2022 Black Panther - Wakanda Forever waves

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
User avatar
DerRabbi
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1920
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:08 am

Re: 2022 Black Panther - Wakanda Forever waves

Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:38 am

fingfangfoom wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:45 am
Hasbro just released 2 comic related deluxe figures to coincide with Thor: Love & Thunder. (That’s Ulik & Ragnarok, if you’re keeping count.)

If they’d continue that pattern, it would be nice if this film got us deluxe figures of comic versions of Attuma & M’Baku.
Essentially those were repaints though. Minus some minor tweaks; new head.
User avatar
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7081
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:23 am

Re: 2022 Black Panther - Wakanda Forever waves

Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:49 am

Another character leak
Spoiler! :
Image

I'll probably wait for a figure from her show....
User avatar
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 11655
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:17 am

Re: 2022 Black Panther - Wakanda Forever waves

Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:24 pm

100ptsofarticulation wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:15 pm
Too bad they took a "Fox" approach to Namor, what a shame, he was one character I was really looking forward to making his debut in the MCU.

I hope at the very least we get a comic Attuma out of this. That would make up for the travesty.
i don't see how this is a "fox" approach at all...

he looks like namor, just has influence from a richer culture applied to it. Truthfully, they did the same thing with black panther.. only he was previously already rooted in that continent.

it's also not unheard of for Atlantis to be associated with Mayan/Aztec culture. There's been theories for decades now that Atlantis could have actually been closer to the gulf of mexico (also look up bimini road)

so they chose the next best thing with the mythology to fit both the black panther aesthetic and the atlantis mythos while also paying homage to his classic look
User avatar
100ptsofarticulation
Glass Half Empty
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 11008
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:46 pm

Re: 2022 Black Panther - Wakanda Forever waves

Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:42 pm

spideyboy1111 wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:24 pm
100ptsofarticulation wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:15 pm
Too bad they took a "Fox" approach to Namor, what a shame, he was one character I was really looking forward to making his debut in the MCU.

I hope at the very least we get a comic Attuma out of this. That would make up for the travesty.
i don't see how this is a "fox" approach at all...

he looks like namor, just has influence from a richer culture applied to it. Truthfully, they did the same thing with black panther.. only he was previously already rooted in that continent.

it's also not unheard of for Atlantis to be associated with Mayan/Aztec culture. There's been theories for decades now that Atlantis could have actually been closer to the gulf of mexico (also look up bimini road)

so they chose the next best thing with the mythology to fit both the black panther aesthetic and the atlantis mythos while also paying homage to his classic look
I have heard of the Atlantis/Mayan connection and forgot about that before I posted that. So that makes it a little easier to take but I do still wish they chose a more comic look.
User avatar
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 11655
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:17 am

Re: 2022 Black Panther - Wakanda Forever waves

Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:41 pm

100ptsofarticulation wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:42 pm
spideyboy1111 wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:24 pm
100ptsofarticulation wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:15 pm
Too bad they took a "Fox" approach to Namor, what a shame, he was one character I was really looking forward to making his debut in the MCU.

I hope at the very least we get a comic Attuma out of this. That would make up for the travesty.
i don't see how this is a "fox" approach at all...

he looks like namor, just has influence from a richer culture applied to it. Truthfully, they did the same thing with black panther.. only he was previously already rooted in that continent.

it's also not unheard of for Atlantis to be associated with Mayan/Aztec culture. There's been theories for decades now that Atlantis could have actually been closer to the gulf of mexico (also look up bimini road)

so they chose the next best thing with the mythology to fit both the black panther aesthetic and the atlantis mythos while also paying homage to his classic look
I have heard of the Atlantis/Mayan connection and forgot about that before I posted that. So that makes it a little easier to take but I do still wish they chose a more comic look.
i think the comic look is there, they just added more to it.

one of my favorite places in the world is the Atlantis hotel in the bahamas... they play up the mayan/aztec look while also making things feel a bit Greek, Mesopotamian, and unique to its own fantasy world all together.

I hope this atlantis borrows some inspiration from that idea.

View any photos and videos from the Atlantis Bahamas "The Dig" aquarium. absolutely gorgeous.
User avatar
DerRabbi
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1920
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:08 am

Re: 2022 Black Panther - Wakanda Forever waves

Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:18 am

I mean he's in green trunks and has wings on his ankles. Most "more grounded" adaptations wouldn't go there.
JoshuaKat
CROM!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 947
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:22 pm

Re: 2022 Black Panther - Wakanda Forever waves

Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:25 am

Yea, I'm actually surprised by how comic accurate he actually is. I didn't think he'd be shirtless at all. I honestly feel he fits right in with the current phase 4 comic accuracy.
User avatar
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7081
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:23 am

Re: 2022 Black Panther - Wakanda Forever waves

Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:20 pm

Looking at the concept art once more and I wonder if the BAF for the wave will be
Spoiler! :
Ironheart instead of Attuma just because she looks like she would be a bigger figure while he appears to not be matching his comic size.
joshsquash729
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1309
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:40 am

Re: 2022 Black Panther - Wakanda Forever waves

Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:24 pm

Gotta be honest, I know next to nothing about Namor; he never really struck me as that interesting, especially visually, but this version looks pretty cool! It'll make a great figure. It'll definitely be interesting to see how they tackle any underwater scenes as opposed to how DC does Aquaman.
User avatar
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7081
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:23 am

Re: 2022 Black Panther - Wakanda Forever waves

Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:37 pm

joshsquash729 wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:24 pm
Gotta be honest, I know next to nothing about Namor; he never really struck me as that interesting, especially visually, but this version looks pretty cool! It'll make a great figure. It'll definitely be interesting to see how they tackle any underwater scenes as opposed to how DC does Aquaman.
I may know slightly more than you about Namor but I was also never struck by him as an interesting character, especially visually, but this version had totally turned me around. I'll definitely get him, just gotta decide if I'll go for it with the other Atlanteans.
Guardianmonkey
Avengers Assemble
Contact:
Posts: 599
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:02 pm

Re: 2022 Black Panther - Wakanda Forever waves

Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:15 pm

My main problem is with the casting. They picked a 41 year old dude to play Namor. How long can he last in the role of a character that is near-naked all the time? I have the same problem with
Spoiler! :
MCU Hercules,
the casting (same age problem, big time look problem). It seems to have been the biggest pickle since Endgame, they just aren't capturing the same magic as they used to when casting these roles.
User avatar
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7081
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:23 am

Re: 2022 Black Panther - Wakanda Forever waves

Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:18 pm

Guardianmonkey wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:15 pm
They picked a 41 year old dude to play Namor.
That's how old RDJ was when he was cast in Iron Man. But maybe Namor is only ever going to appear in this one movie. Dunno. Also, you may want to spoiler that one character that isn't even appearing in this movie, let alone this wave.
User avatar
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: FwooshTeam Ladies Man.
Posts: 11151
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:42 am

Re: 2022 Black Panther - Wakanda Forever waves

Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:19 pm

Apparently you might want to spoiler tag that one mate.

Also RDJ was 42 when he first played Iron Man so... age isn't really a determining factor of success.
User avatar
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: FwooshTeam Ladies Man.
Posts: 11151
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:42 am

Re: 2022 Black Panther - Wakanda Forever waves

Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:19 pm

Why are we the same Ru
User avatar
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7081
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:23 am

Re: 2022 Black Panther - Wakanda Forever waves

Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:20 pm

Enforcer wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:19 pm
Why are we the same Ru
:lol:

I guess we share similar values, heh heh.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”