How do you prefer getting your Marvel Legends news?

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Hagop
Pietro's Running Mate
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: How do you prefer getting your Marvel Legends news?

Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:49 pm

Who here remembers the pre-ToyFare Magazine days in the 90s, where you called the ToyBiz 800-number on the back of the figure card to get info about new figures from a pumped-up recording that often mispronounced the names of the characters?
Grouch
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:49 pm

Carrier pigeon.
Grins
Avengers Assemble

Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:56 pm

I don't mind the slow burn. Like others have said, it gives us something to look forward to on a more frequent schedule. It keeps the hype up for longer instead of having big reveals and then a lull. I do mind not having the full wave up for pre-order at once. That crap drives me damn bonkers.
CTVampSlayer
X-23 gots a boyfriend

Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:20 pm

MrDucksJr wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:26 am
The current way is fine, we end up with at least one reveal a week now which is nice. Also, people complaining about the interviews could just simply just go look at the homepage later instead of sitting through everything.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

But then what would they complain about?

I don't have a preference for how the news is delivered, I'm just glad we get so much of it. I don't need to know exactly when where and how each figure will be coming out just because they're showing or teasing it. That'd be cool, but it's not like we're never going to find out.
fingfangfoom
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:07 pm

maczero wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:26 pm
TheLoneToyman wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:53 pm
I'd rather they not announce anything at all and we all get surprised when we walk into the store and see them sitting on the shelves like it was when I was a kid.
Not to hard to make this happen. Stay away from toy forums and toy related social media, and you'll have that feeling of being surprised when you walk down the toy aisles.
Except, since everyone else is informed by a constant online news feed, those stores have no product because it's all sold out by the time I get there :rolleyes:

I like the set up of full waves at the big events, and I really miss the dioramas that they used to put together.
But I prefer the slow burn of fewer reveals more often.

What I really prefer is the ability to order a few items at a time. Trying to manage an online order of 5 different properties' exclusives, from a few retailers, all at once, or F5-ing a SDCC exclusives page... that was a major stressor. I would much rather have to track down one or two items in one or two places, and the new format of weekly/monthly reveals lends itself to that.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 pm

I prefer simple and concise lists (pictures help when possible) with no pageantry. I stick to the summations after the streaming events.
mr Articulate
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:17 pm

I will not watch those Hasbro videos live anymore. What a waste of time. Thankfully, I was doing other things while listening. But so much easier to get the summary when it's over.
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:47 pm

All you whippersnappers worrying about your newfangled computer interweb news...

back in my day we only knew that new figures were coming out when we got to the Woolworth's and saw them hanging there.... once a year in October we'd get a catalog from Sears or JC Penney that would have pictures of toys that hadn't come out yet... and that was like a holiday.

And we use to say give me five bees for a quarter, because a nickel had a picture of a bumblebee on it... and we used to wear an onion on our belt, because that was the style at the time...
Grins
Avengers Assemble

Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:05 pm

PantherCult wrote:
And we use to say give me five bees for a quarter, because a nickel had a picture of a bumblebee on it... and we used to wear an onion on our belt, because that was the style at the time...
:lol:
Oooo! Look at Mr. Fancy Trousers here, talking about having five bees worth of money and being able to afford an onion.
I remember carving a turnip for my sweetie and presenting it to her father to put in their Turnip Day stew.
fac
CROM!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:21 pm

PantherCult wrote:
back in my day we only knew that new figures were coming out when we got to the Woolworth's and saw them hanging there.... once a year in October we'd get a catalog from Sears or JC Penney that would have pictures of toys that hadn't come out yet... and that was like a holiday.
The holiday catalogs were awesome to be honest. It really was when you'd first learn that new Star Wars or Micronauts or Megos were coming. Basically that was my Christmas wishlist in easy to explain to my parents form.

Of course the truth is in my day we didn't get that many new additions each year - hard to believe now that we got the same Darth Vader from Kenner for 7 straight years...
saintguillotine
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:50 am

I appreciate getting news more frequently, but to be honest I don't think the current format will ever match the excitement of SDCC or NYTF when Hasbro would show off 30 or so new things.

I'm outside the US in a different timezone so those big con weekends were always so amazing. Waking up jumping online and spending an hour taking it all in. I also think these events were great for those of us that only collect a sub set of characters, just X guys or Spidey or Avengers or what have you. The big events had such quantity there was pretty much always something that got you pumped, and it was absolutely worth the wait.

Feeling like maybe 2017, 2018 were the sweet spot with big reveals at key events and smaller reveals at other cons.

The current program is most suitable for this covid world, and I like the surprise element to it. I haven't watched a stream since the one where they announced the xmen love triangle three pack and I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

My first exposure to new figures is usually on Instagram, with people posting up what they liked from a livestream. Generally speaking I'd have scrolled ig a bit before I do my daily toy news rounds.

Ultimately I don't mind how they reveal new releases, I'm way more concerned with managing the stress and financial strain of getting pulse and us retailer exclusives in my backwater country.

Sent from my STK-L22 using Tapatalk

Jead
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:48 am

I'm fine with drip fed reveals. The only complaints I have are that I'd prefer waves to be revealed mostly at once, and that every reveal should mention how, when, where, and price.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”