanted to buy back issues, and the concept of reading a whole storyline or a few years at a time via a 1,000 page book (let alone digitally, which didn't exist) was a dream I had and not reality. Kind of how binge watching and on-demand wasn't a thing for old TV shows then, so you had to hope for reruns or focus on new shows.

My first full exposure to the 60's and early 70's material was when the Masterworks program started, which hit just as I started working during HS so I was able to buy the Masterworks as they came out. But even with that, my main affinity is with the stuff that was ongoing when I was a teen/college, in terms of nostalgia. Still I get your point - true comic fans tend to work backwards as well as follow the current, and now more than ever the ability to read classic runs is easy, like choosing classic books or movies or albums.

But I can only speak for myself that I am not up on the current stuff in the comics, so ML is slowly moving away from me (apart from the MCU stuff, where I am engaged) - which is fine as I said, and I think makes sense.

I'll me more specific in my suggestion - I think a wave or two focused on remaining major 60s to early 80s X-Men looks should be on the docket (as well that era Avengers and FF and so on). Like mixing MCU and comic, mixing 1970's and 2010's looks in the same BAF wave may really be targeting different groups of collectors.

I didn't mean to imply that not having a continuing interest in newer stuff makes someone any less ‘true’ of a fan than someone who does—I was barely into my 20s before I reached the point where I stopped being actively interested in finding new (to me) music, so I get it!—I only meant that nobody should put themselves out to pasture on my part. If someone wants a Banshee already so that they can close the book and finally get out of the game, that's cool! The point I was really trying to make is that you wizened grayhairs don't need to completely clear out to make room for us young bucks since we want all the stuff you do (we just also want the newer stuff, too)!

Handsome wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 7:24 pm
Comic popularity has gone up and down over the years, but I feel like for action figures, the popularity has only gone down. [...] I feel like people who were kids between the mid '70s to the mid '90s, action figures were marketed towards us in a major way. [...] I think once we age out, action figure sales will dip.

I had originally said much the same in my last post, but I took it out since it was already pretty long without it. I wouldn't bet the farm on it, but as it stands, I'm fairly convinced action figure collecting is mostly just a Gen X/older Millenials hobby.

JPC wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 6:11 pm
Marrina getting released five years after the boxset really just... sucks.
One thing I sometimes think about is the production numbers of the Wrecking Crew members. Thunderball & Piledriver were in the Zola wave, which wasn't a hard wave to find on the shelf, but they were running changes, so they each only had half as many figures made as their wave mates. Wrecker, on the other hand, was part of RoML(3? 4?), which seemed to have one of the smallest runs of any ML wave in the time that I've been collecting. So for the team leader, the one desired more than any other member, and 1 of 2 (alongside Thunderball) who has a place on the shelf without the rest of the team, there exist fewer figures than the previous two. Finally, Bulldozer was in the Ant-Man 1 wave, which came after the post-RoML rebranding success and was ordered in abundance. They made easily at least twice as many Bulldozers as they did Wreckers. Like, what? In what world do I want a Bulldozer on my shelf without the rest of the Crew?

Similarly, if Hasbro makes a Marrina now, any new collector will be able to get her but not Alpha Flight. Just like how the spaced out releases make you not want to start a team that you don't know will get finished, a new collector's not going to want to buy the “final” member of a team that they never started to begin with.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 27, 2022 9:13 pm

Mark_Bowen wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:44 pm
I didn't mean to imply that not having a continuing interest in newer stuff makes someone any less ‘true’ of a fan than someone who does—I was barely into my 20s before I reached the point where I stopped being actively interested in finding new (to me) music, so I get it!—I only meant that nobody should put themselves out to pasture on my part.
Didn't take it that way at all! Trust me, I'm not proposing some grand noble sacrifice so others can get the toys they want at my expense, I am thinking about how to benefit all of us. Your point, not quoted, about whether people want Marrina if they don't have the Alpha Flight box shows why doing these things close together seems like it would be best for sales no matter how you look at it.
Handsome wrote: But for younger kids, action figures weren't as big a part of their childhoods as they were a part of ours. Similar to how older generations before us were really big into model trains and our generation couldn't care less about them. I think once we age out, action figure sales will dip.

I get that sense as well, I had some younger family members I got basic Marvel figures for and I think they had no interest in them. While the kids that are into action figures may represent a much smaller percentage of kids overall, I also suspect they may be the ones who have the collecting itch - so maybe figure sales will continue more than we may think. And I think the mindset that makes people be comic collectors may transfer to action figures, even if they weren't a big thing for them as a kid.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”