Another Price Hike

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Another Price Hike

Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:16 am

I'd still be happy paying less for figures without BAF parts, then shelling out for larger or deluxe figures sometimes.
e-rock wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:02 am
Like I said elsewhere, this may lead to me just buying new movie characters or major upgrades like the new Mordo. But I may be done with Caps, Thor, Caps, etc.
I want to go that way as well. I am almost definitely done with Caps, Thors, and Caps though. Spider-Man, Iron Man, and Hulk, probably not, but I really just want all new characters from now on (aside from Nebula and Rocket, those are my only upgrades).
chaosMonkeyPoo
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:17 am

I get why this might get some collectors to cut back their purchases but I'd be lying if it said my buying habits will change in any way over this. I'm already paying 3 to 4 times that cost for figures that are only moderately better so this isn't a big deal for me overall. I'm still all in on all X-Men and anything else that sparks my fancy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

SDcomics wrote:
I will post a picture of the receipt if anyone wants to see it.

Wow. This is sad. I don't know what else to say.
Yikes, yeah.

Is that the one at Grossmont Center?
SDcomics
Smilies are my weapon of choice

Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:19 am

Ru_1977 wrote:
SDcomics wrote:

Yikes, yeah.

Sir, you're close. It's the one on Broadway in El Cajon.
bigsexy_j
Avengers Assemble

Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:24 am

Lol, tru Canada just increased legends price for the Armadillo wave to $42.99. Less than 6 months ago they were $29.99
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:26 am

SDcomics wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:19 am
Ru_1977 wrote:
SDcomics wrote:

Yikes, yeah.

Sir, you're close. It's the one on Broadway in El Cajon.
Ah okay, even more east county! heh heh. That is crazy though. I saw a discussion on here this week, I think, about how some targets were raising that high in affluent areas. I don't think El Cajon is an awful part of SD but I wouldn't call it affluent either. (I lived in La Mesa in the 90s until 2005 or so.)
BILLIUM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Location: Hasbro should upscale the new 80th Anniversary Captain America figure for an Ameridroid figure.

Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:44 am

I have been with the line since almost the beginning, through the good times and the bad times, and in time I became a completist. If I wanted to open or build a figure, I bought two. I was planning to start cherry picking next year and making 2022 the last year I bought they way I have for years (20 years felt like a good slowing down point after how let down I felt with the Eternals wave). But $25 a figure? Sorry, but as much as I love Marvel Legends, I just can't justify that price for a lot, if not most of these figures. I might have to start cherry picking earlier than I planned and getting even pickier with my purchases than I first anticipated. It's sad.
yojoebro82
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:49 am

anthonywayne wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:00 am
The retro Spidey figs are $23 right now...with no BAF part.
Between retro cards with no baf and store exclusives with no baf, and things like the Infinity line and the Fox X-Men line with no BAFs, it feels like there is at least an equal amount of figures without BAFs as there are with BAFs. And those without BAFs are always $23, $25, $27 (don't get me started on those Toybiz anniversary figs).

I'm not comparing stylistic or tooling or design choices as much as I'm just straight up wondering about the budgetary aspect of it. How does the toy industry juggernaut (Hasbro) have to keep jacking up cost with the amount of reuse they routinely incorporate, when a relative "little guy" (McFarlane) keep his prices down while doing new sculpting on almost all releases in a larger scale figure? I'm not taking sides on any one company over another. I'm curious.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:00 am

Seeing some folks talking about reconsidering how much they plan to buy going forward, even some people who have been with the line from the start, should worry Hasbro. That might be the initial knee-jerk reaction and most of us will keep to our normal buying habits going forward - but combine this with the perception some have about too many figures being just off the mark over the last year or so, and I feel that Hasbro may be losing some of its goodwill with collectors that it has built up over the years.
TheCollector1999
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:13 am

I understand why it’s happening and that it’s like this for everything but doesn’t mean I like it
Demjot
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:22 am

Man this sure does make characters I'm only mildly interested in a lot harder to pick up. For instance, Darwin from the latest X-Men wave is a figure I'd like to own, but not one I will probably pick up at this price point. Being from Canada, a lot of our figures have already been this price for awhile since typically we're charged conversion + a round-up + typically higher sales tax than most American States.

Basically when figures where 20$ a direct conversion would have been around 25$ but instead we mostly paid 30$+tax. Then when 22.50$ (shy of 30$) came somehow all the figures I can find in stores where 35-40$+tax. I'd be shocked if with tax a single marvel legend didn't ring up for more than 50$ here soon. You'd imagine online shopping is cheaper, and it is slightly with most Amazon figures being around 33$ if you're lucky enough to catch them early, but keep in mind that it feels as if 1/4 of comic figures released now are exclusives, and we have very few other online options. This hurts even more when it seems like 1 in 20 figures I buy breaks from regular-not-particularly-high-stress use, and they're reselling me the 45th figure on a mold from 2012.

It's just such a massive bummer. I understand why, but it's just a shame. Definitely makes me want to look into using my 3d printers for more customs now...

Side note: if they started doing smaller waves (4 figures + a BAF) it would make this price jump a little softer I think with more time in-between large purchases, and less figures required to acquire a BAF. This would probably help make back sales for C-Tier characters lost by the price hike.
september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:38 am

Definitely going to be tough to take. I’ve damn near been a completionist the last 4-5 years, and what I’ve skipped I’ve probably more than made up for with doubling up on some characters. I have a list of probably 400 characters/variations I could buy, but the price increases are definitely going to make that a shorter list.

And yeah, the near misses aren’t going to fly with compounding price increases. I’m not arguing the reality of the economy, but Hasbro is probably going to need to show a little more effort now that they’re fighting for a larger cut of people’s money.
4LOTT
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:51 am

bigsexy_j wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:24 am
Lol, tru Canada just increased legends price for the Armadillo wave to $42.99. Less than 6 months ago they were $29.99
Walmarts in Canada have the Dr. Strange movie wave at $33.99 CAD or roughly $$27 USD.
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:02 am

I never bought every single figure, anyway. And for the most part, I already have all the characters I want. Just want a handful more. So for those handful I'm still waiting for Hasbro to make, I don't really mind spending an extra $5.

The price of everything is going up. This isn't really surprising.
4LOTT
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:09 am

Kinda in the same place. I only want Symbiote Spidey, Ben Spidey, exclusive Dr. Strange and maybe Scarlet witch so for 3-4 figures I’ll pay a few bucks more. Now I’ll really want a character to shell out for it or wait for it to go in serious sale.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”