2022 Black Panther - Wakanda Forever waves

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Guardianmonkey
Avengers Assemble

Re: 2022 Black Panther - Wakanda Forever waves

Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:49 pm

Age is absolutely a concern for a character like Namor who, again, is half-naked all the time. RDJ (who was 43 at the time of the first Iron Man film) was cast to play a character that specifically wears a suit of armor.

And the notion that Namor, the very first Marvel Comics character to be published (still waiting on a ML of Jim Hammond!!!), would only be in one movie doesn't appeal to me at all. It's doubtful they would introduce an entire race of people and a lost civilization, only to have it in one single film. Then again, I guess those elves from Dark World never came back ...

Sorry about the tags, I'll fix them now.
Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader

Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:52 pm

Ru_1977 wrote:
joshsquash729 wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:24 pm
Gotta be honest, I know next to nothing about Namor; he never really struck me as that interesting, especially visually, but this version looks pretty cool! It'll make a great figure. It'll definitely be interesting to see how they tackle any underwater scenes as opposed to how DC does Aquaman.
I may know slightly more than you about Namor but I was also never struck by him as an interesting character, especially visually, but this version had totally turned me around. I'll definitely get him, just gotta decide if I'll go for it with the other Atlanteans.
Namor is an extremely interesting character— hero, villain, and anti-hero depending on the situation. He’s got similarities to the movie version of Oceanmaster, a hero of the oceans but a potential villain to anyone living on the land. All with a class 100 strength level. His relationships and rivalries with other heroes and villains are sometimes cooperative and sometimes outright adversarial. It makes him a fascinating character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CTVampSlayer
X-23 gots a boyfriend
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:01 pm

I've only read Namor's appearances in X-Men and big crossovers, where his role is generally to be a one-scene wonder prick to whoever's talking to him, a prick who is begrudgingly on the team for his own reasons, and/or trying to sleep with the Team Blonde. I have no emotional attachment to his classic look since in X-Men he's typically worn a black jumpsuit kind of thing. The MCU Design looks cool to me, I like seeing representation of unfamiliar (to me) cultures applied to Marvel characters on-screen.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:04 pm

Akatsuki wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:52 pm
Ru_1977 wrote:
joshsquash729 wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:24 pm
Gotta be honest, I know next to nothing about Namor; he never really struck me as that interesting, especially visually, but this version looks pretty cool! It'll make a great figure. It'll definitely be interesting to see how they tackle any underwater scenes as opposed to how DC does Aquaman.
I may know slightly more than you about Namor but I was also never struck by him as an interesting character, especially visually, but this version had totally turned me around. I'll definitely get him, just gotta decide if I'll go for it with the other Atlanteans.
Namor is an extremely interesting character— hero, villain, and anti-hero depending on the situation. He’s got similarities to the movie version of Oceanmaster, a hero of the oceans but a potential villain to anyone living on the land. All with a class 100 strength level. His relationships and rivalries with other heroes and villains are sometimes cooperative and sometimes outright adversarial. It makes him a fascinating character.

Thank you for all that. I agree it's compelling for sure, and can see him being a great character on screen. Has the potential to be up there with Loki in a lot of ways.
CTVampSlayer wrote: I've only read Namor's appearances in X-Men and big crossovers, where his role is generally to be a one-scene wonder prick to whoever's talking to him, a prick who is begrudgingly on the team for his own reasons, and/or trying to sleep with the Team Blonde. I have no emotional attachment to his classic look since in X-Men he's typically worn a black jumpsuit kind of thing. The MCU Design looks cool to me
All same for me. My biggest exposure to him was probably during Dark Reign.
Guardianmonkey
Avengers Assemble

Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:13 pm

Namor is super strong, near invulnerable, can fly, and has other vaguely defined "sea life" powers, including but not limited to electricity manipulation (which is where the arcade game got the idea) and even puffing himself up like a puffer fish (he hasn't done that in decades)!

I highly recommend the John Byrne Namor series from the 90s, where the character started up a multi-national conglomerate using funds from sunken ships, specifically to protect the environment. It was a similar thing that Byrne had done with Lex Luthor, introducing a "board room" side to the character. It was a fun series with a very odd end (though Jae Lee was quite the exciting artist at the time).

Namor has always appealed to me far more than Aquaman, even beyond just the surface (no pun intended) details. Hell, the entire "grungy" look of the current Aquaman is basically lifted from Namor. Until the 90s, Aquaman was singularly blond and clean cut, even during his brief foray with the "camo" costume. It wasn't until Peter David got on the book around Zero Hour when Aquaman started to morph into a version of the temperamental, dangerous Namor. Jason Mamoa's casting pushed it even further, with the movie version of Aquaman at least looking a helluva lot closer to one of Namor's amnesiac, wanderer periods.

And now that I'm really thinking about it, Aquaman's modern origin is lifted directly from Namor's background! But that's enough for now ...
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:37 am

Guardianmonkey wrote:My main problem is with the casting. They picked a 41 year old dude to play Namor. How long can he last in the role of a character that is near-naked all the time? I have the same problem with
Spoiler! :
MCU Hercules,
the casting (same age problem, big time look problem). It seems to have been the biggest pickle since Endgame, they just aren't capturing the same magic as they used to when casting these roles.
I actually think both of those work for those roles particularly.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:39 am

Guardianmonkey wrote:Age is absolutely a concern for a character like Namor who, again, is half-naked all the time. RDJ (who was 43 at the time of the first Iron Man film) was cast to play a character that specifically wears a suit of armor.

And the notion that Namor, the very first Marvel Comics character to be published (still waiting on a ML of Jim Hammond!!!), would only be in one movie doesn't appeal to me at all. It's doubtful they would introduce an entire race of people and a lost civilization, only to have it in one single film. Then again, I guess those elves from Dark World never came back ...

Sorry about the tags, I'll fix them now.
Eh, they'll just put him in his black vest if he loses shape. But theres plenty of buff 50 somethings

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Mr potatohead
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:23 pm

I 2nd John Byrne's Namor and that it made him much more interesting. I skipped it when it 1st was printed, but picked up the new Omnibus when it came out last year. Unfortunately, Byrne left the book midstream (pun intended) before finishing his direction for the character and the clown that took it over went straight back to the boring (in my opinion) version of Namor and with really weak stories to boot. I was a big fan of Lee's work on Hellstrom where his bizarre style really added to the book, but have to admit I found it very much distracting from the story and actually was repulsed by it the longer he was on the book.

I'm hopeful for Namor to be treated as important as he is since he's one of the 1st 3 heroes in Marvel Comics #1 and technically the 1st hero if you read the stories in order.
Mr potatohead
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:25 pm

Guardianmonkey wrote:
Then again, I guess those elves from Dark World never came back ...
They've been back for cameos twice so far, so they definitely aren't ignoring them. I don't think they wholly throw any concept out, but they may re-interpret them.
Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader

Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:45 pm

Mr potatohead wrote:
Guardianmonkey wrote:
Then again, I guess those elves from Dark World never came back ...
They've been back for cameos twice so far, so they definitely aren't ignoring them. I don't think they wholly throw any concept out, but they may re-interpret them.
The Dark Elves invaded Earth and the other realms as the main antagonists in War of the Realms in the comics. Lots of the comic Dark Elves featured the MCU design.

Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:50 pm

It seems like we have a good guess at the wave now but one character who is apparently not returning
Spoiler! :
is W'kabi. So probably still no figure there.

Also some merch leaked with our first look at Nakia:

Right after I went ahead and ordered the first movie version, heh.
MCUCompletionist
Avengers Assemble

Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:14 pm

I really want all the characters from the film, like all of them, even if they show up later, I really like Ironhearts look, Namor, Attuma and Namora as well as Nakia and Shuri and honestly the whole group.
JoshuaKat
CROM!

Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:30 am

Maybe RiRi will be a deluxe, allowing Attuma to be the BAF freeing up an extra spot for Nakia. Because she looks good from the little I can see and I'd prefer a figure of her not in Dora gear.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:53 am

JoshuaKat wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:30 am
Maybe RiRi will be a deluxe, allowing Attuma to be the BAF freeing up an extra spot for Nakia. Because she looks good from the little I can see and I'd prefer a figure of her not in Dora gear.
Yeah...I hate to admit but same here. I was a fool to buy the BP1 version.
MCUCompletionist
Avengers Assemble

Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:51 am

If that Comic/MCU 5:2 line-up is right my guess is

1. Shuri
2. Nakia
3. Namor
4. Namora
5. Okoye (or Ironheart)

BAF: Attuma, I wouldn't mind having another M'Baku (assuming he looked different) but as either a deluxe or store exclusive

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”