Retro AVENGERS & WEST COAST AVENGERS

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Basil Elks
Remembers, things, best, forgotten,
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: the Firm's morgue {which, oddly enough, is in British Columbia}

Re: Retro AVENGERS & WEST COAST AVENGERS

Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:00 am

Wow, nice wave
Beamish
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:20 am

Swap out Yellowjacket with Moondragon. I love the way Mr. Perez usually draws her with those extreme eyebrows. Same with Starfox.

George Perez is a legend. So many iconic storylines, including my favorite all time story - The Korvac Saga. He’s one of the few artists who can draw dozens of characters in one panel like the one I posted - yet facially each character is unique and different. He deserves every tribute and accolade - and a Legends wave dedicated to him would be an amazing way to show our collective respect for this incredibly talented man.
H-bird
hbwrdlngiv, after secondary mutation

Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:17 pm

So many iconic Avengers moments belong to the man - his amazing work in the 70s I grew into later, but my first exposure to him was the Heroes Return era of the Avengers. Prior to the relaunch I was primarily interested in x-stuff, but the return to the iconic designs and amazing art that Perez brought to the revived books was incredible and brought me into the wider Marvel U. Very sorry to hear about his health issues.
Sgt. Stinky
CROM!

Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:57 pm

He is one of my all time favorite artist. His work for DC and Marvel are some of the best books ever. I sometimes hate getting older because of the people we start to lose, family members, friends, celebrities that brought us joy in our lives. Maybe that's why I collect toys and especially Marvel Legends so passionately. Joyous things I can hold onto.
Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader

Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:55 pm

Very sad. I love George Perez’s work. So much Avengers fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SDcomics
Smilies are my weapon of choice

Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:18 pm

renfield75 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:42 am
After seeing the sad news about George Pérez today I hope they do a series of figures based on his designs. His version of Beast, safari jacket Wonder Man, Silverclaw, Firestar, Justice, etc etc etc.
George Perez was the very first comic book professional I ever spoke to face to face. It was at the 1982 San Diego Comic Con. That was my first ever comic book convention and I had no idea what to expect. Back in those days, we had the show at the old Convention and Preforming Arts Center down on C street. The Convention Center we use now on Harbor Drive wasn't even built yet. It was a much, much smaller affair, but nearly all the comic book publishers at the time were in attendance. They didn't have booths, they just used tables with homemade signs. And we didn't have an exhibit hall, it was called a dealer's room. I walked around in absolute awe of the place. Frank Miller, Curt Swan, Chris Claremont, John Byrne, Will Eisner, Jack Kirby, Stan Lee, Gil Kane, Jim Starlin and so many others were all there just kind of hanging out. My 22 year old self was too dumbfounded and too awestruck to try and strike up a conversation with anyone. And then at the DC table, I saw George Perez. He was sitting there by himself. I brought a copy of Teen Titans number one with me hoping he would sign it. I worked up the courage and walked over there. I remember how kind and gracious he was. He could tell it was my first show so he was gentle. We talked for a few minutes. He said he wanted to take a year off Teen Titans and draw Wonder Woman so she could become a fan favorite again. That really surprised me. That eventually did happen, but not until after Crisis.

I saw George several more times over the years at SDCC. Here is the thing I will remember about him: The man was always smiling. Always, always, always. Never dour, never down. Always upbeat and always happy. He loved the fans. He loved the characters. And he loved his job. He spent his life doing what he was born to do. No one could ever ask for anything more.

I love that man and I love his art. I started reading comics in the 60's but it was in the early 70's, during the Bronze Age, that I knew comics were no longer a childhood fancy for me. That's when I knew I was in this for life. And George Perez was a huge part of that. Avengers, Fantastic Four, Inhumans, Sons of the Tiger, Man-Wolf ... his art was spectacular.

Yes, I think Marvel and DC should publish hardcover retrospectives of his work. And both companies should get together and put JLA/Avengers back in print.
He deserves every form of tribute there is.
Very well said, sir. Very well said indeed.

I will mourn George Perez. And I will also Thank God that such a man ever lived.
H-bird
hbwrdlngiv, after secondary mutation

Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:35 pm

Thanks for sharing that SD! I hope all of the love and support people are throwing out is making its way to him. Everyone knows what a titan of the industry he is, but it can only help to know he’s also considered a genuinely lovely person on top of it.
renfield75
CROM!

Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:25 pm

Great tribute SD. George Pérez was also one of the first creators I ever met (in Charlotte, NC in 2000), and he was as lovely and fun and engaging as everyone always says. As I got into comics as a kid he and Byrne were like the Beatles and the Stones, and were the first artists I knew by name and whose work I would actively seek out.

But in the midst of the sad news there is one thing I'm really grateful for...few artists actually get to be artists for a living; fewer still are hugely successful, groundbreaking, and respected. George was all those things and he can leave this world knowing how loved he was and be secure in the knowledge that his work will live forever. That's a pretty beautiful thing.
sepster
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:33 pm

SDcomics wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:18 pm
renfield75 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:42 am
After seeing the sad news about George Pérez today I hope they do a series of figures based on his designs. His version of Beast, safari jacket Wonder Man, Silverclaw, Firestar, Justice, etc etc etc.
George Perez was the very first comic book professional I ever spoke to face to face. It was at the 1982 San Diego Comic Con. That was my first ever comic book convention and I had no idea what to expect. Back in those days, we had the show at the old Convention and Preforming Arts Center down on C street. The Convention Center we use now on Harbor Drive wasn't even built yet. It was a much, much smaller affair, but nearly all the comic book publishers at the time were in attendance. They didn't have booths, they just used tables with homemade signs. And we didn't have an exhibit hall, it was called a dealer's room. I walked around in absolute awe of the place. Frank Miller, Curt Swan, Chris Claremont, John Byrne, Will Eisner, Jack Kirby, Stan Lee, Gil Kane, Jim Starlin and so many others were all there just kind of hanging out. My 22 year old self was too dumbfounded and too awestruck to try and strike up a conversation with anyone. And then at the DC table, I saw George Perez. He was sitting there by himself. I brought a copy of Teen Titans number one with me hoping he would sign it. I worked up the courage and walked over there. I remember how kind and gracious he was. He could tell it was my first show so he was gentle. We talked for a few minutes. He said he wanted to take a year off Teen Titans and draw Wonder Woman so she could become a fan favorite again. That really surprised me. That eventually did happen, but not until after Crisis.

I saw George several more times over the years at SDCC. Here is the thing I will remember about him: The man was always smiling. Always, always, always. Never dour, never down. Always upbeat and always happy. He loved the fans. He loved the characters. And he loved his job. He spent his life doing what he was born to do. No one could ever ask for anything more.

I love that man and I love his art. I started reading comics in the 60's but it was in the early 70's, during the Bronze Age, that I knew comics were no longer a childhood fancy for me. That's when I knew I was in this for life. And George Perez was a huge part of that. Avengers, Fantastic Four, Inhumans, Sons of the Tiger, Man-Wolf ... his art was spectacular.

Yes, I think Marvel and DC should publish hardcover retrospectives of his work. And both companies should get together and put JLA/Avengers back in print.
He deserves every form of tribute there is.
Very well said, sir. Very well said indeed.

I will mourn George Perez. And I will also Thank God that such a man ever lived.

If Fwoosh had a "Like" button, I would click it.
Chooch
CROM!

Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:16 am

Agreed that all love thrown George's way is insufficient to match the joy he has given.
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:28 pm

Started reading comics in the mid-80s and it was all X-Men and New Teen Titans, so George Perez and Dave Cockrum were the first artists I regularly experienced. Loved them both.
Dek
Customized

Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:05 am

Ninjak wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:02 am
We should have a contest of "Who Was The Most 90's Character? To The Extreme!!!"

Who had the most leathery leather jacket? Who had the most leg and arm pouches? Who had the most cybernetic body parts? Who carried the most ridiculously oversized gun?

And for female characters, who had the most thong-tastic skin revealing costume? Who had the biggest hair? Who had the highest high heels? Who had the biggest <ahem> "personality"?

Who would win the ultimate title of the most 90's of 90's characters? Cable? Gambit? AzBats? Mullet Superman? Darkhawk? Rogue? Psylocke? Cast your votes!

Note: All Image characters are excluded from voting because every single one of them was infused with so much maximum nineties-ness it would be impossible to pick just one.
Most 90's?

Easy.

Nightwatch.
DaThing
CROM!

Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:11 am

I will always have George Perez's versions of the FF and Avengers burned into my memory. Those were the comics I read growing up. He will be missed immensely. My thoughts are with his friends and family.
sepster
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:35 pm

Dek wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:05 am
Ninjak wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:02 am
We should have a contest of "Who Was The Most 90's Character? To The Extreme!!!"

Who had the most leathery leather jacket? Who had the most leg and arm pouches? Who had the most cybernetic body parts? Who carried the most ridiculously oversized gun?

And for female characters, who had the most thong-tastic skin revealing costume? Who had the biggest hair? Who had the highest high heels? Who had the biggest <ahem> "personality"?

Who would win the ultimate title of the most 90's of 90's characters? Cable? Gambit? AzBats? Mullet Superman? Darkhawk? Rogue? Psylocke? Cast your votes!

Note: All Image characters are excluded from voting because every single one of them was infused with so much maximum nineties-ness it would be impossible to pick just one.
Most 90's?

Easy.

Nightwatch.

Bloodaxe (actually debuted in '88 but her re-design is all 90s):

EDIT
september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:57 pm

Isn’t Bloodaxe a woman?

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”