Looks Like We're getting an MCU Thor Wave Announcement Soon

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
DerRabbi
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Looks Like We're getting an MCU Thor Wave Announcement Soon

Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:03 am

I’d love Classic card for Thor, Cap Amer, etc in the style of the 90s Spider-Man & FF cards that never existed in their time. Iron Man had a line in the 90s with cards of that style and they’ve never used it.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:47 am

Ash Talon wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:19 pm
I'll take pretty much any Thor villain made. The following are my "needed." Anything beyond them is gravy.

Balder
Fandral
Hogun
Volstagg
Executioner
Kurse
This is what frustrates me - I think 90 percent of Thor fans would list these same 6 figures. And it has been 20 years waiting as ToyBiz never got to them either. These are not obscure characters either, nor characters with boring looks.
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:03 am

EnigmaticClarity wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:54 am
Before I say this, realize that Daredevil is one of my favorite superheroes ever, and I own the entire run of Daredevil comics. So I'm a huge fan.

But he's a weird super-powered copy of Batman. If you take Batman and give him the traits of a bat--i.e. the terrible eyesight and the sonar--you get Daredevil. Even the story elements are similar--both lost parents while they were kids, are highly motivated by that, and they both defend the innocent on their home turfs of Gotham and Hell's Kitchen. The parallels are too numerous to be coincidental, and I often wonder if Stan even realizes how much of Batman he stole when creating Daredevil.

I like Batman enough to find that concept not derivative but cool, and it makes me like Daredevil even more thinking of him as a super-powered Batman. :D But he's never been terribly popular. More than popular enough to keep going, but nowhere near the level of a Spidey, Cap, Iron Man, or Thor.

Marvel has 100 Batman ripoff characters, but I don't think Daredevil is one. Half of the world's superheroes lost their parents at a young age, and I think the similarities pretty much end there.
Mr potatohead
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:53 pm

TheSameIdiot wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:03 am
EnigmaticClarity wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:54 am
Before I say this, realize that Daredevil is one of my favorite superheroes ever, and I own the entire run of Daredevil comics. So I'm a huge fan.

But he's a weird super-powered copy of Batman. If you take Batman and give him the traits of a bat--i.e. the terrible eyesight and the sonar--you get Daredevil. Even the story elements are similar--both lost parents while they were kids, are highly motivated by that, and they both defend the innocent on their home turfs of Gotham and Hell's Kitchen. The parallels are too numerous to be coincidental, and I often wonder if Stan even realizes how much of Batman he stole when creating Daredevil.

I like Batman enough to find that concept not derivative but cool, and it makes me like Daredevil even more thinking of him as a super-powered Batman. :D But he's never been terribly popular. More than popular enough to keep going, but nowhere near the level of a Spidey, Cap, Iron Man, or Thor.

Marvel has 100 Batman ripoff characters, but I don't think Daredevil is one. Half of the world's superheroes lost their parents at a young age, and I think the similarities pretty much end there.
Nuh-uh! They both have pointy protrusions on the top of their cowls :P
Thor-El
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:57 pm

fac wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:47 am
Ash Talon wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:19 pm
I'll take pretty much any Thor villain made. The following are my "needed." Anything beyond them is gravy.

Balder
Fandral
Hogun
Volstagg
Executioner
Kurse
This is what frustrates me - I think 90 percent of Thor fans would list these same 6 figures. And it has been 20 years waiting as ToyBiz never got to them either. These are not obscure characters either, nor characters with boring looks.
Preach it, gentlemen. And you're absolutely right. I think comic versions of those listed characters are both universally listed and much-desired from fans.
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:53 pm

Ru_1977 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:57 pm
spideyboy1111 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:18 pm
september_death wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:04 am
What comic Starlord would they put in this wave anyways?
he wouldn't be comic ;)
Hmm... what do you know? (not an actual movie spoiler)
Spoiler! :
um.. it's pretty common knowledge star lord is in the film.. and has another new costume variant
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:48 pm

spideyboy1111 wrote:
Ru_1977 wrote:
spideyboy1111 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:18 pm

he wouldn't be comic ;)
Spoiler! :
um.. it's pretty common knowledge star lord is in the film.. and has another new costume variant
Oh. Man. Thank you but all that waiting for that?!? Heh. I thought maybe you knew something about the actual wave, but yeah I actually posted a pic of his costume somewhere in the thread last week.
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:46 pm

Ru_1977 wrote:
spideyboy1111 wrote:
Ru_1977 wrote:

Spoiler! :
Oh. Man. Thank you but all that waiting for that?!? Heh. I thought maybe you knew something about the actual wave, but yeah I actually posted a pic of his costume somewhere in the thread last week.
lol, sorry for the delay, work has been nuts, haven't been on as much
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:47 pm

spideyboy1111 wrote:
Ru_1977 wrote:
spideyboy1111 wrote:

End of the year stuff? I get it.
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:10 pm

Ru_1977 wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:47 pm
spideyboy1111 wrote:
Ru_1977 wrote:

End of the year stuff? I get it.
lol yeah, i do event decor. I'm about christmas'ed out already
Hbhf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:26 pm

I'm a huge Daredevil fan and there are several big wants I want out of a DD wave (namely Lady Bullseye and Echo) , but I can see why he hasn't had his own wave yet. The time when the iron was hottest to strike was when the TV show was airing, and that was a while ago now. Since then he hasn't had any new starring media to put him in the mainstream spotlight.

When you look at how Legends structures its waves, there are evergreen properties like Spider-Man, the X-Men, the Avengers and, to a lesser extent I guess the Fantastic Four, but other than that it seems like other characters only get dedicated waves when there's some sort of big tie-in media featuring them. The Guardians of the Galaxy, Black Panther, Doctor Strange, Captain Marvel, Shang-Chi, Ant-Man... the first time any of them got dedicated waves was when they had movies out. Before this year, the last time we got an Iron Man wave was 2013, when Iron Man 3 was in theaters, which is kind of insane given his popularity and how prominent the character has been in Legends since its inception.

But that said, Thor's been consistently appearing in movies since 2011 now and is at A-list status. So the fact that he hasn't had a comic wave is still really annoying. Even if there aren't a ton of characters I'm personally interested in, it's clear many are. I see classic Skurge brought up in just about every single wishlist convo I see on multiple sites. Thor, Iron Man and Cap should all have comic waves as at least a semi-annual thing.
H-bird
hbwrdlngiv, after secondary mutation

Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:47 am

I would love if there were 2 rotating dedicated character themed waves per year. The Ursa Major wave was one of the best waves in years and the strong theme definitely helped - something similar for Thor, Daredevil, and others would be aces.
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:58 pm

100ptsofarticulation wrote:I've mentioned this before, I can't believe daredevil and Thor have never had a dedicated comic wave.

They're flagship characters. I'll throw cap in there as well, how have these characters not had a dedicated comic wave? Ever?
The sad thing is, theres not a whole lot of "daredevil" left to justify a wave. Lots of C and D list.. Unless they can manage to put in another elektra and Bullseye.

But we already have the heavy hitters

- Daredevil
- Elektra
- Kingpin
- Hand Ninjas (2 forms)
- Typhoid Mary
- Purple Man
- Nuke
- Stiltman
- Mysterio
- Electro
- Frogman

Now.. yes, we can get redos of Bullseye, elektra in white, daredevil, classic typhoid, leap frog instead of frogman, etc...

But if not, I dont really see a wave hitting retail thats like...

- Daredevil
- Stick
- Gladiator
- Echo
- Matador
- Mister Fear
- Lady Bullseye
BAF The Owl

We'd all buy it, but would retail?

Maybe do it as a online exclusive wave

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Valo487
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:18 am

spideyboy1111 wrote:
- Daredevil
- Stick
- Gladiator
- Echo
- Matador
- Mister Fear
- Lady Bullseye
BAF The Owl
This wave would be my dream wave. No exaggeration.
H-bird
hbwrdlngiv, after secondary mutation

Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:22 am

spideyboy1111 wrote:
100ptsofarticulation wrote:I've mentioned this before, I can't believe daredevil and Thor have never had a dedicated comic wave.

They're flagship characters. I'll throw cap in there as well, how have these characters not had a dedicated comic wave? Ever?
The sad thing is, theres not a whole lot of "daredevil" left to justify a wave. Lots of C and D list.. Unless they can manage to put in another elektra and Bullseye.

But we already have the heavy hitters

- Daredevil
- Elektra
- Kingpin
- Hand Ninjas (2 forms)
- Typhoid Mary
- Purple Man
- Nuke
- Stiltman
- Mysterio
- Electro
- Frogman

Now.. yes, we can get redos of Bullseye, elektra in white, daredevil, classic typhoid, leap frog instead of frogman, etc...

But if not, I dont really see a wave hitting retail thats like...

- Daredevil
- Stick
- Gladiator
- Echo
- Matador
- Mister Fear
- Lady Bullseye
BAF The Owl

We'd all buy it, but would retail?

Maybe do it as a online exclusive wave

Bring on the Bad Guys is evidence to me that Hasbro is willing to put together a wave that isn't obviously carried by a slew of top names. The composition of that wave more closely resembles a wishlist someone here would drop than a wave I would have expected to be produced. Take your (excellent) wave, replace one of the figures with white Elektra, and I don't see much difference between the two. Or expand DD to be more of a Marvel Knights theme and throw in Colleen Wing, Power Man and Iron Fist, White Tiger, etc.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”