Re: What's next for ML in 2022-2023

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
TheLoneToyman
Avengers Assemble
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Re: What's next for ML in 2022-2023

Fri May 20, 2022 6:07 pm

I was thinking about the Iron Man Retro War Machine earlier and this is where Hasbro's price increases really hit home. I don't need that figure, I'm perfectly fine with the deluxe version from a couple of years ago. But if it was closer to the $20 price point, I probably would pick one up anyway to display in either the hall of armor or with the un-helmeted head from the original figure. But at $28 that's not even a consideration for me as I just don't see the value in what we're getting. There are going to be a lot more figures that I don't "need" going forward at these prices.
Stark Resilient
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 20, 2022 9:05 pm

TheLoneToyman wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 6:07 pm
I was thinking about the Iron Man Retro War Machine earlier and this is where Hasbro's price increases really hit home. I don't need that figure, I'm perfectly fine with the deluxe version from a couple of years ago. But if it was closer to the $20 price point, I probably would pick one up anyway to display in either the hall of armor or with the un-helmeted head from the original figure. But at $28 that's not even a consideration for me as I just don't see the value in what we're getting. There are going to be a lot more figures that I don't "need" going forward at these prices.
He's $25 on amazon and Dorkside
StjJames
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 20, 2022 9:38 pm

Morph is the 20th of the month reveal,for the X-men animated line!
Samael13
way more of a know-it-all than you

Sat May 21, 2022 4:43 am

CTVampSlayer wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 4:28 pm
I've seen this comment a lot and don't really understand it. This version of Morph only appeared in X-Men: The Animated Series, right? Why would they do a standard ("comic") version of this character beyond the TAS specific line? Not being snarky, genuinely asking.
Because a lot of people already bought the non-"cel shaded" figures to be their version of the animated team, and they don't want a cel shaded figure who won't fit in with those.
spideyboy1111 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 5:09 pm
i don't really understand why anyone is considering these figures or the comic jim lee ones "the animated team" when the figures really haven't been the character designs at all. just vague stand-ins.

i get enjoying the closest you have available, but that's what makes this whole double-dipping shoddy repaint line the biggest head scratcher.
Because everyone has a different mental image of what the characters should look like and they smooth over the inconsistencies or the different stylizations. This happens with the comic figures, too. Some people want the figures to match, exactly, with a specific panel/appearance/episode. Others (like me) don't mind if there are differences or if a figure sort of merges together a bunch of similar looks.

Personally, the cartoon (like the comics) was often plagued by inconsistencies in color and design, so I'm not expecting any figure to be "perfect." Some things I care more about than others. Jean being the wrong shade of orange? Doesn't bother me. I was watching this show on a shitty CRT in a basement that had pretty crap color on it, to begin with. She's orange? Great! Other things I'd care about a lot. Rogue's costume is blue instead of green? That's a problem. Cyclops doesn't have his straps or has the old condom-head look? That's not right. I've definitely caught myself thinking "Oh, this is a great figure!" and someone else will be ranting about what a terrible representation it is. I'm definitely pretty far on "forgiving" side of the spectrum, I think. I'm not the target audience for this sub-line, anyway, but I can definitely see the argument that these are kind of straddling a line; they're not quite animated enough to appeal to people who really like cel-shaded figured, but they're too stylized for people who don't like cel-shaded figures at all. I feel like they probably should have gone all in on them.
Nebraska
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 21, 2022 11:36 am

I hope Morph receives a second, pasty head with racoon eyes.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Scotch n Ciggs
CROM!

Sat May 21, 2022 12:13 pm

sepster wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 4:33 pm
Maybe because it would be an update of the TB 5" figure which did not have cell-shading?
Then maybe those screwups at toybiz should've done it right the first time.
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon May 23, 2022 6:39 am

CTVampSlayer wrote:
september_death wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 4:06 pm
Really hope he gets a Fan Channel figure at some point without the cel shading. I want him, but am not in for the animated line. Between the retro figures and the Love Triangle set, I have a spare set of the animated team already….

I've seen this comment a lot and don't really understand it. This version of Morph only appeared in X-Men: The Animated Series, right? Why would they do a standard ("comic") version of this character beyond the TAS specific line? Not being snarky, genuinely asking.

As kids, we weren't, or at least I wasn't, separating the cartoon from the comics. I didn't know what Earth-616 was. It was all "X-Men" to me. Look back on the old Toy-Biz toys from the '90s. They had a figure of Morph, who was only in the cartoon. They also had a figure of Colossus in his costume. He was only in the cartoon in a tanktop, never his costume. So that's a comic Colossus figure with a cartoon Morph figure. They were all together in the same toy line. That's what I think most of us want now, just for all the figures to blend together like they're from the same universe. If we want to separate them into the Animated Series team, or into the comic based-Blue and Gold teams, we can use the same figures for both because for the most part, they had the same designs outside of rare instances like Colossus only being in a tank top.
Bashbash99
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon May 23, 2022 1:29 pm

CTVampSlayer wrote:
As others have mentioned, many here started building their "animated' team using the comic offerings beginning with 90s Rogue in Jugg wave then 90s Cyke in Warlock wave etc. So they would like a Morph that would fit in with that group of figures. That's about the size of it although additionally many just do not care for the cel-shading look on figures. Others like it, so to each their own.

I am sure Morph will get a "comic" version but it probably will be awhile, so as to ensure as many as possible buy the animated version instead of choosing to wait.
gpmartin414
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon May 23, 2022 2:49 pm

Also, there is technically a comic version of this Morph: To coincide with the animated series, Marvel released comic adaptions of the first three seasons in a title called "X-Men Adventures," and later even expanded with new, in-animated-continuity stories in "The Adventures of the X-Men." "X-Men Adventures" is getting a hardcover omnibus release at the end of the year, and "The Adventuress of the X-Men" is getting a trade paperback at the same time. So these stories are definitely on Marvel's radar (likely because of the Disney+ series "X-Men '97").
Hbhf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon May 23, 2022 4:59 pm

ig64
Hot Female Designated Assassin Droid

Mon May 23, 2022 5:03 pm

september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon May 23, 2022 5:04 pm

I wonder if Havok’s effects were trial and error for Air Walker.
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon May 23, 2022 5:12 pm

Nebraska wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 11:36 am
I hope Morph receives a second, pasty head with racoon eyes.

Can you make a few more wishes? I thought you were really reaching for the stars, but nope, your wishes are apparently meant to come true. :shock:

TheLoneToyman
Avengers Assemble

Mon May 23, 2022 5:19 pm

I like the sculpted straps on the legs and boots. Much better than the loose ones on Cyclops. I wonder if they'd do a re-release of Scott using those?
sepster
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon May 23, 2022 5:32 pm

This team has to be coming considering they put the effort into sculpting entirely new pinless legs with the straps.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”