Future MCU Spiderman/ No Way Home Legends Speculation and Discussion

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
legendkiller533
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Re: Future MCU Spiderman/ No Way Home Legends Speculation and Discussion

Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:47 pm

spideyboy1111 wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:42 pm
garrettlcustoms wrote:Rumor is there's a Raimi Tobey coming as a Target Exclusive with no info on a NWH Wave 2.

Seems we're looking at an Endgame situation fellas. Someone at Sony/Marvel screwed up not getting designs to the team or the team dropped the ball badly on getting these things done and made.

Looks like I'll be waiting a loooong time for my NWH Andrew Spidey. Figures cuz that'll be my end all be all Spidey.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Theres a spidey wave coming at the end of the year. No word on who's in it or if it's no way home related or not. I wouldnt jump to conclusions

The hasbro guys also said they learned about the villains when we did in the trailer. So clearly they also weren't told about Tobey or Andrew.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
so it randomly struck me the other day that there is no way this is true. Molina dropped that he was going to be in the movie back in april it looks like. Surely someone on that team heard the news then. It would still be too late to get anything in that wave but they knew before that trailer dropped.
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:29 pm

legendkiller533 wrote:
spideyboy1111 wrote:
garrettlcustoms wrote:Rumor is there's a Raimi Tobey coming as a Target Exclusive with no info on a NWH Wave 2.

Seems we're looking at an Endgame situation fellas. Someone at Sony/Marvel screwed up not getting designs to the team or the team dropped the ball badly on getting these things done and made.

Looks like I'll be waiting a loooong time for my NWH Andrew Spidey. Figures cuz that'll be my end all be all Spidey.

Theres a spidey wave coming at the end of the year. No word on who's in it or if it's no way home related or not. I wouldnt jump to conclusions

The hasbro guys also said they learned about the villains when we did in the trailer. So clearly they also weren't told about Tobey or Andrew.

so it randomly struck me the other day that there is no way this is true. Molina dropped that he was going to be in the movie back in april it looks like. Surely someone on that team heard the news then. It would still be too late to get anything in that wave but they knew before that trailer dropped.
and just because an actor says he's in the movie does it mean hasbro was given concept art of the actor in the movie.... they don't make figures blindly based off of casting.
legendkiller533
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:01 pm

spideyboy1111 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:29 pm
legendkiller533 wrote:
spideyboy1111 wrote:

and just because an actor says he's in the movie does it mean hasbro was given concept art of the actor in the movie.... they don't make figures blindly based off of casting.
well there is a listing for a target dock ock that could be from this movie. my overall point though is they at least had a lead time of april but i would think if they weren't clued into anything about this movie, that finding out about that casting would lead to some communication.
e-rock
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:12 pm

They also had the Jamie Foxx announcement prior to that.
garrettlcustoms
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:27 pm

I've NEVER bought Dan saying they were finding out about stuff just as we were. There's simply NO WAY, this would be literally the first time that happened and it's also simply bad business to hold back your biggest moneymaker/draw from a very successful toy company.

Clearly other companies knew, we had Spider-Men shirts... what? A week after release? We got promo art on the Marvel site around the same timeframe. There is no way that there weren't merch/promo/marketing people who knew this stuff so how could Hasbro of all people not know/have concepts?

That's why I'm more inclined to be pissed at Hasbro for screwing this up than being mad at Sony or Marvel for holding back designs.

As for Tobey being Target exclusive, I'm mad but not TOO worried. That exclusive will likely be based on younger, Raimi Trilogy Tobey and whenever we get NWH Tobey, that's likely to be a wide release. People WILL get their Tobeys. It's still a shitty move on everyone's part but it won't keep people from getting a Tobey *at some point.* Plus, it's likely that the only difference will be the unmasked head which many people will sell off separately and/or casts of it will be available very soon after release for those that want the younger face sculpt but could only snag the NWH version.

However if it comes out with a young AND old face, SCREW YOU GUYS TO THE ENTH DEGREE. I have excellent luck with Target exclusives and even I would be pissed if that's what they did because that's simply not fair to other collectors who aren't as lucky with their Targets.

I am however VERY mad that there's not a whiff of Andrew, NWH/TASM2 or even TASM1. He was an undeniable highlight of the movie, fans came around on him in a big way and he's often said to be one of the best parts of the movie. Not to mention it's looking increasingly likely that due to the response, he's gonna be Spidey for the SSU movies like Venom and Morbius. The poor dude had a hell of a lot to prove in a movie not even his own after years of getting shit on and he DELIVERED. Give him a damn good action figure Hasbro and do it quickly. You botched his look last time, don't you dare do it twice.

Valo487
CROM!

Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:09 pm

Based on just the fact that it’s Spider-Man, and how successful the movie was, I have no doubt whatsoever that virtually everything that people would want will eventually get made from this, the only question I have is how long it will take them. We’re still getting stuff from Spider-Verse, I hope they don’t drag it out for years for this one.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:13 pm

garrettlcustoms wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:27 pm
I've NEVER bought Dan saying they were finding out about stuff just as we were. There's simply NO WAY, this would be literally the first time that happened and it's also simply bad business to hold back your biggest moneymaker/draw from a very successful toy company.

Clearly other companies knew, we had Spider-Men shirts... what? A week after release? We got promo art on the Marvel site around the same timeframe. There is no way that there weren't merch/promo/marketing people who knew this stuff so how could Hasbro of all people not know/have concepts?

That's why I'm more inclined to be pissed at Hasbro for screwing this up than being mad at Sony or Marvel for holding back designs.
At first I took Dan's comment as misdirection - not a lie per se but like Garfield denying he was in the film, necessary to not spoil things. But the fact nothing has been announced makes me fully believe that Sony held stuff back and they had no time to develop a line from concept art or had approvals to move forward. I agree it is terrible business and Hasbro has to be frustrated/angry about it.

I think Hasbro makes some odd choices, but there is no way the same company that made a half-dozen What If...? figure and nearly a dozen Eternals figures decides that a Spider-Man film that unites well-known characters from films that made billions of dollars over decades is only worth a few figures.

T-shirts and posters and stuff like that are apples to oranges - those can go into production a day after the artwork is sent over. Toys take many months to develop.
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:14 pm

For sure - this stuff is definitely coming. If Black Panther milked a second wave - this will be mined for a while. I can't see many other MCU films post Endgame generating this much hype, which means multiple waves, deluxe releases and revisits are definitely in the planning. Obviously those lacking patience will be miffed - but for the rest of us I don't think there is any doubt these figures are coming. If nothing comes in 2022 - just imagine what the Top 10 2023 list will look like.
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:18 pm

I don't think there is much of a conspiracy here. Marvel Studios didn't want to risk leaks of production images or figure assortments. It's entirely plausible Hasbro saw nothing concrete until recently. I think it's kinda cool Marvel went to that extreme to make this a surprise in an age where there are no surprises left. This would indicate that conversations involving manufactured product based on spoilers probably happened after the movie came out or are happening now. We might see the Spider-Men and villains announced in the Summer or Fall. Optimistically.

Marvel may have said verbally to Hasbro to keep some assortments available for something huge, but it's very realistic Hasbro never actually saw anything until after the movie came out.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:31 pm

This was a Sony production that Marvel Studios collaborated with. As others have noted, the licensing and working agreements are different as Spidey is not, film-wise, solely Marvel intellectual property - which means even if Marvel Studios trusted Hasbro, it wasn't their information to give out without Sony consent. We haven't seen this with the Marvel only films, so it has to be on Sony.

I was looking around and even Funko, who as near as I can tell can get a Pop out there about as fast as any collectible, only has inside-out suit Spidey, Dr Strange, Ned and MJ. Not sure if anything else is out or announced.

I think though it is not just impatience that makes it frustrating, it is missed revenue opportunity for the Legends brand that can be used for tooling and such across the line overall. Een if the revenue is just delayed, but really hitting while the iron is hot matters for sales, so I think it would be very optimistic to think that sales in 9 months would match sales that would have happened in the last few weeks.
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:37 pm

fac wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:31 pm
This was a Sony production that Marvel Studios collaborated with. As others have noted, the licensing and working agreements are different as Spidey is not, film-wise, solely Marvel intellectual property - which means even if Marvel Studios trusted Hasbro, it wasn't their information to give out without Sony consent. We haven't seen this with the Marvel only films, so it has to be on Sony.

I was looking around and even Funko, who as near as I can tell can get a Pop out there about as fast as any collectible, only has inside-out suit Spidey, Dr Strange, Ned and MJ. Not sure if anything else is out or announced.

I think though it is not just impatience that makes it frustrating, it is missed revenue opportunity for the Legends brand that can be used for tooling and such across the line overall. Een if the revenue is just delayed, but really hitting while the iron is hot matters for sales, so I think it would be very optimistic to think that sales in 9 months would match sales that would have happened in the last few weeks.
They definitely made the sacrifice to hold certain products back in favor of the surprise (a move I think is really cool, especially today - it was done to enhance the theatrical experience as opposed to cash in on merchandise.)

If there were ZERO No Way Home products on the shelves at movie release, I'd agree with you. There are items on the shelves for the kids, who are most susceptible to the immediate need for something on the shelf. For the collectors, it doesn't matter when they come out - Spider-Men and villains will sell. I think Sony (if it was indeed their call) made the decision to sacrifice the missing Spider-Man for the sake of excitement around the actual film. Box Office would indicate that gamble paid off.

I get that we are all pissed off we don't have a new Tobey and Andrew Spidey in our hands now... but they're coming. There is almost zero chance we don't see most if not all of the figures people are asking for in the next 16 months.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:43 pm

I definitely agree. There is no way they won't do all these figures. It's just a matter of time.
Guilherme
Super Poseable

Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:44 pm

There's a brazilian brand of collectibles and statues called Iron Studios. Recently, one of the brand's representatives stated in a well-known brazilian geek podcast that he had been told about Tobey and Andrew's participation well in advance of the movie's release (he didn't specify how long), he even mentioned about the participation of Charlie Cox.

I'm aware that Iron Studios and Hasbro are not the same company and operate in different ways, but I find it highly unlikely that Hasbro has not been informed about the villains and different characters that appear in the film.

This just seems like BS from the marketing team.
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:50 pm

Guilherme wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:44 pm
This just seems like BS from the marketing team.
Who cares. They may have been told verbally - but they definitely didn't see anything. I'm sure they even had to sign an NDA, which this Iron Studios guy probably didn't or did and is now happy to say that he knew to feel a little special. Maybe the Hasbro team will come out and say they'd been told - it seems like everyone involved had a bit of fun with knowing but having to lie about it. It made for an amazing movie surprise. It's nothing to get bent out of shape over.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:26 pm

Right. Either way, we don't have the figures but there's no doubt they're coming.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”