X-Men The Animated Series

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Aleks
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: X-Men The Animated Series

Thu May 26, 2022 8:01 am

Handsome wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 7:56 am
if they do release Apocalypse in his cartoon colors, how much do you think that'll cost? I think the AoA version was $30 back when regular Legends were $20. These are at $28 for regular-sized characters.

39.99$
Mac10
I wish I had super powers

Thu May 26, 2022 8:49 am

I thought I read somewhere that one of the reasons Hasbro used the (rather annoying) loose leg straps a-la-cyclops was to save money so they didn't have to have a special sculpt just for him and could save on paint and time painting?

I would guess if they have gone to the trouble of making a mould with the straps sculpted on they won't have done it just for Morph so we could indeed be in for the whole team in the training uniform look.
H-bird
hbwrdlngiv, after secondary mutation

Thu May 26, 2022 12:55 pm

I just need someone to explain what those straps are actually for before I can worry too much about where they’re placed. No pouches on them, so are they for…pant leg tightening? Emergency field tourniquets?
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 26, 2022 1:08 pm

Aleks wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 8:00 am
This new Storm head sculpt looks much better to me, then THIS

Her hair even looks like a dirty mop.

"Straps too high on Morph's legs". They were in the series. Depends on the frame. In one they are high, in the other they are low. But as long as they don't constantly fall off- I'm good.
Yeah, I definitely don't care about the strap placement on Morph. And as you noticed, in some shots of the show they're high, and in some their low. I know most are looking at this figure for reuse down the road, but I personally don't care about the comic figures to follow. Cyclops was pretty inconsistent as well in the show, so as long as they're there, they don't fall, and they're not that orangey color the old toy is I'll be happy. My only issue with the Storm figure is that they made no effort to make her face resemble the character on the show. The complexion, shape, eyebrows, nose, all off. And if they're giving her power effects, she needs a white eyes portrait. Otherwise, she might be the next best looking figure in the line after Wolverine? Or maybe it's Sinister? I know that's not saying much, but it's basically the best we can hope for.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 26, 2022 1:29 pm

H-bird wrote:
I just need someone to explain what those straps are actually for before I can worry too much about where they’re placed. No pouches on them, so are they for…pant leg tightening? Emergency field tourniquets?
I always thought they were like the zippers that turn long pants into shorts.
H-bird
hbwrdlngiv, after secondary mutation

Thu May 26, 2022 2:16 pm

NORM wrote:
H-bird wrote:
I love that. That’s my new headcanon, and the only reason we’ve never seen them in action is because every X-Man is too embarrassed to actually unzip in front of anyone.
Samael13
way more of a know-it-all than you

Thu May 26, 2022 2:22 pm

NORM wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 1:29 pm
H-bird wrote:
Same.

In-Universe: I assumed that they were there to let the suits be modular in some way, and the straps were basically buckles/connection points/seals. Especially when you've got guys like Wolverine or Nightcrawler, who require special gloves/boots, having modular uniforms seems like it would be useful.

IRL - I assume it was that Jim Lee just thought the straps looked cool and broke up the design a bit.
H-bird wrote: I love that. That’s my new headcanon, and the only reason we’ve never seen them in action is because every X-Man is too embarrassed to actually unzip in front of anyone.
Maybe that explains McCoy's shorts?
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 26, 2022 4:38 pm

Just got a little rush of excitement when I saw a shipping notice in my inbox from Pulse only to open it and find out it was Jubilee and not Wolverine. Oh well.
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 26, 2022 5:06 pm

Misfit wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 1:08 pm
Aleks wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 8:00 am
This new Storm head sculpt looks much better to me, then THIS

Her hair even looks like a dirty mop.

"Straps too high on Morph's legs". They were in the series. Depends on the frame. In one they are high, in the other they are low. But as long as they don't constantly fall off- I'm good.
Yeah, I definitely don't care about the strap placement on Morph. And as you noticed, in some shots of the show they're high, and in some their low. I know most are looking at this figure for reuse down the road, but I personally don't care about the comic figures to follow. Cyclops was pretty inconsistent as well in the show, so as long as they're there, they don't fall, and they're not that orangey color the old toy is I'll be happy. My only issue with the Storm figure is that they made no effort to make her face resemble the character on the show. The complexion, shape, eyebrows, nose, all off. And if they're giving her power effects, she needs a white eyes portrait. Otherwise, she might be the next best looking figure in the line after Wolverine? Or maybe it's Sinister? I know that's not saying much, but it's basically the best we can hope for.

I'm pretty sure they just re-used the same head as the retro wave Storm. The hair is obviously different, but I think it's the same face, just painted differently
AddictBraids
Super Poseable

Thu May 26, 2022 5:12 pm

I'm probably about to receive some flack for this comment, but it always surprises me when I see people complain about Marvel Legends figures not being 100% to their liking. Marvel Legends is a Hasbro brand, Hasbro is major big box store company. These things are mass produced, and are for the most part considered the cheapest "adult" action figures produced, but I feel like people expect these $25-$30 figures to be perfect or damn near. I hate to break it to people, and I don't mean to sound harsh, but Marvel Legends is pretty much the bottom of the barrel when it comes to 1/12th scale action figures. They are cheap, mass produced action figures. Even with the price hikes, they are still significantly cheaper than the "higher end" brands. Theres going to be issues and imperfections with most ML figures. But I feel like some ML collectors expect Mafex quality stuff or at least close to Mafex quality, for $30. I'm sorry but your expectations are way too high if you are trying to compare a $30 ML figure to a $100 Mafex figure. That's why I got out of the ML game a while ago, mainly because I was picky and anal about my figures not being as close to perfect as possible. But ML figures are cheap, so it wasnt really fair for me to expect perfection from a $30 figure. I still buy a ML figure here and there, but its rare and it's mainly only if they make a character I doubt Mafex or Figuarts will ever make. At the end of the day ML actually spoils most collectors with what they give you for a cheap price. If you want perfect 1:1 source material accurate figures, you probably won't get many at the cheapest price range. And even some of the higher end stuff isn't perfect, but when you are paying $100 per figure it's a little more understandable to have some gripes. But for a $30 figure??? Unless the thing is literally falling apart when you open it or the figure literally looks nothing like a character, you kinda just need to accept what you get. If you want better, you gotta pay more.
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 26, 2022 5:26 pm

"when the figure literally looks nothing like a character..." is pretty much the issue most of us have lately.
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 26, 2022 5:31 pm

maschine9 wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 6:50 am
JPC wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 6:41 am
Storm's hair is not right.
I have seen this complaint so often so I must ask; what exactly is not right about it? I mean I have plenty to complain about the costume design, but that is irrelevant.

The figure's hair is too tall. You can see in all of those images that there's at least an extra "inch" of hair at the top on the figure than in the reference. Not to mention the reused head that lacks likeness to the animated character, or even "fits" the new hair well.
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 26, 2022 5:34 pm

AddictBraids wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 5:12 pm
I'm probably about to receive some flack for this comment, but it always surprises me when I see people complain about Marvel Legends figures not being 100% to their liking. Marvel Legends is a Hasbro brand, Hasbro is major big box store company. These things are mass produced, and are for the most part considered the cheapest "adult" action figures produced, but I feel like people expect these $25-$30 figures to be perfect or damn near. I hate to break it to people, and I don't mean to sound harsh, but Marvel Legends is pretty much the bottom of the barrel when it comes to 1/12th scale action figures. They are cheap, mass produced action figures. Even with the price hikes, they are still significantly cheaper than the "higher end" brands. Theres going to be issues and imperfections with most ML figures. But I feel like some ML collectors expect Mafex quality stuff or at least close to Mafex quality, for $30. I'm sorry but your expectations are way too high if you are trying to compare a $30 ML figure to a $100 Mafex figure. That's why I got out of the ML game a while ago, mainly because I was picky and anal about my figures not being as close to perfect as possible. But ML figures are cheap, so it wasnt really fair for me to expect perfection from a $30 figure. I still buy a ML figure here and there, but its rare and it's mainly only if they make a character I doubt Mafex or Figuarts will ever make. At the end of the day ML actually spoils most collectors with what they give you for a cheap price. If you want perfect 1:1 source material accurate figures, you probably won't get many at the cheapest price range. And even some of the higher end stuff isn't perfect, but when you are paying $100 per figure it's a little more understandable to have some gripes. But for a $30 figure??? Unless the thing is literally falling apart when you open it or the figure literally looks nothing like a character, you kinda just need to accept what you get. If you want better, you gotta pay more.
We understand the price difference, we're not expecting MAFEX quality paint apps or unique sculpts, we're not expecting that many accessories. I think most of the criticism here is valid, and within the reality of what Hasbro is capable of doing. For example, the 20th Captain America is damn near perfect. Good sculpt, good articulation, good paint. But they give you a shield with holes in it. Sure, there are some people would prefer to display the shield with the effect pieces on it. But I'm betting a good majority of us would have preferred a vanilla shield with no holes. That's not expecting Hasbro to give us a MAFEX figure or something they're not able to do at the price point. It's simply expecting them to make decisions that better reflect what the majority of fans would prefer.
CTVampSlayer
X-23 gots a boyfriend

Thu May 26, 2022 5:40 pm

JPC wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 5:31 pm
"when the figure literally looks nothing like a character..." is pretty much the issue most of us have lately.

maschine9 wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 6:50 am
JPC wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 6:41 am
Storm's hair is not right.
I have seen this complaint so often so I must ask; what exactly is not right about it? I mean I have plenty to complain about the costume design, but that is irrelevant.

The figure's hair is too tall. You can see in all of those images that there's at least an extra "inch" of hair at the top on the figure than in the reference. Not to mention the reused head that lacks likeness to the animated character, or even "fits" the new hair well.

Oh, okay.
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 26, 2022 5:48 pm

Most of the complaints people have with the output by Hasbro has little or nothing to do with costs outside of complaints about parts reuse. I think most understand what they're in for with Hasbro in that regard. Issues with a likeness though? That costs Hasbro zero dollars to get right, it's all in the quality of the sculpt and the person in charge. And 30 bucks for a Legend is hardly cheap anymore. I can walk into Target right now and by a S.H.F. Goku for 30 bucks. If Hasbro wants to sell us 30 dollar toys they need to up their game. And that's ignoring that it's sort of odd to lobby that criticism in this thread, the one about the specialty line that literally has no alternatives out there.

Hasbro only has itself to blame if collectors are unhappy with this line. They started off showing us a Wolverine that was mostly parts reuse, but had two, newly tooled, headsculpts and a show specific accessory that got the job done as far as creating a character based on the likeness of the show. Then they almost immediately muddied the waters by presenting a Jubilee that is mostly parts reuse, but at least has two heads and some effects pieces. Since then, it's been mostly befuddling and Wolverine now stands as the clear outlier with the exception of Morph who, as a new character to Marvel Legends demanded more unique tooling (even if we expect most of it to be fodder for reuse down the road, it's unique for now). It is what it is and if people want to complain or praise Hasbro they're free to do so.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”