Re: What's next for ML in 2022-2023

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
DetectiveHoag
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Re: What's next for ML in 2022-2023

Tue May 24, 2022 6:49 pm

MarvelLegendsMan wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 6:40 pm
Mark_Bowen wrote:
MarvelLegendsMan wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 11:40 am
Warning! FRAT! :
No thanks. Terrax was released in 2012. 10 years ago.

Some of us weren't collecting then, and would like a chance to get characters in their classic looks.
I get that Terrax is a gap in newer collectors' collections, but guys like Air-Walker, Wizard, Trapster etc. are gaps in not just their collections, but all the rest of ours, too. If Hasbro makes a Wizard—or whichever never-made character you want as much as you want a Terrax—then they're filling filling a gap in both yours and my collections, whereas a straight Terrax rerelease/redo doesn't check any character off of my list. Why fill just one gap when they can fill two, ya know? There's got to be a character you'd want just as much or more than Terrax that Hasbro has never made, and I think that character should get higher priority than ol' Tyros.

(And before anyone mentions it: no, I wouldn't extend that logic to A-listers, because people need a good Spider-Man or Wolverine in their collections 10x more than they need a Terrax or a Wizard. What I'm talking about is getting new characters of equal or greater value than existing but hard-to-find figures. An X-Men collection with their every villain but missing a Storm or Cyclops is an incomplete X-Men collection; an X-Men collection missing an Avalanche or Destiny is just a bummer. They're different levels.)

My suggesting that, should Hasbro take another bite at this apple, they make him the Truly Enlightened version, is me trying to meet you half-way. I'm saying that if you can look past it not being the exact outfit you'd prefer, I could look past him getting his second shot when there are plenty of guys with better Q-ratings than him who still haven't gotten their *first* figure. You don't get your ideal Terrax, but you do get a reasonable approximation; I don't get to add a new character to my collection, but I at least get a figure I don't already own.

(For the record, if I had to bet, I'd say it's 70:30 that their next Terrax is in the outfit you want. I'd give it even odds whether it's just a rerelease of the old one [with possibly some small improvements, à la the Thor 3 wave Ares figure] vs. a new figure.)
What do Wizard or Trapster have to do with this? There are PLENTY of characters with a higher "Q" rating than Terrax who haven't been made yet, and many that I would prefer to have ahead of Terrax, but we're talking strictly about heralds here. Dan Yun's Tweet suggested that another Herald of Galactus is coming, and I don't think Air-Walker or Stardust have higher "Q" ratings than Terrax. I'd like to have them all, but Terrax feels a lot more integral than those two.

I'd put the odds at 100:0 that if they are releasing Terrax (or updating him) that he will be in his classic costume, or something very close to it. I can't imagine all that many people are interested in, know about or would purchase Terrax in some alternate universe look. I wouldn't.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Hey. I think we all remember the Trapster’s stint as a Herald of Galactus. It was that incredibly intricate, and long story where Pete.. well, he.. he was a Herald.. and.. well, he led Galactus to Mongo. Galactus ate it, Ming and all. I’m sure we all remember that.
No! Don’t take my phone away! I’m fine! I will not take that pill! I won’t..,MRRGH! ..gulp..
Oh. That’s better.
Mark_Bowen
Runs Around in Tights

Tue May 24, 2022 11:26 pm

MarvelLegendsMan wrote:
What do Wizard or Trapster have to do with this? There are PLENTY of characters with a higher "Q" rating than Terrax who haven't been made yet, and many that I would prefer to have ahead of Terrax, but we're talking strictly about heralds here. Dan Yun's Tweet suggested that another Herald of Galactus is coming, and I don't think Air-Walker or Stardust have higher "Q" ratings than Terrax. I'd like to have them all, but Terrax feels a lot more integral than those two.
Yeah, Dan Yun's tweet was about heralds, true, but it provided a jumping off point for me to speak a little more broadly about the line.

MarvelLegendsMan wrote:
I'd put the odds at 100:0 that if they are releasing Terrax (or updating him) that he will be in his classic costume, or something very close to it. I can't imagine all that many people are interested in, know about or would purchase Terrax in some alternate universe look. I wouldn't.
I'd argue that the costume in the pic I posted *is* close to his “classic” look; the colors are different, sure, but imo Terrax isn't someone whose palette is at all integral to his look in the way it is to a Spider-Man or a Hulk. That costume has all the key details — skirt, rock beard, space axe, and silly Dragon Ball Z shoulder pads. I get that it's not precisely the version you want, but he's close enough that I think enough people would still buy him to put a Terrax on their shelves. When I started proper collecting—around the time of the Terrax BAF wave, as a matter of fact—I bought Hasbro's first Ben Reilly Spider-Man off eBay because he was the closest thing to a decent red and blue Spidey that could be had without taking out another mortgage at the time. Was I a fan of Ben Reilly or the Clone Saga? Heck no, I like good comics! But he was close enough.*

What about this costume, is it any more to your liking? Or still a nah?

I hope I'm not coming across as trying to convince you to like or want something you don't, or like I'm saying “screw new(er) collectors — I got mine!” That's not my intent at all. At the end of the day, you want what you want and I want what I want, and that's fine! Really, I think I just was hoping someone would see the pic I posted and go “sure, that'd be fine!” because it bums me out how often I see posts on here where people will dismiss anything that came after their time (which is usually somewhere in the dregs of the mid-to-late '90s) out of hand.

Anyway, like I said, I think he'll probably come in the costume you're hoping for (if we do indeed get him), so my theory of him selling fine in either costume isn't likely to be tested.

*Or so I thought. Once I had him in hand, all the body's flaws become immediately apparent. But it wasn't the costume's fault that the figure stunk!
H-bird
hbwrdlngiv, after secondary mutation

Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:43 pm

New ML reveal today per Dan’s Twitter!
Rob W
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:13 pm

Fingers crossed it's the next Walgreens villain. Toes crossed that villain is Mandarin or something F4.

Suspect it'll probably be something MCU though - they seem to get most of the one-off reveals, and there are still a few more slots in the latest D+ wave.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:49 pm

Unless something has changed, we already know what those slots are, so one probably won't be shown until the week Ms Marvel premieres and the other when She-Hulk does.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:23 pm

Ru_1977 wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:49 pm
Unless something has changed, we already know what those slots are, so one probably won't be shown until the week Ms Marvel premieres and the other when She-Hulk does.
Yeah, I'd ignore what this idiot said.
Rob W
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:24 pm

Rob W wrote:
Fingers crossed it's the next Walgreens villain. Toes crossed that villain is Mandarin or something F4.

Suspect it'll probably be something MCU though - they seem to get most of the one-off reveals, and there are still a few more slots in the latest D+ wave.
It's no fun being right...
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:28 pm

Rob W wrote:
Rob W wrote:

Meanwhile, I enjoyed being wrong. I guess today is gonna be like that...
Rob W
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:33 pm

Ru_1977 wrote:
Rob W wrote:
Rob W wrote:

Meanwhile, I enjoyed being wrong. I guess today is gonna be like that...
Yep, Legends giveth and it taketh away… :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Basil Elks
Remembers, things, best, forgotten,
Location: the Firm's morgue {which, oddly enough, is in British Columbia}

Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:22 pm

When is the reveal? Or has it happened already, and it was just a "meh" for me, that I didn't take notice of?
Basil Elks
Remembers, things, best, forgotten,
Location: the Firm's morgue {which, oddly enough, is in British Columbia}

Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:33 pm

Basil Elks wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:22 pm
When is the reveal? Or has it happened already, and it was just a "meh" for me, that I didn't take notice of?
Never mind, I found my answer, it was a "meh".
Capman
Amalgam version of "Bat America"

Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:02 am

MCU Kamala revealed, looks good:

Roufuss
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:25 pm

Looks like Target is still in the ML game. Solid cases of Bonebreaker Wolverine were found in-store.

Probably the worst wave to do solid cases on, imo…
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:26 pm

Wolverine will move. May take some time, but it will sell.
Ash Talon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:50 pm

DetectiveHoag wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 6:49 pm
Hey. I think we all remember the Trapster’s stint as a Herald of Galactus.
Laugh all you want, but a powered up Trapster could trap residents of a Galactus meal planet. Not allowing them to flee. All that extra living energy could help feed Galactus.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”