Marvel Legends Deluxe Mojo Set

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
100ptsofarticulation
Glass Half Empty
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Marvel Legends Deluxe Mojo Set

Sat May 21, 2022 11:33 pm

On the spiral talk. We're all assuming hasbro is going to do her right, and a dedicated sculpt would definitely be a start. But I also think she needs more than just that, like swords obviously but magic effects as well.

There was a time I believed Hasbro would give her all of that, but I think we've sort of moved into cost cutting, phoned in area these days. So I would not be surprised to see them reuse the black cat body(which is dead wrong) and throw in a sword and magic effect and call it a day.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Sun May 22, 2022 12:45 am

yojoebro82 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 12:51 am
KnightDamien wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 12:10 am
I'm gutted about this set, if I'm being honest. I want it so bad, even though I'm not going hard on ML collecting anymore. This was top tier wants for me. I've been asking for a Longshot since .. well, since ToyBiz did a Longshot that was a pain to do anything with.

But man... 130 bucks plus 26 shipping... US... PLUS you can ONLY use FedEX, and they are absolute [email protected]#$ criminals with their 'brokerage fee' bullshit. This set would end up costing me around 260 dollars. I just can't. No matter how much I like these figures. That's too much. Really bummed right now.
And it's not like it's going to be just this set. This is new normal. Everyone is going to feel this same sting with one of their favorite characters eventually. Sure, these figures LOOK amazing, but how excited can you get knowing you'll be gouged to the point where you may not even be able to afford it? I think 2022 is going to go down as the year fans were finally priced out.
Definitely. The weird thing is that it should be a bigger, more thoughtful, topic of discussion than it actually is. Instead, you have some complaining and then some HARD pushback ABOUT the complaining. If toy companies start pricing large chunks of the consumers out, do people realize that prices will have to go up to compensate? A 20 dollar figure they can sell 500k of quickly becomes a 70 dollar figure when they can only sell 100k. Or 50k. Big companies gotta keep those big profit margins, don'tcha know.

It just seems counterproductive to bitch about people that think these are too expensive, unless your whole intent is to pretend that you're 'above' the working class considerations of cost because you're so smart and you've done so well for yourself, or whatever other self-indulgent bullshit allows you to put yourself on a pedestal.

But there's actually more to my initial post than just saying 'this set is really expensive.' As a collector outside the US, I think it's relevant to shine a light on the fact that with the increasing prices, Hasbro seems to be doing nothing to make it easier for people outside the US to keep buying. While many other online stores offer multiple shipping options (and BBTS has the POL); Hasbro has decided to stick with maybe the -worst- carrier for International collectors. High rates and ludicrous fees that get passed directly to the end customer -after- the shipping charge has been paid. They're straight up criminals.

Even if we agree that this is just the way it is and there's nothing Hasbro can do about these prices (I certainly don't agree with that, but let's put that entire argument aside), Hasbro could still make decisions here to have a positive impact on the ability of their customers to continue being customers. Whether that's International partners for their Pulse exclusives (announced at the same time so Int. collectors know they can get these without paying the crazy hikes), or even just having as many shipping options available as possible. The latter is, let's be honest here, a bare minimum effort that Hasbro straight up didn't bother with.

And let's be clear, because the [email protected]#$ army of conservative neo-Libertarian morons will desperately want to paint that as 'entitlement.' It isn't. Because no one is saying they're -entitled- to these things. No one is saying Hasbro HAS to do it. Or that we DESERVE it. Not at all. It's -smart business-. It's -bad business- to, from laziness or greed, shrink your own customer base. And it hurts the entire hobby in the end. Personally, I really do love toys and toy collecting. A lot. And I don't just care about my ability to buy toys. I care about the overall health of the industry and -everyone's- ability to buy toys and keep this whole thing flourishing.

Because that's what makes it fun.

With prices how they are, I've become way more selective in what I buy. I still buy a lot of toys, though. Really, I probably spend close to what I always have -- it just nets me fewer items these days. But with that whole 'fewer items' thing also comes less discussion, fewer awesome pictures to see of other peoples' collections. Just.. less. Less of everything that makes this hobby fun. And that sucks.
And yeah, on a personal level, it also really sucks when something you'd really like to have is priced in a way that makes it -silly- to buy it. Not necessarily completely out of reach. Just a bad decision. Like I -could- buy a Playstation 5 from a scalper right now for 1200 dollars. But it seems -silly- to do so. It's not always about whether you -can-.

And that also isn't to discount the issue some people have of genuinely being priced out entirely. The idea that it's totally acceptable for hobbies beyond 'going for a run' and 'staring at the clouds' to be priced out of existence for those of lesser means is actually [email protected]#$ gross. But it's also an opinion that comes from the exact people you'd expect, so...
100ptsofarticulation
Glass Half Empty

Sun May 22, 2022 12:58 am

I personally think a thread should be dedicated to either general complaints about the line or maybe more specific to this pricing issue. This way each thread doesn't dissolve into these "stop complaining or don't buy them" back n fourths.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 22, 2022 1:19 am

KnightDamien wrote:
And I don't just care about my ability to buy toys. I care about the overall health of the industry and -everyone's- ability to buy toys and keep this whole thing flourishing.
This is the part that gets lost I feel in the pricing discussions, it is not good for anyone - from those for which the price is not an issue to those for which the price ends their willingness or ability to collect - if there is less support for the line, then the line runs the risk of being pulled back or even ended. I find the number of people venting about this concerning in the macro sense.

I also empathize with non-US collectors - as someone who collected lines from the UK (Dr Who) and Japan (Microman) and had to deal with secondary sellers much of the time, or crazy shipping costs from stores willing to sell and ship to the US, I would think a company like Hasbro that has retail presence all over the world could figure out how to make these exclusives available.
Xavion2004
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 22, 2022 1:55 am

My attitude has always been that this is a forum. We’re here to discuss toys that we all love, and that includes everyone from the most optimistic of posters to the most pessimistic. From those who are quick to offer praise or defend toy companies to those who are quick to complain or vent their frustration with toy companies. And everyone in-between.

I think the only people that deserve to be chastised are those who make it personal. Outside of that, all thoughts, opinions, and even derailments should be welcome.
100ptsofarticulation
Glass Half Empty

Sun May 22, 2022 2:03 am

Xavion2004 wrote:
My attitude has always been that this is a forum. We’re here to discuss toys that we all love, and that includes everyone from the most optimistic of posters to the most pessimistic. From those who are quick to offer praise or defend toy companies to those who are quick to complain or vent their frustration with toy companies. And everyone in-between.

I think the only people that deserve to be chastised are those who make it personal. Outside of that, all thoughts, opinions, and even derailments should be welcome.
Well said brother!

But I will say what I suggested earlier wouldn't hurt. A dedicated thread for grievances might eleviate some of these threads becoming intolerable and staying on topic.
KnightDamien

Sun May 22, 2022 2:42 am

100ptsofarticulation wrote:
Xavion2004 wrote:

Well said brother!

But I will say what I suggested earlier wouldn't hurt. A dedicated thread for grievances might eleviate some of these threads becoming intolerable and staying on topic.
While I don't necessarily disagree on principle... I think in practice it just wouldn't work. Just like we have dedicated, separate threads for a movie and the toyline FROM that movie, but inevitably people talk about toys in movie threads or, more often, the actual movie in the toy thread, rather than rushing off to make separate points in separate threads.

Not a dig at you, or the idea. More an observation about how we communicate. And in part you can't really expect any different because the price of an item and general discussion around that price, is kind of part and parcel to the overall reaction to that item, right?

Or maybe it irks me less because the price discussion is pretty common in 1:18 discussions because most of the decent toy lines these days in that scale are pricey for their size and value vs. cost is a pretty regular topic. That would be fair to say.
kantboy2
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 22, 2022 3:13 am

By the price points alone, Hasbro will make all their highly articulated 6 inch figures exclusives and/or online only.

The 3 3/4 inch articulated stuff will become the high end stuff at retail, followed by the 5 poa stuff and the 2 inch lines will be the ones with vehicles and playsets.

What they wanted to do with the Marvel Universe line, they just had to wait for inflation to catch up. :lol:

Back to topic; I want the set but not at that price. Guess I'll wait or trade for it. :|
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 22, 2022 4:21 am

Honestly when a new figure/wave is announced/released, there are really only two general discussion topics about people's reactions:

Execution (design choice, sculpt, articulation, scale, paint, packaging, etc.)
Obtainment (how, when, where to get it, scarcity and cost, etc.)

Those two topics then tend to combine in the explanations given by a poster as to why they may or may not be buying it.

That's basically all that is ever discussed around a particular release.
KnightDamien

Sun May 22, 2022 4:41 am

fac wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 4:21 am
Honestly when a new figure/wave is announced/released, there are really only two general discussion topics about people's reactions:

Execution (design choice, sculpt, articulation, scale, paint, packaging, etc.)
Obtainment (how, when, where to get it, scarcity and cost, etc.)

Those two topics then tend to combine in the explanations given by a poster as to why they may or may not be buying it.

That's basically all that is ever discussed around a particular release.
Bang on. And once the figures actually come out, the conversation switches around to either what people think of their new figures, or long and dreary conversations about -finding- the new figures, if it's a retail release of some kind, or people comparing what their order number was versus the order number of whoever just got their figure. I'm not sure why the cycle of conversation, which is literally the same for basically every thread, is surprising or irritating to anyone.
MollyMillions
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 22, 2022 5:33 am

I ever thought I'd get 1 Dazzler.

Now I'll have three. I had to get two of this set. I don't have a use for the Wolverine, but I know Wolverine fans who want it. It might be the only special edition figure set I display with it's fancy box, in its own corner of my den.

It sucks on the Canadian conversion and forced FedEx, but I've passed on so much this year past and upcoming and Dazzler is my #1 mutant.

My own feelings on the price discussion are that Hasbro has been getting...not last. Something happened around the first AoA wave for me. There was a change in quality in sculpt and paint. The figures just look different compared to prior ones, and it's very apparent with the Thor MCU stuff, as far as likeness, paint apps, lack of accessories.

My King Valkyrie was returned because the shiny black pain on the torso just flaked and chipped off at some slight nail pressure scratching a flake off. And for me, it's emblematic of Legends last few years. I do other Hasbro lines and every one has a different problem, so it's not some across the board thing.

I dunno. I don't buy the interview answers on the new packaging, and no YouTuber dares ask about actual QA issues or accessory count concerns.

New cost sucks for what they're delivering and something is going to give with it. Totally understand all the discourse around it, because while it's a luxury, it's something you enjoy, and no one likes losing their little peace of mind regardless of what supplies it.

Now that I'm branched away from Hasbro into other companies, it's wild what they ask and get away with.
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Sun May 22, 2022 6:12 am

100ptsofarticulation wrote:
Xavion2004 wrote:

Well said brother!

Maybe you'll just stop coming altogether.

We can have a dedicated thread to it.
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Sun May 22, 2022 6:57 am

KnightDamien wrote:
And that also isn't to discount the issue some people have of genuinely being priced out entirely. The idea that it's totally acceptable for hobbies beyond 'going for a run' and 'staring at the clouds' to be priced out of existence for those of lesser means is actually [email protected]#$ gross.

This is what it comes down to for me. We, as a society, have landed on a tiered class system yet again. (I'll leave you to figure out who that benefits and why.)

What is a full-time working person entitled to? Food? Housing? Health care? More specifically, a phone? Hobbies? Internet service?

If you're spending your time (the only currency that matters) working, what should you receive in return? To me, there is a clear minimum.
yojoebro82
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 22, 2022 2:01 pm

The thing is, I'm over here willing to accept the $25 increase. The increase we were TOLD was coming. Sucks, but OK. That is something I feel I can absorb. Buying few whole waves, definitely OK with me, because I feel most of the BAFs I can absolutely live without (Armadillo? Controller? I will get by just fine without them taking up shelf space). So yes, give me the $25 figures.

But they're not doing that. For every $25 figure out there, there's two more that they've jacked the cost up on. $28, $30, $55 (or higher) for two packs, or sets like this that just don't add up. If this was $80, $90, even $100, I'd be fine. $25 each for Longshot and Dazzler, $50 tops for Mojo who is the equivalent of a deluxe or BAF, and for God's sake can you just give us the GD Wolverine statue accessory for free? Make us feel like you're at least attempting to give your fans some sort of value in all f this madness?

That's where I'm at. Willing to pay $25, but every time I turn around there's an excuse for why it's costing more.

And the whole "complaining about complainers" side topic, sorry, but if it's a valid complaint, it's fair game. These prices are affecting every fan and the hobby as a whole. It's not like we're whining about not having a 20th Wolverine figure.
Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 22, 2022 3:06 pm

Unfortunately the price is what pushed me off this. Too expensive. I would love Longshot and Mojo. But not at that price. This whole price hike has made me alot more selective, and it has pushed me almost entirely out of MCU stuff, and most non XMen related. And now its starting to dig into the XMen related. I would've loved to have some of these Spiderman figures that look really good, like the new mold Spidey, or Shockers og suit. But can't afford it. Skipped everything AoA. It didn't look like the quality was there for the price. And now, even if they're discounted, I just don't care about them anymore. The new wave with Syrin I would've bought quite a few of at the old price, and tried to fix the things I didn't like, and wouldn't have minded (as much) buying 2 Syrins just for whatever the next one comes with. Now? I skipped the whole thing and if I don't like the next one, I'll live without her.

Btw, it's even worse with the SW figures Hasbro does. Their quality varies from good to piss poor, and they don't have very many accessories or a baf piece, and they're charging as much as the Legends. And also making some figures "deluxe" because of "the paint." Its around $32 or so for just about any Boba Fett. They even put Jar Jar as a ****in deluxe cause hes a new mold they can only reuse for EVERY OTHER GUNGAN MALE IN EXISTANCE. They are pricing me out of those pretty quick too. Even Power Rangers, which is my heart and soul, the dream line I've always wanted, most of them I have to wait for a discount, which is a shame, cause I would've paid full price for them all before. Now I wait for a sale or discount and get the less important ones for cheaper, cause it's just too much for everything. A couple years ago, maybe even last year, I would've had every wave of Spiderman, XMen, Power Rangers and some of the SW figures preordered, at least what I wanted from them, which is usually around 90%. Now I have 5, for the rest of the year. And 3 may not even come out till next year. And it actually kinda makes me sad.

This Mojo looks really good. I hope they rerelease him cheaper later. Then maybe I'd buy it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”