Marvel Legends Deluxe Mojo Set

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
mattmurdog
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Marvel Legends Deluxe Mojo Set

Fri May 20, 2022 8:14 pm

Handsome wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 7:36 pm
Enforcer wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 7:10 pm
If you're working 40 hours it's all about managing expenses. If a few dollars a figure put the hobby out of your budget then a quick review of your spending might be in order.
I grew up without money. I was still able to collect action figures, trading cards, and comic books.

If this was two or three years ago. I would have purchased the first appearance Spider-Man, the Spider-Man/Mary Jane 2-pack, that Venom/Knull 2-pack, and the Mojo set.

I skipped all of them. And I'm making more money now than I did back then. It's not that I can't afford them. But just because I can spend the money on something doesn't mean I'm willing to spend the money on it. I can't justify the cost, and I don't "need" those figures, so I'll pass on them.

I think Morph is going to be over-priced as well, but he's a character I do personally need, so I will overpay for him.

This is a discussion forum about action figures. Price is a part of that. If people want to discuss it here, they are free to do so. You don't understand why someone who's passionate about figures might be upset that they are being priced out of a hobby that brings them joy? Franky I don't find anyone's issues with the prices nearly as annoying as the complaining that smug assholes like you do.
I grew up without money, and I wasn't able to afford comic books, action figures or cards. This is the difference in being responsible verses not.

We're all enablers here and perhaps that's not too healthy because it's creating a sense of entitlement among ALL collectors that these should be affordable and for them. I don't like the price hike either, but I "need" these so I pay the price. You're not going to really hear me complain about inflation when we all know it's inevitable. I accept it, and decide internally whether I want to buy them or not. It's based on desire of want vs need. If I can't afford them, then I do without regardless of desire.

With that said, I dropped the cash on Mojo because he's a need. Along with Longshot and a Dazzler that I don't already have.
JTMarsh
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 20, 2022 9:13 pm

spideyboy1111 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 4:02 pm
were you upset about paying $53 for MODOK? who doesn't have a whole lot going on compared to MOJO? I think Mojo easily looks like he's at least $20 more expensive than MODOK personally.
I never bought Modok mostly because the character's never really appealed to me much. There was a point where he was even selling for half price at Walmart and they were swamped with them still, so apparently I'm not the only one. Plus the character is kinda just a block you put on the shelf and appears to be mostly hollow anyway. So while I'm sure he works just fine to fill that character slot for some, I never felt the urge to get him. Plus I'd assume all the money they saved by effectively only making a new head for Dazzler and giving us a HappyMeal toy instead of an actual 4th figure and then calling it a 4pk would account for more than the $20 saved. I'd honestly be surprised if that chibi Wolverine's head even turns, but to each their own. Longshot looks good and Mojo looks decent enough, I'm just increasingly getting to the point where there are fewer characters I'm willing to get knowingly fleeced buying, particularly when it's about the same price as 3 S7 Ultimate TMNT figures depending upon where you buy them. I acknowledge that everything's going up price-wise, but where others are tacking on $5-$7 Hasbro is way out in front every time it seems. I used to get excited for new X-Men reveals, now I mostly am just interested to see what they'll actually give us and how much we're going to be charged for it this time.
ditko
Thread Killer

Fri May 20, 2022 9:23 pm

Pre-ordered last night. No regrets so far, just hoping we see a lot of X-Men releases and maybe some redos/touch-ups, in the next 1-2 years. X-Men '97 should provide for some very interesting material.

As for the price debate, there's a bit of the pot calling the kettle black here. I just hope the economy doesn't totally implode and we get the choice to keep up with the hobby. The figures right now are superior to just a few years ago as I look at what's in the pipeline.
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Fri May 20, 2022 9:30 pm

Enforcer wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 4:35 pm
secondwhiteline wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 2:28 pm
Enforcer wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 6:54 am
I think people here have and are capable of empathy... but the people complaining about the prices and how much Legends "suck" for this price, or the repeated claim that they are "out" of collecting Legends only to constantly reappear and complain....

Its not the most graceful way to garner sympathy for yourself. There may be some pity... for sure... but not the reason they were aiming for.
I'm not looking for sympathy. I think it's valuable input -- I'm coming at this from the perspective of someone who manages a marketing department. If your audience is loudly complaining about the price of your products, it's worth considering. What they do with it, if anything, is uncertain, but it's the kind of talk that could inspire future Longshot releases in a standard ML retail format, for example. And fan response affecting future releases is a precedent for the line.

I find it weird how many people are defending this from a perspective like yours, digging through pragmatic complaints about something we all acknowledge, that the prices have increased and become a pretty major barrier for some collectors, for hypocrisy in order to invalidate those complaints. Figure collecting is a hobby with such an oddly prevalent amount of gatekeeping for a subculture built around behavior as empty as buying stuff and talking about buying stuff. You're not more authentic because you can afford things and are willing to spend that money.
I think everyone is complaining about the prices. No one is defending Hasbro price increases - we all hate it. There is an interesting Us vs. Them mentality created by people who think that the collectors who are still keeping their old buying habits even after the price increases are siding with the corporate overlords and betraying their fellow collectors who want to take a stand. Or at least say that they are, and complain often.

There is nothing wrong with feedback like "These prices are really high" and "we're paying closer and closer to import costs lately" because... we are. It sucks. I wish Legends were still $15. The problem is Hasbro is making some really great figures and to me they are worth paying extra for to have. It sucks that some people can't fit this into their budget. I get that. No one is invalidating that feedback.

The grating part is that the same people who pop up every time something new is announced/revealed to repeat how much of a rip-off the figure is at the price, how bad the quality is for the price, how they are going to stop collecting, etc. Yet there they are... beating their dead horse. It doesn't garner sympathy. It just makes these people whiners. It's their right to bitch and complain, as they often proudly proclaim - but it doesn't change the fact that they're adding nothing to the conversation but the same whining. This doesn't describe everyone who is upset about the prices, or everyone who has to cut back on their collecting - just a select few who will post like clockwork after every new reveal. It's the usual suspects. No one is gatekeeping anything - I get that's a trendy term right now. It doesn't apply here. Some folks are just tired of reading comments from people that don't seem to understand that increased price doesn't mean a gigantic increase in quality. The quality has for the most part been consistent. Every new Spider-Man is better than the last, which is great. Love Spidey.

Is it greedy? Yes. Does it suck? Yes. Does everyone here wish the prices were lower? Absolutely.

Some people have gotten themselves into a position in life where a few extra dollars for their hobby aren't enough of a detraction. That doesn't mean they are trying to squeeze out the people who have to cut back. They've just heard the same complaints over and over again, and if people are saying they're out to make a point... then stick to your guns. Be out. Don't keep coming back thinking an extra squeaky wheel will make prices drop. It's just a miserable existence.
i'd also like to add, someone explaining why the price is higher, and the logistics of how it really does add up or makes sense (to them) doesn't mean they actually support the price increase nor does it mean they're defending hasbro (people seem to not understand that) an explanation does not mean a justification.
BAT
Avengers Assemble

Sat May 21, 2022 1:23 am

yojoebro82 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 3:07 pm
NORM wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 12:01 pm
Isn't this apples and oranges?
It is apples and oranges.....to a point.

I do sometimes wonder if Hasbro doesn't see collectors paying $80, $100, $120 etc, for a high end import of ONE figure, figures that are in many cases comparable in value to what Hasbro does, and make note of their willingness to pay more with little to no complaint.
Right. I'm not saying that if Mezco made a set with these 3 characters and gave them all the extra heads, hands, and detailed accessories they would give them, that the set would go for the same price. But Hasbro didn't provide that here (only one character gets one additional head and one additional set of hands) so the value is not much better. There was a window where Hasbro paint and articulation scheme had gotten so good (think GotGv2 vs GotGv1) that they seemed a far better value than Figuarts or Mezco. With the price increases for Marvel Legends outstripping inflation (and far outstripping wage increases), I don't really see these as a better *value* than a Mezco figure anymore. Sure, Mezco would charge more for these, but you'd get a lot more for that money and the cost differential is narrowing.

The other point of comparison is Hasbro seemingly adopting Mezco's annoying habit of pumping up the price with unasked for packouts. I feel like I'm paying an awful lot here for a bunch of cardboard, a Wolverine statue I don't want, and a Dazzler figure I basically already have.
psoul95
Runs Around in Tights

Sat May 21, 2022 2:30 am

Pulse doesn’t charge until shipped correct?
100ptsofarticulation
Glass Half Empty

Sat May 21, 2022 2:44 am

Bleh! This thread went disgusting.
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 21, 2022 3:08 am

100ptsofarticulation wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 2:44 am
Bleh! This thread went disgusting.

"We're tired of you bitching for months on end!"

* Proceeds to defiantly bitch for two straight days * Image
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Sat May 21, 2022 3:11 am

You guys don't read well at all. And we moved past it but thanks for the scintillating addition to the discussion. Here's your 2 cents back. It's worthless.
100ptsofarticulation
Glass Half Empty

Sat May 21, 2022 3:17 am

Enforcer wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 3:11 am
You guys don't read well at all. And we moved past it but thanks for the scintillating addition to the discussion. Here's your 2 cents back. It's worthless.
Relax there chief. My reading comprehension is fine, I just noticed that discussion went on for 4 pages after reading 2 of em I figured I'd jump to the last page and hope it was over.
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Sat May 21, 2022 3:21 am

I think you've proven my point. Thanks for your valuable input. You're a credit to these forums. Mate.
RoboKillah
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 21, 2022 3:23 am

[email protected]#$, either get civil or go touch some toy. Something. Anything.
Nebraska
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 21, 2022 11:18 am

psoul95 wrote:Pulse doesn’t charge until shipped correct?
Correct.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 21, 2022 1:14 pm

While I generally don't care about packaging, I do like "life size" prop like packaging and have a shelf or two with props and "life size" characters from a bunch of different properties, and the TV, remote, etc. for this set looks like it might be a nice fit for that.

The SDCC Book of Vishanti ML set is another example of a life size prop/package, and I was trying to think of any others from the ML line? (Not packaging that is in scale with legends like the Raft set or the subway set for the Defenders)
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 21, 2022 1:33 pm

I nominate Book of Vishanti for best con packaging ever.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”