Hot Toys: Anyone Collect Some?

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
minitaur
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:09 pm

I never thought much about hot toys before because I’m a 1:12 scale guy. But there’s one or two that are calling my name. And I’m wondering what I’d do with them. I guess they’d have a separate display?

I can’t really put them with marvel legends / mafex 1:12 stuff.

Anyone here have any hot toys, and can you share pics of how they’re set up in relation to the rest of your collection?
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Re: Hot Toys: Anyone Collect Some?

Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:24 pm

Never took the plunge for half a dozen reasons--sixth scale takes up too much space, most of the head sculpts are squarely in the uncanny valley, the articulation is terrible compared to twelfth scale, and for the price point I don't know how well the material holds up given that there are a LOT of pics of 2000s Hot Toys figures that are falling apart.

If they'd move into comic-style figures I probably couldn't resist though. That would also solve their uncanny valley issue if they went with stylized comic faces. I've got all of the Legends 12-inch figures and I absolutely love them, so if Hot Toys moved into that area I'd be VERY tempted. But I'd still have the hesitancy of not being sure how well they will hold up over time.
Bolt
Customized

Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:00 pm

The only Hot Toys I actually have is that AoU Quicksilver (the other 1/6 scale in that display are either unofficial 3rd party or knockoffs and one is a custom of sorts. They have made some cool ones over the years though. Wish I hadn't skipped the X-Men DOFP Wolverine and Deadpool Deadpool 2 figures on release, but they were released before I got heavily into collecting 1/6. I also kind of want to get Hot Toys' Wandavision Scarlet Witch, we will see though I guess. I also wish they would make a Blink from X-Men DOFP and Kelsey Grammer Beast. I usually leave them in one pose after I get them positioned, but I have seen some pretty cool battle set ups as well. I've got separate areas also with other Marvel Legends and Funkos also. The X2 Nightcrawler on the top right is actually a Toybiz release, you might be able to find it fairly cheap on ebay or whatever. The articulation on the Nightcrawler is pretty poor and the jacket on mine is flaking off a little so I try not to handle it very often. The general idea for that display in the picture though is one 6 inch figure and a funko pop correlating or standing in for the 1/6s (besides Quicksilvers) and like a comic book or something else in the back drop like movie character photo or whatever.
Regarding their comic figures, I believe there is a Gambit at the very least and I'm pretty sure they made a Cyclops and Wolverine also? I wouldn't be that surprised if they have more than X-Men in the comic set I just tend tune non X-Men or Deadpool related figures out :) .
Hope all that helps.
Edit: Here's a link to the Gambit, its actually a Sideshow figure but It should be official/license also: https://www.sideshow.com/collectibles/m ... les-100439 I'm not really sure how Sideshow relates to Hot Toys but that site lists Hot Toys as well on there.
Mongoose
Avengers Assemble

Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:17 pm

Some. My wife would laugh at that. I have almost all of the Iron Mans they've done, Plus a couple like a Thor and Captain America. I have them displayed on a glass display case in the middle of my toy room. 3-4 on each shelf. No pics handy. I can grab some when I get home if anyone is interested. I've always had a thing for Iron Man toys since the old ToyBiz Iron Man cartoon days.
dcucfan
CROM!

Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:41 pm

Hot Toys are great if you don’t go into it expecting them to be as poseable as standard figures. I view them more as art pieces, though deterioration is something to consider as far as long term enjoyment.

I have my main display across from my 6” setup, and a few other cases spread around my apartment. Keeping them away from dust is key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:00 pm

dcucfan wrote:
I view them more as art pieces, though deterioration is something to consider as far as long term enjoyment.

How much are you concerned about that? I first considered buying some about five years ago, and at the time I saw some of the early-to-mid-2000s figures of theirs where the rubber-like material in the arms was cracking after a decade.

I can't see myself taking the plunge without some assurance they switched to materials that don't degrade.
dcucfan
CROM!

Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:39 pm

EnigmaticClarity wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:00 pm
dcucfan wrote:
I view them more as art pieces, though deterioration is something to consider as far as long term enjoyment.

How much are you concerned about that? I first considered buying some about five years ago, and at the time I saw some of the early-to-mid-2000s figures of theirs where the rubber-like material in the arms was cracking after a decade.

I can't see myself taking the plunge without some assurance they switched to materials that don't degrade.
I’ve only been in this about five years myself, so can’t really speak to it. But from the research I’ve done it does seem like they’ve upped the quality of their materials in recent years. No guarantee of course—some figures definitely feel safer than others—but so far I haven’t seen any sign of wear on any of my figures. How you treat them also probably plays into it, as excessive poses can weaken materials. Ultimately I’m not overly concerned, but individual mileage will vary.
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:53 pm

dcucfan wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:39 pm
I’ve only been in this about five years myself, so can’t really speak to it. But from the research I’ve done it does seem like they’ve upped the quality of their materials in recent years. No guarantee of course—some figures definitely feel safer than others—but so far I haven’t seen any sign of wear on any of my figures. How you treat them also probably plays into it, as excessive poses can weaken materials. Ultimately I’m not overly concerned, but individual mileage will vary.

I'm mostly concerned about figures where they used some sort of material to avoid visible joints like virtually every twelfth scale figure has. Prime examples are the recent Thanos figures...are we sure they won't do what this early Hot Toys figure has done?

WinterLord
Super Poseable

Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:11 pm

I have a few 1/6 scale figures (hot toys MGS raiden, punisher war machine, arkham deathstroke, sideshow lobo, Action Nations Akuma) and I keep them in their own detolf case.
chaosMonkeyPoo
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:13 pm

I've bought quite a few over the years. 1/6 figures are definitely an expensive hobby to get into but they also display like absolute champs. Of all the stuff I collect, those are the items that non toy collectors are the most impressed by, for whatever thats worth. They very much bridge a gap between toy and art piece.
iskopower
CROM!

Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:22 am

I've been collecting MCU and Star Wars for over 7 years now.. but I've been slowing down because of the increased prices.

Nowadays.. I'm just pre-ordering debut unique characters like Thena, Yelena or Green Goblin. There's just too many variants of the A-listers that I can't budget for.
Night Wolf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:32 am

dont like hot toys at all.
Mister Voorhees
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:40 am

I've been collecting MCU and Mandalorian figures, though I'm really selective due to the prices (and also lack of space). I've been trying to team-build the Guardians of the Galaxy but for whatever reason Hot Toys refuses to release Mantis or a new Drax. I was also trying to do the same with the Defenders but they only released Daredevil and Punisher from the Netflix series'; there's a lot of third-party options but I haven't liked any of the Jessica Jones I've seen.

Right now my Mandalorian collection just consists of season 1 durasteel Mando and The Armorer, though I have a few S2 figures on pre-order.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”