2022 Black Panther - Wakanda Forever waves

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
User avatar
Raybot
Swears it's 6 inches
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: The Bay Area
Posts: 8875
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:21 am

Re: 2022 Black Panther - Wakanda Forever waves

Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:46 am

I love the new Black Panther. Great update for the Walmart Panther (the one with the cape and spear) that I’ve kept with my modern Avengers for awhile.

I do wish they hadn’t gone with the two-toed boot; it’s an odd choice. Maybe they’ll make a new foot when he inevitably gets some more classic colored release.

Really bizarre that they based this guy and the Hatut Zeraze on…one issue of X-Men Worlds Apart. The Hatut Zeraze in particular never had these glove/boot details otherwise and the artist’s line work ended up being mistakenly used as mask seams on their masks. Plus they missed the collar deco entirely, but that seemed to disappear a lot. I’d probably have bought a lot more of these had they just used the exact same body as Panther in white.
Spiderman91
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:31 pm

Re: 2022 Black Panther - Wakanda Forever waves

Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:08 am

Really odd request - can anybody with the new Wakanda Forever Ironheart do a headswap with a Pepper pots head - ideally the unmasked with the pony tail that comes with the Captain Marvel + Rescue 2 pack?

I have a weird head-cannon where I want to be able to fudge her into a Samus Aran/Metroid custom... just roll with it :)
User avatar
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7459
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:23 am

Re: 2022 Black Panther - Wakanda Forever waves

Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:48 am

Spiderman91 wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:08 am
Really odd request - can anybody with the new Wakanda Forever Ironheart do a headswap with a Pepper pots head - ideally the unmasked with the pony tail that comes with the Captain Marvel + Rescue 2 pack?

I have a weird head-cannon where I want to be able to fudge her into a Samus Aran/Metroid custom... just roll with it :)
I was able to do exactly that, but I don't know how to post pictures. Pepper's head goes onto the peg low enough to look natural but the peg is REALLY snug in the head.
User avatar
sepster
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Just north of 'the D'
Posts: 7888
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:31 am

Re: 2022 Black Panther - Wakanda Forever waves

Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:45 pm

This wave incoming at Pulse.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Garden State
Posts: 42681
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:25 pm

Re: 2022 Black Panther - Wakanda Forever waves

Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:10 pm

sepster wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:45 pm
This wave incoming at Pulse.
Got the same notifications. Didn't remember that the wave is only six figures needed to build Attuma. I've had them all in my cart on Amazon, and have only pulled the trigger on comic BP, Hatut Zeraze, and Namor (all of which are impressive). Not sure if I want to wait for a sale on the three ladies.
User avatar
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7459
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:23 am

Re: 2022 Black Panther - Wakanda Forever waves

Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:15 pm

NORM wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:10 pm
sepster wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:45 pm
This wave incoming at Pulse.
Got the same notifications. Didn't remember that the wave is only six figures needed to build Attuma. I've had them all in my cart on Amazon, and have only pulled the trigger on comic BP, Hatut Zeraze, and Namor (all of which are impressive). Not sure if I want to wait for a sale on the three ladies.
I'll have you know Everett Ross is quite masculine!
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Garden State
Posts: 42681
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:25 pm

Re: 2022 Black Panther - Wakanda Forever waves

Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:18 pm

Ru_1977 wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:15 pm
NORM wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:10 pm
sepster wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:45 pm
This wave incoming at Pulse.
Got the same notifications. Didn't remember that the wave is only six figures needed to build Attuma. I've had them all in my cart on Amazon, and have only pulled the trigger on comic BP, Hatut Zeraze, and Namor (all of which are impressive). Not sure if I want to wait for a sale on the three ladies.
I'll have you know Everett Ross is quite masculine!
Hah, right. I still have it in my mind that the remainder are Okoye, Nakia, and Shuri. Honestly, this is one of my least anticipated waves (and movies) from Marvel right now.
User avatar
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7459
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:23 am

Re: 2022 Black Panther - Wakanda Forever waves

Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:21 pm

I figured, but glad you can laugh with me about it though. To be honest, I had to look to make sure since there was speculation about Ross being switched out after the movie is released and I thought maybe you knew something I didn't.

I'm excited for the movie at least. I probably still won't go to the theater for it as I just don't do that much anymore unless my kids want to see something. I ended up sticking with my Nakia from the first one so Namor was my only purchase from the wave, so I guess I'm not super excited for the wave either, heh.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Garden State
Posts: 42681
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:25 pm

Re: 2022 Black Panther - Wakanda Forever waves

Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:35 pm

Ru_1977 wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:21 pm
I figured, but glad you can laugh with me about it though. To be honest, I had to look to make sure since there was speculation about Ross being switched out after the movie is released and I thought maybe you knew something I didn't.

I'm excited for the movie at least. I probably still won't go to the theater for it as I just don't do that much anymore unless my kids want to see something. I ended up sticking with my Nakia from the first one so Namor was my only purchase from the wave, so I guess I'm not super excited for the wave either, heh.
I like the Everett Ross character, and don't mind having more variety in colors of suit bodies, but he's clearly the cheap out figure of the wave, and in a wave (and cast) as standout as this, it's easy for him to be overlooked.

As for the movie, I'm in the camp that thinks they should have recast T'Challa. So I'm not particularly excited about what we seem to be getting.
User avatar
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7459
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:23 am

Re: 2022 Black Panther - Wakanda Forever waves

Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:38 pm

I get that. I would have accepted it if they had recast him but prefer not to go that way. I'm not super passionate either way though.

And definitely easy to overlook Ross. I had the original for a little while, when I was a completist. But when I decided to give that up, he was one of the first to go.
User avatar
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 11879
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:12 pm

Re: 2022 Black Panther - Wakanda Forever waves

Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:46 pm

I do wonder if I would have been more open to keeping this wave of figures if a figure of the actual movie Black Panther were in the wave. I was conflicted because Black Panther is my absolute favorite - but I stopped with MCU figures. I ordered this wave, but after having them in hand I decided I didn't need them and returned them. I do wonder if I might have felt different if one of the movie figures was actually the main character of the movie? And I know they are likely to reveal a stand alone BP figure for the movie, but I wonder if having it in hand would have made me feel differently about the rest of the wave...

Still super excited to see the film. Have my advance tickets purchased. As for the question of casting - since I vastly prefer T'challa to Shuri in the comics - I do wonder if the multiverse aspect of the MCU will give them an opportunity to recast T'Challa without asking us to pretend it's just the same guy. Shuri as Panther is a valid story - they did it in the comics, interested to see it on screen. But eventually I hope the mantle passes back to T'challa for future movies.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Garden State
Posts: 42681
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:25 pm

Re: 2022 Black Panther - Wakanda Forever waves

Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:20 pm

Call it the comic reader in me, but I personally think the characters need to live on, even if the original actor (or writer or artist) is no longer involved. These characters are bigger than any single actor, writer, artist. Performances and art can live on, but characters go beyond that.
User avatar
sepster
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Just north of 'the D'
Posts: 7888
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:31 am

Re: 2022 Black Panther - Wakanda Forever waves

Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:40 pm

NORM wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:20 pm
Call it the comic reader in me, but I personally think the characters need to live on, even if the original actor (or writer or artist) is no longer involved. These characters are bigger than any single actor, writer, artist. Performances and art can live on, but characters go beyond that.

Agree.

I think Marvel Studios made a quick decision, based mostly on emotion, when Boseman past so close the start of production on Wakanda Forever. I thought Boseman was absolutely fantastic in his performance and portrayal of T'Challa. One of the very best casting choices MS made. But that doesn't mean the character of T'Challa needed to die with him. I wonder if Wakanda Forever was a couple years out at the time of his passing if Marvel Studios would have made the same decision?

With regard to this wave, the new comic Black Panther is the figure I most look forward to. Love the size and the sculpted gloves/boots. Very dynamic looking and the best comic BP to date.
User avatar
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7459
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:23 am

Re: 2022 Black Panther - Wakanda Forever waves

Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:42 pm

NORM wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:20 pm
Call it the comic reader in me, but I personally think the characters need to live on, even if the original actor (or writer or artist) is no longer involved. These characters are bigger than any single actor, writer, artist. Performances and art can live on, but characters go beyond that.
I totally get that, and in a perfect world we'd get massive, long running live action series for these characters to show all the best comic runs acted out. But when I imagine what could happen after Secret Wars, and if they decide to yank a bunch of younger, recast versions of some of these characters into the main reality to continue on for another decade or so... It's just a lot. They obviously want to rotate new characters in more and more without letting any one or small group become the face(s) of the studio as a whole. Black Panther is one thing, but I don't know how realistic it is to hope for an Iron Man 4 with the sparkling new Tony Stark played by the dashing (who ever the hot, youngish actor is right now) when they're so keen on diversifying not only ethnically but also with genres. (I know this isn't what was being discussed, exactly, but my mind continued further down the "bringing back characters who can't be played by the original performer anymore" path.)

And the movies have always simply been their own animal compared to the heavily serialized and long running books. These characters ARE bigger than the people playing them, but at the same time the breadth of screen-worthy characters is also staggering compared to what's already been shown. The movies will always be heavily truncated compared to the source material, where they can delve into any outlandish plot they came up with then get back to status quo months later with a new writer. I remember decades ago when Starlog had their list every issue of genre movies in various states of production, and Black Panther was ALWAYS listed as something about to happen. I eventually gave up on it entirely, and rightly so. I never would have guessed the movie would actually get made though, let alone be so successful, AND he'd appear in three other films.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Garden State
Posts: 42681
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:25 pm

Re: 2022 Black Panther - Wakanda Forever waves

Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:54 pm

I happen to think Joe Quinn, who played Eddie Munson in Stranger Things, resembles RDJr a lot to me. I wouldn't be oppose to seeing him in the role.

But you're right about the truncation of source material, and how the cinematic universe they've built, while vast, is heavily reliant on the talent. That talent doesn't stay young forever. It makes sense to recast when necessary. As long as the quality stays good or gets better.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”