How do you prefer getting your Marvel Legends news?

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Ultramane
CROM!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: How do you prefer getting your Marvel Legends news?

Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:28 am

lmao lmao absolutely lmao dying reading this lmao thread lmao. i don't lmao watch any of these lmao live reveals, i just lmao check the news lmao sites after. what a lmao weird thing to lmao whine about lmao lmao lmao lmao
Bashbash99
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:25 pm

Personally i liked the big reveal sessions at toyfair and sdcc (as well as finding them better for planning), and find the more frequent reveals underwhelming, but i'm sure it probably boosts hasbro's preorders and raises "brand awareness" or whatever. When the big conventions come back, i'm sure hasbro will have presentations prepared but probably not as big as previous years as i think hasbro likes spreading the news out over the year instead of a couple of big info dumps.
H-bird
hbwrdlngiv, after secondary mutation

Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:49 pm

I like the pace of reveals now. I do agree that the more frequent use of renders to show off new figures is underwhelming - it's one thing to show one off at the end of a stream as a sneak peek, but to show (and solicit preorders) for an entire wave using just renders is pretty meh. I assume that getting prototypes moved around from person to person is made more complicated with covid-related shipping delays and work from home arrangements so hopefully it will not become the norm long term.

I did always love the big shows where dozens of figures were revealed - it was fun seeing half a year's worth of new product all displayed together. If/when conventions are back in force I hope the Legends team will still show off full displays of all upcoming product even if they're maintaining the more regular flow of information.
ig64
Hot Female Designated Assassin Droid

Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:12 pm

The regular drip of reveals and frequent livestreams is way better than the once or twice a year infodump. There is always something to look forward to. If you don't like to actually watch livestreams, there is always a written summary at Fwoosh.
maczero
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:23 pm

No contest. I'd rather get reveals on a monthly basis rather than saving them up for a big event. Hell, I could see myself losing interest in the hobby if there was nothing new to talk about until SDCC or New York Toy Fair.
Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader

Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:43 pm

I love the monthly live streams. Lots of news all the time makes this all a lot more interesting and gives individual releases more time to shine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheLoneToyman
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:53 pm

I'd rather they not announce anything at all and we all get surprised when we walk into the store and see them sitting on the shelves like it was when I was a kid.

But those days are gone. I'm sure that the big show reveals will return, but I wouldn't be surprised if they keep doing smaller reveals along with them as well. Either way, I'm fine. I have a lot of other things going on in my life that make it hard to get too hung up on how and when toys are revealed.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:10 pm

I prefer to find out about toys from NPR, PBS, NYT.
Junkpile
one man's trash...

Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:28 pm

Monthly is fine.
No offense to anyone involved, but I’m through with the livestream interviews, though.
H-bird
hbwrdlngiv, after secondary mutation

Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:44 pm

I only watched Joe and Marvel at the 1027 thing yesterday but they were good - the Joe one at least you could tell they edited for time and brevity. The PulseCon interviews went pretty long for my taste, but I know they were trying to capture some of that convention magic that’s been missing from the world since last year. If PulseCon also had a huge product drop it might have balanced out the 2 hour runtime and made it seem worth the watch to people who only tuned in for ML news.
minitaur
Super Poseable

Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:56 pm

I absolutely hate, hate, hate, unannounced random sporadic small reveals. The outcome is that I feel obligated to check Reddit and Fwoosh multiple times per day or I risk a new reveal that is fan channel exclusive and sells out of hasbro pulse within a few hours and I miss it.

I think for me an ideal thing would be an announced calendar of monthly reveals and I put it on my calendar to know to to check for stuff to preorder. But, I need these in advance, none of the “get ready for a fan first reveal in 2 days” or I essentially have to check daily for the announcement of the announcement.

I’ve been spending too much time obsessing about toys and toy news the last year and it’s burning me out on the hobby and I may scale back significantly because I feel like if I can’t keep up on daily news, I can’t participate in the hobby. I know intellectually it’s not true, I can always pay double for figures I want on eBay.

Here’s an example. I missed the Amazon and BBTS Watcher Marvel Select preorder that came up earlier this year and the only place it was available was DS which hasn’t been good at fulfilling hard to get figures for me due to their distributor. So now I’m waiting/praying for DS to come through with that figure that I had to prepay in full with maybe 30% chance it eventually comes. Because I was a little late in checking the toy news that morning. And this would be a 6x price increase on eBay, they’re going for $180 now.
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face

Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:59 pm

Typically it’s the livestreams and fwoosh in the post covid world that we live in. But prior to that I’d just head over to Toyark first and look for press junkets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
maczero
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:26 pm

TheLoneToyman wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:53 pm
I'd rather they not announce anything at all and we all get surprised when we walk into the store and see them sitting on the shelves like it was when I was a kid.
Not to hard to make this happen. Stay away from toy forums and toy related social media, and you'll have that feeling of being surprised when you walk down the toy aisles.
minitaur wrote: I think for me an ideal thing would be an announced calendar of monthly reveals and I put it on my calendar to know to to check for stuff to preorder. But, I need these in advance, none of the “get ready for a fan first reveal in 2 days” or I essentially have to check daily for the announcement of the announcement.
I'm surprised Hasbro Pulse doesn't post a calendar of events. It seems like that's something they should have instituted from day one of Hasbro using Pulse as its social media focus.
RAM
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:38 pm

I like that we get things revealed to us monthly, but leaving baf wave and multi pack reveals open-ended all the time has grown weary, imo.

And if they insist on having someone blabber about nothing ML related for a long period of time, Dan wouldn’t be my 1st (or 2nd) choice. At this point, he’s pretty hard for me to listen to.
minitaur
Super Poseable

Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:44 pm

Here’s something that makes me not want to collect figures anymore. I find out today about the GI Joe Cobra officer reveal from yesterday and it’s sold out on Amazon and Hasbro Pulse already. So now I either pay $2 extra and wait the absolute longest of any retailer to deliver and buy off BBTS or I go through DS and flip a coin if I wait until next December and get the order cancelled, and the other side of that coin flip is they deliver first before any other retailer.

Hasbro Pulse: guaranteed to get it at retail price, guaranteed to be slow
Amazon: guaranteed to get it at retail price, will be medium delivery speed, but you will get it, will sell out fastest because they’re the best retailer
BBTS: guaranteed to get it at more expensive than retail, will be slowest possible delivery of all retailers, but guaranteed to get it eventually
DS: sometimes retail, sometimes a couple dollars over retail. No guarantee to ever get it. If you get it, it can be the absolute fastest of any retailer, or you can wait months until after everyone else gets it to have your order cancelled

The above has been my experience so I prefer hasbro pulse and Amazon and they sell out very very quickly after the preorder opens, because I guess every other toy collector also prefers the guarantee of getting the thing at the retail price.

I keep telling myself to scale back on consuming the toy news because I obsessively check multiple times each day and I still miss stuff. I’ve also never been able to preorder any Mezco figure, they sell out by the time I see the Fwoosh weekly podcast on Saturday and aren’t always on the Fwoosh main page.

I feel like I need to check the marvel legends subreddit, gi joe subreddit, storm collectibles subreddit, Mezco subreddit, BBTS new preorder page (so I can know to buy off Amazon or hasbro pulse) and Fwoosh front page, at least 3x a day to avoid missing a preorder.

I love Mythic and now Cosmic Legions as well as Super7 for the stress-free preorder in the window of 4 to 6 weeks.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”